Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 128 1231151101 ... LastLast

2016-2017 New York Mets Offseason Thread vol. I

I see we already have a few threads on different offseason topics so let's get this started early.

What would your plan be for this offseason? What needs to be done to overtake the Nats?

LGM!

Retain Colon. He has been incredible and the only durable starter with no concerns all season about whether he's able to pitch.

Spend some money!

Keep Cespedes and make a valid attempt at signing Chapman. Familia and Reed being the bridge to our first elite "slam the door" closer in a looong time would give us one of the top bullpens to go along with our great starting pitching.

Trade Granderson and Duda. They both have value but our lineup is too left handed and vulnerable against LHP. They both also dissappear for long stretches throughout the season.

Consider moving Conforto or Bruce to 1B and add a righty hitting 1B.

Give Nimmo a shot in CF and platoon with Lagares.

Keep Reyes as our 3B and leadoff hitter. Acquire another guy who can play 3B and treat this off-season as if Wright does not exist. Can't make the same mistake as last year with that position.

Offer Walker the QO. If he declines, see if Cecchini is ready, but also gotta make sure u get a viable RHB for 3B so you have the flexibility of moving Reyes to 2B. I like Danny Valencia.

If we wanna get crazy and spend, sign Encarnacion and Chapman, trade Granderson and Duda and either don't pick up the option on Bruce or trade him too to free up money to spend on these guys.
    Last edited by bklynny67; 10-09-2016 at 09:29 AM.

I like bringing back Walker. We lost Murphy, but may have found another one. That and Ces should be our top priorities.

Hire physical therapists, yoga instructors, witch doctors, etc. to help keep our team especially the young pitchers healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    I like bringing back Walker. We lost Murphy, but may have found another one. That and Ces should be our top priorities.
    Agreed - bringing those 2 back has to be the priority of the offseason.

After that, I'd definitely look to change (hopefully improve) the composition of the lineup by trading 2 of the 3 between Granderson, Bruce and Duda.

I would also trade either Matz or Wheeler if I was able to get back a young, under control, starting position player with a solid bat.

Don't worry. He's got this.

We have plenty of starting pitching so it'll be interesting to see how our rotation unfolds.

Thor, deGrom, Colon, Harvey, Matz, Wheeler, Gsellman, and Lugo. 8 good starting pitchers, I'd honestly be surprised if one or two of those guys arent traded.
    Syndergaard is untouchable, deGrom isn't going anywhere, Matz and Colon stay.
    I think Harvey, Wheeler, Gsellman, and Lugo should be made available. & If I had to pick two of those guys to trade I'd say Harvey and Lugo.

Bring Back Cespedes and Colon

Pick up the team option on Bruce and trade him

Give Walker the QO and hope he accepts it

Get more RH, especially off the bench.

Find a starting catcher and or re-tool D'Arnaud's swing entirely.

Release Eric Campbell

Find another dominant late inning reliever

The team doesn't need a ton of tweaking.

Oh and have an extra contingency plan in place when Wright gets hurt. I dont care if that means more production from other positions (aka retaining Walker) but lets hope the organization doesn't delude themselves into believing he'll be our starting 3rd baseman for any extended period of time next year. Sure, they'll pick up Reye's option but that's not enough imo.

Hopefully David learns first base and becomes a decent platoon for Duda there. That's the best case scenario for David Wright imo.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-09-2016 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Oh and have an extra contingency plan in place when Wright gets hurt. I dont care if that means more production from other positions (aka retaining Walker) but lets hope the organization doesn't delude themselves into believing he'll be our starting 3rd baseman for any extended period of time next year. Sure, they'll pick up Reye's option but that's not enough imo.

Hopefully David learns first base and becomes a decent platoon for Duda there. That's the best case scenario for David Wright imo.
    Agree on Wright. I think he should platoon with Duda at first. He can't throw the ball across the diamond anymore. When he gets hurt, you just make Duda the stater again full time.

If Walker returns, that gives us both Rivera and Flores as guaranteed infield depth. And I would try hard to bring back Kelly Johnson. The Mets would then have multiple guys to turn to if injuries happen. No more Campbell, Ty Kelly, etc.

I believe in Conforto. He is a natural hitter - his rookie season was not a fluke. The league made an adjustment to him, and he looked good after his September call up. I would try to deal Bruce for some bullpen help.

I'd be open to the idea of trading Duda for the right price. If they can get a RH first baseman back who plays better defense for the right package, I'd consider that.

Is there any chance we bring Reed back?

Here's a complete list of the Mets Free Agents

LF Yoenis Cespedes
    2B Neil Walker
    SP Bartolo Colon
    1B James Loney
    RP Fernando Salas
    C Rene Rivera
    RP Jerry Blevins
    LF Alejandro De Aza
    INF Kelly Johnson
    OF Roger Bernadina
    World Championships

New York Mets: 1969, 1986
    Miracle Mets

New York Jets: 1968
    Super Bowl III

Brooklyn Nets: 1974, 1976
    Dr. J (ABA)

New York Islanders: 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983
    Potvin's Cups

2016-2017 New York Mets Offseason Thread vol. I

I would try to keep Yo, Neil, Bart, Salas, Blevins, and Kelly Johnson.

Maybe Rene depending on what happens with TDA/Plawecki
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

C: Brian McCann / Travis d'Arnaud
    1B: Mark Trumbo / Lucas Duda
    2B: Neil Walker / TJ Rivera
    3B: Jose Reyes / *David Wright*
    SS: Asdrubal Cabrera / Matt Reynolds
    LF: Yoenis Cespedes / Michael Conforto
    CF: Curtis Granderson / Juan Lagares
    RF: Jay Bruce / Brandon Nimmo

SP: Noah Syndergaard, Bartolo Colon, Steven Matz, Jacob Degrom, Matt Harvey, Seth Lugo, Robert Gsellman,
    *Zack Wheeler*

RP: Kenley Jansen, Addison Reed, Jeurys Familia, Fernando Salas, Jerry Blevins, Hansel Robles
    World Championships

Miracle Mets

Super Bowl III

Dr. J (ABA)

Potvin's Cups

Quote Originally Posted by JRollins Hater View Post
    Agree on Wright. I think he should platoon with Duda at first. He can't throw the ball across the diamond anymore. When he gets hurt, you just make Duda the stater again full time.

If Walker returns, that gives us both Rivera and Flores as guaranteed infield depth. And I would try hard to bring back Kelly Johnson. The Mets would then have multiple guys to turn to if injuries happen. No more Campbell, Ty Kelly, etc.

I believe in Conforto. He is a natural hitter - his rookie season was not a fluke. The league made an adjustment to him, and he looked good after his September call up. I would try to deal Bruce for some bullpen help.

I'd be open to the idea of trading Duda for the right price. If they can get a RH first baseman back who plays better defense for the right package, I'd consider that.

Is there any chance we bring Reed back?
    No reason to believe the Mets will let Reed leave through arbitration. They may have an initial monetary dispute but I would have to believe it's settled before spring training. I didn't realize Johnson and Blevins were FA so I would make sure those guys are brought back as well.

I can live with the catcher's spot not getting a ton of offense but they need to be a bit more RH, clear up the bench of guys like Campbell and Kelly, and obviously bring back guys like Cespedes and Colon. I dont love Colon but we saw enough guys go down this year that its important he is back even with guys like Lugo and Gsellman having given them valuable innings this year.

I'm not the only Mets fan who thinks this, Tim Teufel is awful as a third base coach.

Who know who is available and would make a fine coaching addition? Robin Ventura.
    World Championships

Miracle Mets

Super Bowl III

Dr. J (ABA)

Potvin's Cups

Quote Originally Posted by MJNetsIsles View Post
    I'm not the only Mets fan who thinks this, Tim Teufel is awful as a third base coach.

Who know who is available and would make a fine coaching addition? Robin Ventura.
    I have no idea about Robin Ventura, but I sure would fire the hell out of Tim Teufel.

Page 1 of 128 1231151101 ... LastLast