Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Satchel Paige woulda been proud.

Hey, if people want to pay to see a guy play bad baseball, who am I to criticize?
    This is straight outa Bill Veeck's playbook.

I thought about going to a Columbia Fireflies game, not to see Tebow but to see the "spectacle" and to find out what kind of people care that much to see him. Are they Christian? Are they SEC fans? Are they "lovers" or "haters"? In the end I decided it wasn't worth the 2.5-hour drive because yeah -- there's not that much to see from Tebow himself at this time.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    This is straight outa Bill Veeck's playbook.

I thought about going to a Columbia Fireflies game, not to see Tebow but to see the "spectacle" and to find out what kind of people care that much to see him. Are they Christian? Are they SEC fans? Are they "lovers" or "haters"? In the end I decided it wasn't worth the 2.5-hour drive because yeah -- there's not that much to see from Tebow himself at this time.
    Yep. Bill woulda loved it.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    I can't wait for Tebowmania. But, shouldn't he be wearing this uniform?

Couldn't Make The Cut As A Denver Broncos Cheerleader

I Love NY Mets Baseball!!!!
    Mets Dieharder Since '63

Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since '87

uapeople you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P. - SPRING 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie6986 View Post
    I can't wait for Tebowmania.
    Not a fan of Tebowmania, but am impressed by what he's done this year. How many 29 yo athletes coukd step into full season Class A ball ten years after playing no higher than HS baseball and be modestly productive?

Unfortunately by the time he may develop and polish his skills sufficiently for MLB he will be 34-36 years old and past his prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie6986 View Post
    I can't wait for Tebowmania.
    Not a fan of Tebowmania, but am impressed by what he's done this year. How many 29 yo athletes coukd step into full season Class A ball ten years after playing no higher than HS baseball and be modestly productive?

Unfortunately by the time he may develop and polish his skills sufficiently for MLB he will be 34-36 years old and past his prime.
    Modestly productive? Wonder if you'd use that adjective for a non descript 22-year-old with similar numbers struggling to stay alive in pro ball?
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

Same here.

I think he made the decision too late.

I hate the idea that he could take a 40 man roster spot in September and have a cup of coffee with this team once rosters expand, especially if this team is dead in the water and needs a way to put butts in the seats.

There is too much money on the table for the Mets not to do that in all likelihood.

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I hate the idea that he could take a 40 man roster spot in September and have a cup of coffee with this team once rosters expand, especially if this team is dead in the water and needs a way to put butts in the seats.

There is too much money on the table for the Mets not to do that in all likelihood.
    But, P.T. Barnum would be proud.....
    Couldn't Make The Cut As A Denver Broncos Cheerleader

I Love NY Mets Baseball!!!!
    Mets Dieharder Since '63

Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since '87

uapeople you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P. - SPRING 2011

Sounds like that you expect that to happen this year? i guess it might happen next September, but its not going to happen if he hits .201 at AA. He would need to legitimately justify a spot on the roster, and if not legit he would probably be released after the season and prior to the Winter meetings.

Sounds like that you expect that to happen this year? i guess it might happen next September, but its not going to happen if he hits .201 at AA. He would need to legitimately justify a spot on the roster, and if not legit he would probably be released after the season and prior to the Winter meetings.
    If this was about legitimacy, he wouldn't be on this team period. Safe to say what it is comes down to money and I dont know why, but people would pay to see him in a major league uniform. The team certainly doesn't want 10,000 people a night in the ballpark come September and he's an easy way to sell tickets.

The Mets will bring him back next year if he wants to come back. That's regardless of how he plays. This is more about how far he wants to go with this before he loses interest or comes to the realization that he isn't going to be a major leaguer for anything more than a cup of coffee.

Modestly productive?

Wonder if you'd use that adjective for a non descript 22-year-old with similar numbers struggling to stay alive in pro ball?
    You mean batting over .350 at high Class A? Yes.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 07-03-2017 at 03:58 AM.

Modestly productive?

Wonder if you'd use that adjective for a non descript 22-year-old with similar numbers struggling to stay alive in pro ball?
    You mean batting over .350 at high Class A? Yes.
    No. I mean when he was batting 1.000 with a 4.000 slugging percentage in low class A. Then he stepped up to the plate for his second appearances.

Small samples will do that.

http://www.nydailynews.com/amp/sports/baseball/mets/team-selling-bottle-dirt-vip-package-tim-tebow-matchup-article-1.3296254

If this was about legitimacy, he wouldn't be on this team period. Safe to say what it is comes down to money and I dont know why, but people would pay to see him in a major league uniform. The team certainly doesn't want 10,000 people a night in the ballpark come September and he's an easy way to sell tickets.

The Mets will bring him back next year if he wants to come back. That's regardless of how he plays. This is more about how far he wants to go with this before he loses interest or comes to the realization that he isn't going to be a major leaguer for anything more than a cup of coffee.
    ^To be honest, it's this^

This and only this. I never really cared for Tebow and never got the fascination of him from his zealots. Florida residence and Gator Alum I understand...but anywhere else? Not so much. But that all being said, I have never had a problem with him off the field. As a man, and a human being...he's actually respectable. But as far as every sports team out there. It has always been about money. They realize his marketability and are seizing that opportunity. You or I would do the same. He likely realizes this of course. His experience with the Jets should have opened his eyes wide.

I don't buy the "He's taking a spot away from someone trying to make the team." They ALL are trying to make the team, that is the point of the Minor Leagues. If there was someone worth their salt playing this game, they are already in the system. There is no team out there including the Mets who would pick a money gimmick over an actual player with potential. They'd pick both, and dump someone else already not cutting it. For everything that he's worth, he is helping our Minor Leagues fill seats...and for the most part, that is what ALL Minor League teams fight over. If that is his destiny, I have no problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by wdwyer View Post

^To be honest, it's this^

This and only this. I never really cared for Tebow and never got the fascination of him from his zealots. Florida residence and Gator Alum I understand...but anywhere else? Not so much. But that all being said, I have never had a problem with him off the field. As a man, and a human being...he's actually respectable. But as far as every sports team out there. It has always been about money. They realize his marketability and are seizing that opportunity. You or I would do the same. He likely realizes this of course. His experience with the Jets should have opened his eyes wide.

I don't buy the "He's taking a spot away from someone trying to make the team." They ALL are trying to make the team, that is the point of the Minor Leagues. If there was someone worth their salt playing this game, they are already in the system. There is no team out there including the Mets who would pick a money gimmick over an actual player with potential. They'd pick both, and dump someone else already not cutting it. For everything that he's worth, he is helping our Minor Leagues fill seats...and for the most part, that is what ALL Minor League teams fight over. If that is his destiny, I have no problem with it.
    FoC concurs

Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast