Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Dallas Cowboys Off Season Thread

Great season guys.. Yeah, that stung yesterday with the Rogers pass play, but we all know you just can't give him forever back there to throw... If we could do a redo on that play I wish Marinelli had've sent another CB blitz on his backside and a blitzer up the middle.. because it was 3rd and 20 with 12 seconds left, it wouldn've been harder for him to get a completion for a long gain like the one he completed and still have time left on the clock...

Oh well.. Learing experience.

We gotta get better, plain and simple... It starts with our defense. We need a bonafide edge rusher.. a Von Miller type . Can we luck out and find someone like that, with elite edge rushing ability, in FA at a decent price or late 1st round in the draft that would be a blessing... We need other playmakers on D as well.. at LB, DB. Our current players played hard... but it just has too many holes to hold an opposing team's offense that is decent down in a close game.

Thoughts???
    New York Yankees
    Dallas Cowboys
    UCONN Huskies Football
    UCONN Huskies MBB
    UCONN Huskies WBB
    Philadelphia 76ers
    New York Knickerbockers

Let's look at the free agents.

Offense

Sanchez (let walk)
    Moore (let walk)
    McFadden (try to sign, don't expect him to come back)
    Dunbar (try to sign after losing Jackson)
    Williams (not sure on him, will probably go where the money is)
    Butler (not sure on him either, can't hold on to the football)
    Escobar (let walk)
    Leary (try to sign, will go where he can be a starter)

and let's not forget about Romo (he wants to be a starter and they won't let him compete for the starter here)

Defense

J Crawford (try to sign, good role player)
    Davis (whatever)
    T McClain (you have younger players, let walk)
    Irving (try to sign)
    Ash (whatever)
    R McClain (let walk)
    Gachkar (try to sign)
    Durant (let walk)
    Carr (let walk, unless he wants to sign a cap friendly deal)
    Claiborne (toss up here, can play good when not hurt)
    Thomas (let walk)
    Church (try to sign)
    Wilcox (try to sign, will probably want to be a starter though)

Quote Originally Posted by ktuck911 View Post
    Great season guys.. Yeah, that stung yesterday with the Rogers pass play, but we all know you just can't give him forever back there to throw... If we could do a redo on that play I wish Marinelli had've sent another CB blitz on his backside and a blitzer up the middle.. because it was 3rd and 20 with 12 seconds left, it wouldn've been harder for him to get a completion for a long gain like the one he completed and still have time left on the clock...

Oh well.. Learing experience.

We gotta get better, plain and simple... It starts with our defense. We need a bonafide edge rusher.. a Von Miller type . Can we luck out and find someone like that, with elite edge rushing ability, in FA at a decent price or late 1st round in the draft that would be a blessing... We need other playmakers on D as well.. at LB, DB. Our current players played hard... but it just has too many holes to hold an opposing team's offense that is decent down in a close game.

Thoughts???

Thoughts: agree we should try to get a lot better on D but the bottom line is that we need to have better game theory strategy execution in key high leverage moments. Spiking the ball at 38 seconds with a timeout in pocket and giving up the down was ludicrous. How do you improve on a game theory deficiency that seems to be Garrett's weak point. Also we only have 2 year window to improve D while keeping this offense in tack. We will not be able to pay an elite D and keep this O together when Dak gets his 9 figure contract 3 years from now.

This one was a tough lose. Penalties on key drives and defense was the death of us. We definitely need more play makers on D. Pass rush should be our #1 priority, then secondary.

Offense

Sanchez (keep we need a back up, Romo wants out)
    Moore (gone)
    McFadden (Keep him)
    Dunbar (i would let him go if McFadden stays)
    Williams (not constant and will demand to much let him go )
    Butler (he made a few good plays all season yesterday was not his best game)
    Escobar (let go)
    Leary (gone to much money)

Defense

J Crawford (keep)
    Davis (let go)
    T McClain (try keep for the right price)
    Irving (must resign)
    Ash (not sure)
    R McClain (let go)
    Gachkar (try keep)
    Durant (let go)
    Carr (keep for a good price)
    Claiborne (time to move on played well this year but cant stay on the feild, I was rooting for him, but cant trust)
    Thomas (let go)
    Church (see what else is out there if not keep)
    Wilcox (try to sign)

Pass rush should be priority number 1. A great pass rush can make average corners (which we had) look good. From the list of players that are going to be free agents, the only ones i would bring back would be claibourne, church, leary, escobar. These guys could not get to the qb all year, which is why i was not surprised when Rogers exposed this defense for what it really is. With the return of J.Smith, i would look into pass rush and another wr. T-will and butler are without a doubt my two least favorite cowboys. Hopefully they can add a nice veteran who can actually hold onto the ball unlike butler

isn't Brandon Carr under contract for 2017 for 2.7 million?

I think the game was actually lost on the first quarter and a half. Yeah, we rallied, but coming back from a 21-3 deficit means that the team had to play pretty much flawless football....and they played well after that hole. But, you can't expect to hold Aaron Rodgers even with 30 seconds...he basically shredded the Giants and their d is better than ours.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasTeam View Post
    isn't Brandon Carr under contract for 2017 for 2.7 million?
    Unrestricted free agent. Carr is considering retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Romo2Bryant View Post
    Unrestricted free agent. Carr is considering retirement.
    Over the cap has him under contract in 2017 for 2.7million. That year was added as party of a restructure deal and is voidable. Can't imagine the team would voluntarily void it.

http://overthecap.com/player/brandon-carr/606/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/brandon-carr-4372/

This has him as UFA in 2018 as well
    Last edited by AmericasTeam; 01-17-2017 at 01:44 AM.

Don't forget our D has already made a significant upgrade next year with the return of Jaylon Smith. Dude, if healthy, and all signs point to him making a full recovery, is a beast. Great cover linebacker with the ability to close well on runs and blitzes. He and Sean Lee will be a big problem together for opposing offenses.

With that being said, if we can sign a formidable pass rusher and draft either a corner or safety to pair with Byron Jones for years to come, I think is the way to go. Again with that being said, I forget whether it was Kiper or McShay but one of them had Peppers from Michigan falling deep into the first possibly second round. If that happens, I think that is the move.

Another question to you guys, with the way this team is built, would you/do you mortgage deeper picks/future picks to move up in the first round to snag someone if possible? Just looking for your thoughts/input?

BTW that non P.I/def holding call against Witten was bull, so was the pass interference on Claiborne and all the non holding calls on Green Bay was a joke. Sorry but I'm surrounded by Giants fans, had to vent.

I wouldn't mortgage future picks. We are going to need them when Dak signs his contract. Now is the chance to stock up on first round difference makers and role talents for the superbowl push. Can't do that if your trading up.

I wouldn't mind them spending a bit in FA. Not big splashes but some quality vets chasing rings.

Like Desean Jackson and Calais Campbell

Offense
    1. Fix RT
    2. Draft or sign for cheap - a real #2 WR

Other than that O is fine.

Defense
    1. Draft DE, the best one available - with high motor.
    --> Hopefully Lawrence will be healthy, and Charles Tapper will be too (if he's even good)
    2. Draft CB (2) - develop if you have to - but sign the ones you have for one more year. Keep in mind, PFF ranked us number one - as a collective unit, which mean real problem is on DL
    3. FIND ANYONE to be a STUD in DL (more specifically, interior) - Remember the problems Ratliff used to make.

The primary reason I say this is because I do see that there are times where we get pressure on outside, but nothing directly in the middle to help.

I do not think that we have a great amount of money to spend unless Romo is actually traded, if we release - I think we save 5 mil, and if we cut Free loose I think we save another 5mil. This means that, like previous years, we will need to build through draft. I have already looked at FA and there really isn't anyone on D that I like, for this team. - DL Short will cost way too much money.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasTeam View Post
    I wouldn't mortgage future picks. We are going to need them when Dak signs his contract. Now is the chance to stock up on first round difference makers and role talents for the superbowl push. Can't do that if your trading up.

I wouldn't mind them spending a bit in FA. Not big splashes but some quality vets chasing rings.

Like Desean Jackson and Calais Campbell

Desean Jackson - doesn't appear to be a Jason G. kind of guy; and think of that personality with Dez and influence on young team, especially Dak.

Calais Campbell - would like him - but he is 30 and will he sign cap friendly deal on his last possible multi-year deal?

im going off the FA list you guys posted if its true

Offense

Sanchez (50/50 on this, leaning keep)
    Moore (let walk)
    McFadden (bye)
    Dunbar (very cap friendly or let walk)
    Williams (this is the biggest ?, I say, let walk into FA and see what happens. We can try to resign him then)
    Butler (depends how cap friendly)
    Escobar (let walk)
    Leary (i think hes gonna command to much $$$ let walk)

Defense

J Crawford (try to sign, good role player)
    Davis (bye)
    T McClain (let walk)
    Irving (try to sign)
    Ash (bye)
    R McClain (let walk)
    Gachkar (try to sign)
    Durant (vet min or bye)
    Claiborne (i lied about TWill. This is the biggest ? But you cant let Mo walk. Im sorry)
    Thomas (let walk)
    Church (try to sign, you have to keep one of church/wilcox. Im keeping church)
    Wilcox (walk)

First Sim League Title!

Imo the fo should go out and spend some $ on a pass rusher and a cb and draft the best pass rusher available in the 1st rd. No sitting back waiting for bargain free agents. I would'nt mind stealing JPP from the Giants and Trumaine Johnson from the Rams. Let Carr walk resign Claiborne and I think we have found something good in Anthony Brown. As far as wr, if T. Will goes chasing the $, then Robert Woods or D. Jack if he does'nt cost too much sounds and/or draft 1. I just don't know what to do with Butterfingers Butler.

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast