Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 74
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    10,609

    State of the NHL forum discussion

    We have had a severe lack of activity in the NHL forum this year. While this thread is dedicated primarily to how we can fix the NHL main forum, if anyone would like to share ideas about the team forums, please do so. I know that last year, we achieved some success with the Wednesday Night Rivalry threads, and a few other GDTs. What other threads/discussion ideas do you think can work, and we can commit to? In addition to that game, can we create weekly GDT's for discussion?

    I am also looking for people who would like to dedicate time to creating threads and watching activity, starting as Team Managers. If you are interested, send me a PM.

    No idea will be ignored, so please share what you think will work and we will try to implement it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    20,992
    A quick question - I see threads are disappearing all the time on the NHL forum. Why is that so? Is this something that will be fixed?

    As far as activity goes - I think we need to identify who the main posters are in each individual forum and have them come together. This won't be a solo effort by any means. We need to have everyone contribute to continue the dialogue.

    I think Wednesday Night Rivalry game threads are excellent. It's a great start. But back in the day, when the forum was active, many of the threads revolved around trade ideas and opinion-driven question threads. I would like to see more of that from a variety of people, not just TMs.

    I think this announcement was a great idea to jump start something back in the NHL forum. I'm happy to do whatever I can to help, but I think the first step is to get a group of posters together. I have some people in mind!


    Haters gonna hate

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    10,609
    For the first part, I changed that setting, everything should be back.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    A Phillies Phan in Ocean Twp & BKLYN
    Posts
    6,453
    Would it help if the listing order of sports rotated depending on what season we are in. Ex: Football should be on top now, not baseball? Once the Super Bowl is over place Hockey or Basketball on top until Baseball season starts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    Parity is about equality of opportunity, not equality of results.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Allentown
    Posts
    33,973
    Quote Originally Posted by thefeckcampaign View Post
    Would it help if the listing order of sports rotated depending on what season we are in. Ex: Football should be on top now, not baseball? Once the Super Bowl is over place Hockey or Basketball on top until Baseball season starts.
    I actually really like this idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    20,122
    What used to really drive volumes to the NHL forums were the games... but since lots of the veteran posters have left, those are no fun anymore because we can't finish them.

    My honest opinion for the solution to the problem is that the app needs to be revisited... Tapatalk stinks imo, and the MS is tedious and a stretch to rely on. With that, really driving the app to be friendly to the games (automatic notifications when someone's pick is up and when they receive PMs etc. would be really awesome) would probably increase user activity overall and bring back some of the guys that have pretty much left the site due to pure lack of time to use it. With that not being an option I don't see an immediate fix that's any more than a bandaid.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


    lol, small kid got tripped by a tuba player

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    18,347
    Would definitely like to see the hockey forums get a huge boost in activity. With football season just about over I would have no problem making those Wednesday night rivalry IGT on a weekly basis.

    There are a lot of good, knowledgeable hockey posters on this forum, we just need to all make an effort together to build this forum back up.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Mission, BC
    Posts
    2,991
    Im the only one posting in the Canucks forum lol. No more ink or anybody. Kind of crazy. This forum has lost alot of valuable posters in the last year or so.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    10,609
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaiza View Post
    A quick question - I see threads are disappearing all the time on the NHL forum. Why is that so? Is this something that will be fixed?

    As far as activity goes - I think we need to identify who the main posters are in each individual forum and have them come together. This won't be a solo effort by any means. We need to have everyone contribute to continue the dialogue.

    I think Wednesday Night Rivalry game threads are excellent. It's a great start. But back in the day, when the forum was active, many of the threads revolved around trade ideas and opinion-driven question threads. I would like to see more of that from a variety of people, not just TMs.

    I think this announcement was a great idea to jump start something back in the NHL forum. I'm happy to do whatever I can to help, but I think the first step is to get a group of posters together. I have some people in mind!
    For the rest of this- absolutely get some people together! As far as content goes, we can do just about anything, I just want to know what made this place go back in the day, and we can try to replicate it- or come close to it. We need people starting threads, but as you also said, posting in them as well.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    10,609
    Quote Originally Posted by thefeckcampaign View Post
    Would it help if the listing order of sports rotated depending on what season we are in. Ex: Football should be on top now, not baseball? Once the Super Bowl is over place Hockey or Basketball on top until Baseball season starts.
    We do not have any rules pertaining to the way the forum is organized. I am sure that a lot of people have the specific forums they visit bookmarked on their computer/mobile device anyway. One question I have- MLB starts in April, but NBA and NHL playoffs run until June. How should we run it then? The current staff has talked about this before so I am pretty sure we can get behind this.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    10,609
    Quote Originally Posted by homie564 View Post
    What used to really drive volumes to the NHL forums were the games... but since lots of the veteran posters have left, those are no fun anymore because we can't finish them.

    My honest opinion for the solution to the problem is that the app needs to be revisited... Tapatalk stinks imo, and the MS is tedious and a stretch to rely on. With that, really driving the app to be friendly to the games (automatic notifications when someone's pick is up and when they receive PMs etc. would be really awesome) would probably increase user activity overall and bring back some of the guys that have pretty much left the site due to pure lack of time to use it. With that not being an option I don't see an immediate fix that's any more than a bandaid.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The games make a lot of sense. It seems that the NHL games lag behind in participants, but it is that way with a lot of the games in other sports here as well.

    I can pass along feedback for the mobile app, but that's not something I can control. Being honest, SDI has basically told us that we aren't a big priority, so while I hope some things I have can get fixed in the coming months, I don't think we will see a mobile app unless A LOT of users send them an email asking for one.

    Do you think some of the users that have left for those reasons have gone on to post at another NHL-only forum?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    10,609
    Quote Originally Posted by hughest4 View Post
    Would definitely like to see the hockey forums get a huge boost in activity. With football season just about over I would have no problem making those Wednesday night rivalry IGT on a weekly basis.

    There are a lot of good, knowledgeable hockey posters on this forum, we just need to all make an effort together to build this forum back up.
    I would definitely appreciate help making those GDTs. I know blams did a couple, so maybe you guys could alternate that?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    18,347
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    I would definitely appreciate help making those GDTs. I know blams did a couple, so maybe you guys could alternate that?
    Consider it done.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    10,609
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfeifer View Post
    Im the only one posting in the Canucks forum lol. No more ink or anybody. Kind of crazy. This forum has lost alot of valuable posters in the last year or so.
    I'd like to get them back. I know a few have retired like Sly Williams, but what happened to some of the others? They are who we need to find and bring back.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    10,609
    Quote Originally Posted by hughest4 View Post
    Consider it done.
    Awesome, thanks man!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •