Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 80
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,501
    If the Giants do indeed have the opportunity to draft a QB they should make sure they drat one who is mobile because that seems to be the way the NFL is going these days, ( Brady of course being the exception )

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    43,591
    I don't watch college ball much, but I kept hearing people say Darnold is over-hyped. I watched some highlights of his and he seems pretty poised, decisive and has a solid arm. Great pocket-presence. Doubt we'd land him, but looks pretty good.

    Still, I have to believe they took Webb for a reason and they're gonna bring him along.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    If the Giants do indeed have the opportunity to draft a QB they should make sure they drat one who is mobile because that seems to be the way the NFL is going these days, ( Brady of course being the exception )
    They also apparently have no interest in building a complete o-line so that would help.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    32,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrei00 View Post
    I personally think that would be a pretty big mistake. Hopefully we won't pick that early in the Draft anytime soon, therefore we won't have the chance to draft one of the top QBs of the class without paying a fortune to trade up.
    You think it would be a mistake to bulk up the line and the rest of the team before drafting another QB?

    Just curious why you feel that way.

    Don't worry. He's got this.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,501
    If you had your choice among, Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Jackson or Finley , who would it be? Would you pass and draft Barkley from Penn State instead? The best OL seems to be the guard from Notre Dame , would you take him ?

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    32,717
    I don't care who is available. I'd trade the pick and try to acquire as many 1st 2nd and 3rd round picks as possible to rebuild this team.

    Don't worry. He's got this.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    4,820
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    You think it would be a mistake to bulk up the line and the rest of the team before drafting another QB?

    Just curious why you feel that way.
    Because

    A. Hopefully we won't be in a position to have a solid chance of choosing among the top quarterbacks that class has to offer anytime soon, and trading up would cost a fortune, as we've seen in recent years.

    B. He won't have to start day 1, meaning we'll still have, at the very least, two FA and Draft classes to make sure he has the supporting cast he needs.

    C. I hardly think any of the top tackles in the upcoming class are top 3-5 worthy. I like the kid out of Texas the most, but he's coming off a knee injury. IMO, it's either one of the quarterbacks, Barkley or a top defensive prospect (and the only one I can see right now is Chubb). As good as Barkley is and I also happen to think Chubb has great potential to be an All-Pro on the edge, I'd very much make the most out of this opportunity and secure that QB spot.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    32,717
    I dunno. Assuming we have a new GM Iím not sure what he will think of Webb, but everything I read about the guy suggests heís like a more intense version of Eli in terms of studying the game constantly and analyzing film. I think he has the tools to be a very good starter so I would like to see him get a shot before we go get another QB.

    My personal preference would be to trade our 1st and 2nd round picks, move down in the draft and accumulate talent in the first 3 rounds to help the LBs, DBs, the OL.

    I still think Eli has another 1-2 good years so Iíd like to see the team around him bulk up with talent and youth.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Don't worry. He's got this.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Va...heart between Giants Stadium and MSG
    Posts
    10,921
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    I dunno. Assuming we have a new GM Iím not sure what he will think of Webb, but everything I read about the guy suggests heís like a more intense version of Eli in terms of studying the game constantly and analyzing film. I think he has the tools to be a very good starter so I would like to see him get a shot before we go get another QB.

    My personal preference would be to trade our 1st and 2nd round picks, move down in the draft and accumulate talent in the first 3 rounds to help the LBs, DBs, the OL.

    I still think Eli has another 1-2 good years so Iíd like to see the team around him bulk up with talent and youth.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not without an offensive line. I thought Reese was going to do what Jerry Jones did for Romo....build up the Oline. We draft 2 QB's that is not playing...maybe they can't pick up the offense???

    But I'm confused as ****....coach is talking about benching Eli but we haven't seen Webb at all...owner says we should be looking to draft a QB.....

    I still believe Eli has a few more solid years left but I don't see it with McAdoo..... looking like he has to take a **** on the sidelines all the time.

    But nothing works without a running game....HA!

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    4,820
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    I dunno. Assuming we have a new GM Iím not sure what he will think of Webb, but everything I read about the guy suggests heís like a more intense version of Eli in terms of studying the game constantly and analyzing film. I think he has the tools to be a very good starter so I would like to see him get a shot before we go get another QB.

    My personal preference would be to trade our 1st and 2nd round picks, move down in the draft and accumulate talent in the first 3 rounds to help the LBs, DBs, the OL.

    I still think Eli has another 1-2 good years so Iíd like to see the team around him bulk up with talent and youth.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Again, Eli having one or two years left in him is not a bad thing, on the contrary, so it should not affect the decision about drafting a QB high in this Draft at all. You don't need to have the pick, whoever he may be, start day 1, I thought I explained this already. It may be actually regarded as the best case scenario, him sitting out for a year or two, especially considering most people agree even the top two prospects have flaws in their game that will need to be corrected by NFL coaching.

    Webb has going to be a project, that much I think was clear ever since he was drafted. There's nothing about him coming out that suggested he may be ready to start in the NFL immediately. Now, it wouldn't be fair, or best for everyone involved, to have whoever the next HC is (and again, I'm working under the assumption that Ben will be let go) inherit that project. Especially knowing he will have a top pick in the Draft and therefore the chance to select one of the top prospects in the class without having to pay the fortune usually required to trade up.

    I don't think we'll be going in full rebuild mode, and I don't really think we should be, therefore I don't see why the need to acquire as many picks as possible and trading down to do so. For all the mistakes that he made, Reese's big-money FA class will remain signed and most of them in their prime too for at least one or two more years. We also have talented young players on both sides of the ball still on rookie contracts. I'm sure whoever the GM after the end of this season may be will recognize this as well.

    While not every thing can be replicated with the same success in this league, I think you can still look around at what some of the teams are doing and how they got to where they are. For example, you have Cleveland on one side who for years have declined the chance to draft a quarterback high in the Draft, trading down instead and investing multiple picks to rebuild their roster (which they had to, we're not there, at least not yet, so this only goes to emphasize how big and how rare of an opportunity this is) currently sitting at 0-8. You then have teams like the Eagles or the Rams, who have traded up small fortunes for their quarterbacks, made sure they got the right coaching staffs and supporting casts in place afterwards, and you have one of those teams having the best record in the NFL, the other sits tied at 2nd. They're 1st and 2nd scoring offensive units in the league as well. Houston, Kansas City, they traded up for their quarterbacks as well. Texans got one of the most exciting young player in the league in Watson (who everyone assumed was a flawed prospect at the position, BTW) for a while before he went down for the year. Kansas may not get to see Mahomes taking over too soon because since then Alex Smith has played at a totally different level, but it's still not a bad decision, regardless.

    So you have teams trading away some of their future 1st round picks (and more than that) to secure their quarterbacks, then use that as a starting point to start building their offense around him and have great success. Then you have us sitting with a top 3 or so pick on our hands, virtually no need to trade up to get to land one of the top prospects. So yeah, I think this is a pretty rare chance we can't miss on. I wouldn't trade down for anything in this world, unless they're getting a fortune in return and are either not feeling great about whoever's available at the position or are sure they can still get the guy they want even with the trade down.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    32,717
    I get your point. I still wonder what people view of Webb since he was a 3rd round pick and was at least hyper pre-draft as possible first round talent.

    The new GM and HC will have to decide if he's the guy. If not, yeah I'm sure they're going to take a hard look at franchise QB for all the reasons you mentioned.

    Don't worry. He's got this.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    4,820
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    I get your point. I still wonder what people view of Webb since he was a 3rd round pick and was at least hyper pre-draft as possible first round talent.

    The new GM and HC will have to decide if he's the guy. If not, yeah I'm sure they're going to take a hard look at franchise QB for all the reasons you mentioned.
    I don't really think there was any hype about Webb being a possible 1st round talent. Like, okay, you might've heard or read from someone name dropping him as a long shot dark horse to be selected earlier than expected, but I never got the impression his stock was higher than a mid-round pick.

    Also, I know people around here and in general have been wondering when we'll get to watch him come in this season, but I personally wouldn't bet on that happening with McAdoo still having the job. Because while I haven't listened to him much in recent weeks, only sound bites and a quote here and there, I'm getting the impression that he knows he's very much on the hot seat, and is doing his best trying to play it cool as if somehow things can still turn around and to give the impression he's still in charge of the locker room. The only way that might be possible (team doing enough and him keeping his job), is with Eli under center. No way he can afford to say "**** it" and tank or sacrifice the rest of the season merely to take a look at Webb, unless somehow he's reassured behind the scenes by the people at the top of the organization that he'll stick around for next year.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    London,England
    Posts
    12,750
    I presume all Giants fans will be tuned in to UCLA vs USC this weekend

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    If you had your choice among, Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Jackson or Finley , who would it be? Would you pass and draft Barkley from Penn State instead? The best OL seems to be the guard from Notre Dame , would you take him ?
    Iíve watched many Notre Dame games since CFB season started and Nelson looks like a future All-Pro guard. I actually like both of NDís projected first rounders, Nelson and Mcglinchey but the former plays a lot like Zach Martin.

    Itís early to say who will be drafted where but iím closely following these college prospects because they can help our team and iím all but certain theyíll be available when we pick:

    Bradley Chubb DE(gives us that 3rd pass rushing threat who weíve been missing for years)

    James Washington WR (projected right now as a late 1st - early 2nd rounder who would be great if he falls to us in round 2. Washington on one side with OBJ on the other, Shep in the slot, add Engram and you can have a formidable pass attack)

    Quenton Nelson OG (his highlights and attributes speak for themselves. Iím never fully comfortable drafting OLinemen in the first round, but he seems to be the consensus best OLineman and if we fix our LT issues prior to the draft, he might be the final piece to a very solid offensive line unit. )

    Mike Mcglinchey OT (honestly i hope we acquire a LT in the offseason because as much as i love Mcglinchey, you donít know what youíll get with these prospect LTs, some work out others donít and we canít afford another wasted first round pick on a LT.)

    Derwin James S ( playmaker with world class athleticism, heíll benefit a lot from playing alongside Landon Collins, very versatile safety who brings explosiveness and power to the defensive backfield)

    Roquon Smith LB (speedy sideline to sideline LB, might become our long term answer at OLB, reminds me so much of Deion Jones coming out of LSU since theyíre both fast LBs who can cover TEs and RBs. However, I wouldnít draft him in the top 10 especially if the players mentionned above are available.)

    As for QBs, i donít see how we draft a QB in round 1 if we donít address our Oline issues first. If anything, i wouldnít mind taking a flier on someone like Baker Mayfield in round two, especially if we trade down in round one and acquire a 2nd round pick which we can use on a QB in case the coaching staff and management would like Davis Webb to have some better competition at QB. I see some Matthew Stafford in Mayfield, especially when he gets out of the pocket. Regarding Webb, I donít know much about him, aside from his great arm and we have yet to see anything from him to indicate heíll be Eliís successor. One interesting QB iím seeing alot on draft boards is Luke Falk, projected late 2nd- early 3rd rounder.
    Last edited by Armo_NYG_fan; 11-18-2017 at 05:10 PM.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    4,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Armo_NYG_fan View Post
    Iíve watched many Notre Dame games since CFB season started and Nelson looks like a future All-Pro guard. I actually like both of NDís projected first rounders, Nelson and Mcglinchey but the former plays a lot like Zach Martin.

    Itís early to say who will be drafted where but iím closely following these college prospects because they can help our team and iím all but certain theyíll be available when we pick:

    Bradley Chubb DE(gives us that 3rd pass rushing threat who weíve been missing for years)

    James Washington WR (projected right now as a late 1st - early 2nd rounder who would be great if he falls to us in round 2. Washington on one side with OBJ on the other, Shep in the slot, add Engram and you can have a formidable pass attack)

    Quenton Nelson OG (his highlights and attributes speak for themselves. Iím never fully comfortable drafting OLinemen in the first round, but he seems to be the consensus best OLineman and if we fix our LT issues prior to the draft, he might be the final piece to a very solid offensive line unit. )

    Mike Mcglinchey OT (honestly i hope we acquire a LT in the offseason because as much as i love Mcglinchey, you donít know what youíll get with these prospect LTs, some work out others donít and we canít afford another wasted first round pick on a LT.)

    Derwin James S ( playmaker with world class athleticism, heíll benefit a lot from playing alongside Landon Collins, very versatile safety who brings explosiveness and power to the defensive backfield)

    Roquon Smith LB (speedy sideline to sideline LB, might become our long term answer at OLB, reminds me so much of Deion Jones coming out of LSU since theyíre both fast LBs who can cover TEs and RBs. However, I wouldnít draft him in the top 10 especially if the players mentionned above are available.)

    As for QBs, i donít see how we draft a QB in round 1 if we donít address our Oline issues first. If anything, i wouldnít mind taking a flier on someone like Baker Mayfield in round two, especially if we trade down in round one and acquire a 2nd round pick which we can use on a QB in case the coaching staff and management would like Davis Webb to have some better competition at QB. I see some Matthew Stafford in Mayfield, especially when he gets out of the pocket. Regarding Webb, I donít know much about him, aside from his great arm and we have yet to see anything from him to indicate heíll be Eliís successor. One interesting QB iím seeing alot on draft boards is Luke Falk, projected late 2nd- early 3rd rounder.
    I think concerns about his height aside, just about everything he could've done to prove himself as a QB, Mayfield did this year. I'd be surprised if he makes it out of the 1st. I don't know much about it, but I know there are people questioning his maturity. I don't know how much teams will take that into consideration, but just by going off of his play, he looks very promising.

    Also, I love all of those prospects. But if we're picking top 3 (which we will, unless of course we trade out of it), I wouldn't spend that pick on either of them.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    4,820
    I'm falling back in love with Josh Allen again. I think he struggled a bit and he showed some accuracy issues he'll need to fix, but it's hard not to love that arm strength and talent, his composure in the pocket, can also throw on the run. I think Rosen and Darnold are both probably a bit safer prospects, especially Rosen, but I honestly don't think someone like Allen comes around very often. He can clean his game up for a year or maybe two behind Eli. I've also seen rumors that the Jets really like him. I'd hate that, I'd rather see him in blue.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •