Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Pretty much.

Cease needs to build up innings. And reduce his walks.

Neither should be under-emphasized.

If you want an in-house rotation guy not in camp this spring (Williams, Butler, Mills, etc..) it would likely be Trevor Clifton in 2018.

Play Cease year-by-year, or you're fooling yourself. As with ODLC, Paulino, Albertos, and any other guy not in full-season ball.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Maybe I am thinking too much about the thought of "in the rotation" meaning he will be there from the start of 2018. If you are saying at some point in 18' you could see him in the rotation, I might agree. But it would be at the end of the season and only if his inning were not that high in the minors. As for taking a rotation spot from day 1 of 18' I think that is highly unlikely. Cease, himself, said he is looking forward to getting 20 starts this year and 100 innings. I do not see 100 inning this year and then a rotation spot the next where he would be expected to go 180 inning or more. If he is the real deal and does not struggle, I feel 2019 will be the stat of his career as a starter every 5th day.

I also like some of the younger guys as well. But those are guys when Lester is about done being a TOR starter.
    I'm think that you are right about not being on the opening day roster next year. But if he's healthy, and he's lights out, I don't want to see him moved along too slowly. Barring an injury, he should be able to do 100 innings standing on his head! I'd like to see him end the season in AA......at the very least.

I'm majorly interested in seeing how fast they move the first top flight pitching prospect of their Cubby career. I'm thinking 40 or so innings at SB and a June promotion to Myrtle. Then maybe if Tennessee is in playoff contention I could see him promoted down the stretch.

I do think he should make it to Tennessee by early next season at least.

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    I'm majorly interested in seeing how fast they move the first top flight pitching prospect of their Cubby career. I'm thinking 40 or so innings at SB and a June promotion to Myrtle. Then maybe if Tennessee is in playoff contention I could see him promoted down the stretch.

I do think he should make it to Tennessee by early next season at least.
    I would agree with this. And from Tennessee it is not a long way to the majors. I just do not see him in the rotation in 2018. Probably not even in the majors, but if he is not all year.

As for the 100 innings I referenced in my post, that is what Cease said he was shooting for. I know it was not you who commented on it. But I wanted that pointed out as well. Cease said he was looking forward to 20 starts and 100 innings. Really 100 minor league inning is not a small accomplishment. Especially coming from 40 the year before. Sure healthy all year and not missing a start, I guess he could get to 150. I just do not think that will happen with him, nor do I think they want it to happen. I think they will monitor him closely. Just as an example, lets use Syndergaard and his first year in A ball. 103 innings. The next year in A+ and AA he threw 117 innings. Then the following year in AAA he threw 133. What is the hurry with Cease?
    I would think in 2018 his goal would be about 140 to 150 innings. Then in 2019 I could see him in the rotation.
    However, this is really putting the carriage before the horse with Cease. First, he has to stay healthy. Then he has to produce numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I would agree with this. And from Tennessee it is not a long way to the majors. I just do not see him in the rotation in 2018. Probably not even in the majors, but if he is not all year.

As for the 100 innings I referenced in my post, that is what Cease said he was shooting for. I know it was not you who commented on it. But I wanted that pointed out as well. Cease said he was looking forward to 20 starts and 100 innings. Really 100 minor league inning is not a small accomplishment. Especially coming from 40 the year before. Sure healthy all year and not missing a start, I guess he could get to 150. I just do not think that will happen with him, nor do I think they want it to happen. I think they will monitor him closely. Just as an example, lets use Syndergaard and his first year in A ball. 103 innings. The next year in A+ and AA he threw 117 innings. Then the following year in AAA he threw 133. What is the hurry with Cease?
    I would think in 2018 his goal would be about 140 to 150 innings. Then in 2019 I could see him in the rotation.
    However, this is really putting the carriage before the horse with Cease. First, he has to stay healthy. Then he has to produce numbers.
    Yeah it is a fine number for him. He could get up around 120ish if he's efficient enough. I'm sure that's what they've stressed to him. If he wants to pitch a lot he needs to be efficient and work deep into games. I can't see him actually joining the rotation next year either.

There's a lot of pitching to be excited about in our system now IMO. 2018 will have a lot of interesting rotation options. They loaded Iowa with young reclamation projects and we have the Wizard at work and a proven system of getting castoffs on track. We have a handful of power arms that could move fast if they dominate and a plethora of finesse pitchers of which you think at least one of them will become a viable MLB starter.

Right now it seems weak but I think by the end of the year people will feel a lot better about the situation. They certainly addressed the depth concerns we had a couple months ago. I expect they will have this worked out in due time as well. They're in great position to slow-play the process and I'm sure we will like our 2018 rotation a lot

I guess I don't see Cease dropping his walk rate to under 3.5 jumping through three levels.

He isn't Cy Young meets Pedro. He's a hard-thrower with a history of missing some time.

Quote Originally Posted by wowolfol View Post
    i'm majorly interested in seeing how fast they move the first top flight pitching prospect of their cubby career. I'm thinking 40 or so innings at sb and a june promotion to myrtle. Then maybe if tennessee is in playoff contention i could see him promoted down the stretch.

I do think he should make it to tennessee by early next season at least.
    ceaseeeeeeee
    MUST BE REAL BAD TO BRING ME BACK

Quote Originally Posted by tim815 View Post
    I guess I don't see Cease dropping his walk rate to under 3.5 jumping through three levels.

He isn't Cy Young meets Pedro. He's a hard-thrower with a history of missing some time.
    Thinking more like Doc Gooden meets Roy Oswalt...

Quote Originally Posted by Cub_StuckinSTL View Post
    ceaseeeeeeee
    How's it been in your neck of the woods post-title?

Eloy is getting tests done on his shoulder. They said it's been sore since he made a huge throw Tuesday.
    The Cubs "seem optimistic" that Jimenez's shoulder injury won't require more than a rest period and re-strengthening program to resolve, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.

Jimenez, the Cubs' top prospect, aggravated an already sore shoulder on an errant throw from left field Tuesday. While it seems the Cubs are not overly concerned, they did send Jimenez for both an MRI and a CT scan to get a proper read on the issue. It sounds like the team will await more clarity on the matter before commenting publicly on Jimenez's status.
    Come Be The Apple Of The PWW Owner's Eye!

*PSD Wrestling Wars Link* http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...restling-Wars!

Just a bone bruise per Cubs

Just a bone bruise per Cubs
    Bone bruise??? How did he bruise his bone making a throw. Not sure about this one.

Butler pitched 5.2 last night 0 ER with 6 ks. 5 hits walked 2 or 3 i believe.

I like Butler, if Anderson tanks i hope he gets first chance in the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dfan25 View Post
    Butler pitched 5.2 last night 0 ER with 6 ks. 5 hits walked 2 or 3 i believe.
    He's should do really well away from Coors imo.

Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast