Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    I think this quote is a big example to why so many posters have left.

Trying not to be combative here, but this elitist attitude scares off a lot of casual posters. Casual posters that, if they had more fun & were faced with a lot less judgemental elitists or bombarded with sarcastic posts full of stats, might turn into regular posters.

Sports talk should be enjoyable, fun, engaging. Way too many people here make it their life mission to disprove everyone else though. A lot of piling on, bullying & generally making people feel like **** if they say something wrong or use "the eye test".
    +1

I mentioned that too.

Those of you that wanted to win some type of prize. Here's your chance. We're having a contest in the NFL Forum. Come join the NFL Pick'em league!

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...ZE-GIVEAWAY***

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...comers-Welcome!!!!!!

The NBA Redraft game signup thread. Users that miss these games there is no reason you shouldn't want to play!

Thread ban people instead of outright banning them.

Also GIFs and pictures should be allowed. That should be an obvious one, it makes threads and replies funnier to read. Maybe not some of the older posters can attest, but how many people when they're texting on their phone respond with gifs, memes and pics sometimes?

Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post

Also GIFs and pictures should be allowed. That should be an obvious one, it makes threads and replies funnier to read. Maybe not some of the older posters can attest, but how many people when they're texting on their phone respond with gifs, memes and pics sometimes?
    Forum banning people is an option if that poster cannot stay out of trouble in a particular forum.

I do agree about the gifs and pictures. I hope to have this allowed when we discuss this with SDI.

Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post

I'm on the older side and use plenty of gifs, memes, and pics as text responses.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

You ask for advice, I'll give some - but like others before me I don't expect it to change anything. Forums like PSD have 3 things going for them that relate to how active they are - interface, community, and rules. I'll address each individually even though they're obviously intertwined.

Interface

As the internet moves toward consolidation of platforms, I think everyone can admit that places like PSD face an uphill battle. The vBulletin format is okay and I've gotten used to it but it's not sexy. The fact that the forums are not featured prominently on the homepage has always been somewhat annoying, as has been the huge drop-down menus that seem to always get in the way on desktop views. But those pale next to the real problem.

The real problem I see is what others have commented on: how big of a joke the rest of PSD's site is. It's like some sort of TMZ tabloid for sports gossip, I mean it's pathetic. I've been here 9 years and I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've read PSD content. That's fine if PSD wants to publish whatever, but having an over-the-top Harvey Levin boobs and butts type of deal going on while you still censor curse words and ban people for innocuous behavior adds to the lack of respect for moderation and the site in general. Either this place is 10 year old friendly or it's for frat boys - it can't be both.

But to be honest, neither of those atmospheres accurately describes the community (except maybe in some corners of the NBA forum). And I can see how that would be confusing to potential forum-goers who read the actual site after finding a thread on google, and then move along assuming this is some type of Busch Light guzzling sports analogue for the well-known bodybuilding form. Which leads me into,

Community

This is where places like PSD make and keep users. The community are the content providers, and the moderation should respect that fact. Yes the person paying the bills gets to make whatever rules they want, but don't expect people to hang around some rickety old vBulletin if the rules are asinine, the moderation is selective, and the most active and heated discussion is shuttered. Especially not if your website is going to compromise the privacy of all its users (which has, undoubtedly, cost many longtime users).

So between ones who decide to leave like natepro, Ian, gcoll, Sean, and others and the ones who are banned forever like Pablo, sexicano, jej, Hellcrooner, Gato, Clippersfan, amos, jomota and others this place has seen an absurd amount of attrition. I didn't get along with all these posters but I think they should all still be here. Dispensing with them like trash was okay when a new sportsboy92384293 created an account 10 times daily in order to post "lol" in his favorite team's forum. But the internet is different now - those guys tool around on reddit or in comment sections of their team sportsnation sites. The guys you've banned or run off are the content creators and repeat users - the bread and butter for why these forums see any activity.

At its best, PSD was a pretty funny and always amusing place to be. Now? We've probably got like 100-150 active threads at any one time it seems like - across the entire board that includes every major sports team and generals and the various miscellaneous sports. Can this place afford to run off more users? Maybe.

Moderation

For moderation we all have our complaints, but I'll take my recent ban as a case study. I was banned for making a post that consisted of 1 word and 1 article link (from a very super trusted and reliable website in keeping with yet another forum rule!!!!). That's it. All I was told was it was "disruptive." The kicker? I was banned 4 days after I made the post. So it wasn't disruptive for 4 days, nobody was even talking about what I had said anymore in that particular thread, and then some busybody mod whom I've never even heard of banned me. There is no definition of "disruptive" that constitutes what I did - it was nothing more than some random mod wanting to throw down the hammer (for whatever reason) or perhaps a group of mods deciding "something must be done" in a contentious part of the forum.

I've put up with junk like this for a while in my time here - particularly prior to a couple years ago. The mods seemed to lighten up a couple years ago when they realized the aggregated sites had poached all their active posters. But I guess efforts have been redoubled and these include quixotic methods like imposing a new regimen of rules and enforcement thereof to create drama/outrage/CLICKS.

So what's all this to say? This and no more: PSD you have nobody but yourselves to blame for not cultivating the niche that your users practically handed to you on a platter and that would keep this place active and interesting.

I've been a loyal poster in my 9 years, as PSD is the only sports forum I've ever been active on. But all good things come to an end, so I'm going to begin to find a new internet sports home. I'll still log on from time to time if anyone wants to message me or suggest a new site (please do give me suggestions, I don't even read others).

Otherwise I'll catch all you guys elsewhere in the tubes, or else in the infinite, and when they finally pull the plug on PSD I'll pour out a 40 to the memories.

Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    You ask for advice, I'll give some - but like others before me I don't expect it to change anything. Forums like PSD have 3 things going for them that relate to how active they are - interface, community, and rules. I'll address each individually even though they're obviously intertwined.

Interface

As the internet moves toward consolidation of platforms, I think everyone can admit that places like PSD face an uphill battle. The vBulletin format is okay and I've gotten used to it but it's not sexy. The fact that the forums are not featured prominently on the homepage has always been somewhat annoying, as has been the huge drop-down menus that seem to always get in the way on desktop views. But those pale next to the real problem.

The real problem I see is what others have commented on: how big of a joke the rest of PSD's site is. It's like some sort of TMZ tabloid for sports gossip, I mean it's pathetic. I've been here 9 years and I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've read PSD content. That's fine if PSD wants to publish whatever, but having an over-the-top Harvey Levin boobs and butts type of deal going on while you still censor curse words and ban people for innocuous behavior adds to the lack of respect for moderation and the site in general. Either this place is 10 year old friendly or it's for frat boys - it can't be both.

But to be honest, neither of those atmospheres accurately describes the community (except maybe in some corners of the NBA forum). And I can see how that would be confusing to potential forum-goers who read the actual site after finding a thread on google, and then move along assuming this is some type of Busch Light guzzling sports analogue for the well-known bodybuilding form. Which leads me into,

Community

This is where places like PSD make and keep users. The community are the content providers, and the moderation should respect that fact. Yes the person paying the bills gets to make whatever rules they want, but don't expect people to hang around some rickety old vBulletin if the rules are asinine, the moderation is selective, and the most active and heated discussion is shuttered. Especially not if your website is going to compromise the privacy of all its users (which has, undoubtedly, cost many longtime users).

So between ones who decide to leave like natepro, Ian, gcoll, Sean, and others and the ones who are banned forever like Pablo, sexicano, jej, Hellcrooner, Gato, Clippersfan, amos, jomota and others this place has seen an absurd amount of attrition. I didn't get along with all these posters but I think they should all still be here. Dispensing with them like trash was okay when a new sportsboy92384293 created an account 10 times daily in order to post "lol" in his favorite team's forum. But the internet is different now - those guys tool around on reddit or in comment sections of their team sportsnation sites. The guys you've banned or run off are the content creators and repeat users - the bread and butter for why these forums see any activity.

At its best, PSD was a pretty funny and always amusing place to be. Now? We've probably got like 100-150 active threads at any one time it seems like - across the entire board that includes every major sports team and generals and the various miscellaneous sports. Can this place afford to run off more users? Maybe.

Moderation

For moderation we all have our complaints, but I'll take my recent ban as a case study. I was banned for making a post that consisted of 1 word and 1 article link (from a very super trusted and reliable website in keeping with yet another forum rule!!!!). That's it. All I was told was it was "disruptive." The kicker? I was banned 4 days after I made the post. So it wasn't disruptive for 4 days, nobody was even talking about what I had said anymore in that particular thread, and then some busybody mod whom I've never even heard of banned me. There is no definition of "disruptive" that constitutes what I did - it was nothing more than some random mod wanting to throw down the hammer (for whatever reason) or perhaps a group of mods deciding "something must be done" in a contentious part of the forum.

I've put up with junk like this for a while in my time here - particularly prior to a couple years ago. The mods seemed to lighten up a couple years ago when they realized the aggregated sites had poached all their active posters. But I guess efforts have been redoubled and these include quixotic methods like imposing a new regimen of rules and enforcement thereof to create drama/outrage/CLICKS.

So what's all this to say? This and no more: PSD you have nobody but yourselves to blame for not cultivating the niche that your users practically handed to you on a platter and that would keep this place active and interesting.

I've been a loyal poster in my 9 years, as PSD is the only sports forum I've ever been active on. But all good things come to an end, so I'm going to begin to find a new internet sports home. I'll still log on from time to time if anyone wants to message me or suggest a new site (please do give me suggestions, I don't even read others).

Otherwise I'll catch all you guys elsewhere in the tubes, or else in the infinite, and when they finally pull the plug on PSD I'll pour out a 40 to the memories.
    To touch on the bold, we have no control over what is posted on the front page of PSD. I know others, myself included, don't care for it, but I really don't think we can do anything about it, unfortunately. That will certainly be on the list of things that will be sent to SDI. And we have sent a list of problems we would like to see fixed and they said they will be fixed and dealt with, but did not give us an ETA.

Regarding community and moderation, the posters that you named that were banned were banned because they did not follow the rules that were laid out that they agreed to when they signed up. Baiting, insults, disruptive behavior, and trolling are the main reasons why they were banned. And they did this multiple times over months and years while posting. At some point, when is enough enough? Why would the blame fall on us when these users simply could not follow the rules? It's a simple task to follow. Users can get their points across with insulting or purposely trying to upset other users. Posters come on here to have discussions, let off steam, and get away from real life sometimes. We don't want to let everyone run wild and say what they want. That, too, would drive posters away. We have to put a cap on it somewhere.

The moderator that banned you did not chose to ban you on their sole accord. As explained before, we gather opinions from multiple mods and come to a consensus. It was not a mod on a power trip nor a group of us thinking we have to do something. Believe me, we would like to come to a conclusion as fast as we reasonably can, but that doesn't always work out as real life interferes with virtual life often, so sometimes deciding whether to infract or warn someone may take a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    To touch on the bold, we have no control over what is posted on the front page of PSD. I know others, myself included, don't care for it, but I really don't think we can do anything about it, unfortunately. That will certainly be on the list of things that will be sent to SDI. And we have sent a list of problems we would like to see fixed and they said they will be fixed and dealt with, but did not give us an ETA.

Regarding community and moderation, the posters that you named that were banned were banned because they did not follow the rules that were laid out that they agreed to when they signed up. Baiting, insults, disruptive behavior, and trolling are the main reasons why they were banned. And they did this multiple times over months and years while posting. At some point, when is enough enough? Why would the blame fall on us when these users simply could not follow the rules? It's a simple task to follow. Users can get their points across with insulting or purposely trying to upset other users. Posters come on here to have discussions, let off steam, and get away from real life sometimes. We don't want to let everyone run wild and say what they want. That, too, would drive posters away. We have to put a cap on it somewhere.

The moderator that banned you did not chose to ban you on their sole accord. As explained before, we gather opinions from multiple mods and come to a consensus. It was not a mod on a power trip nor a group of us thinking we have to do something. Believe me, we would like to come to a conclusion as fast as we reasonably can, but that doesn't always work out as real life interferes with virtual life often, so sometimes deciding whether to infract or warn someone may take a few days.

You guys know we don't get paid to post here, right? Its not hard for me to dress professionally for work Monday through Friday but i wouldn't do it if i wasn't getting paid. Like Flea said there was a community that naturally evolved here and it was beat down.
    Last edited by ewing; 09-22-2016 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    You guys know we don't get paid to post here, right? Its not hard for me to dress professionally for work Monday through Friday but i wouldn't do it if i wasn't getting paid. Like Flea said there was a community that naturally evolved here and it was beat down.
    And we're not paid for this either.

Of course we're aware, but we're all adults here, for the most part, and rules were in place that everyone agreed to. They aren't hard to follow. We're fine giving some leeway, and we do, but if people constantly break the rules and show they don't care to change their behavior, then why should we give those people any breaks? Like I said, when is enough enough?

Of course we're aware, but we're all adults here, for the most part, and rules were in place that everyone agreed to. They aren't hard to follow. We're fine giving some leeway, and we do, but if people constantly break the rules and show they don't care to change their behavior, then why should we give those people any breaks? Like I said, when is enough enough?

b/c you start to realize your rules/interpretation of them are are counter productive to the life of the site. Do you think perma banning and chasing away your most active and well liked users helps this place?

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    b/c you start to realize your rules/interpretation of them are are counter productive to the life of the site. Do you think perma banning and chasing away your most active and well liked users helps this place?
    Point taken, but like I said, we will give deserving posters leeway, however, if posters who've agreed to the rules and cannot consistently follow them, regardless if they are an active poster or not, they will be handled accordingly. It takes a long time to get permabanned. They have enough time to change their posting behavior. Some just don't care to. We don't want these type of posters on here who constantly insult or berate other posters simply because they have a different view point. We can't let everyone run rampant and allow it just because they're some of the more active posters.

Point taken, but like I said, we will give deserving posters leeway, however, if posters who've agreed to the rules and cannot consistently follow them, regardless if they are an active poster or not, they will be handled accordingly. It takes a long time to get permabanned. They have enough time to change their posting behavior. Some just don't care to. We don't want these type of posters on here who constantly insult or berate other posters simply because they have a different view point. We can't let everyone run rampant and allow it just because they're some of the more active posters.

you don't get it. FORUM LIVES MATTER!!!

#FLM c

I think the inconsistent quality of moderation is a significant problem -- especially when infractions are punitive and cannot be rescinded. Here's an example. I am sorry I cannot provide links to all the posts.

A ways back, I made a post where I described someone's opinion as "reality distortion". A mod responded -- either in thread or a PM I can't remember -- by asking me if the phrase was related to how people described the late Steve Jobs. I replied, "yes" as he was known for perceiving reality in a way that fit his beliefs, and received no further feedback. I have no idea why he asked.

A couple weeks later I posted again that someone's opinion was a "distortion of reality", and I received an infraction which resulted in a ban. I used this form to communicate with someone. Mr PSD or whomever, explained to me that calling someone's opinion a "distortion of reality" was rude and offensive and infraction-worthy. I pointed out to him that just a week prior, a moderator in the same forum called my opinion "a lie" and me a liar. I asked him how is it permissable for a mod to call someone's opinion a "lie" if "distortion of reality" is not permissible. Mr. PSD never responded.

Recently someone called my opinion, "Delusion at it's finest...". How would this be different from "distortion of reality"? And yet it remains. So here we have two instances of posts that are really no different from the one I posted for which I was infracted and then banned.

This is one example. I've seen dozens and dozens of inconsistencies, and when infraction points are non-refundable, moderation is the primary problem here.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 09-23-2016 at 08:49 AM.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast