Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 167
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,294
    So looking over our roster, Favors seems like the most logical choice of player who has some trade value who may not fit our long term plans.

    Favors is most effective when he plays center, not power forward. When he is playing center backing up Rudy, he looks pretty good. Protects the rim well and rebounds very well. Offensively he is at his best posting up. however, when you pair him with Gobert, Gobert's man can help double him, limiting his ability to be effective in the post.

    I hear the Celtics are looking for a rim protecting big man who can rebound. What about Favors for Avery and Onyck? PG play seems to be our Achilles heel. Hill has been hurt and is in the last year of his contract. Avery would give us insurance in case Hill leaves. If Hill doesn't leave, both Avery and Hill have the ability to play off the ball, so could play together in smaller lineups.

    Don't get me wrong, I really like Favors, but he is only better than average when he is playing center, and with Rudy getting 32 minutes a night, that doesn't leave alot of time for Favors. And when we play Favors at PF, I don't think he is much better (if any better) than guys like Lyles, Diaw, Joe Johnson, etc.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,373
    We may have to cash out some dough for Joe Ingles, dudes been playing lights out!

    2011 Denver Bronco PSD Forum Fantasy Football Champion!
    2013 Denver Bronco PSD Forum Fantasy Football 2nd Place

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,294
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman5219 View Post
    We may have to cash out some dough for Joe Ingles, dudes been playing lights out!
    Agreed. In addition to playing well, I think he is a great fit for our system. He is a great passer and shooter. Teammates like him. And though he lacks athleticism, he is a smarter defender and is able to be effective. He is getting more minutes than Joe Johnson, so when we start getting healthy, I feel Johnson's minutes will be reduced before Ingle's minutes.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,294
    Alec Burks should be returning soon. A number of articles I have been reading have mentioned him finding minutes at the PG position. Aside from Hill, the PG position has been the weakest position on our team. Exum is inexperienced, Mack is inconsistent, and Neto is a backup at best. Below are a few options I think we have moving forward then oncce Burks and Exum get healthy and back on the floor.

    1) Burks plays well and wins the backup PG minutes, so we trade away Mack for a 2nd round pick, freeing up his cap room and using it to extend Hill

    2) Showcase Burks and that he is healthy and back in his old form which then provides trade value for him.

    3) We trade away Exum who should still have good value because we have other players infront of him. If we extend Hill and Hood, we have two players who are going to be our starters for the next few years. Burks can backup both positions.

    I don't like option 3 because I believe Exum can be special. Has the ability to be a dominant player on both ends of the floor. I have always liked Burks. If his injury days are behind him, he has the ability to be a potential 6th man. So it all comes down to what we get from Burks, but I am really excited to see him back on the floor soon!

  5. #20
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    822
    I know Favors is still returning from injury but he looks like a shell of himself. He looks to me hesitant at times to test his knee. I'm starting to wonder if he even fits our new scheme. He just looks out of place. Coach is not playing Favors and Rudy together a lot for a reason. Rudy has changed our plans and we are going to adjust our roster to him. Most of all the ball sticks when Favors gets it in the post, the team passing stops, and our offense stalls. That is not coach Quinn's offense. I love Favors and really want him to work out long term. Right now I just don't see it unless he signs for a major discount.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    822
    Quote Originally Posted by Raupie View Post
    Alec Burks should be returning soon. A number of articles I have been reading have mentioned him finding minutes at the PG position. Aside from Hill, the PG position has been the weakest position on our team. Exum is inexperienced, Mack is inconsistent, and Neto is a backup at best. Below are a few options I think we have moving forward then oncce Burks and Exum get healthy and back on the floor.

    1) Burks plays well and wins the backup PG minutes, so we trade away Mack for a 2nd round pick, freeing up his cap room and using it to extend Hill

    2) Showcase Burks and that he is healthy and back in his old form which then provides trade value for him.

    3) We trade away Exum who should still have good value because we have other players infront of him. If we extend Hill and Hood, we have two players who are going to be our starters for the next few years. Burks can backup both positions.

    I don't like option 3 because I believe Exum can be special. Has the ability to be a dominant player on both ends of the floor. I have always liked Burks. If his injury days are behind him, he has the ability to be a potential 6th man. So it all comes down to what we get from Burks, but I am really excited to see him back on the floor soon!
    Even if Alec is healthy I doubt he gets minutes over Ingles and Johnson. I would like to see him play back up PG.

    I have feeling someone is going to overpay Ingels this offseason. 3 and D versitle player who can pass with a high basketball IQ, can guard multiple positions, and is great in the locker room. Isn't that exactly what the new NBA is looking for. Someone will give him 10 per year.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,294
    Next few weeks will be interesting. I think we "technically" have every part we need to be a championship team. However, some of that is based on potential rather than production, and can we afford to keep all the required pieces next year.

    For example, we seem to keep getting hurt by quick PGs, however we have hill who is an above average PG defender and Exum who projects to be an elite defender at the PG position. Hill has been out and Exum has been inconsistent, but one of our weaknesses on the team seems to have the pieces to fix that area.

    Another example is the PF position. It has been one of our weakest positions all year, yet projected to be one of our strongest. Favors has been hurt but has the "potential" to be an all-star in that area. Lyles looked in summer league to have taken the next step, but has been inconsistent all year. And Diaw is supposed to have the composure of a crafty vet, but seems to have lost a step and typically hurts us more than helps us when he gets into the game. If Favors can even get back to his playing level from last year, we will be doing good. And if Lyles can find some consistency, our PF spot could very well become the strength it was expected to be.

    We have also lacked an athletic scorer. Burks has potential to be that guy. A few years ago he was in the conversation for 6th man of the year. If he can stay healthy, he has the potential to return to that level.

    The toughest part is when does "potential" turn into "production" . If we trade a guy who has potential but whose production isn't what it could be, we do not get good value for them.

    Last year we have obvious issues that we lacked veterans with experience, that was something that we did not have and could not develop in-house without waiting years and years. So we made moves this off-season and addressed that issue. This year we still have holes, but unlike past years, we have players on the team who could fill those holes if they performed to their potential.

    Long story short, the more I watch the team, the more I think our most logical move is to not make any moves other than using this year's cap space to extend Hill's contract before the off-season. Then this off-season, we need to resign Ingles and Heyward, let Diaw walk since it is not a guarenteed contract, resign Withey if possible as 3rd string center, but if he costs too much, maybe try to turn our 2 first round picks into a cost effective rim protecting backup center.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,800
    From the non stop injuries we've had this year, we are still in the playoffs and a few games out of the 4th seed. I think our potential has started to turn into production and we still have a lot of potential. I think the best move might be to not make one at his point.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Raupie View Post
    Next few weeks will be interesting. I think we "technically" have every part we need to be a championship team. However, some of that is based on potential rather than production, and can we afford to keep all the required pieces next year.

    For example, we seem to keep getting hurt by quick PGs, however we have hill who is an above average PG defender and Exum who projects to be an elite defender at the PG position. Hill has been out and Exum has been inconsistent, but one of our weaknesses on the team seems to have the pieces to fix that area.

    Another example is the PF position. It has been one of our weakest positions all year, yet projected to be one of our strongest. Favors has been hurt but has the "potential" to be an all-star in that area. Lyles looked in summer league to have taken the next step, but has been inconsistent all year. And Diaw is supposed to have the composure of a crafty vet, but seems to have lost a step and typically hurts us more than helps us when he gets into the game. If Favors can even get back to his playing level from last year, we will be doing good. And if Lyles can find some consistency, our PF spot could very well become the strength it was expected to be.

    We have also lacked an athletic scorer. Burks has potential to be that guy. A few years ago he was in the conversation for 6th man of the year. If he can stay healthy, he has the potential to return to that level.

    The toughest part is when does "potential" turn into "production" . If we trade a guy who has potential but whose production isn't what it could be, we do not get good value for them.

    Last year we have obvious issues that we lacked veterans with experience, that was something that we did not have and could not develop in-house without waiting years and years. So we made moves this off-season and addressed that issue. This year we still have holes, but unlike past years, we have players on the team who could fill those holes if they performed to their potential.

    Long story short, the more I watch the team, the more I think our most logical move is to not make any moves other than using this year's cap space to extend Hill's contract before the off-season. Then this off-season, we need to resign Ingles and Heyward, let Diaw walk since it is not a guarenteed contract, resign Withey if possible as 3rd string center, but if he costs too much, maybe try to turn our 2 first round picks into a cost effective rim protecting backup center.
    I disagree but only slightly, I think we have our athletic guy in Hayward. He's obviously our All-Star this year, he's played fantastic and has been extremely athletic.

    I think we should trade of Alec Burks as a salary dump, we don't need him as it stands, and will be able to off-load him to give money to someone else.

    Favors has been injured, and not played very well because of it. We might be able to extend his contract for cheap. If we can sign him and keep Diaw or cheap as well, I think that will be the best bang for our buck there. Rudy excels with a Pass first PF, and that's what Diaw is.

    Diaw and Johnson have been the "it" factor for our end game woes this year. I think the only reason we have been winning the late game is because those 2 have been teaching the young kids how to win. That being said I think we should extend Diaw as he's going to be a cheap asset for us. If Johnson wants to stay I say sign him, as long as he knows he's going to be a backup, and is happy with that role.

    As for Hill, I think we should sign him depending on production. If he doesn't play, he should get less money. I'm sure they can put some sort of clause in that contract.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,294
    I agree Heyward is athletic, I meant an athletic person coming off the bench. Though veteran presence coming off the bench is important, we need to ensure we have some athleticism coming off the bench as well with the second team. Ingles, Johnson, Diaw, Mac, etc. are all not the most athletic. So I mean we need to ensure we have some athleticism on the second team.

    The bad thing about trading Burks right now is we won't get good value for him and we don't know how good he is. Our team also struggles with putting points on the board and that is what Burks is known for. So though we probably all have a bad taste in our mouth with Burks because of his high salary and little to no production for the past two years, we need to know what we have in him before we making any moves.

    I agree with Favors at this point, if we can extend him for a discount, it makes sense, if not a discount, his injury past I think makes him too risky for us.

    The one player you didn't mention is Ingles. He has become our 6th man. He has outplayed Hood this year and is probably the best SG on the team right now. Though we have other players who have more potential, Ingles has been really good on both ends of the floor. As he continues to play well, we becomes more and more a key piece of our team.

    Quote Originally Posted by Firefistus View Post
    I disagree but only slightly, I think we have our athletic guy in Hayward. He's obviously our All-Star this year, he's played fantastic and has been extremely athletic.

    I think we should trade of Alec Burks as a salary dump, we don't need him as it stands, and will be able to off-load him to give money to someone else.

    Favors has been injured, and not played very well because of it. We might be able to extend his contract for cheap. If we can sign him and keep Diaw or cheap as well, I think that will be the best bang for our buck there. Rudy excels with a Pass first PF, and that's what Diaw is.

    Diaw and Johnson have been the "it" factor for our end game woes this year. I think the only reason we have been winning the late game is because those 2 have been teaching the young kids how to win. That being said I think we should extend Diaw as he's going to be a cheap asset for us. If Johnson wants to stay I say sign him, as long as he knows he's going to be a backup, and is happy with that role.

    As for Hill, I think we should sign him depending on production. If he doesn't play, he should get less money. I'm sure they can put some sort of clause in that contract.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,353
    I didn't mention Ingles as I thought it was a no-brainer to keep him. =) The last player we had that was top 3 point % player in the league was Korver. We let him go along with Mathews and our team was garbage afterwards. The Jazz Front Office better have learned from that mistake. If you can extend Ingles now, do it. I'm actually kinda surprised we haven't extended his contract yet.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,294
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefistus View Post
    I didn't mention Ingles as I thought it was a no-brainer to keep him. =) The last player we had that was top 3 point % player in the league was Korver. We let him go along with Mathews and our team was garbage afterwards. The Jazz Front Office better have learned from that mistake. If you can extend Ingles now, do it. I'm actually kinda surprised we haven't extended his contract yet.
    LOL... then we are on the same page. At the beginning of the season I thought he was a descent 5th wing. Then I thought he was a good offensive player off of the bench. But he has been playing some really good defense, though not athletic, very crafty and puts in alot of effort on the defensive end. He can also handle the ball and has been running point a number of times in the end of games. He has become extremely valuable so I agree we need to resign him.

    As far as extending him now, the only two players we can extend on our team at the moment are Hill and Favors. I don't know the rule exactly, but I am pretty sure that is what I read. We have to wait until the end of the season to resign Ingles. He won't be cheap, but I feel like he will give us at least some hometeam discount because our team is becoming a championship team and he has the opportunity to play with Exum.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,294
    http://hoopshype.com/storyline/milos...c-free-agency/

    Has anyone heard this? This says that the best non-NBA player in the world is interested in signing with the Jazz and the Jazz are interested in signing him. If this would happen, I'm guessing it would happen in the off-season.

    He is a PG / SG, so maybe they would be considering him as our backup PG if we resign Hill or maybe a plan B if Hill doesn't resign?

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,353
    The dude had 26 points and 9 assists in the preseason against the wolves!! wow, he looks good.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    822
    Let me start by saying I love Houdini. I wish he could stay healthy, and I wish he fit better on this team. That said he is and will remain the 5th wing player option on this team. Ingles and Johnson are a better fit for us. Ingles and Johnson help us win better than Burks. Our offense is best when we pass the ball. Burks is only insurance if Hayward takes off. The second we resign Hayward we can unload Burks contract for cap space. He could be a fantastic player on a up tempo or isolation offensive team.

    After looking at the insane contracts paid out last year Ingles could get a 8 digit payday. I don't know how we can match that and possibly resign Hood, Favors, and others. I trust Dennis to pay the players that truly help us win.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •