Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

The Next Franchise QB of the NY Giants

First of all, just to make it clear. This is not a thread about bashing or replacing Eli.

But there are some truths we need to accept, and that is that Eli is getting up there in age, and his arm has been questionable at times, this year. He showed much more rattled behind this offensive line than ever in the past, and that's not a good sign. Even if you believe a replacement is not yet needed, I may happen to one of those people, we might use someone to learn the position behind him, for when we do end up needing a replacement.

Also, Nassib is an upcoming free agent. And though I liked him quite a lot coming up, I think it's pretty accurate to say he's not someone to hold your breath for when he does finally sees the field. So we may very well end up letting him walk. What then?

First of all, when should we look to draft a QB? Should it be this year, given that Nassib is a FA and all? Are there promising enough mid-round prospects this year? If so, does anyone have a favorite? One other thing to keep in mind that looks almost guaranteed, is that whoever our next QB is going to be, he'll start his career with McAdoo as a HC. What do you think are the traits to look for, in a guy that would fit McAdoo's offensive system? Me, personally, I think someone who's able or who's smart enough to learn how to read defenses on the fly. Who recognizes coverages and is fit to make the right checks at the line. Probably someone with a good quick release, who can be trusted to go through his progressions. Good short to intermediate accuracy I think is required, and also the arm talent and strength to take the occasional shots down the field. I haven't caught up with the prospects, but I like some of what I saw of Brad Kaaya.

Also, how soon should we look to pick him, if we do go ahead with it this year? 3rd round? 4th round? Maybe later, assuming we're comfortable rolling the dice on whoever is left in the later rounds, or that we miss out on the or some of the guys that we like? May waiting for next year's class be a little too risky? Considering Eli has three years left on his contract, whoever we draft this year will be on the final year of his rookie contract by the time Eli will hit the FA (and almost turn 39). Is that something you think we'd like to avoid? Or do we want the benefit of having the young man in the system for as long as possible, to make sure that he learns what he needs to and to make sure that we also have enough time to figure out if he's indeed the guy we trust as the future face of this franchise?

Anyway, I'd like to know what you guys think. I'd also like to keep this thread alive along the way, but if it happens to die, then I guess so be it.

This is where that 4th round penalty will hurt us a little.

I agree that this is a good time to pick up a talented QB who can learn under Eli for 1-2 years. Pat Maholmes at Texas Tech seems perfect for this role, but he may not be around by round 4 and I am not sure the Giants will use a 2 or 3 on a QB.

Don't worry. He's got this.

Brad Kaaya is not good when he's under pressure. That's about all I know about him.

I say next years draft

Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    This is where that 4th round penalty will hurt us a little.

I agree that this is a good time to pick up a talented QB who can learn under Eli for 1-2 years. Pat Maholmes at Texas Tech seems perfect for this role, but he may not be around by round 4 and I am not sure the Giants will use a 2 or 3 on a QB.
    My guess would be that if it happens for a QB they really like to fall into the 4th, they wouldn't hesitate trading up. We've seen that Reese is not exactly afraid to do so, and if they think it's time to add a solid QB prospect behind Eli, and are confident whoever they target is the guy they want, I think they pull it off. The price of trading up in the 4th also wouldn't be that high.

Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post
    Brad Kaaya is not good when he's under pressure. That's about all I know about him.
    That's something to keep in mind for sure, but mostly I think that when it comes mid-round QB prospects that won't be asked to start day 1, the good pretty much should always overcome the bad, unless there are off the field red flags and character issues. Because you should have enough time to fix those.

Chad Kelly? in the 5-7 round.
    He has the Physical Tools. Strong arm and can push the ball
    He did have off the field issues. Not sure how bad they were of the top of my head, and did end the season with a leg injury, Sitting behind Eli for 2-4 years would be the best thing for him.

Joshua Dobbs 6-7 round
    He'll have to bulk up, but he'd be another guy who could sit behind Eli for 2-4 years bulk up and learn.

Take a chance on a QB to sit/watch/learn behind Eli for 3-4 years. Hopefully by then our O-Line can protect longer than 2.5 Seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Bburns View Post
    He did have off the field issues. Not sure how bad they were of the top of my head, and did end the season with a leg injury, Sitting behind Eli for 2-4 years would be the best thing for him.

Joshua Dobbs 6-7 round
    He'll have to bulk up, but he'd be another guy who could sit behind Eli for 2-4 years bulk up and learn.

Take a chance on a QB to sit/watch/learn behind Eli for 3-4 years. Hopefully by then our O-Line can protect longer than 2.5 Seconds
    Hopefully by the time the next QB is ready to play, the OL will be a lot stronger.

The team still needs a true LT IMO, but I doubt they make a play for one in this draft. They will more likely go after a guy to play RG in the 2nd or 3rd round. But if they do, they will have a very young and talented line overall for the future.

Eli's contract runs through 2020 when he'll be 39.

Hard to plan around him because I can see him retiring healthy this year as much as I can see him playing until he's 42 and finishing on some random other teams.

I'd like to think, barring earlier retirement, he finishes his contract (likely reduced by then) and grooms the next QB. So I'd agree, 2017 draft is a good time to start looking, though the QB class is rough.

I don't think a big market franchise like us can dick around at the QB spot for very long, especially if Beckham is here long term. So I'd rather not mess with late round gambles, etc. Within the next 3 years well see another franchise qb at the top of the draft and we'll have to make the same move we did in 04 and get them.

Right now we need to build the oline. We need a strong oline to protect a veteran qb we have and to protect a future young qb. We have some young strong talent with Richburg, Pugh and Flowers so really just 2 pieces away.

Joshua Dobbs 6-7 round

Isn't Kelly an immature guy with tons of red flags about his character and incidents both off and on the field? No, thanks. I wouldn't want him, and I can't picture Reese thinking of him as the guy to groom into Eli's replacement and the next face of this franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei00 View Post
    Isn't Kelly an immature guy with tons of red flags about his character and incidents both off and on the field? No, thanks. I wouldn't want him, and I can't picture Reese thinking of him as the guy to groom into Eli's replacement and the next face of this franchise.
    To the best of my knowledge he hasn't been an issue since being at Ole Miss as tje starting QB , I do remember he got into a fight with a bouncer in buffalo and might have resisted arrest. I don't remember 100% but i know i read somewhere after he did his community service in Haiti he changed his whole routine and became a better team mate . I remember reading the Article before the season. I think Bleacher report had it .

Taking a flyer on a QB in the 5th round isn't a huge deal to me. Between Eli and Ben McAdoo i think they'd handle chad.

To the best of my knowledge he hasn't been an issue since being at Ole Miss as tje starting QB , I do remember he got into a fight with a bouncer in buffalo and might have resisted arrest. I don't remember 100% but i know i read somewhere after he did his community service in Haiti he changed his whole routine and became a better team mate . I remember reading the Article before the season. I think Bleacher report had it .

Taking a flyer on a QB in the 5th round isn't a huge deal to me. Between Eli and Ben McAdoo i think they'd handle chad.
    It may not look like a big deal if you look at the investment as only being a 5th round pick. But if you are thinking of grooming him into a future franchise QB, and not just a backup for as long as his rookie contract allows him, then it's much more risky. It's not nice in that waiting transition between two franchise quarterback, and it wouldn't be nice if, say, Eli finishes his career either sooner than expected or walks when his contract expires, and you don't have a replacement for him already on roster, and you're either not in a position to take a QB high in the Draft, or you're not satisfied with that the class has to offer.

There are much bigger implications, I think, on missing on a QB this time around. Because unlike when we took Nassib, there are much more realistic chances of Eli not having that much more left in him. So I think they might be wise to look at the next guy not as a project, but as an actual viable replacement. Which is why all those red flags would have me stay far away from Kelly.

No chance I see the Giants banking any kind of draft pick on a QB with any off field red flags. No chance.

I like Davis Webb from Cal

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei00 View Post
    It may not look like a big deal if you look at the investment as only being a 5th round pick. But if you are thinking of grooming him into a future franchise QB, and not just a backup for as long as his rookie contract allows him, then it's much more risky. It's not nice in that waiting transition between two franchise quarterback, and it wouldn't be nice if, say, Eli finishes his career either sooner than expected or walks when his contract expires, and you don't have a replacement for him already on roster, and you're either not in a position to take a QB high in the Draft, or you're not satisfied with that the class has to offer.

There are much bigger implications, I think, on missing on a QB this time around. Because unlike when we took Nassib, there are much more realistic chances of Eli not having that much more left in him. So I think they might be wise to look at the next guy not as a project, but as an actual viable replacement. Which is why all those red flags would have me stay far away from Kelly.
    There's a few other Project QB's i'm interested in see what they could do with learning behind Eli and under the control of the offensive minded Mac . Joshua Dobbs has alot to offer he needs to bulk up . you can't play 16 games at his current size , Davis Webb is also a interesting choice too.

It may not look like a big deal if you look at the investment as only being a 5th round pick
    When it comes to the draft, anything from the 5-7 round are rounds worth taking risk. because cutting them before camp isn't a huge cap issue, and with the exception of the last few drafts we have been horrid in the late rounds.

But if you are thinking of grooming him into a future franchise QB, and not just a backup for as long as his rookie contract allows him, then it's much more risky.
    True, I am not set on wanting kelly, But when you talk about a NFL QB body style he has it. the Size the Arm the Toughness. He played at Ole Miss against very good defenses (LSU,BAMA)

Eli finishes his career either sooner than expected or walks when his contract expires, and you don't have a replacement for him already on roster, and you're either not in a position to take a QB high in the Draft, or you're not satisfied with that the class has to offer.
    QB Spot is Tricky. We all know this. in NY its harder than most places.
    Between the Weather/Fans/Media it's a tall task to play here

So I think they might be wise to look at the next guy not as a project, but as an actual viable replacement
    No College QB can come into the NYG and start. The Line/ The Offense / The No huddle every QB would be a project IMO . So if we take Flyers on the late rounds for the next few seasons to Groom an heir to Eli i'd be okay with it

Which is why all those red flags would have me stay far away from Kelly
    Kelly messed up, this is why pre draft interviews are important. He tore his ACL this past season , So that's the only reason he could be there in the 5th round or later . even with his off the field issues again i can't remember if after his community service in Haiti if he got in more trouble, i just remember Freeze saying Chad is changed and we are rolling with Him as the starting qb , The talent is there.
    Dak got a DUI just before the combine thats a reason he dropped. I'm not directly comparing them, Kelly for most of his football career looks like a self entitled jerk, IF he still has that attitude i wouldn't want him any where near the giants but again this is what the interviews are for .

Side Note:
    Eli is from Ole Miss and so is Kelly wonder if they had any discussions together .
    Eli was arrested for Public Intoxication in College.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast