Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 4 of 69 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 1025
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Punta Gorda, FL
    Posts
    26,714
    99.9% sure Pats wont tag Hightower, still iffy on Browns and Collins. They did give up a 3 but chance they get a 3 as compensatory pick if he leaves. Gotta remember tag for LBs will be north of $15M, that's ATON for a LB who doesn't rush the QB.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    9,050
    Jason Lieser Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

    5:51 p.m Monday, Jan. 9, 2017 Miami Dolphins


    Miami Dolphins’ 2017 offseason starts now, and it’ll be a busy one


    Back from the blustery weather of the Northeast, it’s time for Dolphins management to slide into some flip-flops, pour some iced tea and start plotting for next season. They’d rather be in the office strategizing for what would have been playoff game against the Patriots, but there’s much to be done nonetheless.

    The crux of any conversations as they move forward from Sunday’s 30-12 loss to Pittsburgh is how they can outdo an impressive 10-6 season in Adam Gase’s first year as coach. Some parts of this roster are worth clinging to, some need upgrades. Gase might also be in the market for a new defensive coordinator if Vance Joseph leaves for a head-coaching position.

    The process starts immediately with assessing health. Ryan Tannehill was progressing toward a return and might have been back this week if Miami advanced, but he also left open the possibility of undergoing surgery on his left knee. He suffered sprains in his ACL and MCL and he said last month his MCL has a significant tear. An operation would delay the start of his offseason work.

    Miami also had two players, safety Isa Abdul-Quddus and linebacker Koa Misi, go on Injured Reserve after hurting their necks, and safety Reshad Jones went down with a shoulder injury. Byron Maxwell hurt his ankle late in the season and never made it back, and Mike Pouncey had two hip issues though claims he’s already fully healthy and doesn’t need surgery.

    “I’m ready for this season, ready for this offseason,” Pouncey said as players cleaned out their lockers Monday. “I’m going to attack it just like I do any other offseason to be the best player I can be possibly and I just can’t wait to get started back.”

    There are also a variety of smaller injuries that might need to be addressed, and anyone who was putting off procedures until the end of the year will want to get on that quickly to be ready for the offseason program.

    Once the staff has a handle on which of those injured players they believe can be effective in 2017, it’s time to determine where the depth chart needs help. At spots that look strong, like wide receiver, the Dolphins have to decide whether to re-sign Kenny Stills and find a way to avoid contract drama with Jarvis Landry, who surely wants and deserves a rich extension.

    “I want to be back here, yes,” Stills said. “I love this team; I love these guys… We’re going to do whatever we can to try and make that happen.”


    Stills, who played at $1.7 million this season, upped all his stats from 2015 by putting up 726 yards and a career-high nine touchdowns on 42 catches. No Dolphin reached the end zone more, and he was third in receptions and receiving yardage.

    Other key players headed toward free agency this spring include defensive end Andre Branch and linebacker Jelani Jenkins. Miami might also consider letting go of some highly priced veterans if management believes it go younger and cheaper.

    The most crucial position where that could happen is left tackle, where 32-year-old Branden Albert has a $10.6 million salary cap hit next year and second-year left guard Laremy Tunsil is being groomed to one day take his place. While Albert might have quality seasons left in the tank, any money saved on the line can be used to address needs elsewhere.

    The Dolphins clearly have deficiencies at linebacker and tight end, plus they must stock up on quality reserves nearly everywhere else on their defense. The ideal route to accomplish that is through the draft, where Miami starts with the 22nd and 54th overall picks. The team will send a delegation to the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., later this month and the NFL Combine in February, as well as numerous visits around the country for pro days.

    Free agency opens in early March, and the Dolphins have ample space to make a big move if they so desire. Spotrac has them at $43.6 million in cap space, a number that will change based on cuts and potential restructuring. Chicago’s Alshon Jeffery, whom Gase coached in 2015, made $11.2 million this season and is the best receiver available.

    Once the Dolphins solidify the majority of their roster, their offseason workout program typically starts in April, followed by Organized Team Activities in May and a mandatory mini-camp in June. That might seem distant as the NFL continues with this season’s playoffs, but there’s plenty of work for Miami to do before training camp starts up again if it wants to be game planning for a postseason game this time next year.
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/...DLyXTbPoJh85M/

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    708
    Melvin Ingram: Ingram is notable because there has been a rumor floating around that he wants to play for the Dolphins.

    Per phinphanatic

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    9,615
    We already have the 5th most expensive defense in the league with 44 mil in the dline. Ingram plays LB but doesn't fit the type of LB we need.

    Welcome Back Sweet Prince

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Punta Gorda, FL
    Posts
    26,714
    alexmarvez
    Source tells @sn_nfl that @MiamiDolphins asst o-line coach Jeremiah Washburn leaving to become @ChicagoBears o-line coach

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    302
    Free agency:
    Sign JPP and Julius Thomas (worked with Gase in Denver) and a solid guard. Not sure which CB will be available but it's s possibility

    Draft:
    1. Jabril Peppers
    2. Raekwon McMillan
    3. Bucky Hodges
    4. Lineman BPA for the rest


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,838
    Quote Originally Posted by phinsfan34 View Post
    Free agency:
    Sign JPP and Julius Thomas (worked with Gase in Denver) and a solid guard. Not sure which CB will be available but it's s possibility

    Draft:
    1. Jabril Peppers
    2. Raekwon McMillan
    3. Bucky Hodges
    4. Lineman BPA for the rest


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I personally love Peppers at 22 if he's there. Some people are not too keen on him, but he could fill so many roles for us . . .starting S, insurance in case RJ is not extended, drop down to play some OLB. He's a talented football player. And McMillan in the 2nd would be icing on the cake to rebuild our defense. Bucky Hodges will be long gone by our 3rd rd pick though.

    Our defense is terrible. We should build our defense back up through the draft and sing OL help in FA. best way to go really imo.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Paterson, New Jersey
    Posts
    3,816
    Solidifying the OL is key to this teams progress in the future. With the uncertainty of RT17 knee for training camp and early part of the rear, Miami is going to need a stout running game to win a few games while helping the defense stay off the field since DEPTH is a key problem and won't get entirely fix this offseason (depth will take several years and player development).

    Making a big SPLASH in the offseason is something the Dolphins have come accustomed to. Not many even vision Suh landing in Miami, so anything is possible. Look at the BIG FA and think how they can fit with out offensive and defensive schemes.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    708
    What about letting go of Albert for a pick then sliding over Tunsil. Then signing Leary from cowboys to fill in Guard position?

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,838
    Not sure if I'm imagining it, but I thought I read somewhere that we may get an additional 5th comp pick for Rishard Mathews as well? That might be possible with the way he performed this year.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,700
    Jtown - you mean trying to trade Albert for a pick? Because he's not a FA so if we 'let him go' it would be through release and we wouldn't get a comp pick. And I don't think anyone would give much for a 32 yo 8-10M LT. Not to say that he has a bloated contract but he hasn't been elite and he's getting older. Having a guy like Tunsil fall into your lap and being very cheap the next 3 years is a great way to trim the cap.

    I would be very on board of releasing Albert if he refuses a restructure and signing Leary and another OG. Drafting guards are not nearly a sure thing as the draft community makes it seem. I remember a lot more 1st round guard busts then starters. If you can get two OG starters for the price of Albert, you absolutely do it. It would vastly improve our oline. And you remove Bushrod from being terrible (he was the worst run blocking G but he was ok in pass protection). Leaving out guys like Zietler, TJ Lang and Norwell because they could easily fetch 6-8M per year, but if you can get two guys like Leary for LG and Warford for RG (Warford being another example of a guy that was seen as a steal in the draft, then was terrible, then improved steadily in years 3 and 4... guards take time to develop). PFF gave Bushrod a grade of 41.6 as a Guard. Warford and Leary both had grades of 81-82. Other options would be guys like Omameh (77.1) or Austin Pasztor (77.3). It would be up to our coaching staff to make who fits our scheme of course. Zone blocking vs power blocking vs whatever and ever.

    And about Rishard netting us a 5th, there's no exact way to determine who we'll get picks for. No one knows for sure the formula but there are some sites that think they have more or less cracked it and have been very accurate. They give us a 3rd and 5th and some of them say Rishard getting us a 5th is borderline. We won't know until the NFL officially announces them. It's all prediction or guessing at this point.
    BRUH

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,838
    Quote Originally Posted by LRizzle View Post
    Jtown - you mean trying to trade Albert for a pick? Because he's not a FA so if we 'let him go' it would be through release and we wouldn't get a comp pick. And I don't think anyone would give much for a 32 yo 8-10M LT. Not to say that he has a bloated contract but he hasn't been elite and he's getting older. Having a guy like Tunsil fall into your lap and being very cheap the next 3 years is a great way to trim the cap.

    I would be very on board of releasing Albert if he refuses a restructure and signing Leary and another OG. Drafting guards are not nearly a sure thing as the draft community makes it seem. I remember a lot more 1st round guard busts then starters. If you can get two OG starters for the price of Albert, you absolutely do it. It would vastly improve our oline. And you remove Bushrod from being terrible (he was the worst run blocking G but he was ok in pass protection). Leaving out guys like Zietler, TJ Lang and Norwell because they could easily fetch 6-8M per year, but if you can get two guys like Leary for LG and Warford for RG (Warford being another example of a guy that was seen as a steal in the draft, then was terrible, then improved steadily in years 3 and 4... guards take time to develop). PFF gave Bushrod a grade of 41.6 as a Guard. Warford and Leary both had grades of 81-82. Other options would be guys like Omameh (77.1) or Austin Pasztor (77.3). It would be up to our coaching staff to make who fits our scheme of course. Zone blocking vs power blocking vs whatever and ever.

    And about Rishard netting us a 5th, there's no exact way to determine who we'll get picks for. No one knows for sure the formula but there are some sites that think they have more or less cracked it and have been very accurate. They give us a 3rd and 5th and some of them say Rishard getting us a 5th is borderline. We won't know until the NFL officially announces them. It's all prediction or guessing at this point.
    I think CIN resigns Zeitler, but he would be my first choice. TJ Lang is a pretty good option as well. Leary is good, but not my first option. Warford is my third or fourth fall back option. Osemele got paid last year, I expect the OG position to be the same this year. So we either keep Albert and Tunsil together on the left side and get a RG, or we release Albert, save the $7M or so, and buy some OG help. I don't think we go and grab two OG's for $7M/yr each, but I think we get atleast one of the premiere OG's to hit the market.

    I'd prefer to keep Albert for one more year and get a legit RG, but I'm not opposed to getting two OG's (Zeitler/Lang and Leary) with the money, and then some, we would save by releasing Albert.

    We could release Albert, save $7M and sign Zeitler/Lang (LG) and Leary/Warford (RG) for probably $12-14M per year for both, making our OL complete (pending Pouncey's ongoing hip issues) for years to come. We wouldn't have to worry about our OL for 3-4 years. Imagine not having to worry about OL help? Extend Landry and RJ and beef up our defense with the remaining cap space and the draft. Done and done.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    568
    Just curious how people would feel about trading up? Any players in the top 20 you really want but don't think will fall? Comp picks can now be traded. If we end up with 3rd(OV) and two 5ths(Miller, Rishard) we have some trade chips. Also I look into trading Matt Moore during the draft for a mid round pick, he showed he has value to a team like Denver or Houston. I have faith in Tannehill's knee next year considering the whispers of him playing in the playoffs.
    Last edited by oconn444; 01-17-2017 at 03:10 PM.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,838
    Quote Originally Posted by oconn444 View Post
    Just curious how people would feel about trading up? Any players in the top 20 you really want but don't think will fall? Comp picks can now be traded. If we end up with 3rd(OV) and two 5ths(Miller, Rishard) we have some trade chips. Also I look into trading Matt Moore during the draft for a mid round pick, he showed he has value to a team like Denver or Houston. I have faith in Tannehill's knee next year considering the whispers of him playing in the playoffs.
    I would be really interested in Reuben Foster and Solomon Thomas . . . those are the players I wouldn't mind losing a our 1st & 3rd for.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    9,615
    Quote Originally Posted by jtownsfine5t View Post
    What about letting go of Albert for a pick then sliding over Tunsil. Then signing Leary from cowboys to fill in Guard position?
    Even though I love that combo, I don't personally believe we should be creating additional holes this offseason. Albert is good enough still to not really hurt us for at least another year, plus he's a great leader.

    Welcome Back Sweet Prince

Page 4 of 69 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •