Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 95
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,512

    2016-17 Regular Season Trade/Roster Discussion

    Figured the thread for the offseason was outdated. To continue the last couple of ideas though:

    Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    Skjei's play in the playoffs last year pretty much guaranteed him a spot and Holden has already proved he can play anywhere in the lineup on D as he was a top pair with Barrie in Colorado (should have been lower but that's where he was). I think they have a trade done for Mcilrarh but are waiting for another team to add someone to LTIR, likely Arizona or Columbus before they can make the deal.
    I could definitely see that as a possibility, having a trade in place that is. I do agree partially about Holden, he looks good, but I'm not sure I'd be ready to consider it more than a small sample size for now. I wouldn't make a move too quickly based on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Wiskers View Post
    With all the hype of Nieves PK ability Grabner should also be available. Maybe a 2 for 1 is in the works. At practice today the 4th line was Pirri--Jooris--Fast and Nash was actually playing on the 3rd line with Hayes and Miller.
    I'd like to see Nieves up for a couple games. May have to wait for an injury though, which could be a good thing. Seems like the roster the way it is now may feel itself out once it deals with an injury or two.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    9,766
    Quote Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
    Figured the thread for the offseason was outdated. To continue the last couple of ideas though:


    I could definitely see that as a possibility, having a trade in place that is. I do agree partially about Holden, he looks good, but I'm not sure I'd be ready to consider it more than a small sample size for now. I wouldn't make a move too quickly based on it.


    I'd like to see Nieves up for a couple games. May have to wait for an injury though, which could be a good thing. Seems like the roster the way it is now may feel itself out once it deals with an injury or two.
    McIlrath will get a good chance to prove his case tonight, I hope he is ready for it as it would be nice to have a useful dman of his size in house.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,512
    I thought Wrath did a lateral job last night, in terms of keeping his job. He had a couple unfortunate plays go his way (the penalty after Hertl dropped his gloves and there was an icing that kept them pinned in the D zone). I thought he made the right play but it was unfortunate that the forward changed instead of looking to help make a play.

    Holden, after slight praise yesterday, looked a bit shaky. Nothing too much to worry about but still noticable. Skjei looked alright.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    9,766
    McIlrath seemed to be doing fine until he made the bone head move of fighting Hertl for no real good reason.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,770
    Doesn't make a difference AV was gonna find a reason to bench him. It's easy to preach walk away when you are not the one getting run over. What AV fails to remember is THERE IS FIGHTING IN HOCKEY---IT'S ALLOWED. And teams will continue to slam our players against the wall, run over our goalie and push our star players around because they know there will be no repercussions.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    9,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Wiskers View Post
    Doesn't make a difference AV was gonna find a reason to bench him. It's easy to preach walk away when you are not the one getting run over. What AV fails to remember is THERE IS FIGHTING IN HOCKEY---IT'S ALLOWED. And teams will continue to slam our players against the wall, run over our goalie and push our star players around because they know there will be no repercussions.
    Nobody got run over that's the problem. It was a nothing play. He made it into something and took a penalty. You have to pick your spots better or the coach can't trust to put you on the ice. At that point in the game against the Stanley Cup finalists you were playing with fire taking penalties. I had no problem with him attacking Gudas, I would have liked if someone had of done sometjng after the other hit on Vesey as well, it's not the fighting I have a problem with its the timing of it and whether the coach can trust that you can keep your cool at key moments in the game. This moment was nothing and it's not the first time he's done this. It's the same reason Carcillo wasn't resigned after having some good moments in playoffs for us, because AV couldn't trust he wasn't going to do something dumb at a critical point in the game.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,770
    We were up 3-1 at that point and Hertl already receive a pentalty for interference earlier. They were on top of Raanta and we didn't even try to clear the crease, in fact one of their goals they had a guy in the crease--it wasn't challenged because AV monitor wasn't working. When you're up, especially 3-1 that's the time to send a message--to all of the league that we're not gonna allow it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    9,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Wiskers View Post
    We were up 3-1 at that point and Hertl already receive a pentalty for interference earlier. They were on top of Raanta and we didn't even try to clear the crease, in fact one of their goals they had a guy in the crease--it wasn't challenged because AV monitor wasn't working. When you're up, especially 3-1 that's the time to send a message--to all of the league that we're not gonna allow it.
    I don't even think Hertl touched him really. McIlrath has to be smarter, he could have sent a message at the end of the game just as easy as it is to take a penalty in a close game. I understand your argument but if he wants to play on a winning team he has to pick his spots better especially when the coach has pointed this out to him before. It's a balancing act he has to figure out.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Garden City, NY
    Posts
    1,811
    Rangers place Dylan McIlrath on waivers after failing to trade him:

    http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/10/27/...th-on-waivers/

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    9,766
    I am surprised they couldn't find a trade for McIlrath, I almost hope he gets claimed for his benefit so he can move on with his career. He will play somewhere and he should, if he isnt being played here he should be given to chance somewhere else

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    9,766
    29 teams pass on McIlrath....is there something that we don't now about him? Granted I don't think he played that well this preseason but I figured someone would take a guy his size and draft status in an entry deal

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,770
    1. Dougie Hamilton to be traded again?

    Back in the summer of 2015, the Calgary Flames traded for Boston Bruins defenseman Dougie Hamilton. Many believed they got a good deal for him. Immediately after trading for him, the Flames signed him to a six-year deal worth $34.5 million. A little over a year later, Calgary is already getting calls gauging interest in Hamilton. While the Flames didnít express interest in trading the young defenseman, is this something they might revisit in the future?

    Calgary got off to a slow start, but they have rebounded nicely. As they say, winning cures everything. However, the opposite is also true Ė losing cures nothing. If the Flames go on another losing streak and find themselves out of contention, Hamilton might become a scape goat.

    Since being traded to Calgary, he hasnít gotten the playing time many believed he would get. After averaging 19:46 of ice time in 2015-16, Hamilton is averaging just 19:06 of ice time so far this season. If the Flames are interested in trading him, they will have multiple suitors.

    The New York Rangers might be interested in him, as they are actively looking for a top four defenseman. Hamilton is right-handed, so naturally the Edmonton Oilers would likely express interest. Itís worth noting Oilers general manager Peter Chiarelli is familiar with him. A number of other teams would be interested, but Hamilton makes the most sense for the Rangers and Oilers.

    -----------------
    Also saw that we were among 5 teams scouting the Toronto/Florida game. Neither of which we play anytime soon.
    Last edited by Mr.Wiskers; 10-29-2016 at 09:27 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    363
    Either Girardi or Staal would need to go the other way in any trade for a defenseman because we canít afford to protect any less than 7 forwards in the expansion draft.

    My target would be Justin Faulk from Carolina. 24 year old, top pair, right-handed defenseman with three more years left on his contract after this one at under 5 million per. The Hurricanes are also a team that doesnít need to protect too many defenseman, so I think Staal is an option for them. This is just me speculating though, nothing Iíve actually heard.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    9,766
    Quote Originally Posted by beast023 View Post
    Either Girardi or Staal would need to go the other way in any trade for a defenseman because we canít afford to protect any less than 7 forwards in the expansion draft.

    My target would be Justin Faulk from Carolina. 24 year old, top pair, right-handed defenseman with three more years left on his contract after this one at under 5 million per. The Hurricanes are also a team that doesnít need to protect too many defenseman, so I think Staal is an option for them. This is just me speculating though, nothing Iíve actually heard.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Justin Faulk isn't going anywhere unless we overpay for him. He's he cornerstone of their d going forward.
    I really think if we are moving Staal or Girardi we will be losing the trade, moves Ike that under this type of cap system don't happen much anymore. If you are moving one of hose guys you will have our add something to it to cover their salary hit and age.
    Last edited by bsi; 10-31-2016 at 04:21 PM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,770
    Once the trade deadline comes around we'll see teams looking to get over the hump make deals for vets that will help their playoff run.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •