Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    I don't "frown upon it"
    Well I smile upon it too. Was just pointing that out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    Well I smile upon it too. Was just pointing that out.
    Seriously we are grown ups here. If someone berating a poster or people are fighting to the point were other discussion can't take place they need to be stopped. If call me a douche once it's cool. Why do we care?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    That would kill mods to have every time a *********** word is used to have to moderate that. That is so over the top.
    Here's the thing.

Let's say a poster goes to a mostly un-moderated forum where the word douchebag is used to "insult" someone and no one reports it. The fact that it remains published sets a precedent -- a precedent that it is acceptable language. Now the same poster goes to a heavily moderated forum, refers to someone as a douchebag, and gets infracted. It is not appropriate to infract the poster because the user's prior experience was that calling someone a "douchebag" was acceptable language. The rules have to be enforced consistently and across all boards, otherwise the "line in the sand" is set arbitrarily forum by forum.

Here's an example of over-moderation.

I am not allowed to read posts by a specific poster. I am supposed to filter him. Why? Because (apparently) the poster believed I was hell-bent on baiting him. Not true. I have nothing against him and have never treated or responded to him any differently than any other poster. I say "apparently" because when I asked for a reason, no reason was given and that's my best guess.

So in some cases we have under-moderation, and over-moderation.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 10-30-2016 at 04:49 PM.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Good example is today: MJNetsIsles goes off directly insulting at least 3-4 separate posters in numerous threads while bringing off topic political garbage in to sports conversations and embedding pictures in to his posts....and is only banned a week. Maybe he's just having a bad day but I don't see what kind of redeeming qualities he could ever bring to one of PSD's forums. Just an angry simpleton that thinks it is him against the world.

I've never done anything close to that at any time on this site and always make sure to refrain from petty name calling....yet get banned for months at a time for getting in to heated arguments and/or using sarcasm to deflect others nonsense (and will be permabanned the next time someone from my "fan club" decides to get a stick up their *** and start reporting all my posts).

The system is ****ed.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Here's the thing.

Let's say a poster goes to a mostly un-moderated forum where the word douchebag is used to "insult" someone and no one reports it. The fact that it remains published sets a precedent -- a precedent that it is acceptable language. Now the same poster goes to a heavily moderated forum, refers to someone as a douchebag, and gets infracted. It is not appropriate to infract the poster because the user's prior experience was that calling someone a "douchebag" was acceptable language. The rules have to be enforced consistently and across all boards, otherwise the "line in the sand" is set arbitrarily forum by forum.

Here's an example of over-moderation.

I am not allowed to read posts by a specific poster. I am supposed to filter him. Why? Because (apparently) the poster believed I was hell-bent on baiting him. Not true. I have nothing against him and have never treated or responded to him any differently than any other poster. I say "apparently" because when I asked for a reason, no reason was given and that's my best guess.

So in some cases we have under-moderation, and over-moderation.
    There are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of posts per day. We will miss things. We do not have enough moderators to ensure all posts are deemed acceptable. Some of the onus falls on the posters as well. A reasonable person would consider "douchebag" an unacceptable word to describe someone, which would be correct. If for some reason an insult, bait, etc. doesn't get deleted, that doesn't/shouldn't mean it's ok for another user to use it in the same context. This is where common sense comes into play.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Good example is today: MJNetsIsles goes off directly insulting at least 3-4 separate posters in numerous threads while bringing off topic political garbage in to sports conversations and embedding pictures in to his posts....and is only banned a week. Maybe he's just having a bad day but I don't see what kind of redeeming qualities he could ever bring to one of PSD's forums. Just an angry simpleton that thinks it is him against the world.

I've never done anything close to that at any time on this site and always make sure to refrain from petty name calling....yet get banned for months at a time for getting in to heated arguments and/or using sarcasm to deflect others nonsense (and will be permabanned the next time someone from my "fan club" decides to get a stick up their *** and start reporting all my posts).

The system is ****ed.
    The reasoning for the length of his ban is due to the amount of points he's accrued on his account so far. If he continues that behavior, he will have bans that will last one month, two months, etc.

Yup. The system does need work and we're trying to improve it.

Don't ban Spliff. You know the next time someone can't take a joke he will get in trouble and you will lose a good poster that is keeping your site alive. He won't do anything but try and be funny and you will lose a good poster. If you want to change something take some points away from him.

Keyword there is "try". Thanks though, ewing.

Keyword there is "try". Thanks though, ewing.

they can do what's right or say "well a rule's a rule" and stick there head in the sand

The latter seems to be the way of the world.

they can do what's right or say "well a rule's a rule" and stick there head in the sand
    Efforts are underway to make things better for all members. Rules are being discussed and leniency is at the forefront. The ultimate goal being increased membership and participation with hopefully interesting, informative and thought provoking content / posts the result.

You must have parameters for civil discourse to occur, otherwise it disintegrates to the gutter. I realize we are passionate and can get emotional when discussing sport. I understand and support such passion. Keep in mind, however, such can take place without insults, baiting, or egotistical grandstanding that leads to condescending attitudes. No one, except maybe the author, appreciates inane drivel, off topic intrusions or disruptive behavior. Efforts underway are designed to provide a more relaxed and welcoming environment for all.
    “Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” — Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein
    "If I had more time I would write more briefly."

The system is ****ed.
    The problem with the getting posts reported, is a lot of times (that I remember) the person reporting wasn't taken into account. I think reporting should be a feature taken away from some posters because they abuse it as a 'help help save me from the meanie.'
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    The problem with the getting posts reported, is a lot of times (that I remember) the person reporting wasn't taken into account. I think reporting should be a feature taken away from some posters because they abuse it as a 'help help save me from the meanie.'
    Some posters have had their RP abilities taken away when they abuse it for their own agendas. After the recent hack our plug-ins were disabled by SDI (plug-ins were a gateway). Since that software feature isn't working automatically anymore, from here on it will be handled manually. When posters have their RP privileges taken away they're not to report anything or they will get hit with a Disruptive Behavior infraction.

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Efforts are underway to make things better for all members. Rules are being discussed and leniency is at the forefront. The ultimate goal being increased membership and participation with hopefully interesting, informative and thought provoking content / posts the result.

You must have parameters for civil discourse to occur, otherwise it disintegrates to the gutter. I realize we are passionate and can get emotional when discussing sport. I understand and support such passion. Keep in mind, however, such can take place without insults, baiting, or egotistical grandstanding that leads to condescending attitudes. No one, except maybe the author, appreciates inane drivel, off topic intrusions or disruptive behavior. Efforts underway are designed to provide a more relaxed and welcoming environment for all.

that's good but i was talking about Spliff. You know he is a good poster. Take a look at his points, i'm sure 1/2 of them are BS

that's good but i was talking about Spliff. You know he is a good poster. Take a look at his points, i'm sure 1/2 of them are BS
    I'm a relatively new mod. I am unfamiliar with the infraction history of many members and circumstances which led to infraction. I can't comment on what has happened in past or whether there is any merit to the claim half are BS. What I can say, many things are being discussed and changes are sure to result.
    “Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” — Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein
    "If I had more time I would write more briefly."

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast