Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Not that he's a big prize, but Shawn Tolleson is now a free agent. He could fill the role of David Hernandez in 2017.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

He had a great season a while ago, I didn't hear anything about him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
    He'll decline at some point and injuries are always a concern with him. That's why he should be affordable if the Phillies were to take the full contract. He's also likely to post a higher WAR in 2017 than Tommy Joseph's entire career.
    If the Phillies aren't expected to start contending until 2018 at the earliest, what is the purpose of bringing in Votto who will turn 35 during the 2018 season? Unless you think the Phillies have a potential to contend next season I don't see the purpose of paying $20M+ through 2024 for 1 or 2 potentially phenomenal years of Votto on a team that isn't in contention. If the Phillies are in contention midway through next year and Votto looks like the piece that will put the Phillies into the playoffs then I can see this move but not during the offseason.

Neeeeeeeeshek
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Forget Vatto. Detroit is apparently rebuilding and trying to dump everyone of value including Miggy. We might as well go for him if we're going after an elite hitting 33 year old 1st basemen I'd rather it be Miguel Cabrera over Votto and Miggy may be somewhat more available then Votto at this point Reds aren't deffinate sellers from what I heard Detroit is and is listening to offers on anyone

I'd target Scott Kazmir to fill the role of Jeremy Hellickson. He recently declined his opt-out with the Dodgers and they may want to trade him.

And Detroit is not having a fire sale. They'll never rebuild so long as old man Illich is at the helm. He wants a championship before he dies. He probably doesn't have time for any kind of rebuild.

They're merely reallocating resources so that they don't get forced into it like the Phillies. Contrary to what you might have heard, Miggy is NOT available. Victor Martinez probably is though (not that he's a fit for the Phillies). Justin Upton's probably the best target for the Phillies, though I'm wary of how he'll age.

A couple new-ish notes:

Tim Dierkes of my old stomping ground MLBTR picked the Phillies as favorites for Ian Desmond and Edinson Volquez. The latter makes sense and fits with my impression that they'll add 2 or more mediocre veteran starters. I don't really understand why the club would have interest in Desmond. He disappears for long periods of time - an issue the club is already battling with some of the younger players. It's the same reason I don't see a fit with Carlos Gomez.

Dierkes lists the Phillies as a fit for about 20 of the top 50 free agents. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/1...edictions.html

An Angels beat writer has his eyes on Cesar Hernandez, but I doubt they have the bullets to make a trade. Hernandez isn't a premium asset, but he's proven to be a useful future platoon player. He'd be more without the sudden power surge.

hmmmm that's interesting, I thought Desmond was a good player, don't know what happened to him.

I like Volquez.

Authentic Phillies, Eagles , Sixers fan
    - I love Ray Lewis.

"Do not scorn a weak cub, he may become a brutal tiger"

Desmond is a capable player, just someone who is very streaky. You look at last year with his incredible start and lack luster finish. It makes sense in the A) They need an outfield (assuming he wants to stay in the outfield) B) They have money to spend and C) They have said they need a bat but I agree, he doesn't fit what they should be looking for in terms of players. Volquez on the other hand fits (innings eating shorter term contract). I'd basically he ok with any 1-2 year deal for a capable innings eating starter (Volquez, Hellickson, Weaver, etc).

The Yankees may be looking to move Brett Gardner, I can find a link if requested. He's 33, gold glover, lifetime OBP of .346 (.351 last year) with two years left on his deal. He's a hustler, grinder and hard worker. This is the type of move that I'd like to see the Phillies make (depending on prospect package, hopefully it wouldn't be significant). He's also someone that they could flip at a trade deadline (in order to recoup a similar package to what it cost to get him) if he's producing and the Phillies in-house talent shows progress.

That's a great move, but I think he would like to go somewhere he could compete next year.

Authentic Phillies, Eagles , Sixers fan
    - I love Ray Lewis.

"Do not scorn a weak cub, he may become a brutal tiger"

Kendrick is a nice veteran addition. He'll either fill a utility role or let the club use Hernandez in that capacity. Hernandez's long term role is definitely as a utility guy, so it makes sense to acclimate him now.

In Ruf and Sweeney, the Phillies basically dumped two guys off their 40-man roster who they were already likely to cut. Of course, Kendrick isn't free, so they didn't exactly get him for nothing.

Sean Doolittle is rumored to be available. He'd make for a nice addition at the back end of the bullpen. Recent injuries should drive down the price, although he still won't come as cheaply as Neshek or Kendrick.

Doolittle is originally from South Jersey (I used to play against him and his brother). He's 30.

I really like the Kendrick move. He's a decent bat that will give veteran leadership to these kids. Zolecki is saying he'll be there everyday LF but that can certainly change if they entertain offers for Hernandez or injuries/slumps occur.

I like Doolittle as well, he's a solid lefty when healthy. His contract is very reasonable and if he returns to his former production his 2 options are reasonable.

Love The move, how big is his deal?

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast