Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Caldwell staying?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Terrible move

2 25.00%
  • Great news

0 0%
  • At least we can stop talking about it

2 25.00%
  • Meh

5 62.50%
  • Skeletor "MYAH!!!!!"

0 0%
  • SOL move

2 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Coach Caldwell staying in Detroit

The Detroit Lions confirmed Wednesday that head coach Jim Caldwell will return for the 2017 season.

Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press passed along the news. Michael Rothstein of ESPN.com noted a team official told the outlet's Adam Schefter the Lions wanted "continuity on their staff" after reaching the postseason for the second time in the last three years.

Caldwell's time with the Lions started promisingly. He led them to an 11-5 record and into the postseason in 2014 for just the second time since the 1999 season. While they lost a 24-20 heartbreaker to the Dallas Cowboys in the playoffs, things appeared to be trending in the right direction for Detroit after a dry spell on the field.

However, the team experienced a drop-off the next year and finished 7-9 in 2015. The defensive performance was a major culprit in the decline, as it was second in the league in yards allowed and third in points allowed in 2014 but 18th and 23rd in 2015, respectively.

Caldwell's name started to appear on the hot seat after the Lions' 1-3 start this season. But they bounced back strong, winning four of their next five games to get back in the playoff conversation. And although they came up short in their pursuit of the NFC North title, they earned an NFC wild card.
    ^^ currently playing^^

click here to join the Lions Forum
    SE7EN time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12, #14, #24 & #27
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    LFFS is the master at going from goofball to boss

Great move.

Not too long ago, this team imploded and gave up on their head coach, Gym Shartz.

But even after that terrible start last year, this team stuck together & finished strong, led by their steady head coach. A year later, with a ton of injuries, the Detroit Lions are actually in the playoffs. Not to mention they made great late-game adjustments to come from behind in most of those wins.

Caldwell is not flashy, but this team needs flash on the field, not the sidelines. Caldwell is the calming, steady force this team needs to weather the storm.

My favourite Quinn move so far.

Now, ditch the pass-first offense and we might have a chance to win something.

Marketability Rating = 0

Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    Great move.

Not too long ago, this team imploded and gave up on their head coach, Gym Shartz.

But even after that terrible start last year, this team stuck together & finished strong, led by their steady head coach. A year later, with a ton of injuries, the Detroit Lions are actually in the playoffs. Not to mention they made great late-game adjustments to come from behind in most of those wins.

Caldwell is not flashy, but this team needs flash on the field, not the sidelines. Caldwell is the calming, steady force this team needs to weather the storm.

Ditch it for what?
    2014 Prediction Game Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ****ed in DET View Post
    Ditch it for what?
    Stafford is good enough to QB a team without the need for making it 90% pass, pass, pass.

Use a balanced attack. Fullbacks, two TE sets. Run the ball. The reason we can't run is because of the scheme, not the personnel. Granted the personnel haven't been the most amazing, but everything the Lions have done in the past 10 or so years has revolved around making the Lions into an aerial attack team. If you have a guy with an arm like Stafford, the passing game will take care of itself.

If Jim Bob goes elsewhere (I havent heard of any interviews setup), I think the best thing for this team is to bring in an OC with a brand new run-first philosophy. The way football is supposed to be played. All these short passes are cute and fancy, but it kills the run game, making the offense one-dimensional.

I understand the idea of building on your strengths, but man, you gotta address those weaknesses. You don't keep adding horsepower to an engine if the tires are ****.

Marketability Rating = 0

I just don't think they've had the personnel to stray from what they constantly do. His arm is the only threat on this team.

But yeah it would be nice to build around a better running attack.

I think it's a combination of personnel and scheme. When AA was on the field we seemed to be more balanced, then things took a drop-off with Riddick as the featured back so they changed up the scheme. Then Stafford got injured and they changed the scheme again. We finally got to see what ZZ can do, a good piece along with Riddick and AA, but we need another RB at some point other than Washington, nothing fancy, just competent. Terrence West comes to mind, maybe Isaiah Crowell. o-line remains top priority once again for Detroit in the off-season. Get rid of Reiff, Warford, Robinson and replace them with a better option in FA and the draft. The o-line is good, but it can be great with a few more moves.

As for the topic at hand, this was really a no-brainer. If it weren't for a few of those BS calls last year, this team may have made the playoffs all 3 years under Jim Caldwell.

http://m.detroitlions.com/news/lions...e-ac0e73381e53
    Amid Detroit's preparations this week for Saturday's Wild Card playoff game in Seattle, questions popped up about head coach Jim Caldwell's future with the organization.

The Lions put any speculation to rest Wednesday by confirming that Caldwell will return for a fourth season in Detroit in 2017, no matter what happens Saturday against the Seahawks.

Caldwell on outside noise
    Share:

Caldwell is 27-21 in three seasons since taking over in 2014, and has guided the Lions to the playoffs in two (2014 and 2016) of those three seasons. Caldwell's .563 winning percentage is the best among full-time Lions coaches in the Super Bowl era. Only Gary Moeller, who went 4-3 as interim Lions head coach in 2000, has a better winning percentage than Caldwell.

"You know what, it's not about me," Caldwell told reporters Tuesday when asked about his job status. "I'm more interested in this team and that focus.

"Our business is always skepticism and those kinds of things. It's a challenging business, that's what makes it fun, you know? It's not for the faint of heart. You better be willing to take on challenges and understand that you're expected to win."

About an hour later, quarterback Matthew Stafford threw his support behind his head coach.

"I think everybody in our locker room enjoys playing for him," Stafford said. "He's an honest guy, an upfront guy. "I think he's a heck of a coach. I enjoy playing for him."

The Lions will kick things off against the Seahawks in Seattle at 8:15 p.m. ET Saturday night.
    ^^ currently playing^^

click here to join the Lions Forum
    SE7EN time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12, #14, #24 & #27
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    LFFS is the master at going from goofball to boss

Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    Great move.

All I know is when we win 4 games next year you still better be rooting JC on cause he is not a great coach. If it actually wasn't for Stafford and his heroics like 8 times his year we would have 1 win. Stafford and not JC or JBC was out there calling the 2 min offense. Dallas we were tied at half. GB we were up and we lost both because your awesome coach didn't adjust anything. In fact in one game they decided to run Zenner less and Washington more. Great adjustment there.
    2015 Detroit Lions Prediction Game WINNER

Expected move. We would have kept him if we only won 5 games. I would expect that if we don't win a playoff game this year(we won't) and we don't make the playoffs for the next 2 years then he'll be canned.

Hot take: Zenner 100+ rushing yards

Quote Originally Posted by ****ed in DET View Post
    Hot take: Zenner 100+ rushing yards
    Well...he is the best white running back in the NFL.

Stafford's heroics? Didn't anybody read that article I posted awhile back?

Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    Stafford's heroics? Didn't anybody read that article I posted awhile back?
    I just dont get how people give the player all the credit for comebacks, but not the guy who runs the team. Is there some audio or video Im missing of Stafford running into the huddle and saying "**** this, Im gonna do it myself!".

If thats the case, then we should cut Stafford's *** in a second because then his 4-60 record or whatever it is IS all on him.

Of course its not. The reality is that the coaches made some good calls & the QB made some good throws. But for some reason, some Lions fans can say nothing negative about Statford & only bad things about whichever scapegoat of the month is at the plate.

Marketability Rating = 0

Quote Originally Posted by lizardking13 View Post
    Well...he is the best white running back in the NFL.
    Danny Woodhead would like a word with you.

EDIT: Nevermind. I just heard about what Michael Robinson said. This black and white **** has to stop.
    Last edited by RB#20; 01-04-2017 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug3 View Post
    All I know is when we win 4 games next year you still better be rooting JC on cause he is not a great coach. If it actually wasn't for Stafford and his heroics like 8 times his year we would have 1 win. Stafford and not JC or JBC was out there calling the 2 min offense. Dallas we were tied at half. GB we were up and we lost both because your awesome coach didn't adjust anything. In fact in one game they decided to run Zenner less and Washington more. Great adjustment there.
    The only thing that I can think of, knowing how JC is, that maybe ZZ was showing signs of a possible concussion and he didn't want to put him at risk of further injury. Caldwell is probably the best in the NFL when it comes to player safety. He will not jeopardize a player's future in order to win a game.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast