Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 NFL Draft

I am starting to get more and more concerned that they are really considering trubisky in a trade up. It would be a poor decision that makes no sense to me. Really hoping this is all a ruse.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Smuggler View Post
    I am starting to get more and more concerned that they are really considering trubisky in a trade up. It would be a poor decision that makes no sense to me. Really hoping this is all a ruse.
    Well if they do that, better just hope he's the real deal. If he is, it won't matter that they took him. If he's bad - average, it will be a waste. They clearly don't believe in Tyrod long term and hitting on a QB is worth an entire draft.

I'm still hoping DB/WR or OJ Howard in the first two rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    It is a 5th this year, that the Bills cannot trade away to gain extra picks. Compensation picks are not tradable.

Whaley had other options, but stupidly put a 5th round tender on him. Even though running backs are a dime a dozen, the Bills should have put a 2nd or 3rd round tender on him. The cost of it would have been affordable and the cost to pry him away would have benefited the team a lot more. Most likely no team would have wanted him at that cost, giving us a backup for about 2 million. Now, we either get a 5th round pick, or have to pay a back up 6.4 million. This is a great year for running backs in this draft, but the team should have tried to keep Gillislee for cheap, then use a pick for any other of our glaring needs. Now, we will most likely have to use a pick on a RB, because neither Tolbert or Williams can be counted on if McCoy gets injured. There are a lot of RB's in this draft that are better than them two, who can play right away. It just would have been more effective to keep MG and draft a position need.

This is why Whaley and Overdorf need to be fired. The Bills and Whaley sit back and make stupid decisions and watch the Pats get stronger. Then when NO is trying to trade WR Cooks and call the Bills trying to get them to sweeten the offer, informing the Bills what the Pats are offering, the Bills decline and New England is allowed to get stronger by landing a stud receiver that will cost the team only 1.8 million against the cap.

We now have 10 million in cap space and we need it to sign our rookie draft class. Plus, after the draft, the Bills still need to sign 20 more players, to get to the 90 player NFL limit. I put it at about 90% probability that we trade the 10th pick and move down to about 17-23, with the extra picks we get in return possibly coming in 2018, not this year. I still cant see us drafting a QB, because neither of these QB's or Cardale Jones is ready to be a back up, which is why Yates is here. We will not carry 4 QB's or draft someone, just to lose him on the practice squad. If there is not any growth in Tyrod, 2018 draft is when we will take a flyer on a QB. We have way to many holes on this team right now, to draft a QB, who may not even be the guy to lead the team in 3 years.

This is per Sal Capaccio. "The Bills could have tendered Gillislee at a 2nd round level and basically guaranteed retaining him. That would have cost them $2.746 million to keep the running back this year. No other team would have been willing to part with a 2nd round pick for him, and the Bills would gladly have taken that if one did come calling.

So why didn’t they? Each team places a value on every player and the Bills obviously didn’t value Gillislee at that high of a price. They also had to know the risk that they could lose him by only giving him an “original round” qualifying tender, which was a 5th rounder for him (by the way, there was no other option outside of 1st round ($3.91M), 2nd round, or originally drafted round). So by placing that tender on him, they had to at least be accepting of the fact they could lose him for that compensation"
    Yes they should've put a 2nd round tender on him...I completely agree. I don't think it's a crazy loss, but now they have another hole to fill. It seems as if they wanted the draft pick. That's the only thing I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    Yes they should've put a 2nd round tender on him...I completely agree. I don't think it's a crazy loss, but now they have another hole to fill. It seems as if they wanted the draft pick. That's the only thing I can think of.
    Tbh it makes smart sense. They can get an equal impact talent at RB with that pick or maybe the 4th for much cheaper. If it wasn't New England then I'd think it was a dumb signing.

I really can't see them going QB with Whaley's job on the line.

Even though we can find a RB easily in this draft, which is loaded with RB's, Whaley and Overdorf should not have created the need for a RB. It is stupid business decisions like this that amazes me that they both are still employed.

This team has so many holes to fill and they still need to sign 26 players by June to get to the NFL requirements. They have 10 million in cap space and have the least amount of draft picks in the draft. Putting a 2nd year tender on Gillislee, paying him 2 million to back up McCoy, should have been the route this organization takes.

I'd bet the farm, that the only way we draft a QB in this draft, is only if Chad Kelly is available in the 5th. And even if he is available, there is still no guarantee. If Buffalo drafted any QB, the team would have to make him a part of the roster and inactive on game days. The practice squad wouldnt be an option, because of the worry of losing him. The Bills need Yates to be a backup and Cardale isn't going anywhere, therefore it is hard for any team, especially Buffalo, to carry 4 QB's. The QB's that are usually on the practice squad, are QB's teams are not worried about losing. If Buffalo took a flyer on a QB, that QB would be a person they think will be in our long term plans.

As for Chad Kelly, NFL live was talking about him and they said the overall consensus, from what they have heard from other teams is, legacy's usually do not pan out, He has a Johnny Manzel type attitude and some teams are worried about the injuries. Also, with the Commish not inviting him to the combine, teams are worried, because it shows the league will not tolerate his actions and therefore Chad Kelly is considered a liability and an unnecessary negative image type news story. Him being in Buffalo, being inactive and standing on the sidelines with Jim Kelly, maybe his only option. If the Bills drafted him and put him on the practice squad, I will bet a million bucks, that NE, with pretty much no picks in this draft, will steal him away.

I respectfully disagree. With 10 mil left, gilisee at 2 mil is a mistake when they can get the same impact for cheaper.

You wouldn't trade a backup for a different backup with the same talent level at a fraction of the cost? What if you only had 10 mil to hire 26 players? Would you do it then?
    I don't understand the outrage.

Only the top 51 players count towards the salary. 98% of the players that they sign from here on will have no implications on the salary cap. They already have well over 51 players on the roster. I'm not sure of the cap numbers for the draft picks, but only the first few rounds will impact the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    I respectfully disagree. With 10 mil left, gilisee at 2 mil is a mistake when they can get the same impact for cheaper.

You wouldn't trade a backup for a different backup with the same talent level at a fraction of the cost? What if you only had 10 mil to hire 26 players? Would you do it then?
    I get what you're saying, but Gillislee was good. I guess if they are able to find someone equal or better in the draft, they actually make out since it'll be a cheaper, younger player.

Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    Even though we can find a RB easily in this draft, which is loaded with RB's, Whaley and Overdorf should not have created the need for a RB. It is stupid business decisions like this that amazes me that they both are still employed.

This team has so many holes to fill and they still need to sign 26 players by June to get to the NFL requirements. They have 10 million in cap space and have the least amount of draft picks in the draft. Putting a 2nd year tender on Gillislee, paying him 2 million to back up McCoy, should have been the route this organization takes.

I'd bet the farm, that the only way we draft a QB in this draft, is only if Chad Kelly is available in the 5th. And even if he is available, there is still no guarantee. If Buffalo drafted any QB, the team would have to make him a part of the roster and inactive on game days. The practice squad wouldnt be an option, because of the worry of losing him. The Bills need Yates to be a backup and Cardale isn't going anywhere, therefore it is hard for any team, especially Buffalo, to carry 4 QB's. The QB's that are usually on the practice squad, are QB's teams are not worried about losing. If Buffalo took a flyer on a QB, that QB would be a person they think will be in our long term plans.

As for Chad Kelly, NFL live was talking about him and they said the overall consensus, from what they have heard from other teams is, legacy's usually do not pan out, He has a Johnny Manzel type attitude and some teams are worried about the injuries. Also, with the Commish not inviting him to the combine, teams are worried, because it shows the league will not tolerate his actions and therefore Chad Kelly is considered a liability and an unnecessary negative image type news story. Him being in Buffalo, being inactive and standing on the sidelines with Jim Kelly, maybe his only option. If the Bills drafted him and put him on the practice squad, I will bet a million bucks, that NE, with pretty much no picks in this draft, will steal him away.
    I doubt Chad Kelly gets drafted.

The Jets kept four QBs last year. The Bills kept two kickers for much of Rex's time here.

If the Bills were to draft a QB, they'd be doing exactly what the Eagles did last year. They re-signed Bradford, brought in Chase Daniels and I believe had Barkley still on the roster. They then went out drafted Wentz, traded Bradford and released Barkley.

Yates and Cardale are not guaranteed to make the roster. This is a new coaching staff and a new offense. We don't know what they have in mind. Cardale is not McDermott's guy.

I don't think anyone knows what to expect from the Bills. Getting the owner involved in a smokescreen seems extreme.

I really can't see them going QB with Whaley's job on the line.
    It's actually the one way Whaley can save his job and be in good standing long term. If they drafted a QB early that ends up looking like they finally found the one, there's no way Whaley gets fired. GMs and coaching regimes are usually linked to the QB they bring in. It could actually be one last desperate move to keep his job. The options are a lot better than in 2013, but we'll see...

Where there's smoke, there's usually fire. And there is A LOT of smoke in this matter of trading up for a QB.

I wouldn't be shocked if they traded Tyrod on draft day. Maybe even sending him to Jacksonville to move up to #4.

I obviously think that would be a terrible decision. This is exactly what happened in the EJ Manuel draft where they decided, no matter what, that they had to take a QB.

The Bills should have paid the 2 million because you know what you get in Gillislee. You know for sure he can back up McCoy and play football in the NFL and score 11 TDs and he knows the playbook. You pay the 2 million for that and not draft a running back and pray he can learn the system, play in the NFL and do what Gillislee can do.

Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    I doubt Chad Kelly gets drafted.

The Jets kept four QBs last year. The Bills kept two kickers for much of Rex's time here.

If the Bills were to draft a QB, they'd be doing exactly what the Eagles did last year. They re-signed Bradford, brought in Chase Daniels and I believe had Barkley still on the roster. They then went out drafted Wentz, traded Bradford and released Barkley.

Yates and Cardale are not guaranteed to make the roster. This is a new coaching staff and a new offense. We don't know what they have in mind. Cardale is not McDermott's guy.

I don't think anyone knows what to expect from the Bills. Getting the owner involved in a smokescreen seems extreme.
    The Jets didn't have all 4 QB's on the active roster together for game day suited up and ready to play.

With the Bills QB's Yates is here because of McDermott. He will be the back up guaranteed. Cardale may not be McDermotts guy, but he was just drafted last year, by the only person in Buffalo who the Pegula's refuse to fire, so Cardale will stay as well. We haven't seen the Bills give up on a crappy pick after one year ever, so Cardale wont be the first person they give up on after one year. Cardale would be signed in a heart beat if placed on the practice squad, so most likely, we will probably not see a QB, unless it is Chad. I'll bet anything you want, that he will be drafted in the NFL and he may even surprise us all with going earlier than expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Smuggler View Post
    Where there's smoke, there's usually fire. And there is A LOT of smoke in this matter of trading up for a QB.

I wouldn't be shocked if they traded Tyrod on draft day. Maybe even sending him to Jacksonville to move up to #4.

I obviously think that would be a terrible decision. This is exactly what happened in the EJ Manuel draft where they decided, no matter what, that they had to take a QB.
    After Tyrod taking the pay cut, meeting with McDermott and resigning here, he will be a Bill for at least this season.

What we are seeing and hearing from a lot of teams is smoke and mirrors. Everyone wants everyone else to think they are going a certain direction in the draft, so that they then think that perhaps, they should pick the QB before the Bills do, to ensure the guy they wanted all along falls to their spot.

I think it was Donahoe about 20 or so years ago before the draft said loudly and boldly, every radio show or appearance he made, that if RB Leeland McElroy is available, The Bills will pick him as fast as they can. All the chatter was about this McElroy, fans were sold, probably other teams believed it as well. McElroy dropped to the 2nd round. Bills didn't pick him. Our GM wanted other teams to think we wanted him so bad, that maybe he is better than they thought and that they would then waste a pick on him. We are saying the same thing now. They are talking QB, trying to make teams drafting 1-9, to take the bait. McDermott is probably going to be here for awhile. Neither of these QB's will outshine next years class, so he will wait til next year.
    Last edited by sabres11; 04-21-2017 at 09:46 AM.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast