Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Since we are spit balling here, ill throw my hat into the arena. Id like to see GB offer up QB Joe Callahan and WR Trevor Davis along with a 4-5th Pick and pick up RB Jamal Charles and MLB Josh Muaga. We'd be taking on some salary, but we could forget about Lacy and we'd be adding depth at linebacker. KC has very little cap space so they might be willing to take less in return of cap space. This would be good for KC because Andy Reid likes speedy receivers and quality QBs. Plus Mauga is in his final year of contract after a year off due to injury. It would be a bit of a flier for GB, but its a risk with high reward in my opinion. Obviously Charles is on backside of career but would be a service able runner/pass catcher GB could use opposite of Ty. He also is playing for a contact after the season. If GB could pick up a RB in the draft he could sit and watch for a year. All in all we'd be saving money by trade than looking for these positions in FA.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeh89 View Post
    Since we are spit balling here, ill throw my hat into the arena. Id like to see GB offer up QB Joe Callahan and WR Trevor Davis along with a 4-5th Pick and pick up RB Jamal Charles and MLB Josh Muaga. We'd be taking on some salary, but we could forget about Lacy and we'd be adding depth at linebacker. KC has very little cap space so they might be willing to take less in return of cap space. This would be good for KC because Andy Reid likes speedy receivers and quality QBs. Plus Mauga is in his final year of contract after a year off due to injury. It would be a bit of a flier for GB, but its a risk with high reward in my opinion. Obviously Charles is on backside of career but would be a service able runner/pass catcher GB could use opposite of Ty. He also is playing for a contact after the season. If GB could pick up a RB in the draft he could sit and watch for a year. All in all we'd be saving money by trade than looking for these positions in FA.
    I understand what you are saying but, you have to remember this isn't madden and this isn't a simulator. for one why would the Packers make the trade and take on the cap when he is probably going to be a cap casualty and they can take a chance to sign him for a team friendly deal?

for two Callahan and Davis have no trade value. even if you packaged a 4 or 5th round pick Davis and Callahan have no value.

in conclusion I like how you are thinking outside of the box and all but, I really don't see this as a plausible scenario.

RIP Gene Wilder

I think it's pretty cut and dry how we're going to make a push next year...but correct me if I'm wrong.

In a perfect world:

Rodgers gets a cap friendly extension
    Clay/Cobb take pay cuts
    Perry < 9m/y
    Lang < 8m/y
    Cook < 5m/y? (His value could be 4-8m from team to team)
    Hyde < 4m/y

Sign Bouye/Gilmoure/Johnson somewhere between 9-12m/y

Tretter, Jones and Lacy if they give incredible home town discounts.

Draft a CB2/Nickleback and 6' 220 type RB to develop in the first 2 rounds. Maybe another WR if the value is there.

I feel like 80% of that is very reasonable.

Lastly (And this is where i get unreasonable) we also sign a star MLB. I know, I know. Let me dream.

"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekim401 View Post
    I think it's pretty cut and dry how we're going to make a push next year...but correct me if I'm wrong.

In a perfect world:

Clay/Cobb take pay cuts
    Perry < 9m/y
    Lang < 8m/y
    Hyde < 4m/y

Draft a CB2/Nickleback and 6' 220 type RB to develop in the first 2 rounds. Maybe another WR if the value is there.

Lastly (And this is where i get unreasonable) we also sign a star MLB. I know, I know. Let me dream.
    "

I agree. I think it's the only way the packers can seriously compete and win a Super Bowl next year. I just hope Ted Thompson realizes he needs to make those moves. Back to back hall of fame QBs and only 2 Super Bowls to show for it. Time to finally be aggressive and sign some pieces...

We are so spoiled and fail to realize it. The NFC has been consistently better than the afc in my mind for basically the last 20 years. Since favre started his 2nd super bowl in 97, guess how many NFC qbs have made multiple super bowl starts. 2 and those are eli and Wilson. It's super hard to get to the super bowl and it not only requires talent, but it requires luck and health.

Look at Tom Brady. He has 5 super bowl rings, and there are probably less than 10 plays, that had they gone the other way in the super bowl, Brady would have zero. He's been incredible and I don't want to take anything away from him, but luck has played a huge role in every ring he has.

I agree, there's a bunch of moves we can make. We likely can't sit on our hands in free agency at this point. But to act like the last 15 years have been a failure because we only have 1 ring to show is pretty lame. There's teams with hall of fame qbs that don't get rings at all. We got two and they each got us a ring. I wouldn't say I'm satisfied but it shouldn't be disappointing. Getting two rings is hard, and often times the guys who get 2 rings had a heck of a lot of luck or help getting at least one of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekim401 View Post

In a perfect world:

Clay/Cobb take pay cuts
    Perry < 9m/y
    Lang < 8m/y
    Hyde < 4m/y

I'm not arguing it's not reasonable, but I'd argue 80% of that won't happen.

I hadn't thought about the AR extension and his cap number isn't an issue right now. But I just don't see the paycut thing happening. Maybe on Clay, maybe. I don't think with Cobb.

Those contract numbers are fine and I'd love to sign one of the corners obviously.

Here's to hoping we do something like that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    Boobs. I was eating *** one time and she farted

I know a lot of people are very down on our corners, but I think resigning hyde, especially if we sign a legit corner is probably a mistake. He came up with some big plays last year, but he's just not a very good player in my mind with very limited upside. He's a good 3rd safety and 5th corner, but are you really going to pay him that kind of cash to play a role where ideally he doesn't see the field? I don't think I would.

And if we sign a legit corner, I'm not against drafting another corner, but it's not a huge need for me. I'd rather get depth and bodies at OLB or ilb than more corners if we sign one. I think Gunter and Randall can still be good 2/3s if the free agent is our number 1.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I know a lot of people are very down on our corners, but I think resigning hyde, especially if we sign a legit corner is probably a mistake. He came up with some big plays last year, but he's just not a very good player in my mind with very limited upside. He's a good 3rd safety and 5th corner, but are you really going to pay him that kind of cash to play a role where ideally he doesn't see the field? I don't think I would.

And if we sign a legit corner, I'm not against drafting another corner, but it's not a huge need for me. I'd rather get depth and bodies at OLB or ilb than more corners if we sign one. I think Gunter and Randall can still be good 2/3s if the free agent is our number 1.
    I wanna see the numbers on Hyde. If you listen to the fans out there, of other teams, it sounds like they want to pay him more than he's worth.

That's a good point, if you can save that 4ish million to sign a real name, that makes more sense. With Rollins, Randall, and Gunter around and maybe a rookie or low level flier, that type of deal. I think you can deal.

I agree, on a good D, Hyde is at best a dime back and back up safety. He is a safe return man but really shouldn't be the #1 return man. That is worth something from a versatility standpoint. Casey Hayward got 3/15, Hyde doesn't come close to Hayward last year (before the pro bowl year) 3/10 is reasonable.

We are so spoiled and fail to realize it. The NFC has been consistently better than the afc in my mind for basically the last 20 years. Since favre started his 2nd super bowl in 97, guess how many NFC qbs have made multiple super bowl starts. 2 and those are eli and Wilson. It's super hard to get to the super bowl and it not only requires talent, but it requires luck and health.

Look at Tom Brady. He has 5 super bowl rings, and there are probably less than 10 plays, that had they gone the other way in the super bowl, Brady would have zero. He's been incredible and I don't want to take anything away from him, but luck has played a huge role in every ring he has.

I agree, there's a bunch of moves we can make. We likely can't sit on our hands in free agency at this point. But to act like the last 15 years have been a failure because we only have 1 ring to show is pretty lame. There's teams with hall of fame qbs that don't get rings at all. We got two and they each got us a ring. I wouldn't say I'm satisfied but it shouldn't be disappointing. Getting two rings is hard, and often times the guys who get 2 rings had a heck of a lot of luck or help getting at least one of the two.
    Never said I was disappointed on how the Packers have been the past 15 years but wouldn't you think having Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers they'd have more than 2 Super Bowls combined? Resume yeah Tom Brady is the Best QB ever but talent wise Aaron Rodgers is arguably the greatest of all time. The reason for us not having more Super Bowls is because of our defense. Need to make moves else it's gonna be same type of season next year...

Tom Brady is great don't get me wrong but look at the defenses hes had when he won some of those Super Bowls.... Rodgers has never had that. The patriots are good even without Tom Brady.. just look how they did this year when he was on a 4 game suspension. Winning games with 2nd and 3rd string QBs. Belichick is a wizard

We are spoiled for sure but we've had over 20 years of elite QB play and two HOF QB's you'd expect to have more than just 2 SB rings between those two. Sure there are plenty of teams out there that don't have SB rings but they also haven't had the luxury of having Brett Favre followed up by Aaron Rodgers. Expectations should be higher and I don't think its unreasonable to say that we should have another ring or two at the very least.

12 qbs have more than 1 super bowl ring and there are 26 "modern era" qbs in the hall of fame. There were 4 modern era qbs who didn't play during the super bowl era, but 4 of the 12 qbs who won multiple Super Bowls aren't yet eligible for the hall. So basically, of guys who played during the super bowl era, 8 of 22 hall of fame qbs won more than 1 super bowl.

So no, it shouldn't really be an expectation that you should for sure get more than 1 super bowl win if you have a hall of fame qb.

I agree, we should strive to win the super bowl every year. I can agree that there's probably an argument that our management hasn't gone all in every year to win a super bowl. I also see the flip side of that argument in saying that fielding a playoff caliber team for 10 years probably gives you a better chance of a super bowl win than going all in for 1-3 years. But the fact both qbs got a ring is somewhat impressive in itself.

12 qbs have more than 1 super bowl ring and there are 26 "modern era" qbs in the hall of fame. There were 4 modern era qbs who didn't play during the super bowl era, but 4 of the 12 qbs who won multiple Super Bowls aren't yet eligible for the hall. So basically, of guys who played during the super bowl era, 8 of 22 hall of fame qbs won more than 1 super bowl.

So no, it shouldn't really be an expectation that you should for sure get more than 1 super bowl win if you have a hall of fame qb.

I agree, we should strive to win the super bowl every year. I can agree that there's probably an argument that our management hasn't gone all in every year to win a super bowl. I also see the flip side of that argument in saying that fielding a playoff caliber team for 10 years probably gives you a better chance of a super bowl win than going all in for 1-3 years. But the fact both qbs got a ring is somewhat impressive in itself.
    But Rodgers and Favre are probably better than the QB's that have more than two and are better than the majority of the ones in the hall.

I am not completely in disagreement with you. I just don't think its unreasonable to say we should have more than 4 SB's wiins. But i do realize that i am spoiled and i accept that. Since i became a fan back around '94 all I've experienced with this team has been winning outside of a couple of years. Its just a tad amazing to think we've only won it all twice since i became a fan.

Our playoff streak has been amazing but i'd settle for a SB win or two and have missed the playoffs a few more times than we've had. Like i would have taken a SB the year we lost to the Seahawks in the championship game a few years back if it meant we were going to miss the playoffs the previous two seasons since that game.

Honestly, I don't think that's true at all. Everyone says it, but look at a team like the Florida marlins, they won like 20 championships in 20 years and missed the playoffs pretty much every other season. I don't think people would actually want that to be honest.

Think of it this way, we've basically played 2 meaningless games (and by meaningless, I mean games when we've been eliminated from the playoffs) in basically 10 years.

Sure, I'd trade one playoff for a super bowl, but I don't think people would actually trade a bunch of playoff seasons for a super bowl.

But I give up on this topic. There's no way to prove either way.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast