• 1st seed

10 62.50%
  • 2nd seed

4 25.00%
  • GMs click here

2 12.50%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    You are relegated to showing "stats" of old-*** Wilt in his mid 30's against young/prime Cowens (hint: players back in the day came into the league ready. No 1 and dones) with no FG%, blocks/steals/etc etc etc? C'mon man.

And your race infused argument won't work against this young-adult white man, sorry braj. Wilt was just that much more of a beast, as is Duncan. Cowens would suffer against both top-10 All-Time talents. K love? Lmfao. GL there.

I do enjoy that you're theoretically resorting to "hack-a-wilt" though. To me that's a sign of desperation and ultimately defeat in an All-Time game (but again, you scored MJ/Dream and there is a 0% chance the general pop will realize your holes/vote against you)
    The certainty that all the rests of the plebs on this site will vote for me but they're all wrong and your irrefutably right is so you lol.

It's all good, you're one vote.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    The certainty that all the rests of the plebs on this site will vote for me but they're all wrong and your irrefutably right is so you lol.

It's all good, you're one vote.
    To be fair, I know more about ball than all of ya ; )

To be fair, I know more about ball than all of ya ; )
    Lol you definitely have more reason to be confident than any of us

Lol you definitely have more reason to be confident than any of us
    Not sure that's true but I DO stand by my take mon frere.

I'll be honest though, I was just trying to figure out a reason to vote against the MJ squad initally, and the more I thought about it the more I realized the Duncan/Wilt squad could and IMO would win.

Not sure that's true but I DO stand by my take mon frere.

I'll be honest though, I was just trying to figure out a reason to vote against the MJ squad initally, and the more I thought about it the more I realized the Duncan/Wilt squad could and IMO would win.
    I was dead serious and talking about the Warriors for the record. I mean I don't even want to divulge what I would be like if the Blazers had their roster lol

I see that Tredigs made most of my points for me. he has nearly zero spacing with love on the bench. Jordan is being guarded by a very athletic guy who can't stop him, but can certainly slow him down. I also have an insane post defense that will make it very difficult for Jordan to get to the rim. I have Wilt and Duncan I put on Hakeem. i can bring King off the bench for a scoring punch or Jimmy Butler for more defense. I have the guy who has scored 60 almost as many times as every other nba player in its history combined. He AVERAGED 22.9 rebounds per game for his career and at his peak averaged 24.9. you can say things like pace and of course that helped, but he still lead the league in rebounds 11/13 times he played more then 15 games.
    Last edited by dhopisthename; 01-10-2017 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    But like I said in the other thread it was easily predictable that depth was going to be workable. It wasn't a full game. Apparently these games don't fill up anymore and so an all time game with 20 teams is going to be loaded. I told Valade see you in the finals after the first day. Granted I should have said final four and I had to bust my *** to beat a strong RR team but the point is obvious. You have to get in that first group of studs. These games are won by mj/shaq/kareem/etc.
    Ya that's why I made the trade, I guessed he would be able to make it work anyways due to the previous games spending (we actually might have done better this time in comparison?). For me I got one of those 3 guys you just mentioned which helped me at least compete with you guys that all got 2 that round.

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    Ya that's why I made the trade, I guessed he would be able to make it work anyways due to the previous games spending (we actually might have done better this time in comparison?). For me I got one of those 3 guys you just mentioned which helped me at least compete with you guys that all got 2 that round.
    I'd love to see a game where people actually get punished for overbidding on stars instead of rewarded. I still remember Shammy grading out my buy of Shaq as a "C" and an overpay and in a way he was right but I couldn't help but roll my eyes a little because I knew he was going to take me far in the game. The reality is that people need to start bidding +$100 on all the group 1 guys or it won't happen. The strategy is top 10 player or bust because the talent pool for role players is just too deep.

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

I like Valade's team more but his spacing would be the worst of any team I have seen win this game in a long time. The irony of course is that I won an all-time with this starting 5:

PG - Alvin Roberston
    SG - Michael Jordan
    SF - Detlef Schrempf
    PF - Pau Gasol
    C - Artis Gilmore

Kristaps Porzingis

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    I like Valade's team more but his spacing would be the worst of any team I have seen win this game in a long time. The irony of course is that I won an all-time with this starting 5:

PG - Alvin Roberston
    SG - Michael Jordan
    SF - Detlef Schrempf
    PF - Pau Gasol
    C - Artis Gilmore
    Well that team would look better this season considering Pau is hitting over 40% from deep, which goes back to that conversation PSK and I had in the chatzy about 3pt shooting and how we incorrectly assume production from 3 is their ability from 3.

I find it difficult to believe that Pau Gasol couldn't hit a 3 his whole career and then what 14 years in he suddenly develops a 3pt shot as soon as SA asks him to shoot from the corner. What is more probable is he had the ability to shoot the 3 from there (being the shooter he is) and because he was a big man in a more traditional NBA he wasn't asked to shoot it. We can see this affect with Marc Gasol, Al Horford, Paul Milsap, ZBo, LMA, etc.

We assume guys who didn't shoot very many 3's in the 80's or early 90's did so because they couldn't, when for many it was more that they were conditioned to believe that is a bad shot and not to shoot it much of the time. Korver mentioned how it wasn't until he got to Atlanta that his coach gave him the green light to shoot 3's in transition. And that was in the 00's, imagine the paradigm for shooting 3's in the 80's when it first came out? Even Larry Bird said he didn't really shoot them and viewed them as more of a novelty.

Michael Jordan is apparently credited as "can't shoot" the 3 in this and I don't know why. He is a career 33% 3PT shooter with Chicago and if you really look into you see the affect I'm talking about. His first 4 seasons he took .7 3's per game and hit only 16% of them. The next 5 seasons he took 1.9 shots per game and made 33.4% of them. As his volume went up his % went up. I've found that in a lot of cases for players. And even a 33% 3pt shooter will make it a bunch when left open, which is what happened during his first 3pt when he shot 38.7% from deep.

In short, while yes Cowens never actually shot a 3 pointer in that he never shot behind a white line around the court. But Cowens did actually shoot 25' shots (many players did back then), heck a Jerry Lucas jumpshot was called a "Lucas Layup" because of how good he was at it. Yet in this game Lucas is near worthless because he's an older big and therefore he provides no spacing. It's kind of funny how badly we warp players legacies in some cases in this game.

In his time Elgin Baylor was the ultimate floor spacer because he could shoot as a small PF (kind of sounds exactly like what we all want in the modern NBA right now). His original position was called a "cornerman", which as you can guess was so named because he was able to spread the floor and shoot from the corner. Yet in this game he is considered a negative spacer.

Just my random thoughts really

Well that team would look better this season considering Pau is hitting over 40% from deep, which goes back to that conversation PSK and I had in the chatzy about 3pt shooting and how we incorrectly assume production from 3 is their ability from 3.

I find it difficult to believe that Pau Gasol couldn't hit a 3 his whole career and then what 14 years in he suddenly develops a 3pt shot as soon as SA asks him to shoot from the corner. What is more probable is he had the ability to shoot the 3 from there (being the shooter he is) and because he was a big man in a more traditional NBA he wasn't asked to shoot it. We can see this affect with Marc Gasol, Al Horford, Paul Milsap, ZBo, LMA, etc.

We assume guys who didn't shoot very many 3's in the 80's or early 90's did so because they couldn't, when for many it was more that they were conditioned to believe that is a bad shot and not to shoot it much of the time. Korver mentioned how it wasn't until he got to Atlanta that his coach gave him the green light to shoot 3's in transition. And that was in the 00's, imagine the paradigm for shooting 3's in the 80's when it first came out? Even Larry Bird said he didn't really shoot them and viewed them as more of a novelty.

Michael Jordan is apparently credited as "can't shoot" the 3 in this and I don't know why. He is a career 33% 3PT shooter with Chicago and if you really look into you see the affect I'm talking about. His first 4 seasons he took .7 3's per game and hit only 16% of them. The next 5 seasons he took 1.9 shots per game and made 33.4% of them. As his volume went up his % went up. I've found that in a lot of cases for players. And even a 33% 3pt shooter will make it a bunch when left open, which is what happened during his first 3pt when he shot 38.7% from deep.

In short, while yes Cowens never actually shot a 3 pointer in that he never shot behind a white line around the court. But Cowens did actually shoot 25' shots (many players did back then), heck a Jerry Lucas jumpshot was called a "Lucas Layup" because of how good he was at it. Yet in this game Lucas is near worthless because he's an older big and therefore he provides no spacing. It's kind of funny how badly we warp players legacies in some cases in this game.

In his time Elgin Baylor was the ultimate floor spacer because he could shoot as a small PF (kind of sounds exactly like what we all want in the modern NBA right now). His original position was called a "cornerman", which as you can guess was so named because he was able to spread the floor and shoot from the corner. Yet in this game he is considered a negative spacer.

Jerry Lucas admitted he played out of shape and was the master of a one-handed push shot yet put up about 20ppg/20rpg. Are we sure this was the golden era of elite basketball?

To me anything pre-80s is guesswork. It is before the 3pt shot and before most of us were alive. I'm an old guy compared to most on here and I was born in 83. It's much easier to write off an era before our time. Some consider it bias but for the most part it's logical to assume that the athletes get better over time. Find me a list of the Olympic world records that still exist from the 1970s. It's short. We are getting taller, stronger, faster and more athletic. NBA players are more versatile than ever. Just look at that thread about Embiid, Giannis, Porzingis, Towns, and Anthony Davis. You got a bunch of 7'0 giants who can shoot 3's and block shots and a 6'11 PG. The game is better and very different now. To assume players from 50 years ago would slide in and be as productive doesn't make sense to me. Are there exceptions? Of course. But again that is a short list.

Kristaps Porzingis

Toughest matchup to date. Im going with #2 here despite the fact that initially I thought #1 had this. Will elaborate when i get back from work and have more time.

I'm a big time Peja fan... so I went with that one lol
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

D antoni did want pau shooting 3s. He just hadn't developed the shot yet. And not everyone can either

And that's not what happened with mj. Just his long 2s suddenly started counting for3s

Baylor could shoot? He definitely couldn't space when Wilt was around
    Last edited by Chronz; 01-11-2017 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    D antoni did want pau shooting 3s. He just hadn't developed the shot yet. And not everyone can either

And that's not what happened with mj. Just his long 2s suddenly started counting for3s

Baylor could shoot? He definitely couldn't space when Wilt was around
    If you're a proficient jump shooter you will likely be able to shoot a 3pt shot especially the more you do it and get acclimated to it. Sorry, D'Antoni in a mess of a situation in LA for Pau doesn't suddenly invalidate the dozens of bigs who are spontaneously developing 3pt shots. So Marc Gasol just worked his butt off all offseason shooting only 3's and suddenly is raining them? Nah, I'm betting he was probably pretty decent to begin with on account of his natural shooting touch.

If you're referring to the years they moved the 3pt line forward then you're also wrong there as the numbers I listed were prior to that change. He shot even better (40.4%) from 3 when they moved the line up. He was a decent 3pt shooter with the normal line and they certainly didn't move the line up between the regular season and the playoffs every season from 91-93 so MJ could shoot 38.7% in those postseasons.

Yes, Elgin Baylor could shoot:

"He was one of the most spectacular shooters the game has ever known," Baylor's longtime teammate Jerry West told HOOP magazine in 1992. "I hear people talking about forwards today and I haven't seen many that can compare with him."

Bill Sharman played against Baylor and coached him in his final years with the Lakers. "I say without reservation that Elgin Baylor is the greatest cornerman who ever played pro basketball," he told the Los Angeles Times at Baylor's retirement in 1971.

http://www.nba.com/history/players/baylor_bio.html

There are numerous other references to his jump shot or midrange game. Did he have range out to the 3pt line? I don't honestly know. But to act like the dude flat couldn't shoot a jump shot (as is thought here) is erroneous.

I mean, Jerry West knows a thing or two about shooting and certainly from his resume knows how to judge talent.

I think the reason he couldn't space for Wilt was that he was so ball dominant and wasn't as much of a catch and shoot guy. We also have to consider this was what 36 by that point. He was a 78% FT shooter for his career and eclipsed 80% several times. Just as a side question, can anyone name someone who could shoot 80% from the line and wasn't at least a decent midrange shooter?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast