Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Exum and Hill both had very good nights last night. Hill was around 30 minutes and was very effective. Exum played great when relieving Hill. If that is a glimpse of things to come, I am good with that. To keep Hill healthy and fresh, I would like to see him around 25 minutes a night and if Exum can play how he did last night, we have a very effective PG position.

The position of concern has been PF. Diaw was absolutely horrible. He was -18 when he was in... compared to the +18 when Johnson was playing PF. Favors was supposed to be feeling refreshed, but looked as slow and passive as ever. At this point, I say they shut him down and see if extended rest can heal him, otherwise he is not helpful to us. Diaw is old and should be used exclusively as a mentor. We arent'y developing him for the future. His defense is always bad. And his offensive game has been inconsistent. I like Lyles, I think he has been playing with energy. He has been trying to get to the hoop and not just settleing for the three. His defense needs work and he needs to improve, but I would prefer to see him struggle in a game then a guy like Favors or Diaw.

Wes, you want an arguement for us not not needing Hill. Look at our record before he started playing in December. We were still in the playoff running EASILY. And we had a rough schedule all throughout. Since then we've had Hill and a much easier schedule, and our record has improved. Hill is our best option, but he's the obvious choice to let go if he asks for too much. Because if he does our options are going to be Hill or Hayward, and I choose Hayward every day of the year.

If we don't have Burks or Hill we can easily afford everyone else on our roster for years. Exum isn't going to demand max money by any means, but his defense will improve to what it was the first season, I have no doubt of that.

Once again you asked for someone to have a decent argument to not sign Hill, and as a fact he missed the first 1/3 of the season and we were still easily in the playoffs without him. It would be nice to keep him, but he's not critical to the success of Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefistus View Post
    Wes, you want an arguement for us not not needing Hill. Look at our record before he started playing in December. We were still in the playoff running EASILY. And we had a rough schedule all throughout. Since then we've had Hill and a much easier schedule, and our record has improved. Hill is our best option, but he's the obvious choice to let go if he asks for too much. Because if he does our options are going to be Hill or Hayward, and I choose Hayward every day of the year.

If we don't have Burks or Hill we can easily afford everyone else on our roster for years. Exum isn't going to demand max money by any means, but his defense will improve to what it was the first season, I have no doubt of that.

Once again you asked for someone to have a decent argument to not sign Hill, and as a fact he missed the first 1/3 of the season and we were still easily in the playoffs without him. It would be nice to keep him, but he's not critical to the success of Utah.
    Still in the playoff hunt? Ca'mon man that's weak. Our roster is too deep to not be in the hunt. Your missing the point. With a weak PG we would get destroyed in the playoffs. Just making the playoffs should never be good enough. Besides, I asked for someone to give me a specific name. I'm looking for a specific player that makes sense to fill in for Hill if he wants too much money. I don't see a good option. Jazz fans are fed up with poor PG play. Not paying Hill and signing someone worse is not going to happen. We will sign Hill and he won't break the bank.

If Hill is going to miss time or leave us, I wouldn't mind seeing Hayward play PG with Hood and Johnson on the wings with Burks as the 6th man.

Do you guys think it's possible to put together some kind of package for Jimmy Butler? To start, I think it could make sense to throw in Favors and Exum.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderdood View Post
    If Hill is going to miss time or leave us, I wouldn't mind seeing Hayward play PG with Hood and Johnson on the wings with Burks as the 6th man.

Do you guys think it's possible to put together some kind of package for Jimmy Butler? To start, I think it could make sense to throw in Favors and Exum.
    I think we have the pieces it would take to get Jimmy Buttler. We have a number of draft picks and young players that should be enticing. We also have some expiring contracts that could be used to make the deal work.

However, I don't think he would be a good fit for our team. He has been apart of alot of drama the last year or two. He doesn't seem like a personality that would be a good fit on our team or in Utah.

Yeah, I'd have to say no to Butler. He's an extremely talented player but he really seems like a complete douche bag.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=43214525&ni...hat-comes-next

Very good article talking about the complexities of Favors. PF has been one of our weakest positions. I always thought Favors had a great attitude, but it mentions he has been frustrated with his role. Not saying that means he has a bad attitude, but it mentions that Favors would welcome a change of scenery. The biggest reason I never wanted to trade Favors is because he was always vocal about wanting to stay in Utah. However, Favors has never been overly successful at PF and he will only get limited minutes at center while we have a future all-star in Gobert.

Though Favor's trade value may be hurt by his injuries and play this year, he has a very reasonable contract and is still only 25, so not an overly risk acquisition for any team. For us, we have a good team that could make some noise in the playoffs, if we got a legit PF, it could make all the difference.

Any ideas on targets?

cue the millsap noise in 3...2...
    HAWKS '13 ,'1 4, & '15 PREMIERS

"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti...ffftt ffftt ffftt!"

"of course tom 'jan' brady would whine about a rule change."
    -chipurmunki

Quote Originally Posted by chipurmunki View Post
    cue the millsap noise in 3...2...
    Well he is still better than Favors and fits the team better???

lol

-chipurmunki

Favors has more injuries than we know. Our Jazz have kept things very quiet, but it is obvious. He is less aggressive and less explosive. His back has been a problem for years, and now his knees are going already. Long term nobody is going to want to invest huge dollars to him. Sadly we need to take him out of our long term plans as a starter. Perhaps he can be our back up center at a discount. Maybe playing 20 minutes off the bench will help his injuries.

That will solve our long term money problems for the most part. However, we need a new stretch PF. Potential replacements:

Trey Lyles- needs a few years to develop but still has a chance to be solid. Inconsistent shooting must be improved.
    Boris Diaw- not a starter on a playoff team. Plays well statistically with the other starters.
    Paul Millsap- looking for a new home, he will be too expensive for us unless we can unload a few contracts like Favors and Burks. Yes Chip you were right, but he could come back, right?
    Serge Ibaka- D and floor spacing 4 would be a great fit.

not a fan of any of those 4 listed, for various reasons. someone will become available, they always do.

-chipurmunki

Quote Originally Posted by chipurmunki View Post
    not a fan of any of those 4 listed, for various reasons. someone will become available, they always do.
    Typical Chip post. For once are you going to list a name of a player that would work better. We will never do better than Ibaka or Millsap for several reasons: we are not a destination city, and we don't have the cap space to pay anyone better. Chip if you think we can do better you are smokin. It doesn't matter anyway, we are not going to do anything drastic right before we need to resign Hayward.

Trade deadline is over and we didn't make any trades. Deron Williams was waived so it will be interesting to see if we pick him up now, as he publicly said he would like to return.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefistus View Post
    Trade deadline is over and we didn't make any trades. Deron Williams was waived so it will be interesting to see if we pick him up now, as he publicly said he would like to return.
    That would be a good pickup for the playoff push.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast