Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I seriously doubt any major talent is going to look at Philly until that franchise actually fields a Major League Baseball team.

When it comes to Ohtani, I have to assume there is some kind of plan to buy out the arbitration and control years.

Dodgers, Red Sox, Rangers, Cubbies, and Yankees are my bets for serious contenders.
    We’re pointing out that these statistics breed false narratives, and we value the truth. This isn’t about replacing old numbers with new numbers, or attempting to dissuade anyone from enjoying the aesthetics of the game. It is simply about telling the average fan about the reality of what actually happened on the field. The “Holy Trinity” of baseball statistics fail at this most basic task, and so they are not worth deifying any longer. - Dave Cameron

He'll sign with an AL team to P/DH.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

The punishments for teams that circumvent the signing rules with some kind of 'back-door' deal are apparently a 1 year ban on IFA signings and a 50% cut of IFA budget for up to 5 years.

Neither of those seem strong enough to deter a team like the Cubs or Dodgers from trying some **** to overcome their 300K limit on IFA signings.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    no team will allow his to do that. Either he will be a full time pitcher or hitter. You can't have him out there doing both and getting injured doing the other.

Anyone who thinks he will be allowed to DH when he doesn't pitch is absolutely delusional. Zero chance.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Anyone who thinks he will be allowed to DH when he doesn't pitch is absolutely delusional. Zero chance.

Exactly. This guy is not a professional level hitter. There have already been prospect guys who have said he's a non prospect with the bat.

Unrelated, but I feel like the Cubs almost have to land Otani. Lackey and Arrieta are going to FA which leaves them with Lester,Hendricks,Quintana,Montgomery. There's nothing left on the farm to land a top tier pitcher, no particularly great pitchers available in FA this offseason(Darvish,Arrieta,Cobb,etc), and no SP prospects who are top tier and anywhere near MLB ready. If they don't land him, barring some unlikely transaction, the rotation is going to be no better and likely worse than this year.
    Last edited by Tryptamine; 09-14-2017 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryptamine View Post
    Exactly. This guy is not a professional level hitter. There have already been prospect guys who have said he's a non prospect with the bat.
    That depends on what a team signs him to do. They may sign him to pitch, they may sign him to hit (as it appear he wants to DH only). The thing is whoever signs him has that in their back pocket. If he fails as a hitter, try him as a pitcher and vice versa.

I think he's a better hitter than you're giving him credit for though.

I'm pretty sure his strong suit is pitching.... why is this even a discussion? That's what I would want, my top pitcher running the bases and hitting.
    #BringBackMatty

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post

What if he demands it though and that puts a team's offer over the top? The guy wants to pitch and hit. It's not like the money is drastically different from team to team with the signing rules so they're going to have to distinguish themselves in other ways. If one team says "**** it, I don't want him to pitch and hit but if I don't let him hit he won't sign with me to pitch and I'd rather have him do both for me than neither."

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Nope.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Lets Talk Shohei Otani

I know the Jays have been scouting him hard, much more involved in him then previous names like Darvish and Tanaka. I still see them as a long shot but it would really be impressive for Shapiro and Atkins if they did land a big name like him. Would fit great for a team that's in between contending or rebuilding next season.

Interesting side not about the Ohtani discussion.

The guy would likely be the best offensive pitcher in the game were he to come over and yet the general consensus seems to be that no team would want him out there day after day.

The irony, is that the only way Ohtani gets his ABs is if he goes to an AL team and convinces ownership to let him DH every once and a while. In the NL he gets his 2.7 ABs a start and then pulled from the line-up.
    We’re pointing out that these statistics breed false narratives, and we value the truth. This isn’t about replacing old numbers with new numbers, or attempting to dissuade anyone from enjoying the aesthetics of the game. It is simply about telling the average fan about the reality of what actually happened on the field. The “Holy Trinity” of baseball statistics fail at this most basic task, and so they are not worth deifying any longer. - Dave Cameron

He would make more sense in the NL IMO. I'm not sure what he's like on the bases but he could make a great late game pinch hitter.

Any chance Otani becomes a reliever?

Lets Talk Shohei Otani

I can see him trying to the whole DH and SP thing for a year or two but ultimately sticking as a SP. the injury risk and work load to keep up with both seems too much.

Red Sox will be in it according to Sean McAdam

PAPI SMASH!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast