Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmmahhh View Post
    Wouldn't we need SDI approval to manually ban or to address some of your questions you brought up earlier?
    SDI told me, basically, we run the site as we see fit, and if there's anything we're not comfortable dealing with, then we can get their opinion.

Things such as modifying the infraction system, that's where we have to go through them since we don't have the ability to change that.

Moderation General

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    Well I was unaware of the user contacting for the hack, but regardless I'd think that was a whole bigger of a mess and potential legal mess/repercussion than "let's make the non-money making forum better."

I don't necessarily disagree with users reaching out but it's a little off-putting when it's been said from moderators/admins that any suggestions they make fall on deaf ears.
    We've been told that our site recommendations/changes currently aren't a priority for SDI.

PSD Admin/Mods can't change that, but you guys can.
    Last edited by Timmmahhh; 10-25-2016 at 03:21 PM.
    Come Be The Apple Of The PWW Owner's Eye!

*PSD Wrestling Wars Link* http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...restling-Wars!

Can I raise one little concern?

Other than a few mods, I've noticed that most aren't as active anymore once they get mod-ed. Most stop posting as much, and I feel more "active" mods, who try to put and end to a discussion or take part on a deeper level would help. I think some of the better mods take part in discussions, and maybe no take sides but say something like "I think your onto something here".

Another thing, I know that points should be private for the most part, but Mods should more publicly write that someone's behavior has been warned, and anyone who pushes that conversation could be at risk as well. I feel as though more mods publicly address an issue would help, as opposed to the "delete post nothing to see here" method that goes on.

One of my favorite forums (golfwrx) handles things in that matter. A very public "nonsense stops" posts, infractions if the behavior (note the topic can continue) continues.

PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    SDI told me, basically, we run the site as we see fit, and if there's anything we're not comfortable dealing with, then we can get their opinion.

Things such as modifying the infraction system, that's where we have to go through them since we don't have the ability to change that.
    If we want to bring users back we can uplift bans and reverse infractions to whatever amount we want, just saying there's other ways around the system. That's depending on what perma'd user we're dealing with. We'd have to pay attention to each account but it could be done manually using User Notes and a list in the Mods forum.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    I'm not sure how it is now, but I know, as a former mod, you can notate peoples accounts. Unban them and clear their note history. Put a note/asterisk on their account basically flagging them. Treat them no differently than you would any other poster but on a little shorter of a leash.

I just think the points adding up to where a poster with a long history here can get banned because of something he/she did years ago. I understand that's not everyone as I think I was banned once or twice and had an infraction rescinded so I'm probably in no fear of being permabanned, but there are plenty of people that came onto this site as jackasses but then stopped being jackasses. It happens.

Unless you spam or just an overall nuisance, there really shouldn't be people that are permabanned.
    That's correct, we do put notes on user's account for references when they have been pm'd, warned, infracted, or banned.

Maybe we can do away with permabans, unless in extreme circumstances, but give posters long bans if they continuously cannot conduct themselves in an acceptable manner.

That's correct, we do put notes on user's account for references when they have been pm'd, warned, infracted, or banned.

Maybe we can do away with permabans, unless in extreme circumstances, but give posters long bans if they continuously cannot conduct themselves in an acceptable manner.
    Is there a functionality to within vbulletin to ban someone from a specific thread or sub-forum? I think a few others have that ability, and it would be nice to kick someone out of a certain thread or forum is they are only an issue in that one area.

PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post

Other than a few mods, I've noticed that most aren't as active anymore once they get mod-ed. Most stop posting as much, and I feel more "active" mods, who try to put and end to a discussion or take part on a deeper level would help. I think some of the better mods take part in discussions, and maybe no take sides but say something like "I think your onto something here".

Another thing, I know that points should be private for the most part, but Mods should more publicly write that someone's behavior has been warned, and anyone who pushes that conversation could be at risk as well. I feel as though more mods publicly address an issue would help, as opposed to the "delete post nothing to see here" method that goes on.

One of my favorite forums (golfwrx) handles things in that matter. A very public "nonsense stops" posts, infractions if the behavior (note the topic can continue) continues.

this post makes sense to me. I am not sure why i have always found that more active mods here were the better mods imo. having a mod the take part in discussion posting that you should knick it off instead of just deleting and infracting make sense to me as well

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Is there a functionality to within vbulletin to ban someone from a specific thread or sub-forum? I think a few others have that ability, and it would be nice to kick someone out of a certain thread or forum is they are only an issue in that one area.
    We do have the ability to ban users from posting in certain forums.

We do have the ability to ban users from posting in certain forums.
    Just a thought to ban someone that is generally a good poster in one forum but trolling another. That way you don't lose them completely.

Like a guy causing problems in NBA main gets a month ban there, but can still discuss basketball in his own teams forum.

PROCESSING

There are a few things that potentially affect moderator "activity" when they become moderators. First, there are some of the back of house things that need to be handled, such as discussion in the reported posts forum and the mod forum, where we throw around ideas or discuss items of importance. Second, sometimes as the moderator, you have to make the GDT's or keep other things organized around your forum(s) that take time away from posting. Third, you aren't just posting anymore, you are reading sometimes more than you are posting.

You do bring up a good point- I notice that GDT's when mods or admins are posting in them tend to stay on track, so the same should go for other threads as well. Again, there is more to being a moderator than just posting and interacting in your own forum.

That's also a very good point about the public warnings, and something we will talk about. We've started a thread in the mod forum asking for them to provide their feedback on things as well (a few have been active in here as well) but Rush and I want opinions from everyone before we formulate a plan, or new rules, or whatever, and take it to SDI.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    There are a few things that potentially affect moderator "activity" when they become moderators. First, there are some of the back of house things that need to be handled, such as discussion in the reported posts forum and the mod forum, where we throw around ideas or discuss items of importance. Second, sometimes as the moderator, you have to make the GDT's or keep other things organized around your forum(s) that take time away from posting. Third, you aren't just posting anymore, you are reading sometimes more than you are posting.

You do bring up a good point- I notice that GDT's when mods or admins are posting in them tend to stay on track, so the same should go for other threads as well. Again, there is more to being a moderator than just posting and interacting in your own forum.

That's also a very good point about the public warnings, and something we will talk about. We've started a thread in the mod forum asking for them to provide their feedback on things as well (a few have been active in here as well) but Rush and I want opinions from everyone before we formulate a plan, or new rules, or whatever, and take it to SDI.
    Thanks for the response. I realize mods got a lot going on, and not expecting super involved mods, but ones that are involve usually help temper arguments.

Maybe leave more to the TMs to lessen the burden on Mods. I'm a TM in two of the more dead forums (NFL Draft and Steelers) but maybe having a TM run some more of the day to day stuff, and the Mods take care of the bigger problems to help free them up a little more would help.

PROCESSING

Also, this is a serious question, not trying to be "holier than thou" but I am completely at a loss for how someone can even be perma-banned from a forum? I've been posting on different forums since 2004, and if you added my post counts from all of those places, I would probably be at Norm and NBA starter level here. I've never received an infraction or been banned. If an infraction is given for trolling, or disruptive behavior, or insults, why can't someone just say "screw it" and either ignore that poster, or just leave the insults out of it? Especially when you get to the point where the ban is two months and a permanent one is coming up.

I'm sure some will say "its the internet" but for me personally, I still don't get it, and I will also admit there are places where the trolling and insults are much worse.

Thanks for the response. I realize mods got a lot going on, and not expecting super involved mods, but ones that are involve usually help temper arguments.

Maybe leave more to the TMs to lessen the burden on Mods. I'm a TM in two of the more dead forums (NFL Draft and Steelers) but maybe having a TM run some more of the day to day stuff, and the Mods take care of the bigger problems to help free them up a little more would help.
    We try to do that as much as possible, but in about half of the instances (I think) we have moderators who do not have TMs. I have encouraged everyone to try and select and develop a TM for their forums for that very reason. I'd love to have more TMs for sure.

Also, this is a serious question, not trying to be "holier than thou" but I am completely at a loss for how someone can even be perma-banned from a forum? I've been posting on different forums since 2004, and if you added my post counts from all of those places, I would probably be at Norm and NBA starter level here. I've never received an infraction or been banned. If an infraction is given for trolling, or disruptive behavior, or insults, why can't someone just say "screw it" and either ignore that poster, or just leave the insults out of it? Especially when you get to the point where the ban is two months and a permanent one is coming up.

I'm sure some will say "its the internet" but for me personally, I still don't get it, and I will also admit there are places where the trolling and insults are much worse.
    Sometimes there are some people that just get the better of you.

For me it's when people say things like "Listen son", or when you back up stats and they reply with "you don't know what I know" or "your stupid for believing stats". Especially when your making a point that, maybe they don't say your right, but they at least acknowledge that you got one on them. No some don't even do that. I've encountered ones that just jump from point to point get you arguing something completely different, then when someone warns you, they claim they won because you were off topic.

It's rare to get that. But it happens.

PROCESSING

Well you're a mod on this site and I'm guessing all those other sites aren't anywhere near as arbitrarily strict on random crap as this site is.

I get infracted a bunch because I don't shy away from arguments with know-it-alls who already strongly dislike me. Lately the main infraction I usually get is "disruptive behavior" which usually just means I'm not letting up in an argument. I don't ever directly insult anyone anymore and still get in trouble all the time simply for not backing down.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast