Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    No mention of Thompson an indication he's not meant for the big club yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

I don't think the Phillies have enough guys they need to protect to justify cutting Asche. He's probably eighth or ninth from the bottom of the current 40-man. And I think it's already at 35 players if memory serves.

As for Thompson, the work speaks for itself. He was always more likely to be a reliever than a starter. It's certainly worth giving him a little longer to figure out starting, but it's time to begin planning for his future out of the bullpen. If they're very lucky, he'll pull a Carrasco.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

Wow that soon? not much faith on him, at least he could be something like plumpy, right?

Authentic Phillies, Eagles , Sixers fan
    - I love Ray Lewis.

"Do not scorn a weak cub, he may become a brutal tiger"

The body is projectable. The performance to date is not. These are always tough profiles for outsiders to discuss because the light can click at any time. Usually several years after debut.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

He's still young, so he will get another season or two as a starter to see if he can develop but his end of the season in the big leagues certainly was a major disappointment.

Today is the deadline to protect players from the Rule 5 draft. Should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
    Today is the deadline to protect players from the Rule 5 draft. Should be interesting.
    The Kendricks move opened up a spot on the 40 man so that's nice.
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Well Ruf and Sweeney weren't going to survive the offseason on the 40-man.

The 40-man roster is now at 40 players.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxkuOj1XcAA8aih.jpg

If no further moves are made, the Phillies will not be able to participate in the Rule 5 draft. Given the state of the 25-man roster, I fully expect a spot or two to be opened between now and the winter meetings. There's definitely room for another Rule 5 gamble.

There are no easy cuts left on the roster. Cody Asche, Tyler Goeddel, Michael Mariot, and Phil Klein are probably the most endangered between now the and Rule 5. The Phillies have protected quite a few minor leaguers so don't be surprised to see some of them traded.

I imagine the club will keep Goeddel after going through the trouble of clearing him through the Rule 5 process. He might be designated at the end of Spring Training when it's easier to slip players through to the minors. I'll be surprised if Asche, Mariot, and Klein survive the winter on the roster.
    Last edited by The A Team; 11-18-2016 at 05:27 PM.

I'd think Goeddel is safe. Not sure about the others as you stated.

As someone pointed out on Twitter, the team probably needs to add a backup catcher, a couple backup infielders, and an outfielder. Any way you slice it, they need to consolidate. Otherwise 2017 is going to be very painful.

I was expecting this season being similar to last season in that they are going to let their young players grow and see where they stand at the end of the season. I'd say I'd expect maybe a major push for a free agent in 2017-2018 but that class isn't great either.

Cafardo was just saying the Phillies are a team that could afford one of those players.

Seems to me like another clickbait title. I'm hating this more and more. Unless the mlbtr links the story, I don't bother with it as a rumor with legs.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast