Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: Which Team Wins in a 7-Game Series

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1st seed

    10 62.50%
  • 2nd seed

    4 25.00%
  • GMs click here

    2 12.50%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 66
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    23,073
    I gotta tell ya, playing Alvin Robertson at PG is a mistake. Has no range and he wasn't a very good playmaker (even for a shooting guard).

    This matchup is a lot closer than a lot might think. Playing Cowens more to offset the beating Love would take against Timmy? OK, but your team has very little spacing at that point, which is going to be a HUGE issue against that twin-tower-on-roids frontcourt.

    To be honest I think Duncan/Chamberlain win this thing.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    18,363
    Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    I gotta tell ya, playing Alvin Robertson at PG is a mistake. Has no range and he wasn't a very good playmaker (even for a shooting guard).

    This matchup is a lot closer than a lot might think. Playing Cowens more to offset the beating Love would take against Timmy? OK, but your team has very little spacing at that point, which is going to be a HUGE issue against that twin-tower-on-roids frontcourt.

    To be honest I think Duncan/Chamberlain win this thing.
    Playing Alvin at PG is no more a mistake (and actually probably less of one) than playing PG at SG. He showed he was definitely more suited to play SF and at this point is more likely to play PF than SG. He simply isn't quick enough to stop MJ and if he switches to Glen Rice that means either Price or Peja is guarding MJ...
    Last edited by valade16; 01-09-2017 at 10:00 PM.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    25,842
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz:31395963
    Quote Originally Posted by Shammyguy3 View Post
    Kareem cost only $8.5M more than Hakeem - considering there were guys that weren't bid on at all, I say easily
    Really? Then how come we couldn't land a plethora of 3-d guys?
    Clueless.


    Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    25,842
    Quote Originally Posted by Shammyguy3:31395949
    Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    Would he have had $ to fill roster?
    Kareem cost only $8.5M more than Hakeem - considering there were guys that weren't bid on at all, I say easily
    Yeah but wasn't that more of a farce than a good strategy?


    Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    25,842
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16:31395403
    Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    This is exactly the reason why you want Alvin Robertson. He would do great on Mark Price. He would still get dogged by Magic though. I almost want Jordan to go on Peja just so he could swallow him up and then Dhop's only play-maker for an all-time finals would be Paul George. Yikes. But I don't think Valade needs to get that cute. He can just play straight up. The obvious sticking point here is Duncan vs. Love. How much can Duncan dominate that matchup? Maybe this is the time Valade goes more to Cowens? Tough call. My gut says Team 1 still wins this in a landslide but I'm hoping for a dogfight. Will wait at least for opening arguments before placing my vote.
    Will have time for a more full lineup later tonight but yes the sole reason I kept Cowens was specifically for this matchup. Cowens will get more playing time to combat Duncan.
    But aren't you worried about your spacing? You are down to 1 shooter.


    Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    25,842
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrum187:31395585
    It's tough admitting that a Duncan team paired with Wilt is not enough.
    By that argument there is no way I could talk myself into voting against Hakeem and MJ.


    Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    23,073
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Playing Alvin at PG is no more a mistake (and actually probably less of one) than playing PG at SG. He showed he was definitely more suited to play SF and at this point is more likely to play PF than SG. He simply isn't quick enough to stop MJ and if he switches to Glen Rice that means either Price or Peja is guarding MJ...
    Highly disagree. PG is a very good ISO defender when he locks in (he plays up to his competition more often than not I've found) and has a ton of experience guarding the games best SG's. For a player who is going to give you something offensively as well and is the 4th best starter on the roster, it's a fine decision to go with. He's also excellent at slipping screens (random but very true fact about PG).

    Alvin Robertson has exactly 0 experience playing PG, and he is being asked to be the man bringing the ball up against one of the greatest teams ever assembled? I mean come on, that is just a full blown massive mistake. Not as if he's going to be excelling off the ball either. This is a sub 30% 3pt shooter. I just don't like it. Specifically when we're talking about a guy who's never seen a game 5 of a round ONE playoff series, let alone an All-Time Finals.

    Just a side note, but I wish that the GM's would have to choose the years of the players in this matchup, because that matters significantly in some cases. You can't just get the best version of them on all counts. I think me and PSK did that when we took down the last All-Time redraft contest on here.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    25,842
    Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35:31395768
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebbs View Post
    I blame the GM who traded Hakeem to a ****ing Jordan team/. ****ING DONKey
    Lol he woulda had Kareem if we didn't make that 3 way trade.

    I blame idiots who overspent on the following tiers allowing the top duos to round out their teams nicely...
    But like I said in the other thread it was easily predictable that depth was going to be workable. It wasn't a full game. Apparently these games don't fill up anymore and so an all time game with 20 teams is going to be loaded. I told Valade see you in the finals after the first day. Granted I should have said final four and I had to bust my *** to beat a strong RR team but the point is obvious. You have to get in that first group of studs. These games are won by mj/shaq/kareem/etc.


    Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    18,363
    Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    But aren't you worried about your spacing? You are down to 1 shooter.
    Not particularly because contrary to the idea that only 3pt shooting = shooting all of Alvin, Cowens and MJ could shoot. Heck MJ was a 32.4% 3PT shooter his first 3pt and shot 38.7% in the playoffs.

    I also think MJ and Alvin guarding Price and PG is severely going to lower their %'s as well.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    23,073
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Not particularly because contrary to the idea that only 3pt shooting = shooting all of Alvin, Cowens and MJ could shoot. Heck MJ was a 32.4% 3PT shooter his first 3pt and shot 38.7% in the playoffs.

    I also think MJ and Alvin guarding Price and PG is severely going to lower their %'s as well.
    Cowens has literally never known of nor shot a 3 (OK maybe via the ABA or as an elder) and Alvin was horrible at it. They're good at long 2's? So, they shoot a robust ~40% rate from deep mid-range? OK? That's terrible offense and won't work. MJ is MJ but you're leaving a lot to be desired from range, and it would be significant, specifically due to good ****ing luck getting anything done in the paint.

    The more I think about this, the more I know the Duncan/Wilt squad would win.

    0% chance a voting public goes against MJ/Dream though, so nice draft/trade.
    Last edited by tredigs; 01-09-2017 at 11:48 PM.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    18,363
    Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    Cowens has literally never known of nor shot a 3 (OK maybe via the ABA or as an elder) and Alvin was horrible at it. They're good at long 2's? So, they shoot a robust ~40% rate from deep mid-range? OK? That's terrible offense and won't work. MJ is MJ but you're leaving a lot to be desired from range, and it would be significant, specifically due to good ****ing luck getting anything done in the paint.

    The more I think about this, the more I know the Duncan/Wilt squad would win.

    0% chance a voting public goes against MJ/Dream though, so nice draft/trade.
    I mean let's not discount his main scoring is the post-up, a completely dead art because of how inefficient it is. Not to mention, Duncan, despite being deified here on PSD recently was not an uber efficient scorer (career 55% TS), and Wilt was actually worse (54%). Wilt had near zero range so he is posting up Hakeem and where is Duncan? Also in the low post? Nah, he'll be in he midrange to space for Wilt. Career 40% 16-23 ft midrange shooter (who actually shot 38.6% during his peak)

    So you're saying my offense would never work because it has spacing issues when his entire offense is predicated on two post up players in today's NBA? he'll try to pass out of the post and swing for an open 3 but A. His offense will be more for Price and Peja instead of Duncan and Wilt and furthermore B. Alvin is perhaps the best turnover creator in history, MJ, who is among the best turnover creators in history and Hakeem who is the best steals creator of any Center in history. You don't think they'd play the passing lanes when Duncan and Wilt try to dish out of the paint?

    So his offense is every bit as inefficient as mine and then at the end of the game, you're darn right I'm going hack-Shaq on Wilt. So he has to take Wilt out and I bring in Love and get all the spacing I need and Duncan now goes head up against Hakeem.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    23,073
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I mean let's not discount his main scoring is the post-up, a completely dead art because of how inefficient it is. Not to mention, Duncan, despite being deified here on PSD recently was not an uber efficient scorer (career 55% TS), and Wilt was actually worse (54%). Wilt had near zero range so he is posting up Hakeem and where is Duncan? Also in the low post? Nah, he'll be in he midrange to space for Wilt. Career 40% 16-23 ft midrange shooter (who actually shot 38.6% during his peak)

    So you're saying my offense would never work because it has spacing issues when his entire offense is predicated on two post up players in today's NBA? he'll try to pass out of the post and swing for an open 3 but A. His offense will be more for Price and Peja instead of Duncan and Wilt and furthermore B. Alvin is perhaps the best turnover creator in history, MJ, who is among the best turnover creators in history and Hakeem who is the best steals creator of any Center in history. You don't think they'd play the passing lanes when Duncan and Wilt try to dish out of the paint?

    So his offense is every bit as inefficient as mine and then at the end of the game, you're darn right I'm going hack-Shaq on Wilt. So he has to take Wilt out and I bring in Love and get all the spacing I need and Duncan now goes head up against Hakeem.
    Low post positional issues are much less of an issue when you have great passing ability. Duncan has always been a smart/willing passer and Wilt has shown the same (dude literally led the league in APG during his prime just for the **** of it... that's the skill level you're dealing with here). Peak Duncan/Wilt are still owning Cowens on that end and GL with him on offense against that cast.

    It's not a good matchup for your team. They would likely lose a hard fought 7 game series more often than not. You're going against a team that is big-centric and can't even capitalize by being a 3-ball team as a loop-hole win. You'd lose.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    18,363
    Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    Low post positional issues are much less of an issue when you have great passing ability. Duncan has always been a smart/willing passer and Wilt has shown the same (dude literally led the league in APG during his prime just for the **** of it... that's the skill level you're dealing with here). Peak Duncan/Wilt are still owning Cowens on that end and GL with him on offense against that cast.

    It's not a good matchup for your team. They would likely lose a hard fought 7 game series more often than not. You're going against a team that is big-centric and can't even capitalize by being a 3-ball team as a loop-hole win. You'd lose.
    Granted it was older Wilt but it was still rookie/young Cowens but Wilt certainly didn't own him:

    http://www.basketball-reference.com/..._id2=chambwi01

    But I get it, Cowens is and older white guy so he must be slow and unathletic and no match for good C's. Also how would this lineup work:

    Price - PG - Peja - Duncan - Sikma

    Vs

    Alvin - MJ - Rice - Love - Hakeem

    Because that's what it looks like at the end of the game unless he wants to leave Wilt in to shoot FTs in hack-a-Wilt

    My team would win. I do enjoy the argument though.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    34,324
    Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    I gotta tell ya, playing Alvin Robertson at PG is a mistake. Has no range and he wasn't a very good playmaker (even for a shooting guard).

    This matchup is a lot closer than a lot might think. Playing Cowens more to offset the beating Love would take against Timmy? OK, but your team has very little spacing at that point, which is going to be a HUGE issue against that twin-tower-on-roids frontcourt.

    To be honest I think Duncan/Chamberlain win this thing.
    Alvin doesn't need to be a playmaker with Jordan/Hakeem. Do you think him dribbling the ball up to half-court is a detriment to a team? And also - how was Robertson not a very good playmaker? The guy has a career 23.1% assist rate. During their time with MJ and the Bulls'

    BJ Armstrong's was 19.0%
    Ron Harpers was 16.0%
    John Paxson's was 20.8%
    Steve Kerr's was 13.8%

    The 3 point shooting I get - but the playmaking and saying it is a full blown massive mistake for him to dribble the ball up the court is stupid. This team has Michael Jordan, if you want he can bring the ball up himself like he did a good portion of the time

    Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    Yeah but wasn't that more of a farce than a good strategy?



  15. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    23,073
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Granted it was older Wilt but it was still rookie/young Cowens but Wilt certainly didn't own him:

    http://www.basketball-reference.com/..._id2=chambwi01

    But I get it, Cowens is and older white guy so he must be slow and unathletic and no match for good C's. Also how would this lineup work:

    Price - PG - Peja - Duncan - Sikma

    Vs

    Alvin - MJ - Rice - Love - Hakeem

    Because that's what it looks like at the end of the game unless he wants to leave Wilt in to shoot FTs in hack-a-Wilt

    My team would win. I do enjoy the argument though.
    You are relegated to showing "stats" of old-*** Wilt in his mid 30's against young/prime Cowens (hint: players back in the day came into the league ready. No 1 and dones) with no FG%, blocks/steals/etc etc etc? C'mon man.

    And your race infused argument won't work against this young-adult white man, sorry braj. Wilt was just that much more of a beast, as is Duncan. Cowens would suffer against both top-10 All-Time talents. K love? Lmfao. GL there.

    I do enjoy that you're theoretically resorting to "hack-a-wilt" though. To me that's a sign of desperation and ultimately defeat in an All-Time game (but again, you scored MJ/Dream and there is a 0% chance the general pop will realize your holes/vote against you)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •