Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 125 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,875 of 1913
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    It's a little soon to change one's mind...even the moosh. Then again, maybe he was reverse mooshing Montero.
    Fans jump to conclusions too quickly. As of now, Montero is a better prospect than Ynoa and has more upside.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

I think both are non prospects... the difference is that Montero has more experience which probably played a factor, as neither would probably still be on the team come around July so why not keep the one who has more experience and can be called upon immediately if there's a crucial circumstance.

I bet gilmartin was higher on their list of emergency guys than both of them
    Last edited by kyubi256; 02-28-2017 at 05:02 PM.

2016-2017 New York Mets Offseason Thread vol. I

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Fans jump to conclusions too quickly. As of now, Montero is a better prospect than Ynoa and has more upside.
    I think that is what you are doing now with Montero based off one good spring outing in February.

As of two years ago, Montero was a better prospect. Ynoa throws harder, is younger, and has better control now.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    I think that is what you are doing now with Montero based off one good spring outing in February.

As of two years ago, Montero was a better prospect. Ynoa throws harder, is younger, and has better control now.
    Actually I'm not, Montero had a shoulder injury last year. Even before his outing I liked him better.
    Ynoa is a spot starter. Montero could be a useful piece on this team.

Scouting reports on both pitchers

Montero's
    Fastball Slider Changeup Command Future Value
    55 / 60 50 / 50+ 50 / 50+ 50 / 55 50

Ynoa's
    50 / 55 40 / 45+ 40 / 50 50 / 55 40

I'll take my chances on Montero.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Actually I'm not, Montero had a shoulder injury last year. Even before his outing I liked him better.
    Ynoa is a spot starter. Montero could be a useful piece on this team.

Scouting reports on both pitchers

Montero's
    55 / 60 50 / 50+ 50 / 50+ 50 / 55 50

Ynoa's
    50 / 55 40 / 45+ 40 / 50 50 / 55 40

I'll take my chances on Montero.
    Those scouting reports are not updated.

Ynoa throws harder and has sink on his fastball when he wants.

He also missed a ton of bats with his slider as well.

Those scouting reports are not updated.

Ynoa throws harder and has sink on his fastball when he wants.

He also missed a ton of bats with his slider as well.
    I definitely remember being more excited about Monteros debut that Ynoas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by n8ghee View Post
    I definitely remember being more excited about Monteros debut that Ynoas.

Using that logic, Montero is better than deGrom then. Not many people were excited about deGrom at all.

I'm not saying that Ynoa was a better prospect than Montero when they came up, but I think he's a better pitcher now and in the future.

Montero's "stuff" was never that great and so far it hasn't projected to big league success.

Using that logic, Montero is better than deGrom then. Not many people were excited about deGrom at all.

I'm not saying that Ynoa was a better prospect than Montero when they came up, but I think he's a better pitcher now and in the future.

Montero's "stuff" was never that great and so far it hasn't projected to big league success.
    Yea I'm not claiming either one is better than the other. Just that I remember being more excited about Monteros debut.

The interesting thing is that he has a MLB career 9.2 K/9 rate and a 22.5% K rate. This is in about 73 innings in the big leagues. Strikeouts haven't been the issue. Control has been the issue. He is walking way too many batters.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    The interesting thing is that he has a MLB career 9.2 K/9 rate and a 22.5% K rate. This is in about 73 innings in the big leagues. Strikeouts haven't been the issue. Control has been the issue. He is walking way too many batters.
    The home run ball has hurt him too. It's a very SSS but that's the problem with a guy like Montero. He doesn't have that super dominant stuff to afford laboring through innings. Elevated pitch counts and walks come from having a hard time putting away hitters. Better command and control would certainly help but his value may come more from being a solid reliever/swingman if needed.

Montero was impressive in the South Atlantic League the way that Nelson Figeroa was impressive in the SAL.

I think I had an argument here about what his FB sat at after a game in Savh. He was really never impressive - but had potential to be serviceable if he kept the BBs low.

Never saw more than that from Ynoa either.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 03-02-2017 at 06:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    The home run ball has hurt him too. It's a very SSS but that's the problem with a guy like Montero. He doesn't have that super dominant stuff to afford laboring through innings. Elevated pitch counts and walks come from having a hard time putting away hitters. Better command and control would certainly help but his value may come more from being a solid reliever/swingman if needed.
    I think the reason he gave up the homers was because he was always behind in the count. Plenty of pitchers have had success with similar stuff. Hell, Bartolo Colon only throws fastballs and he still gets the job done. It's because he throws strikes and gets ahead of the count.
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

"There’ve been varying reports about the connection Mets’ talks for Tigers right fielder J.D. Martinez this winter, the most recent of which suggested that the Mets “seriously discussed” parting with Michael Conforto to acquire Martinez. MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo, however, was told “emphatically” that the notion was not seriously discussed whatsoever (Twitter links). DiComo notes that New York did indeed touch base with the Tigers and discuss Martinez prior to re-signing Yoenis Cespedes, but the Mets “balked completely” once Conforto’s name was brought up by the Tigers." - MLBTR

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...ns-rivero.html
    World Championships

New York Mets: 1969, 1986
    Miracle Mets

New York Jets: 1968
    Super Bowl III

Brooklyn Nets: 1974, 1976
    Dr. J (ABA)

New York Islanders: 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983
    Potvin's Cups

2016-2017 New York Mets Offseason Thread vol. I

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Montero was impressive in the South Atlantic League the way that Nelson Figeroa was impressive in the SAL.

I think I had an argument here about what his FB sat at after a game in Savh. He was really never impressive - but had potential to be serviceable if he kept the BBs low.

Never saw more than that from Ynoa either.
    Yeah but when you saw Ynoa, he was only 20. Montero was 21 turning 22 in October.

Since then, Ynoa has filled out more and his fastball velocity has increased substantially.

Montero has been a nibbler, always trying to pitch too fine. Some of those pitches might have been called strikes in the minors, but in the big leagues that usually doesn't fly.

It's all about throwing strikes. I disagree with notion that Montero's stuff isn't good enough. His command isn't good enough. That's what is causing all of his issues. Constantly getting behind in the count, wasting pitches, and walking guys. His stuff will play in the big leagues, but he has to throw strikes and get ahead of the count.
    Marmolololololol