14. Trey Ball, LHP
    15. Kyle Martin, RHP
    16. Luis Ysla, LHP
    17. Chandler Shepherd, RHP
    18. Bryan Mata, RHP
    19. Tate Matheny, OF
    20. Kyri Washington, LF

Lyrics
    Last edited by RedSoxtober; 03-24-2017 at 09:38 AM.

Had legitimate trouble filling out the bottom 5 or so guys. Hopefully we have multiple break out prospects this year.

marrero is just a name people know, he isn't a top 20 prospect of ours.... even with the weaker system

I am interested to see what Tyler Hill does this seaosn
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

Quote Originally Posted by papipapsmanny View Post
    marrero is just a name people know, he isn't a top 20 prospect of ours.... even with the weaker system

I am interested to see what Tyler Hill does this seaosn
    If you're weighing floor/ceiling equally in a weak system, Marrerro can be top 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Monster View Post
    If you're weighing floor/ceiling equally in a weak system, Marrerro can be top 20.
    His floor which is low, is his ceiling.... he is 26, he is irrelevant in prospect terms

His floor which is low, is his ceiling.... he is 26, he is irrelevant in prospect terms
    No, not really. He'll likely catch on with some team as a utility IF'er. We have Holt/Hernandez ahead of him or else he'd probably see decent MLB time this year when injuries occur.

That may be more valuable than some long shot prospect who's ceiling isn't that high either.

^^ Ill agree to disagree

Groome was ranked 20th by K-law I couldn't see anything other than that. I know benintendi is likely in his top 5, Devers could be up there in the top 20.

I could see Travis being in the top 100 some where

^^ Ill agree to disagree

Groome was ranked 20th by K-law I couldn't see anything other than that. I know benintendi is likely in his top 5, Devers could be up there in the top 20.

I could see Travis being in the top 100 some where
    Law has Benintendi #1 overall.

I could only see Groome because I clicked on 20-1 and he was number 20.

We still have a good foundation to rebuild a a strong farm system over the next 3 years (if DD isn't a dumbass)

I'd put our farm somewhere in the 12-17 range,

Longhi, Ockimey, Chavis, Dalbec, Chatham, Raudes. That is the group (before the draft / int FA) that is going to be intriguing to watch this season. It will determine what kind of initial foundation we have going forward to go along with Groome

Especially with Devers, Benintendi, and Travis all closer towards graduating from the minors

Henry Owens expressed frustration about his mechanical difficulties out of the windup. On Saturday, he walked four batters in 2 1/3 innings – all while pitching from the windup. The lefthander said he might talk with Price and Pomeranz about their mechanics, in which their windups harbor considerable similarities to their stretch deliveries.

While Owens’ early-career struggles often prompt mentions of the longer development paths faced by lefties (especially tall lefties), Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal writes that the idea of such late-bloomers is overblown.
    Speier

FanGraphs Top 100 (here)
    1. Yoan Moncada (70*)
    The tools are deafening. Moncada is a plus-plus runner with plus-plus arm strength, plus raw power and an advanced idea of the strike zone. He’s going to strike out, and there are some within the industry concerned about how much. That said, I think it’s important to consider that while Moncada was K-ing a lot late last year he was also a 21-year old who had played for just a month and a half above A-ball and, during a large chunk of that time, was learning a new position. The stat-based projection systems, KATOH and otherwise, seem comfortable with it, and so am I. I think he’ll provide rare power and patience while playing a premium position — he’s looked fine at second base in my looks this spring — and, while it might take adjustment at the big-league level, I think he’ll eventually be the best of this crop of minor leaguers.

2. Andrew Benintendi (65)
    Though he’s unlikely to produce home-run totals commensurate with elite corner outfielders, Benintendi is going to be a doubles machine with elite on-base and contact skills. His natural feel for squaring pitches in various parts of the strike zone and generating hard, all-fields contact is sublime, and 40-plus annual doubles is in range. He could play center field, and play it well, if a cataclysmic deluge of injuries tear through Boston’s outfield, but for now he projects as a plus defender in either corner. Even at age 22, Benintendi’s modest stature belies physical projection and the cement on his physical tools is more or less dry, but his polish and proverbial (but also literal) baseball acumen are terrific, and he’s as close to a finished product as any prospect on this list.

10. Anderson Espinoza (60)
    Espinoza was the best prospect I saw during instructional league in either Florida or Arizona, sitting 95-97 with movement and flashing two dominant secondary offerings. He’s short but not small, his arm works well, he’s athletic and only turned 19 a few days ago.

21. Michael Kopech (55)
    It comes at the expense of effort and violence, but Kopech has one of the planet’s hardest fastballs and flashes a dastardly slider. He also projects for an impact changeup based on his elite arm speed. Some think his command issues will force a move to the bullpen, where he’d be dominant; others see a unique specimen who can handle abnormal physical stress for 100-plus pitches every fifth day and think he’ll at least be an inefficient mid-rotation starter.

22. Rafael Devers (55)
    Devers’ swing mandates that he catch balls out in front of the plate in order to lift them in the air and utilize his considerable raw power, but his hand-eye coordination and bat speed are so good that, even when he’s making sub-optimal contact, it’s hard and to all fields. He’s more agile than he appears over at third and has a decent chance to stay there for a while, but he’s a potential plus-hit, plus-power prospect. That profile holds water at first base, too.

23. Manuel Margot (55)
    A plus-plus runner who can go get it in center field, Margot has solid contact skills, as well, and could probably hit for more game power if an adjustment were made to his swing. Doing so proactively seems unwise, however, when he’s already a high-probability above-average regular.

29. Jason Groome (55)
    Some teams removed Groome from their 2016 draft board because of off-field issues. Just on talent he was arguably the best prospect in the 2016 draft. He’s a big, athletic lefty with a low to mid-90s fastball, plus a curveball and projectable changeup and command. Boston will have to surround him with the proper infrastructure for him to succeed, but he has top-of-the-rotation potential.

*Number in parentheses is FanGraph's "Future Value" calculation which is explained here and obviously has its strengths and weaknesses.

Righthander Travis Lakins looked very impressive in a Red Sox minor league intrasquad game on Wednesday, working to both sides of the plate and getting swings and misses at a 90-94 miles per hour fastball and curveball, while getting some bad contact on changeups. Lakins, who also features a slider to round out his four-pitch mix, struggled in his first full pro season in 2016 to a 5.93 ERA (with 7.8 strikeouts per nine and 3.6 walks per nine) in 91 innings with High A Salem last year before his season concluded due to a stress fracture in the tip of his right elbow.

That said, the quality of his mix, his age (22), and athleticism all suggest a pitcher with as much upside (perhaps a No. 3 ceiling) as nearly any starting pitching prospect in the Red Sox organization outside of Jason Groome. There’s a long way for him to go to tap into that potential, but he will enter 2017 – either in High A Salem or Double A Portland – as a very important pitching prospect.
    Speier

Shortstop Jeremy Rivera, who is with Single-A Salem (Va.), was suspended for 50 games following an unspecified violation of the minors’ drug program.
    Boston Herald

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast