Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What should writers do about PED users and the Hall of Fame?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Case by Case basis

1 4.55%
  • The elites belong in, borderline guys out

6 27.27%
  • Banish them all from the Hall if there is evidence of strong enough suspicion

4 18.18%
  • I don't care about PED's, if the numbers say they belong, then they belong

9 40.91%
  • I have multiple answers possible up here and I'll explain below

2 9.09%
  • None of these answers explain my position and I'll explain below

0 0%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

What should the Writers do about PED Users and the Hall of Fame?

Which of these answers does it for you?

Personally. The elites like Bonds and Clemens need to be in regardless. The borderline guys like Sosa and McGwire don't.

The should be judged against their peers. PEDs are/were a part of the game. Shunning PED users doesn't accomplish anything. Bonds and Clemens had HOF careers, they both should have been first ballot inductees. I can't believe people are still debating these things.

I think it's an all or nothing type of deal, i think it's wrong to cherry pick "your favorite" guys and shun the rest.

I think the last 2 answers, while being the least satisfying morally, are really the only two logical options.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

if you have enough evidence ban them all period... I dont wanna hear that crap that PEDS dont help you hit... We dont know well enough what some of the **** these guys used and how it worked on their bodies... Strength might help bat speed and so on... I dont blame the players for using peds... Id do the same if i seen others making millions and being mediocre but they broke the rules... they used illegal substances to gain an unfair advantage period... They should be out of the hall.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Which of these answers does it for you?

Personally. The elites like Bonds and Clemens need to be in regardless. The borderline guys like Sosa and McGwire don't.
    Do you know how long they were juicing? What if bonds was doing it from year 1 and Sosa started years later? Do you know exactly what they took everytime they took it and to what degree? Exactly. The notion that because these 2 players were so great they would be great regardless is irrelevant they still used what they used and it helped them... For bonds as an example it added something on and that changes everything... If he wasnt on the juice he is still a damn good player but not good enough where teams walk him 900 times a year. Domino effect.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    Do you know how long they were juicing? What if bonds was doing it from year 1 and Sosa started years later? Do you know exactly what they took everytime they took it and to what degree? Exactly. The notion that because these 2 players were so great they would be great regardless is irrelevant they still used what they used and it helped them... For bonds as an example it added something on and that changes everything... If he wasnt on the juice he is still a damn good player but not good enough where teams walk him 900 times a year. Domino effect.
    We have a ton of unknowns. But there is no way PED's are making you a 100 career WAR player over 20 years. No amount of drugs are going to do that.

Ortiz will make it in.

Quote Originally Posted by DigglinDickers View Post
    Ortiz will make it in.
    I don't know about that actually

We have a ton of unknowns. But there is no way PED's are making you a 100 career WAR player over 20 years. No amount of drugs are going to do that.
    It could significantly help though.. Its not as simple as hitting a ball... If that was the end all be all you would be right.. Every little bit changes things drastically... Including how other teams pitch to a guy and how often he is walked because of fear of the home run and so on... Peds added an unfair advantage that changed everything drastically... Peds helped him do more and that made the opposition pitch him different.. in bonds case with a shot ton more fear.

Bud Selig was voted in by the veterans' committee. Punishing 2 of the greatest players of that era of baseball, while rewarding the guy who literally oversaw that entire era while doing nothing about it until it was convenient for him and "convenient for baseball" is about as hypocritical as it gets.

It could significantly help though.. Its not as simple as hitting a ball... If that was the end all be all you would be right.. Every little bit changes things drastically... Including how other teams pitch to a guy and how often he is walked because of fear of the home run and so on... Peds added an unfair advantage that changed everything drastically... Peds helped him do more and that made the opposition pitch him different.. in bonds case with a shot ton more fear.
    And if those players were also taking PED's......?

The PED argument is an incredibly slippery slope that loses weight every where.

And if those players were also taking PED's......?

The PED argument is an incredibly slippery slope that loses weight every where.
    thats why i would want them all banned... If there is even a tiny bit of evidence they are out of the HOF or never get in. Its black and white to me... There should be no grey area... If you cheat you cheat... Would bonds still be great? Yes. Clemens? Yes... But to me its irrelevant... Griffey stayed clean... They had a choice... They broke the rules... There should be consequences.

I am no saint... I have made a ton of mistakes and people deserve 2nd chances.... I just dont think allowing cheaters into the hall is right and that is where the line should be... In a perfect world not only would the cheaters be out of the HOF but baseball would come forward with how negligible they were because of ratings and money because baseball is just as much in the wrong for looking the other way.
    Last edited by More-Than-Most; 01-06-2017 at 04:07 AM.

thats why i would want them all banned... If there is even a tiny bit of evidence they are out of the HOF or never get in. Its black and white to me... There should be no grey area... If you cheat you cheat... Would bonds still be great? Yes. Clemens? Yes... But to me its irrelevant... Griffey stayed clean... They had a choice... They broke the rules... There should be consequences.

I am no saint... I have made a ton of mistakes and people deserve 2nd chances.... I just dont think allowing cheaters into the hall is right and that is where the line should be... In a perfect world not only would the cheaters be out of the HOF but baseball would come forward with how negligible they were because of ratings and money because baseball is just as much in the wrong for looking the other way.
    It can't be black and white because we have absolutely no earthly clue who did and didn't use PED's, how much, for how long, and what their affects were.

We have no clue. You can't just punish the few that you suspect or know about and ignore those you don't know about.

For all we know every single player during that era used. That's obviously unlikely. But we have no clue. And making strong statements against PED's by guys like Frank Thomas, or by looking like you didn't use PED's and having a nice smile (like Griffey) doesn't mean you didn't. We also don't know if guys did use just because they had a nice season (Luis Gonzalez...is there any evidence outside of an incredible season?)

We don't have enough information about this era to be labeling players. It's not black and white. It is incredibly grey.

Also, using PED's wasn't against the rules at the time

IMO its all or nothing...you either say it doesn't matter and give your vote to all you feel had worthy careers, or you go the other way and say nope, sorry, you cheated, so long and thanks for the fish

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast