Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

2017 Cubs Minor League Thread 1.0

Cubs 2017 Minor League Thread 1.0

Minor League Affiliates:

Iowa Cubs (Triple-A)

Tennessee Smokies (Double-A)

Myrtle Beach Pelicans (Single A-Advanced)

South Bend Cubs (Single A-Low)

Eugene Emeralds (Short Season)

AZL Cubs (Rookie)

DSL Cubs 1 (Rookie)

DSL Cubs 2 (Rookie)
    Last edited by CubsRule08; 01-10-2017 at 01:06 PM.

#FlyTheW
    2016 World Series Champions!!!

First order of business:

2017 Cubs Baseball America Top 10 prospects were just released, and it follows as such:

1. Eloy Jimenez, OF
    2. Ian Happ, IF
    3. Albert Almora Jr, OF
    4. Dylan Cease, RHP
    5. Oscar De La Cruz, RHP
    6. Mark Zagunis, OF
    7. Jeimer Candelario, 3B
    8. Trevor Clifton, RHP
    9. D.J. Wilson, OF
    10. Jose Albertos, RHP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#FlyTheW

Cubs Scout Stan Zielinski has passed away after spending the last 15 years with the cubs. He did allot of the scouting for Kyle Schwarber.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...105-story.html
    Last edited by northsider; 01-05-2017 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    First order of business:

2017 Cubs Baseball America Top 10 prospects were just released, and it follows as such:

1. Eloy Jimenez, OF
    2. Ian Happ, IF
    3. Albert Almora Jr, OF
    4. Dylan Cease, RHP
    5. Oscar De La Cruz, RHP
    6. Mark Zagunis, OF
    7. Jeimer Candelario, 3B
    8. Trevor Clifton, RHP
    9. D.J. Wilson, OF
    10. Jose Albertos, RHP

I'm pretty excited about that top 5!!!

https://www.google.com/amp/www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2017-chicago-cubs-top-10-prospects/%3Famphtml%3D1
    Last edited by The20thK; 01-06-2017 at 03:20 AM.

"Wait till Next Year"
    Just Took on a Whole New Meaning!!!

2017 Cubs Minor League Thread 1.0

I saw the prospect list today. We're ranked 14th on it (previous we were 17th, so minus Torres and Contreras our farm is actually ranked out better?). That is incredible considering all the guys who have graduated to the big league in 2015 and 2016. It says a lot about this FO and evaluating talent. We're in good hands for the next several years.

Quote Originally Posted by northsider View Post
    Cubs Scout Stan Zielinski has passed away after spending the last 15 years with the cubs. He did allot of the scouting for Kyle Schwarber.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...105-story.html
    That's sad. 64 is too young to die. I remember reading just last month that he was inducted into the "Midwest Scouts Association Hall of Fame" now that I've read it on that article. What a long-lasting legacy to leave behind, though. Being instrumental in the Cubs first World Series since 1908. I hope his family are handed a Championship ring (Red Sox handed out something like 500 in 2004).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JHBulls; 01-06-2017 at 04:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    I'm pretty excited about that top 5!!!

https://www.google.com/amp/www.baseb...%3Famphtml%3D1
    I had never heard of De La Cruz. He has some very interesting stats in the lower minors. Just curious, are they taking it slow with him? Because his innings per start average quite short.

Quote Originally Posted by LBiittner View Post
    I had never heard of De La Cruz. He has some very interesting stats in the lower minors. Just curious, are they taking it slow with him? Because his innings per start average quite short.
    He had elbow issues early last season. I don't know if being a converted shortstop has anything to do with the pace of his development but it might also.
    All animals are created equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

Quote Originally Posted by LBiittner View Post
    Baseball America had him number 8 last year (that's was the first I heard of him) Was looking forward to hearing about him but the early season injury pretty much cost the season. But I believe they were projecting him to be a torp or #2... but that is a lot of projecting. Kind of like Cease the tools are there but the polishing hasn't really even started.

Cubs have signed C Carlos Corporan to a minor league deal.

Cubs also officially announced the re-signing of IF Munenori Kawasaki to a minor league deal

#FlyTheW

A few things that stood out to me on the list and the Q & A with John Manuel was how little he valued Pierce Johnson. Someone asked what was needed for Johnson to get back on the fast track to the majors and Manuel pointed out he was already 26 so the fast track already past him. He also mentioned he would not blame injuries for his failure to reach the majors. He said Pierce just wasn’t good enough. He’s a fungible reliever at this point.
    He did like Hatch however. He said he was by far the best pitcher of the group the Cubs took. Bailey Clark was also mentioned. He said he had the best arm of the pitcher they took.
    He was also pretty high on Almora when asked about him. He mentioned that he hit for average everywhere he played and he plays a great centerfield and is a very good baserunner. He expects him to be a very useful player on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    A few things that stood out to me on the list and the Q & A with John Manuel was how little he valued Pierce Johnson. Someone asked what was needed for Johnson to get back on the fast track to the majors and Manuel pointed out he was already 26 so the fast track already past him. He also mentioned he would not blame injuries for his failure to reach the majors. He said Pierce just wasn’t good enough. He’s a fungible reliever at this point.

He did like Hatch however. He said he was by far the best pitcher of the group the Cubs took. Bailey Clark was also mentioned. He said he had the best arm of the pitcher they took.

He was also pretty high on Almora when asked about him. He mentioned that he hit for average everywhere he played and he plays a great centerfield and is a very good baserunner. He expects him to be a very useful player on the team.
    *waiting for Prior22 to show up*

#FlyTheW

People ask really stupid questions in those chats. In what world could Johnson ever be on a fast track...

I'm still not excluding him from being a positive contributor but damn what a stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    People ask really stupid questions in those chats. In what world could Johnson ever be on a fast track...

I'm still not excluding him from being a positive contributor but damn what a stupid question.
    WOlf, wasn't it you who was high on Johnson in a different thread. Or at least you felt he should be given a change to work in the rotation and you would rather see what he had.
    I realize the question was stupid but I am more focusing on the entire answer. And the answer, aside from the fast track, was Johnson is just not very good. Right now the best you could hope for is a relief pitcher. To me, that is what stood out most about the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    *waiting for Prior22 to show up*

Based on the way the question was asked in the chat, I would not be surprised if Prior22 didn't ask it.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    WOlf, wasn't it you who was high on Johnson in a different thread. Or at least you felt he should be given a change to work in the rotation and you would rather see what he had.
    I realize the question was stupid but I am more focusing on the entire answer. And the answer, aside from the fast track, was Johnson is just not very good. Right now the best you could hope for is a relief pitcher. To me, that is what stood out most about the answer.
    I think he's a perfectly viable option to be a swing guy this year and see what he can bring to the table as a MLB pitcher. He has control issues but he did strike out 10/9 at Iowa and I just feel like we're in position to try some internal options, and that I hope they give him a shot. Not anything special but could be decent.

FWIW Arguello thinks similarly.

Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast