Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Alshon Jeffery got a 1-year $9.5 million (with $4.5 million incentives) and Terrell Pryor got a 1-year $6 million deal.

Marcus Mariota

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    I'm thinking a deal gets done that will include draft picks likely moving from both sides. Maybe something like the 5th overall and a 4th round pick for the 11th overall and Cooks. Or something along those lines.

Jon Robinson said that cornerback and wide receiver were the two biggest priorities this offseason. He got the corner and now if he gets a wide receiver it will set up the draft allowing them to take the best players.

With what the market is looking like I think they should push for Hankins as well.
    Right idea, but it was the wrong team. That was a phenomenal deal the Pats made.

IDK if this trade is plausible for both sides but since the Saints are really wanting to build up their defense, So What if we traded 5 to the Saints for 11 and 32. That 32 acting as our 2nd Round pick that JRob wants and the Saints can get Adams or Hooker. Titans can take Lattimore at 11, Davis/Williams at 18, then BPA at 32

Titans 2016 Draft Class

8. Jack Conklin, OT, MSU
    33. Kevin Dodd, OLB, CLEM
    43. Austin Johnson, NT, PSU
    45. Derrick Henry, RB, 'BAMA
    64. Kevin Byard, S, MTSU
    140. Tajae Sharpe, WR, UMASS
    157. LeShaun Sims, CB, SUU
    193. Sebastian Tretola, OG, Arkansas
    222. Aaron Wallace, OLB, UCLA
    253. Kalan Reed, CB, USM

Quote Originally Posted by killthesux View Post
    IDK if this trade is plausible for both sides but since the Saints are really wanting to build up their defense, So What if we traded 5 to the Saints for 11 and 32. That 32 acting as our 2nd Round pick that JRob wants and the Saints can get Adams or Hooker. Titans can take Lattimore at 11, Davis/Williams at 18, then BPA at 32
    I would love that trade. I don't think the Saints would do it though. I also don't think Lattimore makes it out of the top 10. Especially now that Sidney Jones is gonna have to sit out all of 2017.

Marcus Mariota

Eric Walden in for a visit, good depth/rotation signing if we end up getting him.
    Psalms 118:6 - The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?

I don't know if anybody listens or heard it but Jon Robinson was on 104.5 and answered some questions about the offseason.

- He said the reports of them going after Donta Hightower and him visiting are false. They never met with Hightower or had any contractual talks. They called at the beginning of free agency to touch base like they do with the majority of free agents. He said that they are watching his situation though.

- He said the report of them offering the #18 pick for Brandin Cooks was false. They did offer the #5 pick and a 3rd round pick for Brandin Cooks and the #11 pick.

- He said that they felt that would have been giving up a lot to get Cooks. Because they really value draft picks more than anything else. Especially in the 2nd and 3rd round as you get good football players on rookie deals making those contracts valuable.

- He said that the Patriots made that trade and are probably looking at the draft and seeing the same thing as the Titans front office.

- He said that getting Logan Ryan signed was their priority. Sounds like GM speak but who knows.

- He said that they had heard good things about Jonathan Cyprien from former teammates about how he loved football and loved to hit people. That sounded like somebody they want on the team. That his playing style mixes well with Byard.

- The signing of Eric Weems will be more valuable than most people realize because he can return kicks/punts and also do kick/punt coverage.

- He was asked about possibly releasing some of the higher priced veterans like McCourty, Harry Douglas and Searcy. He said that they wouldn't be releasing anybody until roster cuts. Because they are in good situation in cap space and want as competitive of a camp as possible. That they haven't made any moves yet that make anybody on the roster expendable.

So some interesting comments. So far through 2 offseasons Jon Robinson has been pretty straight forward with how he talked about approaching the offseason and goals. So what he says in these interviews hold weight for the future.

So what did he say in this interview and past interviews that might give some draft intentions?

(1) The fact that they didn't offer 18 but were willing to move back from 5 to 11 plus give up a 3rd to get Cooks tells me they aren't in love with anybody at 5. That they feel like they can move back 5 or more spots and still get somebody they have in mind.

(2) I don't know how to take the comment about the Patriots making that trade because they are seeing the same thing about the draft. I could see that implying that they aren't high on the receivers in this draft. I could also see that implying that there is good depth in this draft.

(3) This interview was now the 3rd time since the end of the season that I've heard Jon Robinson mention 2nd and 3rd round picks being very valuable to team building. And we don't have a 2nd round pick. I think the combination of these comments in conjunction with the willingness to move back to 11 makes me believe they will be trying hard to move back on draft day and pick up an extra 2nd and/or 3rd round pick.

(4) He said a couple weeks after the season that after watching film he noticed that they had a glaring lack of speed down the field on both sides of the ball. That it was their priority to address that in the offseason. Well they signed Logan Ryan who helps on the defensive side of the ball. But they done nothing to address the wide receiver position.

(5) He said that this draft has good depth at cornerback and tight end. He said that they would draft a tight end when the time was right. That was before they lost Fasano in free agency. So you know they are drafting a tight end.

(6) Safety is off the board at least early anyways and for several reasons. The first being that they signed Jonathan Cyprien to a 4-year $25 million deal. Which doesn't seem like a move you do before drafting a SS like Adams. I guess Hooker could still be on the board but I don't see it because they have mentioned how much they like Byard and talked about pairing him with Cyprien. Also he has had issues about wanting to quit football in the past. They have said it repeatedly they want guys that love football. And finally the willingness to move out of the 5th pick and back to 11 because Adams and Hooker are both thought to likely be top 10 picks.

(8) Last year the Titans took a handful of players they had interviews and workouts with during the draft process. Who have they met with so far this year?

Alabama DE Jonathan Allen
    Villanova DE Tanoh Kpassagnon
    Michigan DE Chris Wormley
    Alabama NT Dalvin Tomlinson
    Alabama State NT Rod Henderson
    Western Michigan OL Taylor Moton
    Vanderbilt ILB Zach Cunningham
    Western Michigan WR Corey Davis
    Washington WR John Ross
    Clemson WR Mike Williams
    Purdue WR DeAngelo Yancey
    Stanford RB Christian McCaffrey
    Tennessee RB Alvin Kamara
    South Florida RB Marlon Mack
    Alabama TE O.J. Howard

Now here is something to throw out that I remember Jon Robinson saying last year when talking about how the Patriots evaluate prospects. He said that they like to talk to teammates of the players they are targeting to get a 3rd party opinion of their work ethic and habits. So looking at that list.

You have 3 Alabama guys with O.J. Howard, Reuben Foster, Jonathan Allen, Marlon Humphrey and Dalvin Tomlinson all seemingly in play.

Chris Wormley at Michigan you have several other defensive guys like Peppers, Lewis and Charlton.

Taylor Moton at Western Michigan you have Corey Davis.

Christian McCaffrey at Stanford you have Solomon Thomas.

Alvin Kamara at Tennessee you have Derek Barnett and Cam Sutton.

Marcus Mariota

Nice post steelcity. The only thing I didn't like about the Cyprien signing was I felt like it was a clear red flag that we aren't interested in a saftey in this draft, and their are some good ones at the top of the draft so it kind of devalues our pick. We need to move back...I don't really care how far as long as it picks up some quality picks. They are clearly pretty high on Byard so I don't see how we'd draft a safefy and I still really fell CB is way to high of a pick at 5 for Humphrey. I have been feeling lately that Robinson is probably looking at OJ Howard. Mariota seems to have a real connection on the field with Walker and Howard appears to have real skill that could translate to the NFL.

The need for speed on this team is huge. I've been saying for a while that this team needs a true #1 receiver with speed. Obviously the GM agrees and it really stinks the Saints didnt accept that deal with Cooks. Would have been a perfect situation for everyone and it seemed fair from both sides. I think ours was the better offer really.

I personally hope we end up with Corey Davis, Barnett, and/or OJ Howard. I'll be very happy with at least one but whatever WR Robinson selects (if he selects one), I trust his evaluation and will be pumped.

Quote Originally Posted by warehouseisbare View Post
    Nice post steelcity. The only thing I didn't like about the Cyprien signing was I felt like it was a clear red flag that we aren't interested in a saftey in this draft, and their are some good ones at the top of the draft so it kind of devalues our pick. We need to move back...I don't really care how far as long as it picks up some quality picks. They are clearly pretty high on Byard so I don't see how we'd draft a safefy and I still really fell CB is way to high of a pick at 5 for Humphrey. I have been feeling lately that Robinson is probably looking at OJ Howard. Mariota seems to have a real connection on the field with Walker and Howard appears to have real skill that could translate to the NFL.

The need for speed on this team is huge. I've been saying for a while that this team needs a true #1 receiver with speed. Obviously the GM agrees and it really stinks the Saints didnt accept that deal with Cooks. Would have been a perfect situation for everyone and it seemed fair from both sides. I think ours was the better offer really.

I personally hope we end up with Corey Davis, Barnett, and/or OJ Howard. I'll be very happy with at least one but whatever WR Robinson selects (if he selects one), I trust his evaluation and will be pumped.
    The thing is, at least from what we've seen last year, Byard has not really been used as a center fielder, the way maybe they've lead us believe at the time of the Draft, and truth be told he looked good doing it. He can match on TEs, can play in the box and stop the run pretty effectively. And Cyprien can not really be trusted to drop in coverage. He'll likely make his money against the run, which is why it's not a given that he'll be a full-time starter. Searcy is still on roster, sure, but as steelcity mentioned above, they're in a good position cap-wise to let the camp decide who's going to be let go. I don't think safety is off the board for us. If they feel like Adams can play back deep or they like Hooker enough, I'm quite sure they're both viable possibilities. If not, we could likely be getting a Lattimore or Allen at 5, and that's pretty great value as well.

I'm pretty excited about the draft just knowing that we have two picks in the first round. Because I'm looking at the prospects that are expected to go in that range and seeing so many combinations that I would be happy to have on the roster.

I would be okay with getting any of the following

Garrett Myles
    Solomon Thomas
    Jonathan Allen
    Malik Hooker
    Jamal Adams
    Marshon Lattimore
    O.J Howard
    David Njoku
    Reuben Foster
    Haason Reddick
    Marlon Humphrey
    Derek Barnett
    Corey Davis
    John Ross
    Mike Williams
    Taco Charlton

That is 16 players that I would be okay with them taking in the 1st round. Some of these guys I would rather they stay away from but if they take them that tells me that Jon Robinson thinks they check out.

But I look at that list with 16 players on it and the Titans having two picks in the top 18. That isn't counting Leonard Fournette, Dalvin Cook, Cam Robinson, Ryan Ramczyk, Deshaun Watson, Zach Cunningham and Mitch Trubisky that could go in the top 18 picks.

The Titans are gonna come away with this with some very good players.

Marcus Mariota

In 2014 NFL.com changed how they graded prospects coming into the NFL. Since they changed that system they have been doing a pretty good job of grading prospects and several other sites are catching on and pointing to their rankings.

So the Titans are obviously interested in taking a wide receiver in the 1st round. Here are the top receivers as graded by NFL.com since 2014 just for a comparison and their 2016 season stats as well. They haven't done as good a job at projecting the receivers as other positions but here is some info for what its worth.

Sammy Watkins 7.3 (28-430-2 in 8 games)
    Amari Cooper 7.1 (83-1153-5 in 16 games)
    Kevin White 6.9 (19-187-0 in 4 games)
    Mike Evans 6.4 (96-1321-12 in 16 games)
    Mike Williams 6.32
    Will Fuller 6.26 (47-635-2 in 14 games)
    Marquise Lee 6.26 (63-851-3 in 14 games)
    Devante Parker 6.26 (56-744-4 in 15 games)
    Breshad Perriman 6.25 (33-499-3 in 16 games)
    Corey Davis 6.23

A couple ways to look at these in my opinion.

(1) Mike Williams and Corey Davis are top 10 ranked guys from the last 4 draft classes. So thats good.

(2) Amari Cooper and Mike Evans look like the only dominant receivers from this group.

(3) The 8 guys that played last year all of them except for Breshad Perriman either had or were on pace for +800 yards receiving. Which isn't great but that is solid production.

(4) The top 4 guys on that list all went top 10. Parker went 14th, Fuller went 21st, Perriman went 26th and Lee went in the 2nd round.

I'm thinking that this makes me lean even more that they probably won't reach and take one of these wide receivers at 5. That they might roll the dice and see who is there at 18. Unless they can trade back with the Saints or Browns at 11 or 12 and then take a receiver at one of those spots.

Marcus Mariota

Just did a mock draft on Fanspeak. Would love for this to be our draft class for 2017

Round 1 Pick 5- Marshon Lattimore, CB
    Round 1 Pick 18- Corey Davis, WR
    Round 3- Tanoh Kpassagnon, DE
    Round 3- Jordan Leggett, TE
    Round 4- Marcus Maye, S
    Round 5- Dede Westbrook, WR
    Round 6- Ben Boulware, LB
    Round 7- Shaquil Griffin, CB

Titans 2016 Draft Class

8. Jack Conklin, OT, MSU
    64. Kevin Byard, S, MTSU
    253. Kalan Reed, CB, USM

Titans have signed former Saints guard Tim Lelito

Titans 2016 Draft Class

8. Jack Conklin, OT, MSU
    64. Kevin Byard, S, MTSU
    253. Kalan Reed, CB, USM

Just did a mock draft on Fanspeak. Would love for this to be our draft class for 2017

Round 1 Pick 5- Marshon Lattimore, CB
    Round 1 Pick 18- Corey Davis, WR
    Round 3- Tanoh Kpassagnon, DE
    Round 3- Jordan Leggett, TE

Round 4- Marcus Maye, S
    Round 5- Dede Westbrook, WR
    Round 6- Ben Boulware, LB
    Round 7- Shaquil Griffin, CB
    I done a mock and got those same picks in the 1st and 3rd round.

I would prefer to trade back to 11 or 12 and pick up a 2nd round pick. But if we stay at 5 assuming players go where everybody is saying 1-4 then I would take Lattimore at 5. I would take Adams or Thomas over him if they are on the board.

I wouldn't touch Ben Boulware though he failed to hit the baseline metrics at the combine by a considerable margin.

Marcus Mariota

Titans have signed former Saints guard Tim Lelito
    Looks like an under the radar signing. Another guy to come in and compete for one of those guard spots. I believe he has started 21 games as a LG, RG and Center. And in 2016 in 7 starts he graded out as a top 10 run blocker among interior linemen.

He seems like their kinda of guy coming from a small school (Grand Valley State I think it was) and going undrafted. They like small school guys, guys that are walk-ons, guys that go undrafted etc. Because that shows you the ones that are willing to go that extra mile to make it.

Marcus Mariota

I finally seen the contract numbers for Sylvester Williams. I wasn't a fan of that signing before and I hate it now.... 3-year $17.5 million with $9.5 million guaranteed. For a guy that supposedly has been a borderline starter the last 2 years on a loaded Broncos defense.

I know several of the sites had Al Woods graded slightly higher than Sylvester Williams. From what I've seen and read it sounds an awful lot like the Titans might be paying twice as much for the same player.

Marcus Mariota

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast