Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Better app, more social media presence, and make the forums more noticeable on home page.

How can we improve activity on PSD?

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    I was told in the past that it slows the servers down which is why it isn't allowed. But we can email SDI and see if that problem still persists, and if not, see if we can allow that.
    It really should not slow the servers down. Embed codes from streaming servers like Youtube should not affect PSD server load since the media plays from Youtube servers directly. It doesn't even parse through PSD when users play the videos. I posted this in the feature request or tech forum and never received a cogent response.

If you go back to that thread I posted a link that supports my claim so you know I aint blowin smoke up yer butts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    It could be page loading. I'm not 100% sure on the reasoning.
    Embedding adds some extra code, and it needs to load a poster frame but the image should come from Youtube. Multiple poster frames on a page could slow down the user's browser a tiny bit, but not your server. I doubt this would impact user experience except possibly on smart phones connecting through cellular service.

Doesn't Tapatalk load videos even if links to videos are posted? Go to the youtube forum with Tapatalk using ypur cellular ISP. I have not experienced a problem with iOS and load times.

If PSD has doubts, I recommend a "first-post" only policy for videos.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 08-21-2016 at 08:51 AM.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Quote Originally Posted by KobeOwnSU View Post
    Better app, more social media presence, and make the forums more noticeable on home page.
    ^^^This^^^

If the mobile app was better, I'd feel it could give an uptick in activity. A more superior mobile app would be my #1.

Tapatalk is cool, but it's not for everyone.
    Come Be The Apple Of The PWW Owner's Eye!

*PSD Wrestling Wars Link* http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...restling-Wars!

How can we improve activity on PSD?

Just my opinion from seeing regime changes, but I do feel PSD is becoming/willing to become more lenient and laid back than the past.

There's more informal warnings, User Notes and formal warnings than there were in the past for reported posts.

Rush & TT are definitely more open and receptive to feedback for change than years past and collectively we are trying to make the site better for all. Just hope everyone understands we are only able to do what SDI is capable of or approves of from the feedback we pass along to them.

We've also (informally) talked about;

-an infraction point scrubbing system or increasing the infraction point threshold

-adding more emotes/smileys

-editing the word filter

-other minor tweaks or ways to help increase activity
    Come Be The Apple Of The PWW Owner's Eye!

*PSD Wrestling Wars Link* http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...restling-Wars!

The problem with the gifs and videos is you need an interface built to handle uploading of said assets that has the capability to enforce constraints or rebuild the assets for the user to fit the constraints or else yes you will absolutely destroy the user experience. You cant let people upload things willy nilly. Especially when the largest and fastest growing audience is the one who will be impacted most.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    The problem with the gifs and videos is you need an interface built to handle uploading of said assets that has the capability to enforce constraints or rebuild the assets for the user to fit the constraints or else yes you will absolutely destroy the user experience. You cant let people upload things willy nilly. Especially when the largest and fastest growing audience is the one who will be impacted most.

1. nothing is uploaded.
    2. the WYSIWYG editor has an embed feature for videos. it is even enabled right now. #Insert Video.
    3. Embedded youtube videos load and play at the optimum resolution for the connection and playback device.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 08-21-2016 at 12:53 PM.

I'm probably repeating what some users have said already, but upgrading the app would boost activity. Allowing gifs/videos wouldn't hurt either.

Quote Originally Posted by IHateTheSkins View Post
    If you want more members and more activity on the forums, you could try setting up some sort of paypal account or something and give away $1000 a day to a random member.
    now we're talking!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post

Uploading? Why would we upload anything?

We're talking about using the embedded features that already exist...that 99% of forums allow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    Boobs. I was eating *** one time and she farted

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    I don't know about going about it that extreme but, I think some contest stuff would be good. Kind of like a couple years back where we were nearing like a million posts or something and the top posters for the month won a Jersey from their favorite team or whatever.
    Ya who won that stuff anyways?

lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    Boobs. I was eating *** one time and she farted

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Thanks for responding to everyone but me.

You could just respond to the scroll issue?

titties

Lol I'm sorry. I meant to come back to it.

I placed your concerns up for discussion among the mods. We'll also compile a list of things to improve that will be sent to SDI in hopes that they can be accommodated.

To me, I don't see why it shouldn't be a quick fix for adding scores atop the pages. As for the uncensoring some words, personally, I would hope to be able to uncensor certain words, but we'll have to see where the discussion leads.

Quote Originally Posted by JaysLeafs98 View Post
    How about actually eliminating cancerous members when a TM requests it instead of letting the forum die and forcing casual members to other sites.

On a less personal note: In the Leafs forum we did a prediction game where you picked the winners of each game for the week, and at the end of each week the standings were updated with your W/L record and you were placed by winning %. Posters could make predictions any time during the week but only on games that had not started at the time of the posting. Could be interesting if we had 15-20 posters consistently on the NHL forum main page.
    I'm going to agree with what Soop said- I need people to report posts. Even though activity is down, we still can't read all of the posts or know what is going on in every forum. The more posts people report of disruptive posters, the more we can better handle things effectively. I know I've had responses from people that they don't want to report posts that break the rules for many reasons, but we can't improve the site and correct posters without help from the community on that.

I like the idea of the prediction game, I would be down for that on the main page in the NHL forums. I'm also looking for people to be mods/TMs in the various NHL team forums as well as the main forum, so if people are interested, shoot me a PM

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    How about changing the scroll at the top so you can choose what sports scores you want to follow. There are NBA games up there right now and the season doesn't start for months.
    I also don't watch soccer and many of the others don't watch. There is no option for NFL or MLB and those are the biggest threads on this site. If I log on and want to see a score, I have to go to another site. It wasn't like that last year.

Also, there is a bit of hypocrisy regarding some of the taboos and rules while there is "Boobies of the Day" and "The Hotness of Sports" and "WAG of the week" sitting beside the sports stories.
    I can't say sh-t or a--hole and can't make an un PC comment or one about giant **** but the owners of the site are happy to put a giant set of **** along the side and very un PC comments with it?
    That is presuming that the vast majority of PSD are straight males. So I think they should put some guys with huge cocks on the side. You don't even need the guys, just the dicks, because all we see is the ****.

Edit- so ironic and quite funny that the breasts can be displayed but the word t---i---t cannot. Every bleeped word was that word starting with a T, ending with a T and I in the middle.

I think the rules are too strict in general. Mods step in and warn or give infractions way too easily and it seems like they are given to those who actually contribute most frequently and most productively.
    There are many occasions where there is an obvious troll and the thread starts to sort them out but the mods ban everyone involved. This is similar to what Jaysleafs98 said but not as harsh. I think you can let people sort themselves out, until you can't. We know when you guys should step in and I have actually suggested it a few times when things were getting ugly.

I digress. I know that the latter two ideas will fall on deaf ears but I would really love it if the score scroll could be changed back to how it was.
    The scroll is something we have to have SDI look into, and they have a list and Rush and I will add that to it.

As far as the WAG of the week and all of that, again, SDI controls that from a content perspective. As far as why certain words are censored, I will hazard a guess- it has to do with advertising. Yes, it does seem that those contradict each other, but most places use bots to scroll what is typed out, not actually looking at things like the homepage. At least that is what I experienced on another site that was blacklisted by Google Adsense for that.

We are looking at re-writing the rules and seeing if there is some way we can have expiring infractions. However, going with that, I would also want to look at escalating infractions as well.

As far as moderation goes, I think that the staff we have does a great job at discussing things and giving more informal warnings rather than infraction points, and it is because we realize that there are finite points. We try to take history into account- both recent as well as in the past (used to try and give leniency if someone hasn't been infracted for two years.) However, if there are some specific things that I am missing with this, I would love to hear more.

Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    1. Allow posting of gifs and videos. Makes it more interesting than just text. Especially for a sports forum.

2. Add a Canadian flag icon!!!
    As Rush pointed out in previous posts, that was not an option before for some reason. Given that it's been a few years, we will add it to the list to talk about. A concern that I have coming from another forum (before I became truly active here) is that the smilies and gifs can be used to bait and troll, and that is another thing for us to moderate.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post
    Infraction points should be removed if said infraction is not repeated for a certain amount of time. Otherwise, eventually, every poster will be Perma banned.

I got a bunch of points for silly stuff years ago because I wasn't aware of the rules and now they just sit there forever waiting to ban me if I have an innocent misstep.
    We take into account your history when we look at reported posts, and if posters haven't had infractions for a while we treat it as a clean slate and are more likely to send a warning.

However, we are looking into re-writing the rules to drop off infractions after a certain date. Also, as I stated in another post, I would also want an escalator in there, because as it is currently, if someone baits and trolls people, it still takes 13 infractions to ban someone, so if someone truly doesn't get it, it might take a while to get them off the site.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast