Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 233 of 258 FirstFirst ... 133183223231232233234235243 ... LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,495 of 3856
    The "quality of work" most of those guys put into their articles on a regular basis is a joke. Symbolic of angry old men yelling at you to get off their lawns who are at the tail end of their careers so they've mailed it in. Middling local sports team reporters who have been doing the same exact thing since the 80's. The epitome of that depressed dying newspaper breed

Quote Originally Posted by BChydro86 View Post
    They don't even write well thought out stories. Mostly provably false or bad opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes they do. But that's neither here nor there. I'm not trying to get you to like them.

I just was disappointed that Cooney was attached to such a Smallwood headline. And I actually like the headline of the Smallwood article.
    I'm in the upside-down.

Quote Originally Posted by sixer04fan View Post
    The "quality of work" most of those guys put into their articles on a regular basis is a joke. Symbolic of angry old men yelling at you to get off their lawns who are at the tail end of their careers so they've mailed it in. Middling local sports team reporters who have been doing the same exact thing since the 80's. The epitome of that depressed dying newspaper breed
    Is there a "like" button for posts? Cause we need one!

Tell us how you really feel. Lol

I think some of you are being a bit rough on Cooney. He joins in on 97.5 once in a while and he has some good view points to listen to. No, I don't agree with the aggressive headline in today's article, but come on, the season is over and sometimes you need to over emphasize to get a read.

Quote Originally Posted by MTone8788 View Post
    I think some of you are being a bit rough on Cooney. He joins in on 97.5 once in a while and he has some good view points to listen to. No, I don't agree with the aggressive headline in today's article, but come on, the season is over and sometimes you need to over emphasize to get a read.
    From my POV, he's been a lot better on the radio lately, for sure. I'll be the first to give him some props for that

From my POV, he's been a lot better on the radio lately, for sure. I'll be the first to give him some props for that
    Your sig makes me sad.

PROCESSING

i dont care for any writers for the most part rather national or local. i follow Bodner for the comments by the brainwashed analytical nerds who hardly watch games and Tom Moore bcuz he keeps it simple.

I like Tom Moore too. He reports what's going on. A little opinion. Stays open to lots of things.

Kinda funny that the people on here who don't get analytics are the ones who don't like Bodner.

PROCESSING

2016-2017 Official Roster/Transaction Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheDish87 View Post
    i dont care for any writers for the most part rather national or local. i follow Bodner for the comments by the brainwashed analytical nerds who hardly watch games and Tom Moore bcuz he keeps it simple.
    Why don't you think the "analytical nerds" watch games? I'm willing to guess you have less than zero evidence to back up a claim like that.

For the most part I'd say "analytical nerds" are also "basketball nerds" who might be more likely to watch more games.

Just because people use analytics is not indicative, in any way shape or form, of whether someone watched a game.

It's simply a reflection of intelligence, to use factual statistics and numbers to back up an opinion.

I'm sure there are more than enough people not watching games who thought 17 and 7 meant that Jahlil Okafor was good.

Last edited by BChydro86; 04-21-2017 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post

Kinda funny that the people on here who don't get analytics are the ones who don't like Bodner.
    When people aren't smart enough to understand something they get scared and angry.

Why don't you think the "analytical nerds" watch games? I'm willing to guess you have less than zero evidence to back up a claim like that.

For the most part I'd say "analytical nerds" are also "basketball nerds" who might be more likely to watch more games.

Just because people use analytics is not indicative, in any way shape or form, of whether someone watched a game.

It's simply a reflection of intelligence, to use factual statistics and numbers to back up an opinion.

I'm sure there are more than enough people not watching games who thought 17 and 7 meant that Jahlil Okafor was good.

i didnt say all of them dont watch games, its just apparent form the comments a lot of times many dont. These statz will never tell the whole story. never have, never will. These players coming out of college arent scouted based off an analytical approach either for a reason.

When people aren't smart enough to understand something they get scared and angry.

nailed it.

wow

I mean I'll put it this way:
    Not all analytics are "nerd stats". NBA.com's hustle stats are considered analytics, but all it's doing is taking a standard stag, like shooting%, and breaks it down to areas like shooting% in the lane. Or Defensive FG% and making it within the paint or outside the arc. That's considered "analytic" but it's taking a standard stat and breaking it down the a further element.

And those are the "analytic" stats that I love. It takes what I see and quantifies what I see.

Like the one I love (and teams do too) is FG% inside 8 feet. Not all guys that block a whole lot of blocks in counting stats have a great DFG% within 8 feet. That's not some manic Mumbo Jumbo coming up with that (like VORP); that's a straight up counting stay with a focused element.

And that's a lot of what Bodner uses along with the calculated analytic stats, because he always admits that VORP, Def/100, ect don't tell the full story, but when you combine a lot of those things you get a great picture.

My favorite example will always be Holmes. He's fun to watch and has all this energy and gives great effort. But when you really dig into his impact, it's not all that great and he's a slight below replacement level player. That's not hate on the guy, it's just a look into the reality of what he is. He will block shots but he will give up a ton of points in the paint because he's aggressive. He will always be a foul liability because he leaves his feet a lot. Offensively he will never be a guy that beats a lot of guys one on one because he has a very high number of assisted baskets. He also took a ton of shots at a high rate with no defenders within 6 feet. You take the inverse of that (defenders within 6 feet, non-assisted shots, ect.) he wasn't as good.

PROCESSING

most of that is unnecessary. Why not credit Holmes (or the O) for doing his job and creating space where there is a defender that far away? thats called execution and you just tried to make it a negative. Any active defender (even more so in the paint) is foul liability so thats not a big deal anyway especially not for a backup. More so, who cares if Holmes is beating guys 1v1 as our back up C? how many of them in the league even do that consistently? thats my issue with some of these statz they overthink things and they dont account for what happened on the floor that led to what happened on a play and/or how that player got there.
    Last edited by TheDish87; 04-21-2017 at 11:30 AM.