Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Lets Talk Shohei Otani

Pretty sick what he's doing in the JPPL, not only on the mound but at the plate. Kid has superstar written all over him for sure and I'm guessing he'll be posted next season when there is a chance that the CBA includes a new max negotiation fee for posting IFAs.

So where do you guys think he should play (pitcher or position player or both) and how much money will it cost to sign him?
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-17-2016 at 11:39 PM.

NL teams are going to overpay the **** out of him. So whoever has money.

Pretty sure the Cubs will make a serious run at this dude so I'm excited about that.

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    Pretty sure the Cubs will make a serious run at this dude so I'm excited about that.
    And unlike when Tanaka was posted, they don't currently carry the stigma of losing.

That was a reason Tanaka isn't on the Cubs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Future yankee.
    Spurs Sim league
    2 time Champion 653-331

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    No but it probably didn't help. But he just wanted to be a Yankee all along. Cubs were always second banana.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    It was a big one, yeah. Those were the two teams in on him the heaviest and there were several reports that he preferred the Yankees because he "wanted a chance to win."

I actually remember arguing with people here at the time that any player wanting a chance to win would be better served signing with the Cubs than with the Yankees, and that merely looking at their respective 2013 records was remarkably shortsighted for a young player about to sign a lengthy deal.

I would guess Cubs or Dodgers. NL managers would have absolute fun with this guy on the team.

I have seen some scouts and GMs say they would be OK letting him hit in between his starts and even start in left.

Put him in the AL actually. Start him day 1, rest day 2, DH day 3, LF day 4, PH day 5, then repeat the cycle.

His defense is not good enough to play on a consistent basis in the majors. Combine that with the significantly raised level of danger to his body and no one is going to let him play the field on off days. It's the same reason the Fighters stop playing him in the OF after a leg injury. I also doubt any team lets him DH, because despite what look to be gaudy numbers, most scouts don't think he's a great hitter and he's going to strike out a ton. He's going to be a very very good hitting pitcher, he is not going to be a very good everyday bat. With that said, he's going to cash in and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with a 250M deal. You can be sure the Cubs will be in, I'm not as sure with LAD as they seem more concerned with cost cutting, but again wouldn't be at all surprised.

I don't think a MLB team would seriously have him play two ways. I see him being a pitcher (his bat isn't as good as his arm, or as consistent).

He has the talent, and he could be the occasional DH/pinch hitter. But I just don't see it happening in todays game. They want guys to be focused.

Phillies have almost zero money on the books moving forward, so I'd love to see them make a run at this guy. What's his ETA for the MLB? Next offseason or the following?

Quote Originally Posted by TheIlladelph16 View Post
    Phillies have almost zero money on the books moving forward, so I'd love to see them make a run at this guy. What's his ETA for the MLB? Next offseason or the following?
    He can be posted next off-season without any signing restrictions.

He'd be 23.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast