Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 NFL Draft

I'll have to pass on that Doc. I want McCaffrey pretty badly. He can help in the run game, pass game, and Special Teams.

As for Bolles, I'm not a big fan of the pick because he's got huge bust potential. His body was much more developed than the guys he was playing against, and not sure his talent will transfer to the NFL where he doesn't consistently have a size advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    I'll have to pass on that Doc. I want McCaffrey pretty badly. He can help in the run game, pass game, and Special Teams.
    why burn a first on mccaffrey, a scat back who is not and never will be a bellcow, with a first round pick, when you can nab curtis samuel or alvin kamara a round or 2 later and they will do the exact same thing at a fraction of the (draft capital) cost. McCaffrey has so much usage already on his barely 200lbs body and is going to be needing touches schemed to him. Only backs that are worth first rounders are bell cows. Recent small twitch RB/WR/KR/PR/OW types all have failed to live up to their selections

Reggie Bush? How many teams does it take to figure out how to use a scatback? he is done now. Wasted pick.
    Tavon Austin? 8 overall and monumental bust. Again, too small to carry the ball consistently and hard to scheme open that guy. It isn't college so harder to get those small guys in space
    Percy Harvin? Same thing, and now we are talking injuries due to small frame.
    Dexter McCluster? Been hoping around the league, again haven't been able to live up to his draft slot.

These types of players do not project well to the next level and with the 5th year option on the first rounders with the new CBA, guys like McCaffrey are not worth round 1 selections. Only way you want to break away from core draft positions: QB, CB, Pass Rusher, OT, is if the guy projects as a top 5-10 player at his position. OJ Howard does project as a top 5 TE. Reuben Foster projects as a top 5 ILB. Jamal Adams (SS) and Malik Hooker (FS) both project top 5 S. Leonard Fournette could be a top 5 back. Other than those guys... I don't see the value and talent matching up for pick 20. If we trade down to like 30 or something... i can swallow but just too many examples of the type of player mccaffrey is not being worth the value of a first round pick.
    Last edited by Dr Cyanide 28; 02-09-2017 at 06:49 PM.
    Broncos' Christmas Wishlist: Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold

#GoHawkeyes #FightForIowa #ANF

As for Bolles, I'm not a big fan of the pick because he's got huge bust potential. His body was much more developed than the guys he was playing against, and not sure his talent will transfer to the NFL where he doesn't consistently have a size advantage.
    I have cooled on Bolles due to his age. Not as worried because he is oline and those guys do have longer careers, but right now he is my number 3 OT (behind robinson and ramczyk)

Big Boards are like the constitution... a living breathing document subject to change and modifications haha

Guys I would take before McCaffrey (in no order)

1. Myles Garrett
    2. Solomon Thomas
    3. Malik McDowell
    4. Reuben Foster
    5. Jon Allen
    6. OJ Howard
    7. Ryan Ramczyk
    8. Cam Robinson
    9. Marshon Lattimore
    10. Teez Tabor
    11. Sidney Jones
    12. Jamal Adams
    13. Malik Hooker
    14. Dalvin Cook
    15. Leonard Fournette
    16. Corey Davis
    17. Tim Williams (depends on the drugs tho...)
    18. Takk McKinley
    19. Zach Cunningham
    20. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Cyanide 28 View Post
    why burn a first on mccaffrey, a scat back who is not and never will be a bellcow, with a first round pick, when you can nab curtis samuel or alvin kamara a round or 2 later and they will do the exact same thing at a fraction of the (draft capital) cost. McCaffrey has so much usage already on his barely 200lbs body and is going to be needing touches schemed to him. Only backs that are worth first rounders are bell cows. Recent small twitch RB/WR/KR/PR/OW types all have failed to live up to their selections

Reggie Bush? How many teams does it take to figure out how to use a scatback? he is done now. Wasted pick.
    Tavon Austin? 8 overall and monumental bust. Again, too small to carry the ball consistently and hard to scheme open that guy. It isn't college so harder to get those small guys in space
    Percy Harvin? Same thing, and now we are talking injuries due to small frame.
    Dexter McCluster? Been hoping around the league, again haven't been able to live up to his draft slot.

These types of players do not project well to the next level and with the 5th year option on the first rounders with the new CBA, guys like McCaffrey are not worth round 1 selections. Only way you want to break away from core draft positions: QB, CB, Pass Rusher, OT, is if the guy projects as a top 5-10 player at his position. OJ Howard does project as a top 5 TE. Reuben Foster projects as a top 5 ILB. Jamal Adams (SS) and Malik Hooker (FS) both project top 5 S. Leonard Fournette could be a top 5 back. Other than those guys... I don't see the value and talent matching up for pick 20. If we trade down to like 30 or something... i can swallow but just too many examples of the type of player mccaffrey is not being worth the value of a first round pick.
    That's the problem. He isn't, and shouldn't be used purely as a scat back. He should also be in the slot. I don't think Reggie Bush was a wasted pick. Surely he shouldn't have gone as high as he did, but if he was the 20th pick, I think his career would be looked at a bit differently. I also don't think Austin is a wasted pick. He just doesn't have a QB.

I truly doubt Howard will be there at pick 20. I don't think he'll be there anywhere close to pick 20.

That's the problem. He isn't, and shouldn't be used purely as a scat back. He should also be in the slot. I don't think Reggie Bush was a wasted pick. Surely he shouldn't have gone as high as he did, but if he was the 20th pick, I think his career would be looked at a bit differently. I also don't think Austin is a wasted pick. He just doesn't have a QB.

I truly doubt Howard will be there at pick 20. I don't think he'll be there anywhere close to pick 20.
    Hard to say this far out. He may be, he may not be. But there are other guys as well.

I just dislike going so early on a position like that. Too many examples of a guy like that just not being worth his draft slot. Have you watched any Curtis Samuel or Alvin Kamara? I would just grab one of them a round or two later if you like that kind of guy. I think McCaffrey is a guy I would take if we traded back or if he fell and we traded up round 1. Just other guys I like more at better value imo. Esp with a bunch of good slot wr types and rbs in the class as well.

I've been on the McCaffrey train for 2 years now and I can't get off now. I think he could be a similar player to Devonta Freeman, but less fragile. Won't get an Elliott workload, but still gets around 20-25 times between rushing/receiving and has a noticeable influence on the game. A great guy to combo CJ with. The threat as a returner is just a bonus. He has the potential to make a significant impact from the start, which lord knows our offense and special teams could use it. I can't see him bombing the combine, quite the opposite, which makes me fear he won't be there at 20.

Great discussion about scat backs. It makes sense to me to *try* to find a guy like that later on and picking a guy like that early seems to be a very big gamble.
    Obviously they are out there later on because:
    Tyreek Hill = 5th round
    Darren Sproles = 4th round

It also is obvious that a 1st rounder must be a true impact player (no more Jarvis Moss guys!).
    It seems to me that we are really close to being very good again, maybe even elite. 2 or 3 truly stud/impact players at OL and DT (and maybe ILB who can cover too) could make all the difference.
    I am assuming (hoping) we will get at least 1 stud in FA (i.e. Calais Campbell or someone of that caliber).
    Aren't we required to spend a high percentage of the salary cap?
    Won't that force us to spend a lot (although Elway always does anyway)?

What I don't understand is all the love for OJ Howard. Yes, he is awesome, but with all the TE's we have, have recently drafted, and trading a 5th rounder for AJ Derby just months ago, I can't see Elway going in that direction. Elway seems more likely to live with his decisions and give them time to thrive or bust.....but it seems like he will certainly go in a direction other than TE.

Quote Originally Posted by dbronco View Post
    Great discussion about scat backs. It makes sense to me to *try* to find a guy like that later on and picking a guy like that early seems to be a very big gamble.
    Obviously they are out there later on because:
    Tyreek Hill = 5th round
    Darren Sproles = 4th round

It also is obvious that a 1st rounder must be a true impact player (no more Jarvis Moss guys!).
    It seems to me that we are really close to being very good again, maybe even elite. 2 or 3 truly stud/impact players at OL and DT (and maybe ILB who can cover too) could make all the difference.
    I am assuming (hoping) we will get at least 1 stud in FA (i.e. Calais Campbell or someone of that caliber).
    Aren't we required to spend a high percentage of the salary cap?
    Won't that force us to spend a lot (although Elway always does anyway)?

What I don't understand is all the love for OJ Howard. Yes, he is awesome, but with all the TE's we have, have recently drafted, and trading a 5th rounder for AJ Derby just months ago, I can't see Elway going in that direction. Elway seems more likely to live with his decisions and give them time to thrive or bust.....but it seems like he will certainly go in a direction other than TE.
    Tyreek Hill was only there because he's a piece of **** human being. I'd never want Denver to draft a scumbag who beat the hell out of his pregnant girlfriend, threw her across the room and broke her jaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudvayne91 View Post
    I've been on the McCaffrey train for 2 years now and I can't get off now. I think he could be a similar player to Devonta Freeman, but less fragile. Won't get an Elliott workload, but still gets around 20-25 times between rushing/receiving and has a noticeable influence on the game. A great guy to combo CJ with. The threat as a returner is just a bonus. He has the potential to make a significant impact from the start, which lord knows our offense and special teams could use it. I can't see him bombing the combine, quite the opposite, which makes me fear he won't be there at 20.
    That's the way I feel. Anderson can't be a bell cow back. He's too fragile. I still have faith in Booker, but McCaffrey is so versatile that it wouldn't have a huge impact on Booker. People get caught up with the fact that he's a running back. That's not all he is though. Our slot receiver woes? He can fix that. As a matter of fact some scouts think he'll transition to the NFL best as a slot receiver. Our awful punt returning? He can fix that. He's a player that can actually help with the running game, passing game, and special teams.

I'm not lobbying for us to draft him, but I wouldn't be upset if we drafted him either.

I wonder if I'll be able to figure out who Denver is drafting before the draft starts this year. I'm pretty sure that by this point last year, I was already clamoring for Denver to draft Lynch lol. Still love the outlook for Lynch, and I'm still confident he'll be a franchise QB for us. This year our needs aren't as clear though. We could go a lot of directions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Cyanide 28 View Post
    I just dislike going so early on a position like that. Too many examples of a guy like that just not being worth his draft slot. Have you watched any Curtis Samuel or Alvin Kamara? I would just grab one of them a round or two later if you like that kind of guy. I think McCaffrey is a guy I would take if we traded back or if he fell and we traded up round 1. Just other guys I like more at better value imo. Esp with a bunch of good slot wr types and rbs in the class as well.
    To be honest I haven't watched much of that position. It's not a high need, so haven't really focused on it. I'm a big fan of taking BPA though so if McCaffrey is BPA, by all means grab him IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudvayne91 View Post
    NOoooooOOoOOooOOOOOooOOOOOOoooo don't do this to me mud! lol

Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast