Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I was very happy to see Bowles announce an open QB competition
    At least he learns from his mistakes.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    I question that news for one reason and one reason only: Do you really pay a guy 6 million a year to sit the bench? The only way I can see Mccown not starting week 1 is if the Jets draft someone at #6 (Trubisky or Watson) and they play lights out like Russell Wilson did in Seattle where the Jets have no choice but to start him.
    Teams sign backup QB's for more than that. What teams don't do is sign a beat up 38 year old QB to a one year deal, and think he's going to lead their team as the starter.

It never hurts to have a vet QB on the bench in case of injury.
    Last edited by Mr. Magoo; 03-29-2017 at 12:30 PM.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    Teams sign backup QB's for more than that. What teams don't do is sign a beat up 38 year old QB to a one year deal, and think he's going to lead their team as the starter.

It never hurts to have a vet QB on the bench in case of injury.
    I could see your point if the Jets actually had something to begin with.
    PSD's Muhammad Wilkerson!!!

That's the point though. That's why you dont sign Cutler or Kaep so the excuse isn't there to run them out as starting QBs given their more extensive resumes and previous success.

In this case McCown is a guy who can help in the development process (or at least not impede) of Petty and Hack and we can see those younger guys play. They need to know what they have next year in those guys. Lets hope one of them develops into an upper echelon QB, although I'm not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    That's the point though. That's why you dont sign Cutler or Kaep so the excuse isn't there to run them out as starting QBs given their more extensive resumes and previous success.

In this case McCown is a guy who can help in the development process (or at least not impede) of Petty and Hack and we can see those younger guys play. They need to know what they have next year in those guys. Lets hope one of them develops into an upper echelon QB, although I'm not holding my breath.
    I understand what you are saying, but let's be honest with as bad as Fitzpatrick played last year, and not getting pulled should show every Jet fan what the team really thinks of Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg, and even to an extent Geno Smith. He played Petty against the Rams and Petty did squat. What does Bowles do; he goes back to Fitzpatrick, even though the Jets at that point were 3-7.

Petty gets hurt against the Dolphins and they fall to 3-11. What better time to play Christian Hackenberg and see what he can do in two games that meant absolutely nothing. What does he do? He goes back to Ryan Fitzpatrick, again in two meaningless games with a QB who will not be on the NY Jets in 2017.

To me, this season should be all about Bryce Petty and/or Christian Hackenberg. Knowing Bowles history, it won't be. I will be more shocked if one of those 2 are starting over Josh McCown on opening day than if they aren't.
    PSD's Muhammad Wilkerson!!!

I just read the power rankings and the Jets are dead last. Time to Punt and collect multiple draft picks.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    I understand what you are saying, but let's be honest with as bad as Fitzpatrick played last year, and not getting pulled should show every Jet fan what the team really thinks of Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg, and even to an extent Geno Smith. He played Petty against the Rams and Petty did squat. What does Bowles do; he goes back to Fitzpatrick, even though the Jets at that point were 3-7.

Petty gets hurt against the Dolphins and they fall to 3-11. What better time to play Christian Hackenberg and see what he can do in two games that meant absolutely nothing. What does he do? He goes back to Ryan Fitzpatrick, again in two meaningless games with a QB who will not be on the NY Jets in 2017.

To me, this season should be all about Bryce Petty and/or Christian Hackenberg. Knowing Bowles history, it won't be. I will be more shocked if one of those 2 are starting over Josh McCown on opening day than if they aren't.
    I do think he will let them compete. I also think that both young QBs could win the job but most likely, McCown will be the starter, with the real battle being for 2nd string. If Hack can't at least, grab the second string job, it isn't a great sign for him.
    If the Jets get off to a crappy start, I think Bowles makes the change. He won't be fired after this year. He knows the record isn't the issue. I am really hoping to see the development of the younger players. I think he could do a good job with that.

As far as Hack starting last year, I think it was smart to sit him. They said from the start that, that was the plan. I am glad for once they stuck to a plan.

You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

The Jets need go rebuild by losing a lot now and drafting high in the draft. It's a way to win long term and rebuild. I hate the McCown signing because it makes a bad team a bit better. Petty should be the teams quarterback.

Source: Adrian Peterson to visit the New England Patriots http://prosportsdaily.com/articles/a...ts-461033.html

I think you are looking at this all wrong. $6 million dollars it is exactly what you would pay a backup. In some cases more.

People forget the Petty got hurt. That's the reason he didn't start in some games. And they were never going to play hack unless he was the only QB on the roster available. And I do not mind that.

They felt he wasn't ready and for once did not let the fans and the media dictate and then kill a potential prospect for no good reason. At some point you have to develop a QB the correctly regardless of what the fans think.

Supposedly I have heard from 2 "insiders" they are happy with Hack' s progress in year one.
    Last edited by aNYer; 04-09-2017 at 08:58 AM.

I think the schedule sets up perfectly to make us Pretenders in the first half of the season and then crumble to a terrible draft pick. And lucky us we get to hear the media speculate about why we collapsed off an okay start

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627