Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

New procedure to UCL injuries may cut rehab time in half for TJ pitchers

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseb...15ba037da.html

Seth Maness isn't the first pitcher to receive this, but is the first in the big leagues. The expected recovery time goes from 12-13 months to 6.5 months.

About two years ago, Paletta also started doing the “primary repair” option for elbow injuries that qualified. He has performed more than 50 of these surgeries, and he is working on a paper about his findings. There have been no failures, he said. Dugas, at Dr. James Andrews’ practice, performed his first “UCL repair with internal brace construction” in August 2013. Dugas has done around 150 of these surgeries and does not know of one that had to be redone or led to Tommy John.

For both surgeons, the average time of recovery has been 6˝ months instead of Tommy John’s 12 months or more. Paletta said 32 of the pitchers who he helped with a “primary repair” surgery have now pitched two seasons since the procedure.

Maness had this surgery last year on August 18. He is currently throwing from 90 feet away pain free.

Pretty amazing and I hope it can be helpful to other players in the future.

Now hopefully they can figure something out for shoulders.

I read this somewhere else and was gonna create a thread about this. This could be huge.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol