Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

2017 Draft Prospects

Never too early to start talking about draft prospects. I'm not sure if there is already a thread for this but if there isn't, ill get it started.

3 guys from Clemson continue to catch my eye.

Wayne Gallman*, RB, Clemson
    Height: 6-1. Weight: 205.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.54.
    Projected Round (2017): 2-3.
    10/8/16: In 2016, Gallman has averaged 4.6 yards per carry for 366 yards with four touchdowns. He's added seven receptions for 55 yards as well.

9/3/16: Gallman was the workhorse of the Clemson offense in 2015, averaging 5.4 yards per carry for 1,527 yards with 13 touchdowns. He also caught 21 passes for 213 yards with a score. Gallman is a quick runner who could stand to add some weight for the next level.

Gallman has impressive feet with the ability to be elusive in the open field. He has tremendous lateral quickness to dodge tacklers and a burst to accelerate running North-South. Gallman also has some power to him to pound the ball for some tough yards and finish off runs. It would be good to see Gallman improve his knee bend and pad level. He is a taller back, and as a result, he can run a little upright at times. That can lead to issues with injuries and ball security.

Jordan Leggett, TE, Clemson
    Height: 6-5. Weight: 250.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.73.
    Projected Round (2017): 2-3.
    10/8/16: Leggett has eight receptions for 110 yards with two scores on the year.

7/30/16: Leggett was a good contributor for the Tigers' point-machine offense in 2015. He totaled 40 receptions for 525 yards and eight touchdowns. It was a breakout year for the junior as he didn't produce close to that as a sophomore (14-161-1) or freshman (12-176-2). Leggett also chipped in as a blocker. He has the capacity to rise as a senior.

Mike Williams, WR, Clemson
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 205.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.48.
    Projected Round (2017): 1-2.
    10/8/16: Williams has played really well for Clemson. In 2016, he has 25 receptions for 373 yards and two touchdowns. Williams has been open for other big plays, but Deshaun Watson has had struggles with his accuracy and ball placement for some missed opportunities.

7/30/16: If Williams hadn't gotten hurt in the 2015 season opener, he could have been the top wide receiver prospect for the 2016 NFL Draft. Williams ran into the goal post against Wofford after making a leaping touchdown reception and had to be carted off the field. He suffered a small fracture in his neck, but didn't need surgery after wearing a brace. Clemson said the injury is not career threatening, and Williams is expected to play to start the 2016 season.

With Sammy Watkins in the NFL, Williams took over as Clemson's lead receiver in 2014 and caught 57 passes for 1,030 yards and six touchdowns. He made 20 catches for 316 yards and three scores as a freshman in 2013.

Williams has a nice combination of size and speed. He is able to stretch the field vertically and make tough contested catches.

Gallman and Leggett would most likely be 2-3 round guys and Williams might even be the first WR picked so it might be tough to get him.

Many other RBs out there of course. I think they should draft one decently high. Starks' days should be done and Lacy more and more is turning into the short yardage power back instead of a guy who can break the long run, which is what the Packers need to start looking for.

Perine from Oklahoma
    Chubb from Georgia
    Hurd from Tennessee

Are some other nice prospects. Also like Linwood from Baylor. Pure work horse with tons of toughness. Last week vs Iowa state they were down big but kept feeding him and he was putting on a clinic while they came back and won.

Howard from Bama and Engram from Ole Miss as the other two stretch the field TEs. Definitely two guys to keep an eye on. Howard still being underused by Bama which is a huge blessing in disguise for a team drafting late in the first like the Packers most likely will be. Because he is super talented but without the absurd numbers and exposure, he won't be favored to go top 15.

Similar to Howard, is WR Malachi Dupre from LSU. Poor QB play his whole career at LSU and a big run offense has left Dupre out of the spotlight. But he is tall and rangy with nice hands. So a team may be able to swoop in and grab a would be top 15 draft pick if not for circumstances out of their control.
    Juju Smith Schuster from USC is a great prospect as well. He's filthy. Not much else to it. Kid is a star in the making. I think it is time for the Packers to find a true STAR wr next to and in place of Jordy.
    Last edited by Sdh09e44; 10-07-2016 at 08:58 PM.

even though its a bit early here are a couple of guys I would be interested in

Jake Butts TE Michigan
    Desmond King CB Iowa
    Josey Jewell LB Iowa
    OJ Howard TE Alabama
    Cameron Sutton CB Tennessee

RIP Gene Wilder

as much as i like a big name at ILB i believe we will continue to use the JAG method in Green Bay. just a guy. with 7 WR's on the roster i don't believe it's a position of need at all. TE i do believe is a position of need. another position will be RB. what will happen is another draft heavy at D line and outside linebacker. a swing at O line will occur as well as corner.

I feel the same way about wr in this coming draft as I did last war. We don't need to take one, but if one we love falls in the first, then you have to seriously consider it.

I think Adams will continue to improve and become more consistent (both Jordy and James jones were plagued with similar drop issues their first few seasons) and could develop into a good wr. But the rest are 3rd or 4th receivers. If we have a chance at a true number 1, game breaking type talent, our wr core could use it.

But I agree on the other positions. A legit tight end would be awesome. As much as I'm not as ready to write off the CB group as others, we probably need to add some talent in the draft at that spot. I'd be good with signing lacy to a one year deal this offseason and drafting a running back in the early mid rounds. Our olb group could be futted in the upcoming free agency, so that's a spot to consider as well.

WR may or may not be a need. I think that depends what happens this year with Adams. But yea, not necessarily a huge need as of now. Even though I do think a nice new weapon would significantly help this team. There will not be a day during the Rodgers era where I won't wonder what would happen if he had an Aj Green/Deandre Hopkins type of WR. (Hopkins drafted one pick after us at 27 in 2013, so it's possible)

I just look at the Adams offensive PI call in the third quarter of the week 2 game @ Minnesota. What he did was completely unnecessary and he should've just jumped up and made a play on the ball to bail Rodgers out and make a huge play. Its just what you need from a WR who has played 70% of the snaps.

There's zero reason not to take a RB in the first 4 rounds or so, IMO. It's gonna be insanely deep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Having 4 All Pros on offense=fairy tale.
    Having a look in your eye=key to NFL success.

a RB for GB in round 1 will NOT happen. a TE most likely not going to happen either.

Quote Originally Posted by alabastertubby View Post
    a RB for GB in round 1 will NOT happen. a TE most likely not going to happen either.
    I didn't mean R1.......lol

Ted's not taking a RB that early, probably ever.

I guess I should have been clear and said late 2-r4 we should take one.

I don't think we'll take a TE early either but who knows.

I absolutely love Adoree Jackson but he will long gone. I would really love a big WR who can go up and get a deep pass like Courtland Sutton from SMU, but I don't know much about him outside of the stats. Others I like at this point include Desmond King, Jake Butt (2nd), Bucky Hodges (3rd), DeMarcus Walker, Tanoh Kpassagnon (2nd), Anthony Walker (3rd), Hardy Nickerson (4th-5th), Cordrea Tankersley, Chidobe Awuzie (3rd), and eventually some linemen.

I agree on getting a RB in the 2nd-4th round depending on the value and how the running styles work with our blocking schemes. Starks has looked pretty bad this year and I wouldn't mind getting 2 backs if the one is a really good pass catcher.

I don't really like putting Montgomery in the backfield, Cobb is ok because of his speed and mismatch ability but means more as a wide out. Ty isn't really creating a mismatch speed-wise vs. a LB and hasn't shown much as a ball carrier, just find a electric 3rd down back.
    Last edited by jay87shot; 10-10-2016 at 12:28 PM.

In Ty's defense. He's carried the ball a whopping 5 times in his career. So IDK if we've really given him a chance to see what he can do back there.

we'll see if he comes out at the end of the year, but a kid I've had my eye on for a little while at RB is Brian Hill out of Wyoming... 3rd-5th rounder... i think he'd be an ideal fit behind Lacy for a few years...

Quote Originally Posted by jay87shot View Post
    I absolutely love Adoree Jackson but he will long gone. I would really love a big WR who can go up and get a deep pass like Courtland Sutton from SMU, but I don't know much about him outside of the stats. Others I like at this point include Desmond King, Jake Butt (2nd), Bucky Hodges (3rd), DeMarcus Walker, Tanoh Kpassagnon (2nd), Anthony Walker (3rd), Hardy Nickerson (4th-5th), Cordrea Tankersley, Chidobe Awuzie (3rd), and eventually some linemen.
    Yea Jackson is awesome. But yea, most likely will be taken before the mid 20s. Like Sutton too. Demarcus Walker is a beast, im an fsu guy so been watching him for as long as hes been there. Just a reckless player that would absolutely solidify the Dline. Versatile guy too. FSU ran a 3-4 when he arrived there then transitioned to a 4-2-5 and he hopped from playing the Mike Daniels role in the 3-4 to the end in the 4-2-5. So having him opposite Daniels in the 3-4 would be a nice addition.

We need a Laveon Bell type back for this offense. I love the bruisers as much as the next guy but i think it's obvious Lacy doesn't fit this offense. As much as MM loves to run Lacy to the outside and even split him out wide its just obvious we need a different style back.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    We need a Laveon Bell type back for this offense. I love the bruisers as much as the next guy but i think it's obvious Lacy doesn't fit this offense. As much as MM loves to run Lacy to the outside and even split him out wide its just obvious we need a different style back.
    And a Revis prime CB and Luke K LB. haha JK.

Ya I'm really annoyed that Mac seems to avoid these guys. We had Franklin but other than almost nothing else like that. It's odd. I've heard the explanations but yeah IDK. You don't even need Bell, obviously he's a beast. But just someone else that can run inside/outside with Lacy or something.

Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast