Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    That's the thing. If we won the sb that Seattle year. Then missed the playoffs the last two.

What is happening right now? Melt down. Panic. Anger. Questioning. Discussing firings..changes of direction.

Everything we see now. If we won that sb then missed the playoffs twice. I think this fan base would be twice as irate as they are now.

Nothing but just winning the most recent will ever quell this fan base

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    But Rodgers and Favre are probably better than the QB's that have more than two and are better than the majority of the ones in the hall.

I am not completely in disagreement with you. I just don't think its unreasonable to say we should have more than 4 SB's wiins. But i do realize that i am spoiled and i accept that. Since i became a fan back around '94 all I've experienced with this team has been winning outside of a couple of years. Its just a tad amazing to think we've only won it all twice since i became a fan.

Our playoff streak has been amazing but i'd settle for a SB win or two and have missed the playoffs a few more times than we've had. Like i would have taken a SB the year we lost to the Seahawks in the championship game a few years back if it meant we were going to miss the playoffs the previous two seasons since that game.
    I just think we all have to realize, and this sucks to say, but the Packers missed their turn in 2014. Everything came together pretty perfectly for them that year. No significant injuries, roster of seasoned vets mixed in nicely with rookies who contributed. Home playoff game after a 1st round bye. All of top of an MVP level season from the quarterback. It's incredibly tough to make a run for the Lombardi without these things. We had them, and it was all ruined by the dumbest 4 mins of football in the history of the game.

So we have to look at this era with this huge missed chance on the resume.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    That's the thing. If we won the sb that Seattle year. Then missed the playoffs the last two.

What is happening right now? Melt down. Panic. Anger. Questioning. Discussing firings..changes of direction.

Everything we see now. If we won that sb then missed the playoffs twice. I think this fan base would be twice as irate as they are now.

Nothing but just winning the most recent will ever quell this fan base
    Im kinda confused.. if we would've won the super bowl in 2014 why would wouldn't make the playoffs the next two years? Are we trading Rodgers or something..?lmao You can win a super bowl and be a playoff team the following year still.... cough cough Patriots/Seahawks, But ya idk you guys can find excuses and compare Rodgers and Favre to hall of fame QBs... even though it's kinda hard to compare them to some cause some of those guys are in the hall of fame back when they had leather helmets and Jim Kelly might've never won a super bowl but he made 4 super bowl appearances...? And personally I think Favre and Rodgers are better than most of those Hall of Fame QBs.

Isn't Green Bay nicknamed Titletown for a reason? Why shouldn't us fans expect greatness when we have back to back Great QBs....but our GM won't open up his wallet to help the team get over the hedge. I'm telling ya if he were to sign a CB and LB we'd be in that Super Bowl next year..... even though Dallas scares the **** out of me now

Quote Originally Posted by ShowTimeSHAW View Post
    Im kinda confused.. if we would've won the super bowl in 2014 why would wouldn't make the playoffs the next two years? Are we trading Rodgers or something..?lmao You can win a super bowl and be a playoff team the following year still.... cough cough Patriots/Seahawks, But ya idk you guys can find excuses and compare Rodgers and Favre to hall of fame QBs... even though it's kinda hard to compare them to some cause some of those guys are in the hall of fame back when they had leather helmets and Jim Kelly might've never won a super bowl but he made 4 super bowl appearances...? And personally I think Favre and Rodgers are better than most of those Hall of Fame QBs.
    Cheese posted at one point he'd take missing the playoffs twice to win on in 2014. With hindsight that sounds great. But that would only appease a fan for so long.

Now that i look he meant the two seasons before and I misunderstood

Quote Originally Posted by ShowTimeSHAW View Post
    Isn't Green Bay nicknamed Titletown for a reason? Why shouldn't us fans expect greatness when we have back to back Great QBs....but our GM won't open up his wallet to help the team get over the hedge. I'm telling ya if he were to sign a CB and LB we'd be in that Super Bowl next year..... even though Dallas scares the **** out of me now
    You can tell us whatever you want. It doesn't make it reality. I hope he does it. Maybe he will. The sad part is that if he does and we won it'll be hard to enjoy. All we'll hear is all the titles we missed out on in the past because of moves we didn't make.

That's exactly right. The patriots have basically ruined the league for everyone else. Super Bowls are really hard to get to and they've made it look easy (also lucked into the easier conference with one of the more incompetent divisions).

Ted opening his wallet like some suggested could have easily lead to us being littered with bad contracts and unable to resign Daniels or bahktiari. I'm guilty of it too, but go back and look at all the free agents this forum has clamored for over the years. It's spotty results at best. Remember when jairus bryd was a free agent. We had people going nuts for him. Dude has had 3 picks in his 3 seasons with New Orleans. It's not super often that you go back and look at free agent contracts and say "man that was a great deal" in today's NFL. And the times you do, you can go back and look at this forum and I can almost guarantee we barely mentioned that guy.

I completely agree we should be more aggressive in free agency, especially now after we've been missing more in the draft. We don't really have many young players due for a deserving, large extension on the horizon. So we likely have money to play with. But I get why ted hasn't jumped headfirst into free agency much either. We haven't lost vital players that we chose to be part of the future because we aren't wasting money on overpriced free agents.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Cheese posted at one point he'd take missing the playoffs twice to win on in 2014. With hindsight that sounds great. But that would only appease a fan for so long.

Now that i look he meant the two seasons before and I misunderstood
    Let's ask the same question now. We win it next year then miss the playoffs in 2018 and 2019. Anyone signing up for that? Or vice versa, lets miss the next two playoffs then Rodgers brings it home as a 36 year old in 2019.

Like you said its easy to say those things in hindsight but incredibly hard to say them before it happens.

I just hope TT has been holding out and waiting to dive into FA. Rodgers just turned 33 and you can say he is somewhere in the 3rd quarter of his career, probably exactly 2/3 the way through his career. Once he turns 35 that will begin the last quarter and the last push, hopefully 5 years.

Maybe TT has been waiting for this "back 9" time period to use FA and that it isn't an accident that upwards of 40 mil in space is available. Cause it's also no secret the guy loves the draft and loves to find his own guys rather than overpaying someone else's guy so it's not crazy to think he has been holding out until the pressure truly is amped up on this core, which is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sdh09e44 View Post
    Let's ask the same question now. We win it next year then miss the playoffs in 2018 and 2019. Anyone signing up for that? Or vice versa, lets miss the next two playoffs then Rodgers brings it home as a 36 year old in 2019.

Like you said its easy to say those things in hindsight but incredibly hard to say them before it happens.
    I'd take that in a heart beat. But i value a SB victory over consecutive playoff appearances. But that's just me.

[
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    I'd take that in a heart beat. But i value a SB victory over consecutive playoff appearances. But that's just me.
    Which one?

Point still remains, its easy to say it after the fact.

But if that's not what you did, and looked at the next two seasons as missing the playoffs and 2019 a super bowl win.....still a no thanks imo.

Maybe MAYBE if in both seasons it came down to the wire in the regular season. Like we miss the playoffs by going 10-6 or 9-7 the next two years.
    But if it's two 6-10 seasons 3-7 in November type of deal, no way
    Last edited by Sdh09e44; 02-17-2017 at 03:23 AM.

Let's ask this question a different way. Since the 2001 season, the New York Giants have made the playoffs 7 times and have two super bowl wins. They also have not won a playoff game outside of the two super bowl runs and have 3 divisional titles and have only earned a first round bye once.

By comparison, the packers have 13 playoff appearances, 1 ring, 9 divisional championships and 3 first round byes. (The only reason I included first round byes in the equation is because it's an easyish way to see what seasons your team was likely truly dominant). We also have 8 playoff wins outside of the super bowl run over that timeframe.

Which would you guys rather have in all honesty?

I'm not understanding the whole win a super bowl and miss the next two playoffs still... someone tell me why this would happen if we have Aaron Rodgers at QB and he's healthy.

But yeah I'd take a super bowl next year and then another In 2 years lol obviously tough to say that before hand lol but idk about you guys but I value Super Bowls more than playoffs appearances. What do you get out of a playoff appearance besides a late 20's draft pick and a broken heart after they lose lol it's Super Bowl or bust unless you're a rebuilding team... but that's not the Packers until Rodgers retires. Hopefully we can find a QB half as good as Rodgers and Favre after Aaron's playing days...

The start of the conversation essentially centered around roster building philosophy. Teds philosophy of draft and develop without giving out a ton of big money deals essentially guarantees that we'll have a really good team. We may always have some warts and may need a few things to break our way to win a ring, but we'll always have a shot. We are likely always a top 5 or so team when healthy, but probably rarely head and shoulders above everyone else as the best.

The flip side to that is a team that gambles in free agency. On one hand, you sign some good vets to deals that may make you the best team in the league for a year or two, but could strap you with cash issues down the road, which causes you to lose guys you can't afford.

Then the discussion sort of flips to which is better for a fan. Let's say you employ the first strategy and your team consistently makes the playoffs and consistently plays meaningful football into the middle of January, but you only come away with 1 ring in a 10-15 year span. Is that better than the other option? Which is basically loading up your team to win 2 Super Bowls over that time frame, but in at least half the other seasons you're team is basically eliminated from the playoffs and you're playing meaningless football in December.

It's easy to say take the rings cuz that's all that matters. But I'm saying, and I think a couple agree, that if we really look at it, as a fan, you'd take meaningful football every year over getting a ring then watching your team suck for a couple years.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast