Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 153 1231151101 ... LastLast

The Official 2016-17 Off Season Thread.

Well, guess it's time. We have officially been eliminated from post season play. They are four games out of the second wild card with three games to play. For the Yankees, those last three games will be essentially meaningless.

It's been a tumultuous season, several highs and lows. We bid farewell to Arod and Teixeira and found hope for the future in Sanchez. Several kids got a good look, do they figure into the plan? They traded Andrew Miller, Carlos Beltran, Aroldis Chapman and Ivan Nova. They promoted Gary Sanchez, Aaron Judge and Tyler Austin. They put Luis Severino in the bullpen. We re-stocked the farm and now can claim respectability. Will we see any recent acquisitions in 2017? If so who has the best shot to make the club? What does the future hold?

Have at folks. The official 2016-17 off season thread is open!
    Last edited by drt1010; 09-29-2016 at 11:18 PM.
    “Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” — Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein

I think is fair to say pitching is a priority. Eovaldi going down hurt. Cessa was a pleasant surprise. We do have some holes to fill and question to resolve.

1B is it still Bird as the successor to Teixeira or has TA shown enough?
    I think we are set for a while at 2B and SS. Both had very good years with the bat and glove.
    3B do we stick with Headley? My guess is yes for another year and then make a run at Machado?
    OF Gardy may go in off season, although he's played well and has a team friendly contract. I don't believe Cash will be in a hurry to move him.
    Ells, not going any where with that contract. Still waiting for that big season. Hopefully we see it soon!
    RF is open for comp. Maybe one of the kids has shown enough? I am not yet convinced Judge is a lock or the answer.
    C McCann may be gone in off season. Hopefully Atlanta still has interest. With Ramos down, with what looks like a serious injury, maybe Nats are in play. Angels, Astros, White Sox, Twins, Orioles and Rays are all potential suitors for an up grade at the position.
    Last edited by drt1010; 09-30-2016 at 12:25 AM.
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Well, waking up to this was a kick in the nuts but it is reality.

I have to agree regarding headley Could Andujar have a great fall and come in at spring ready to steal the spot? Maybe but more likely he's in AAA at the early mid part of next season. Solano? He might be a AAAA player.
    That leaves Headley and him alone.

1b will be interesting. TA was quite good. Bird has serious competition.

OF- Get rid of Gardner. Els has a spot but they should consider a move to LF. I agree about Judge, Doc, I'm not sold.

So aside from Els, open it up. Let there be a really competition between Williams, Ref, TA, Judge, Frazier, Tyler, Cave, Mckinney, Fowler, Adams and Puello (who is never mentioned but looks solid and can steal bases)

After Tanaka and CC (who as a 4 or 5 turned out to be a gift) Pitching should be similar. Let the competition begin. Mitchell, Green, Sevy, Kap, Adams, Clarkin, Montgomery, Enns and even Sheffield should all be considered.

Essentially, I think it's time to stop being scurred of prospects. I don't care if they are AA or AAA. We constantly hear Take chances with them. This concept of the fragile psyches of prospects and needing to protect them is crap. These guys are hungry. They will all fail. They will all fall into slumps. Give them a chance to try at the Big level. If they are overly overmatched, send them down. It should enlighten them and show them what they need to do to get better and make them want to get back. If being overmatched and sent down, breaks them, oh well.
    It seems like The Sox entire team, save a few were treated like that. They were given the chance.
    The smartest thing the FO could do is to come out and say, "the next season or two, we will be allowing the young players to have a chance. We ask for your patience in this development"

You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

i dont think trading mccann is worth it at the moment, we wont get enough to warrant the tradeand right now theres noone that would replace his bat. I love sanchez but we do have to wait and see cuse he may also fall into a sophomore slump like many other players have throughout their career.

as for 1b if the yankees do trade mccann then they have to be in play for edwin encarnacion if his contract makes sense in terms of short term sign-ability. He can then fill in at 1b/dh with austin and bird

the rest of the info i would leave it as is unless theres an upgrade thats too good to pass up on

OF there isnt much to do or outthere unless you make a run at yoenis, if they keep mccann and and not go after encarnacion then id explore to see what it would take to sign trumbo

as for the bench id sign beltran if he were willing to come back for a bench role on a 1 year contract.

as SP there is nobody and we are in pace to have a dreadful season again unless they make a trade .

RP - Aroldis is a must and i would also take a flyer on Greg holland

No thanks on EE. Great bat but I don't want to give up a 1st rounder for an older DH only. Doesn't mesh with our timeline well IMO.

Trumbo fits a little better age wise. He is 30 but his deal shouldn't be more than 4 maybe 5 years so you're not paying a guy into his late 30s. But he will cost a pick and I don't love him other than this past year so I'd stay away.

The FA pitching market is trash. I'm fine signing some bodies that don't cost picks (wouldn't mind Nova back) even if it's multiple years but nothing there is anything to get excited over.

Chapman is a must as Inferno said. He's young enough where his whole deal will be prime years. He won't cost a pick. He's a truly elite player. Exactly the type of guy to sign - at any cost.

I think the best course of action is another year of development. Play all the kids. Move Gardner and McCann. Ellsbury if it's at all doable. I understand it's not the best team for 2017 but I think it's the best course of action to get us to a WS contender ASAP. Not just a "good" team with a ceiling.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Agree on EE and Trumbo, not the best fit and costs us a pick. Also agree on FA pitching market. Best to see who emerges from in house. But aside from Tanaka I don't see a front end arm. Cessa and Mitchell looked good. Question is can they continue to improve and step up?

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Agree on EE and Trumbo, not the best fit and costs us a pick. Also agree on FA pitching market. Best to see who emerges from in house. But aside from Tanaka I don't see a front end arm. Cessa and Mitchell looked good. Question is can they continue to improve and step up?
    Definitely agree that there's no front-end arm. But the problem is that I don't see one in FA either. If there was a guy like that I'd be calling to sign him. I don't want to sign FAs that aren't front end arms just to compensate for guys we already have that aren't front end arms.

Maybe that other Japanese pitcher gets posted? IDK about him but if he's the real deal we should be in play on him.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

I agree that Chapman is a complete must. Pretty he is a Levine and Kids favorite so I'm guessing they'll go hard after him in the offseason. Pretty sure their is mutual interest from both sides.

Pass on EE and Trumbo, like the power, but that is it. Not worth giving up a pick. Same with Cespedes, he's only motivated on a one year deal. Just not worth losing a pick.

As far as starters go. The only two worth looking into are Nova and Hellickson. I don't want to go beyond three years with either. Keep CC, he'll last eat innings and save the pen. If the Rays sell low (doubt it though) on Archer I might bite.

The battle between TA and Bird should be fun to watch. Just play the better of the two.

Keep Judge in right, Ells won't go anywhere. See if Gardner can get another quality arm or innings eater, but don't force a trade.

For third, just wait for Machado unless Andujar shows signs of progress. Headley is the best option whether we like it or not.

Second and short are set for the next few years.

From what I have heard, they are going to hold off on promoting Fraizer because they want the extra year and cost controllability. Same goes with Sheffield and Torres.

Just resign Chapman and I'll be happy

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Definitely agree that there's no front-end arm. But the problem is that I don't see one in FA either. If there was a guy like that I'd be calling to sign him. I don't want to sign FAs that aren't front end arms just to compensate for guys we already have that aren't front end arms.

Maybe that other Japanese pitcher gets posted? IDK about him but if he's the real deal we should be in play on him.
    I think we are in agreement. Forget FA pitching market this year. My point, will someone in house step up?

I believe the Yanks will be all over Otani, just money. They would be foolish if they weren't. Will he be posted?
    Otani is under the Fighters’ control until 2019, although he is rumored to possibly have an “opt-out” clause of sorts, allowing him to be posted when he wants to, possibly before 2019. We wait as see.

Incredible thing about Otani he also has a potent bat. In 292 at-bats this season, Otani owns a slash line of .322/.420/.603 with 22 home runs and an OPS of 1.023.

According to DeadSpin, Otani is an incredibly impeccable hitter with legit opposite field power. This season, he has only struck out 88 times compared to 50 walks drawn.

Amazingly, he also won the Japanese home run derby this year and plays the role of designated hitter during the days he is not scheduled to pitch. http://deadspin.com/the-most-interes...-th-1786670490
    Last edited by drt1010; 09-30-2016 at 01:10 PM.

trumbo or EE wouldnt go against the youth movementbecause they fill in a role which they can continue play them and not prevent the development of our players. They wont be a long term 10 year signing and they fill a need. We are ending the season with our RBI leader has 70 rbis and a kid that came the other day is tied for second in homers.

Even if we go all out in 2018 and grab a machado & harper 2 years down the road trumbo or EE doesnt interfere with them as they would prolly be 2 years away from FA or retirement. You can also have them with opt out options where they can opt out to cash in on one bigger last time contract while still giving us a respectable lineup next year

in theory that would be great to sign otani as a ace pitcher that dhs on his other days but the yankees nor any team would allow him to do that based on the money they would pay him

Quote Originally Posted by infernoscurse View Post
    trumbo or EE wouldnt go against the youth movementbecause they fill in a role which they can continue play them and not prevent the development of our players. They wont be a long term 10 year signing and they fill a need. We are ending the season with our RBI leader has 70 rbis and a kid that came the other day is tied for second in homers.

Even if we go all out in 2018 and grab a machado & harper 2 years down the road trumbo or EE doesnt interfere with them as they would prolly be 2 years away from FA or retirement. You can also have them with opt out options where they can opt out to cash in on one bigger last time contract while still giving us a respectable lineup next year
    Do we want or need a full time DH? With the emergence of Sanchez as a potent bat, I think we need to keep the DH spot open and fluid. Rotating. He'll need 30-40 games off from catching to rest and keep fresh. Best to have the DH spot available imo.

Quote Originally Posted by infernoscurse View Post
    in theory that would be great to sign otani as a ace pitcher that dhs on his other days but the yankees nor any team would allow him to do that based on the money they would pay him
    I agree. I doubt any MLB team would take that risk. However, he is said to be adamant about playing for a team that will allow him to hit. Would that be a stumbling block to signing him? Well I guess it all depoends how much value, that is $, he places on hitting. When faced with $20M+ to pitch I think he may change his mind.

sanchez can dh they can move trumbo or ee around.

I don't want the Yankees to spend a ton this winter. They need a pitcher, but the salaries are going to be absolutely outrageous for the talent crop that's available... 4th/5th starters are going to get paid like they're #2 guys. The Yankees can't fall into that trap this year.

I would rather see a quiet off season with far more trades than FA signings... Maybe move Gardner or McCann or a few of their extra OF guys... They've showed they can compete, so I'd rather see what they can do this year with minimal changes and really make a move in the 2017/2018 off season.
    23,27,28,32,36,37,38,39,41,43,47,49,50,51,52,53,56 ,58,61,62,77,78,96,98,99,00,09

Page 1 of 153 1231151101 ... LastLast