Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

How can we improve activity on PSD?

Members of PSD,

As Rush and I have settled in since taking over for Sports Illustrator, we have been making some changes- some visible (forum consolidation) and some not so visible (drive to add more moderators and TMs to try and increase activity.) We have tried to listen to most of the things brought to our attention.

We are a few weeks away from the start of the NFL season, which is typically a big time for PSD, as well as most other sports forums. A lot of posters return from a few months off as the NFL season is beginning, and the NBA season is close to starting and folks are back to the grind with kids back in school.

So, we would like to take this time for everyone to use this thread to propose ideas for the forum to try and increase activity. We have seen some things work in different sections of the forum- last year, we made sure all NFL team forums had gameday threads posted in them, and in the NHL forum, we saw some moderate success with threads for the rivalry games every Wednesday when we started those late in the year. Thinking along those lines, what can we do to generate some more, relevant discussion for you all?

We will try to address each response individually, but since we are also posting a global announcement with a link to this thread, it is possible we may not get to everyone so please don't hold that against us. We are looking forward to your feedback.

How about actually eliminating cancerous members when a TM requests it instead of letting the forum die and forcing casual members to other sites.

On a less personal note: In the Leafs forum we did a prediction game where you picked the winners of each game for the week, and at the end of each week the standings were updated with your W/L record and you were placed by winning %. Posters could make predictions any time during the week but only on games that had not started at the time of the posting. Could be interesting if we had 15-20 posters consistently on the NHL forum main page.

Quote Originally Posted by JaysLeafs98 View Post
    How about actually eliminating cancerous members when a TM requests it instead of letting the forum die and forcing casual members to other sites.
    You've been told to report the posts but for whatever reason you don't. You're expected to help moderators by reporting posts that break PSD's rules. Instead you've sent reports on who to get rid of. If you want to know more of your responsibilities you can go to the TM forum, there's a User Guide for you.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    How about changing the scroll at the top so you can choose what sports scores you want to follow. There are NBA games up there right now and the season doesn't start for months.
    I also don't watch soccer and many of the others don't watch. There is no option for NFL or MLB and those are the biggest threads on this site. If I log on and want to see a score, I have to go to another site. It wasn't like that last year.

Also, there is a bit of hypocrisy regarding some of the taboos and rules while there is "Boobies of the Day" and "The Hotness of Sports" and "WAG of the week" sitting beside the sports stories.
    I can't say sh-t or a--hole and can't make an un PC comment or one about giant **** but the owners of the site are happy to put a giant set of **** along the side and very un PC comments with it?
    That is presuming that the vast majority of PSD are straight males. So I think they should put some guys with huge cocks on the side. You don't even need the guys, just the dicks, because all we see is the ****.

Edit- so ironic and quite funny that the breasts can be displayed but the word t---i---t cannot. Every bleeped word was that word starting with a T, ending with a T and I in the middle.

I think the rules are too strict in general. Mods step in and warn or give infractions way too easily and it seems like they are given to those who actually contribute most frequently and most productively.
    There are many occasions where there is an obvious troll and the thread starts to sort them out but the mods ban everyone involved. This is similar to what Jaysleafs98 said but not as harsh. I think you can let people sort themselves out, until you can't. We know when you guys should step in and I have actually suggested it a few times when things were getting ugly.

I digress. I know that the latter two ideas will fall on deaf ears but I would really love it if the score scroll could be changed back to how it was.
    Last edited by Kinkotheclown; 08-20-2016 at 08:54 AM.

You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

1. Allow posting of gifs and videos. Makes it more interesting than just text. Especially for a sports forum.

2. Add a Canadian flag icon!!!

Infraction points should be removed if said infraction is not repeated for a certain amount of time. Otherwise, eventually, every poster will be Perma banned.

I got a bunch of points for silly stuff years ago because I wasn't aware of the rules and now they just sit there forever waiting to ban me if I have an innocent misstep.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post
    Infraction points should be removed if said infraction is not repeated for a certain amount of time. Otherwise, eventually, every poster will be Perma banned.

I got a bunch of points for silly stuff years ago because I wasn't aware of the rules and now they just sit there forever waiting to ban me if I have an innocent misstep.
    We can certainly look into something like this, but we would have to discuss this with SDI and see if they would allow it first.

It should also be noted that when we look into infracting/warning, we do look at history and give the benefit of the doubt or show some leniency if the poster hasn't had any slip ups in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    1. Allow posting of gifs and videos. Makes it more interesting than just text. Especially for a sports forum.

I was told in the past that it slows the servers down which is why it isn't allowed. But we can email SDI and see if that problem still persists, and if not, see if we can allow that.

can we please fix the bookie so it doesnt work only about 10 percent of the time i try to post an event

Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post

I don't think number one could hurt anymore. Worth a shot

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    I was told in the past that it slows the servers down which is why it isn't allowed. But we can email SDI and see if that problem still persists, and if not, see if we can allow that.
    I feel like that's incorrect. I'm no genius but I don't understand how linking to files hosted elsewhere would slow servers.

I always thought they just said that instead of them saying we don't want them used to troll or whatever. It will slow a page load but I can't see how it does a thing to their servers. I could be wrong though but it doesn't make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I feel like that's incorrect. I'm no genius but I don't understand how linking to files hosted elsewhere would slow servers.

I always thought they just said that instead of them saying we don't want them used to troll or whatever. It will slow a page load but I can't see how it does a thing to their servers. I could be wrong though but it doesn't make sense to me.
    It could be page loading. I'm not 100% sure on the reasoning.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Thanks for responding to everyone but me.

You could just respond to the scroll issue?

titties

You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

If you want more members and more activity on the forums, you could try setting up some sort of paypal account or something and give away $1000 a day to a random member.

Quote Originally Posted by IHateTheSkins View Post
    If you want more members and more activity on the forums, you could try setting up some sort of paypal account or something and give away $1000 a day to a random member.
    I don't know about going about it that extreme but, I think some contest stuff would be good. Kind of like a couple years back where we were nearing like a million posts or something and the top posters for the month won a Jersey from their favorite team or whatever.

RIP Gene Wilder

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast