Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advice on buying an Xbox One

I almost bought one back during the Black Friday sales and passed thinking that we still had games we were playing on our ancient Xbox 360 (that aren't backward compatible). Sure enough it crapped out a couple days ago now I'm wishing I had bought one after seeing the price difference from the Black Friday sales to now.

So I have some questions you guys might be able to help me out.

(1) From what I read the 500 GB isn't big enough for most people. I'm thinking a 1 TB is probably gonna be enough because we don't play a big variety of games. I'm talking about probably Mass Effect games, Dragon Age games, Skyrim, Madden, Resident Evil and a few other titles would be most of our gaming.

(2) Is it a no-brainer to go ahead and get the Xbox One S?

(3) I have only ever done physical copies of games from disc. If I do the digital copies will I be able to download them again later if they get deleted somehow?

Gamestop has a Refurbished 2 TB Xbox One for $250. The retail stores have a 500 GB Xbox One S with Battlefield 1 for $250. I'm kinda deciding between those at the moment.

Marcus Mariota

If you don't play a variety of games, then the 500 will be enough for you. I still buy physical copies, but you can re-download the games if you remove them for whatever reason. I still have my launch edition and I am a big gamer.

Don't listen to TT.....he clearly spends all his time playing Peggle. I bought a 500 GB Xbox and needed to buy a 1 TB external hard drive. With 1.5 TB I'm sitting at like 77% full again. Once in a while there is a sweet Games w/ Gold free game that you'll want to download, or they actually have some pretty decent sales once in a while. Having extra storage space is never a bad idea imo.

If I were you I would get the Xbox One S. It's smaller, more powerful, and it will be nice if you ever upgrade to a 4k HDR TV. I'd stay away from anything that Game Stop sells as refurbished. Back in the day I bought a "Refurbished" 360 from them. Took it home and it didn't work. Exchanged it for another, and that one didn't work. Exchanged that one for another, and that one didn't work.....They gave me 4 broken 360's in a rown before I just demanded my money back.

500 is enough for me. I only play BF1, Titanfall, 2k17, Mortal Kombat, Forza and two 360 games (black ops and red dead). but the xbox one s is much more aesthetically pleasing if you're into that kind of thing.

and also fyi (didn't know this before I purchased)--if you wanna hook up your cable box through your xbox then you should probably get one with a kinect.

also physical>>>>>digital

digitals take a lot longer to reinstall--plus have no trade in value

Thanks for the advice guys. I got a new Xbox One S with 500 GB and will end up getting an external hard drive down the road.

I will also be getting the kinect down the road as well.

Marcus Mariota

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys. I got a new Xbox One S with 500 GB and will end up getting an external hard drive down the road.

I'll probably get trolled by mgj again, but my Kinect is currently a bookend on my blu ray shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    I'll probably get trolled by mgj again, but my Kinect is currently a bookend on my blu ray shelf.
    Lol it's out of love.

My Kinect is literally only used to turn on my Xbox and mute it if I'm using my headphones. The Kinect is just a beautiful disaster. Do they even make games exclusively for the Kinect anymore?

Smart choice IMO. If the Scorpio wasn't coming out this year, I'd totally trade my Xbox One in for a One S. I've got a nice Samsung 8 series 4k UHD TV though.

The only thing I use my Kinect for is party chats when I am playing my games online, which I guess makes it worth it because i hate using a mic.

You can always get a external HDD 1TB. External loads faster. Also Bad Company 2 and NAM and BF3 are backward compatible now. I been rocking NAM lately.

Now I'm just trying to figure out how to get rid of this Battlefield 1 digital code that I'm not gonna use for some extra cash. I'm worried about selling it on eBay or something and getting scammed.

Marcus Mariota

Now I'm just trying to figure out how to get rid of this Battlefield 1 digital code that I'm not gonna use for some extra cash. I'm worried about selling it on eBay or something and getting scammed.
    Why aren't you going to use it? The game is amazing.

BF1 is boring after playing Bad Company 2 and NAM for two weeks after backward compatibility kicked in. BF1 is blah flat maps. I only like the forest map for conquest. Servers are dead other then that new game mode which doesn't even show up in server filters. Also I mainly been gaming solo. Well and cracking a few beers to get that 1,000 yard stare on NAM. I been rocking the flamethrower like a boss.

Advice on buying an Xbox One

Google project scorpio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast