Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Let's just hope Swanson doesn't hit a 3 run home run in his first at bat tonight
    2018 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Mike Hughes CB UCF
    Round 2: Brian O'Neill OT Pittsburgh
    Round 4: Jalyn Holmes DE Ohio State
    Round 5: Tyler Conklin TE Central Michigan
    Round 5: Daniel Carlson K Auburn
    Round 6: Colby Gossett G Appalachian State
    Round 6: Ade Aruna DE Tulane
    Round 7: Devante Downs LB California

The game is actually going to be on TV in my area tonight and I have to friggin work go figure but, I do have it set for the dvr

RIP Gene Wilder

I wouldn't be surprised if Swanson posts better numbers in the majors than the minors. He seems like the type of guy that performs better as the stage gets bigger.
    2018 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Mike Hughes CB UCF
    Round 2: Brian O'Neill OT Pittsburgh
    Round 4: Jalyn Holmes DE Ohio State
    Round 5: Tyler Conklin TE Central Michigan
    Round 5: Daniel Carlson K Auburn
    Round 6: Colby Gossett G Appalachian State
    Round 6: Ade Aruna DE Tulane
    Round 7: Devante Downs LB California

Let me say this:

SB and I have disagreed on what is best for Swanson. I value SB's opinion and appreciate his concern for doing what is best for both Swanson and ATL. But I don't see how any Braves fan can't be excited to know that the future is hopefully a step or two closer with a talent like Swanson getting a chance. I am excited to see what he can do in the next 6-7 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    I'm not sure what you are getting at. Heyward had an excellent rookie year. He struggled in his 2nd season but followed that up his 3rd year with probably his best season in the majors yet. He never lived up to the hype of the being the next super star but he was still a pretty good player in Atlanta. If Swanson is even half as good as Heyward was at 22 years old I'll be pretty happy.
    If you read both entry's you'll get the Heyward reference. It was in comparison to how they brought Freeman along. And you hit the nail on the head, Freeman learned to adjust, Jason didn't. How did Freeman learn to adjust? By getting better competition little by little as in comparison to Heyward making the jump. I'm a much bigger Jason than Fredie fan, but it's not a tough decision on who the better hitter is. I don't want to make the mistake of moving Swanson to the show to soon. He did struggle at AA some and he hasn't even played AAA yet. And while it was pointed out if you minus 20 something games how his stats where better, it'd only be fair to point out if you minus his first 22 games it'd be far worse! He's hit .256 in June, .260 in July and .256 in August. According to baseball america. 326,.320. And.376 OBP. And .384,.398, and .326 slgg. Just saying stats say he hasn't batted that well over the last 3 months.

Quote Originally Posted by SB75 View Post
    If you read both entry's you'll get the Heyward reference. It was in comparison to how they brought Freeman along. And you hit the nail on the head, Freeman learned to adjust, Jason didn't. How did Freeman learn to adjust? By getting better competition little by little as in comparison to Heyward making the jump. I'm a much bigger Jason than Fredie fan, but it's not a tough decision on who the better hitter is. I don't want to make the mistake of moving Swanson to the show to soon. He did struggle at AA some and he hasn't even played AAA yet. And while it was pointed out if you minus 20 something games how his stats where better, it'd only be fair to point out if you minus his first 22 games it'd be far worse! He's hit .256 in June, .260 in July and .256 in August. According to baseball america. 326,.320. And.376 OBP. And .384,.398, and .326 slgg. Just saying stats say he hasn't batted that well over the last 3 months.
    I think you should step back a bit in your valuation of a prospect based on his numbers. Yes stats are important and most of the time they tell you if a prospect has already mastered the level but let's not get carried away on that. The Braves think Swanson has little to learn at AA or AAA and think what he needs to learn can be done in the Majors since he doesn't have the pressure to perform on a contending team and will play everyday. Swanson numbers at AA are okay but most importantly all facets of his game and tools are ready.

And to be perfectly honest.... I do believe atleast part of the move is geared toward showing our next manager and free agents what we have coming....

I won't be able to catch the game. So can someone let me know how he played beyond stats? You know body language, was he comfortable, did he look overwhelmed, that kind of stuff?

First AB looked fine. Hot a line drive to CF on a 1-2 count. It was caught, but a decent AB.

And since June 18, when Swanson seemed to break out of his funk, he has slashed .289/.375/.427 (I messed up the OBP earlier).

As Beldugo said, I think Swanson's game is pretty advanced. We don't know what type of contact Swanson is making because we have so few advanced stats for minor leaguers. I can tell you that Swanson really struggled hitting in Trustmark Park compared to on the road. There may be a reason for this or it could just be a fluke, but we will probably never know.

Home: .238/.292/.381
    Away: .280/.380/.524

Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    I think you should step back a bit in your valuation of a prospect based on his numbers. Yes stats are important and most of the time they tell you if a prospect has already mastered the level but let's not get carried away on that. The Braves think Swanson has little to learn at AA or AAA and think what he needs to learn can be done in the Majors since he doesn't have the pressure to perform on a contending team and will play everyday. Swanson numbers at AA are okay but most importantly all facets of his game and tools are ready.
    I think you should re-read all my post on the matter rather than jumping to conclusion on one entry.

Thanks for the update coach.

2nd AB - single to RF. Nice job driving the pitch the other way. Also, nice job getting the pitcher up with 2 outs so the next inning begins at the top of the order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Struck out in his third at bat then singled up the middle with two outs in the ninth. Looked good on the single.

I think you should re-read all my post on the matter rather than jumping to conclusion on one entry.
    Personally I don't think it really matters if you make the jump from AA or if you go through AAA to the majors. From what I understand there isn't much of a difference between each level. Carlos Correa made the jump from AA and is doing just fine. I think Swanson is mature enough and advanced enough to make the jump without a problem. I could be wrong but I don't think it really matters if you go through AAA or not to get to the majors.

If we were a contending team we may have treated this differently but I've felt all along that the goal is for Swanson to be the opening day starter at short next season. Why not get him some seasoning during a lost season? He's mature enough to be able to deal with any struggles he'll surely go through. I feel like the outcome can only be positive.

Well..... Most of you got your wish. I just hope this doesn't have a Heyward like back fire. I'm pulling for the kid, I just don't think his up and down season has earned it....... Id LOVE TO BE PROVEN WRONG and him start and Finnish on fire! So GO SWANSON!
    Just like tons of guys do worse, so that argument can be made either way. At the end of the day I trust Harts instincts over mines at this point(&#129300. However I personally would prefer the Freeman approach from this point forward, playing level by level and succeeding, considering what happened to Heyward and all his talent. I guess those that wanted him to come up from the get go will say the numbers don't tell the entire story and that is true. However it's be crazy to think his numbers justifying it.

Again I'm rooting fo Swanson to prove me wrong!

I re-read all your post on this thread to the point of my original post and still don't know what I missed. In every one of these post you pointed out Swanson's AA stats as evidence on why he isn't ready and expressed concern on how he might be rushed by the Braves. You made a good point in the second post but didn't include yourself in the statement that "Numbers don't tell the whole story", that's my point, I'm trying to convince you to join that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    [/B]

I re-read all your post on this thread to the point of my original post and still don't know what I missed. In every one of these post you pointed out Swanson's AA stats as evidence on why he isn't ready and expressed concern on how he might be rushed by the Braves. You made a good point in the second post but didn't include yourself in the statement that "Numbers don't tell the whole story", that's my point, I'm trying to convince you to join that statement.
    So you missed the part about going with Harts instincts? And since this is not the first time we had this discussion, what about all the other times that I said we don't know what happens everyday on the farm? Which if you remember was my main point when Hart said he wasn't ready a month or so back. So if I agreed then that we don't know what happens in everyday on the farm, then I have to also agree by that same guide line now. Who knows he could have the David Justice thing where he hits line drives all over the place, just right at people.
    All that said numbers is what we have as fans. And I don't think any of us can justify his numbers as why he's been promoted. So to go back to my original point, those that wanted him promoted, always wanted it. And those that didn't myself included, are in serious concern about not rushing our future star.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast