Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    i love this deal... we needed bull pen help and he is really really good... Next up we need cespedas

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    i love this deal... we needed bull pen help and he is really really good... Next up we need cespedas
    He is pretty susceptible to the home run. Get your glove ready.

Kind of surprised Cubs haven't picked up Hammel's option. Even if they intend to make Montgomery the 5th starter, Hammel at 10M still has enough value to net you a decent prospect.

2016-2017 MLB Offseason Thread

I agree with that Trypt. They have to pick up Hammel's option.

If I was the Braves I'd be looking at Hammel and seeing what it would take to get him from the Cubs. They want two MLB starters and he is one of the better options out their. The FA are going to get huge deals for average pitchers IMO.

Cubs declined Hammel's option making him a FA

Bud black is colorados new manager

Cubs give Fowler a qualifying offer.

Dodgers trade Carlos Ruiz to the Mariners. They'll get back a pitcher on the 40 man roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryptamine View Post
    Cubs declined Hammel's option making him a FA

Which I found odd.

Jaime Garcia is of similar value with a similar option and the Cardinals have more starting depth than the Cubs do...and the Cardinals picked up Jaime's option and the Cubs let Hammell walk.

going into 2017 the Cubs have a rotation of

1. Lester
    2. Arrieta
    3. Hendricks
    4. Lackey
    5. Montgomery?

Others could be called upon like Carl Edwards Jr and Jake Buchanan and Rob Zastryny

The Cubs will certainly be adding at least one starter this off-season. But Hammell would have been a nice fall back option if they can't get a deal done that they like, or at least a trade chip. Unless they think they will be re-signing him at a lower price, I don't get the move.

The Cardinals have too many guys in their rotation and they picked up Garcia's option simply so they could move from the depth with a limited free agent pool of starters. Their current rotation (note, the Cubs rotation is better, they just have less depth and the two pitchers have similar values and similar options)

1. Martinez
    2. Wainwright
    3. Lynn
    4. Reyes
    5. Leake
    6. Garcia
    7. Wacha
    8. Weaver

And then others that can start like Lyons, Mayers, Gonzales, and Cooney.

If one of the teams were to pick up the option, I would have thought the Cubs would be the team to do so. Though, he wasn't on any post-season rosters I believe. But he also had a better season than Garcia.

The Cardinals will definitely be moving a starter out of the rotation in a trade, and two of Wacha, Weaver, Reyes will probably be going to the bullpen.

Garcia and Lynn are in the last years of their current contracts. I don't know who the Cards will be trading, but someone will be moving.

Phil Nevin is now the new 3B coach for San Francisco.

Free agency is open for business.

I think Edwin sets the tone this year. It's no secret he wants to stay in Toronto and his asking price has been set. I fully believe he'll give the Jays a home town discount if it's reasonable but regardless of where he goes I think he'll have a deal signed this time next week.

2016-2017 MLB Offseason Thread

A lot of talk that the White Sox could do a huge sell off. That makes Chris Sale, Jose Quintana, Jose Abreu, Todd Frazier, Melky Cabrera, David Robertson, Nate Jones, Brett Lawrie and maybe Adam Eaton available.

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast