Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

2017 Off-season thread

Curious to see if Vance tries to add any of our existing coaches to Broncos with promotions. Vance getting the HC job looks great for GASE and future assistants on roster. The GASE coaching tree has begun

I read somewhere that our OL coach might be a possibility going to Denver

Also not sure if some people saw this but Jim Washburn somewhat retired. Maybe. But he did clean out his office and leave the team a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by limebalz05 View Post
    Curious to see if Vance tries to add any of our existing coaches to Broncos with promotions. Vance getting the HC job looks great for GASE and future assistants on roster. The GASE coaching tree has begun
    Gase said he doesn't expect much change with the staff which would hint that he doesn't expect Vance to take a lot of people if any. Maybe the other Washburn but that's all I've seen talked about.

Hopefully Burke goes to a more traditional 4-3 to help fix some of the run D issues. If you watch the Dline they're always selling out for penetration and don't put up a wall to stop the run. Until we get the LB core fixed this will be the only way to fix the run D.

Welcome Back Sweet Prince

Quote Originally Posted by CeltBruinSoxFan View Post
    my probable targets in the 1st rd, who have the chance to be available at #22, would be, in order as of today:

1. DE Solomon Thomas
    2. DT Malik McDowell
    3. DE DeMarcus Walker
    4. LB Zach Cunningham
    5. S Malik Hooker
    6. OL Cam Robinson
    7. TE OJ Howard
    8. S/CB Desmond King
    9. DE Duane Smoot
    10. RB Christian McCaffrey

I would make it a focal point to beef up our defensive line. I really like McDowell to rotate with Suh and Philips. He is bred to rush the passer and he is good at stopping the run as well. I'd love Thomas, but something tells me he goes top 15.

I believe Cam Robinson would be a fantastic RT in the future if we decide to part ways with James, and he can slide in at RG day 1 and excel for us. It would be a smart pick for our OL.

I listed McCaffrey because I think he would excel in Gase's system . . . and I don't want to see him go to the Pats.
    agree I would make it our focal point to beef up the DL as well as its just as bad as LB

I'm glad Vance is gone

no way would I pick Peppers over Howard. I don't even think Peppers should be a 1st round guy. I think we will have to move 3 or so spots to get Howard but would be worth it

I also think Thomas will be gone sadly. he is #1 on my board right now of people that are somewhat realistic

I also like Walker, Howard, Davis, McMillan, McCaffrey, I guess one of the CBs though I don't think its a big enough need. would prefer Lattimore realistically. Marlon should be gone

Quote Originally Posted by KodytheKing View Post
    Gase said he doesn't expect much change with the staff which would hint that he doesn't expect Vance to take a lot of people if any. Maybe the other Washburn but that's all I've seen talked about.

Hopefully Burke goes to a more traditional 4-3 to help fix some of the run D issues. If you watch the Dline they're always selling out for penetration and don't put up a wall to stop the run. Until we get the LB core fixed this will be the only way to fix the run D.
    I agree. the wide-9 concept is a great one . . . if you have the LB core that can shed blocks and attack the ball carrier. We did not have that. If we go with a more traditional 4-3 defense, I would expect Philips and Suh to be alot better at stopping the run. The thing is, outside Wake, we have no pass rush. Thats why I think they were trusting our CBs' and LBs' to be better this season . . . to attack the ball carriers and stay on WRs'.

I would look at the DT position in FA, as I think Mitchell just isn't working out. His price is nice, but you get what you pay for. He's not explosive and he doesn't show up that much on game film as a distracting presence on our DL. Maybe teaming Nick Fairley up with Suh again? Suh/Fairley/Philips might be a nice trio to roll with.

Quote Originally Posted by tunnicliffderek View Post
    I'm glad Vance is gone

no way would I pick Peppers over Howard. I don't even think Peppers should be a 1st round guy. I think we will have to move 3 or so spots to get Howard but would be worth it

I also think Thomas will be gone sadly. he is #1 on my board right now of people that are somewhat realistic

I also like Walker, Howard, Davis, McMillan, McCaffrey, I guess one of the CBs though I don't think its a big enough need. would prefer Lattimore realistically. Marlon should be gone
    I guess we agree to disagree on Peppers. I really like Howard, but if we don't fix the defense, we aren't doing anything next year against the upper echelon of the NFL. I think Peppers is an awesome piece to add. He's so versatile and can play almost anywhere in the back part of the defense. A combo of Peppers and Jones would be hard to be upset about.

I would also look hard at Desmond King. I think he can be a good CB in the NFL, but I think he may be an outstanding ball-hawking FS as well.

And yeah, Thomas looks legit at DE. We need a spark of youth and athleticism. The one guy I am very weary about is Takkarist McKinley. I'm not sure what to make of him. I don't want anything to do with him in the 1st, which right now alot of people say he is going to go bottom third of the 1st.

That's why it wouldn't bother me to move back in the draft, or the upper part of rd 2, because there is a ton of talent to be had that may slip. We're not one player away, thats the problem.

Miami has now reached the point that many teams in the AFC have and failed. That team is the Patriots and Tom Brady. The only way you can defeat that man is with a GREAT front 4 that creates pressure on its own. The Giants were able to do it with their 4-3 defense numerous times. Fortunately Miami has the premier DT in the NFL in Suh, but the other pieces are not up to par on a consistent basis. Wake is phenominal DE, but has been relegated to a pass rushing DE and only contributing 60% of snaps or less. DT Philips motor is not consistent but can be elite when the motor is high for 10 snaps a game.

As bad as Miami needs to address other positions, the Dolphins are going no where unless they can compete with the Pats. Developing an elite front 4 and having at least avg players at the LB position is the only way this can occur. The Giants in those years interchanged 8 players on the front 4 to always remain fresh and keep Brady on the edge. They often would line up 4 DE since their advantage was speed and be able to get to Brady at will.

Investing in the DL is needed to overcome Tom Brady and the Patriots. There are some UFA options out there that I'm sure we'll look into as well as the draft.

There a couple decent options in FA for 4-3 OLB. I think Nick Perry shouldn't be overlooked. He was used as a OLB in a 3-4 with GB, but I think he would be very good at OLB in a 4-3. Even Perry Riley or Zach Brown would be huge upgrades.

At DE, the only guys that I would even want to talk about are Chandler Jones, JPP and Charles Johnson. I'm not impressed by the DE market this year at all. May be better off drafting one in the 1st.

Now I believe we'll make at least one really big splash in FA. Would anyone be opposed to signing DT Kawann Short to pair with Suh? Those two in the middle would create havoc, but we'd have $30M or more tied up at the position on an annual basis, but we won't have to worry about it for years. Draft at the DE position to get youth in there (Solomon Thomas, DeMarcus Walker, Duane Smoot, Taco CHarleton) and we could have the makings of a dominate DL.

I'm also a fan of John Cyprien up in JAC to pair with Jones at S. No really good CBs' hitting the market, but pairing Jones with another high end talent could do wonders back there.

Quote Originally Posted by CeltBruinSoxFan View Post
    There a couple decent options in FA for 4-3 OLB. I think Nick Perry shouldn't be overlooked. He was used as a OLB in a 3-4 with GB, but I think he would be very good at OLB in a 4-3. Even Perry Riley or Zach Brown would be huge upgrades.

At DE, the only guys that I would even want to talk about are Chandler Jones, JPP and Charles Johnson. I'm not impressed by the DE market this year at all. May be better off drafting one in the 1st.

Now I believe we'll make at least one really big splash in FA. Would anyone be opposed to signing DT Kawann Short to pair with Suh? Those two in the middle would create havoc, but we'd have $30M or more tied up at the position on an annual basis, but we won't have to worry about it for years. Draft at the DE position to get youth in there (Solomon Thomas, DeMarcus Walker, Duane Smoot, Taco CHarleton) and we could have the makings of a dominate DL.

I'm also a fan of John Cyprien up in JAC to pair with Jones at S. No really good CBs' hitting the market, but pairing Jones with another high end talent could do wonders back there.
    You've mentioned several solid options. I think I'd be reluctant to adding a high priced DT in free agency considering Suh contract. I could see Miami offering JPP who has been an excellent run defender and inside pass rusher in his career. He isn't the kind of guy who will rush from the outside and beat the tackle. He will use his inside moves and defeat them while collapsing the pocket and getting his hands arms in the air to swat balls down.

Even if Miami added a JPP, I'd still be open to adding another DE in the first round because you simply can never have enough pass rushers.

This CB class is crap, but the Safety class has some talent. I like the hard hitting Dallas Cowboy JJ Wilcox. He's a Georgia Southern Alum as well. Need some depth and competition at the safety position. There are several OLB like Zach Brown that could fit in our scheme as well.

I'd like to see the evaluation from Gase on Jordan Philips. I thought he'd take the next step in 2016.

I think we HAVE to sign atleast one good LB in FA, being we need two. This is who I'm looking at

Jamie Collins - 26, easy top LB in the FA class can do eveything
    Malcolm Smith - 27, been very good for 2 years after being a backup on the seahawks
    Zach Brown - 27, has had good seasons before but health has been an issue
    Lawrence Timmons - 30, not as good as he once was but still good, only has played in a 3-4
    Melvin Ingram - 27, has only played 3-4 olb but is very athletic
    Dont'a Hightower - 26, very good vs the run
    Kevin Minter - 26, has some talant and is athletic
    Gerald Hodges - 26, had a good season on a bad D

By Barry Jackson

bjackson@miamiherald.com

The Dolphins will have ample cap space and also are poised to add at least two draft picks, even though they’re also losing two picks because of a trade last May. We detail all of that here.

In the meantime, here’s a position-by-position look at where Miami stands:

▪ Quarterback: The Dolphins are set, with Ryan Tannehill and Matt Moore under contract. Tannehill’s salary rises to s17.9 million and his cap hit to $20.3 million. Moore is scheduled to make $1.75 million, reasonable for a quality backup.

Brandon Doughty, who spent most of the season on the practice squad, will have another chance to stick as a No. 3.

▪ Running back: The Dolphins are set here, with Jay Ajayi under contract at $615,000 for 2017, and Kenyan Drake at $595,000. The Dolphins are expected to keep Damien Williams, a restricted free agent who had six touchdowns this season.

▪ Wide receiver: The Dolphins are expected to make every effort to keep free-agent Kenny Stills, who caught nine touchdowns and finished third in the league in average yards per catch (17.3). But if the bidding goes too high, Miami could move on.

The Dolphins likely will offer an extension to Jarvis Landry, who’s entering the last year of his contract. DeVante Parker is back on a reasonable rookie contract ($1.4 million next season).

Carroo and Jakeem Grant must earn jobs in training camp, with Carroo a mild disappointment and Grant at risk if he cannot curtail his fumbling issues on returns.

▪ Offensive line: Branden Albert, Laremy Tunsil, Mike Pouncey and Ja’Wuan James are under contract, but the question is whether Miami might ask Albert to take a pay cut from $8.9 million to lower his $10.6 million cap hit. Though Tunsil is the team’s left tackle of the future and Albert has done terrific work mentoring him, Albert said earlier this season that the notion of shifting to guard at this point of his career is unappealing.

Sam Young, who was inactive Sunday, recently was signed to a 2017 contract. Bushrod is a free agent and seems unlikely to return. Kraig Urbik, who started the final four games at center, is under contract for next season and due $1.2 million.

Pouncey, one of the most critical players on offense, said he expects to be fully healed from his hip injury well before the offseason program.

▪ Tight end: The Dolphins will try to keep unrestricted free agent Dion Sims and might add another veteran or draft pick, with UM’s David Nkoju also those likely to draw close inspection from Dolphins officials.

MarQueis Gray signed a two-year deal recently and is expected to return as the No. 3 tight end, if not No. 2. Jordan Cameron assuredly won’t be back.

▪ Defensive line: Ndamukong Suh and Cameron Wake and likely Jordan Phillips will return, but everything else is in question.

For starters, the Dolphins must decide how much to bid for Andre Branch, who injected energy when he became a starter in Week 6 but was uneven in setting the edge against the run.

Mario Williams and recently-released Jason Jones won’t be back, and Dion Jordan won’t be either, according to a Miami Herald report. So at least two defensive ends will be added even if Branch is re-signed.

The Dolphins also likely will explore potential starting defensive tackle options. Earl Mitchell, a high-effort player, struggled against the run at times and is at risk of being a cap casualty. Phillips remains the epitome of inconsistency but had enough good moments to remain in the rotation next season.

▪ Linebacker: Miami plans to keep Kiko Alonso, who will receive a high tender as a restricted free agent. Jelani Jenkins is a free agent and won’t be retained as a starter, if at all. Miami also is expected to move on from Koa Misi, coming off neck surgery, though Misi fully intends to play next season.

Though defensive coordinator Vance Joseph said Neville Hewitt could develop into a starting linebacker, the Dolphins are expected to try to add two starters this offseason. Donald Butler and Spencer Paysinger are free agents, with Butler unlikely to return.

▪ Secondary: This unit should have stability, with starters Byron Maxwell, Xavien Howard, Reshad Jones and Isa Abdul-Quddus all under contract for 2017. Tony Lippett and Bobby McCain are on cheap rookie deals for next season and Michael Thomas is a restricted free agent. Bacarri Rambo, who struggled in recent weeks, is the only unrestricted free agent among the top eight players in the defensive backfield.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/sp...#storylink=cpy

Quote Originally Posted by Plague View Post
    By Barry Jackson

bjackson@miamiherald.com
    nice run down by Jackson.

I would be mildy shocked if Albert doesn't return. I think keeping him at LT and Tunsil at LG in 2017 would be key for our offense. But if he is a cap casualty (because he doesn't want to restructure), I would turn my focus to OG TJ Lang from GB or Zeitler from CIN. I prefer Lang, but either would work. If we decide to cut Albert, I would love for us to get two really good OGs' with what would have been his cap hit.

The two lines and LB should be our key focus this off-season. get those in FA and then go BPA in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    I think we HAVE to sign atleast one good LB in FA, being we need two. This is who I'm looking at

Jamie Collins - 26, easy top LB in the FA class can do eveything
    Malcolm Smith - 27, been very good for 2 years after being a backup on the seahawks
    Zach Brown - 27, has had good seasons before but health has been an issue
    Lawrence Timmons - 30, not as good as he once was but still good, only has played in a 3-4
    Melvin Ingram - 27, has only played 3-4 olb but is very athletic
    Dont'a Hightower - 26, very good vs the run
    Kevin Minter - 26, has some talant and is athletic
    Gerald Hodges - 26, had a good season on a bad D
    I highly doubt CLE lets Collins just walk in FA after giving up a 3rd for him. I think both him and Hightower get franchised, or at least resigned.

Malcolm Smith is intriguing, but he anchored a LB core in OAK where their defense was bad as well, and he had Mack and Irvin helping him out. He reminds me of Ellerbe . . . I'm very scared to sign him.

I'd be on board with Zach Brown for sure.

Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast