Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    The Blue Jays are supposedly sniffing around Joey Votto, although I believe it's unlikely the Reds will shop him. If they do, the Phillies are the best fit to acquire him since they can take on the entire contract without any regret. The Yankees are also well positioned if they decide not to worry about the luxury tax. A deal with Philadelphia likely starts with Tommy Joseph and Rhys Hoskins while the Yanks would probably push Greg Bird, Robert Refsnyder, and/or Tyler Austin.

Votto has a no trade clause and reportedly likes it in Cincinnati. I also see the Reds as a dark horse contender next season, but only if they get a full campaign from Votto.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

Not a huge fan of Votto, would rather keep Tommy, we are in no rush

You're not a fan of arguably the best pure hitter in the league?
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
    You're not a fan of arguably the best pure hitter in the league?
    I respect your opinion, but I'm afraid Votto will decline, he will be 33 next season.

He'll decline at some point and injuries are always a concern with him. That's why he should be affordable if the Phillies were to take the full contract. He's also likely to post a higher WAR in 2017 than Tommy Joseph's entire career.

If Votto comes at a good value prospects wise, sure, I'd be all for it. He can obviously go into decline or fall to injury but that's the risk your taking for an elite bat. Trading Votto though waves the white flag for the Reds and basically calls for a Phillies type rebuild which would take 3-5 years, are they ready for that? I personally think they should trade him if the right price comes along but their organization probably feels differently.

While I'm not sure I agree with that, it certainly makes it harder for the Reds to dark horse contend in 2017. I like the bare bones of their roster, they just need to catch some breakouts.

Regardless of what we think of their talent, if the Reds FO think they have a chance of contending they aren't trading their best player for an above average return just to clear some money. A major haul, sure, but they won't get that for a 33 year old with signed for that many year at his rate.

Ownership sometimes intervenes on these big contracts. See Lee, Cliff when the Phillies acquired Halladay, Roy.

Lee was a free agent at seasons end and didn't want to sign a short term deal with the Phillies, so they wanted to get something of value if/when he left. They were also able to replace him with a player that was willing to take a shorter team deal in Halladay. Votto isn't leaving via free agency because he is still signed up long term, so I'm not sure how these situation compares at all. If Lee were to have signed a long term deal (or shorter term in his case) he wouldn't have been dealt away, so it was 100% contract based). Teams trade away impeding free agents all the time (even contending teams), it's very common. There is really no reason for the Reds to trade Votto unless they are completely blown away by an offer or he decides he wants out (which hasn't happened yet). Also, why would he want to come here and waive his no-trade? The Phillies aren't a instant contender with him, he isn't doing it for financial reasons, and he has no ties here. A Votto deal to a contender makes sense because he might want to win and he might not think the Cincinnati is that place. I can almost assure you though he won't think Philadelphia is that place with this roster (this year at least).

The Phillies traded Lee purely for payroll purposes at the direction of ownership. I have this from the horse's mouth himself.

Lee's contract status was different, they probably wouldn't have traded for Halladay. It's not a perfect comp, but we are comparing two different types of apples.

The no-trade is a likely issue, but I never said otherwise. Nor am I suggesting a deal is likely or should even be pursued. My point is that if Votto is to be traded and if the NT is waived, the Phillies and Yankees are the best positioned to acquire him.

We've spent way to much time discussing the possibility of Votto coming here considering it is highly highly unlikely to happen anyway. Ryan Braun is a player that has a much better chance of landing here considering they have already been rumored to potentially deal him. All I know is any plus bat is welcome on this team because they are certainly lacking in that area at this given moment.

It would be a weird move, but I wonder if the Phillies may consider outbidding the market for Jose Bautista. His injuries and cold postseason might leave teams wary to commit both years and dollars. The Phillies could take an expensive gamble in the hopes he recaptures his past success and can be immediately converted into top prospects at the trade deadline.

I mean, the fit makes sense. They can afford to overpay, they need a bat in the middle of the order and he probably wouldn't acquire more than 3 years. Worst case he takes a serious decline but I think his bat will make him playable for at least 3 years barring injury (which he has dealt with). Adding him and a guy like Sean Rodriguez would be an immediate boast to the offensive without committing major years.

Yeah, I think Joey Bats is getting at least a 2 year deal. This is most likely his last contract too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast