Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 275 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
    police officer shot and killed another black man in minnesota while his gf was live streaming the stop on facebook.

story

I'm a manager in a big box retailer and I had an interesting scenario last night. I had a white father and his white son, I guess to be about 13. They were looking for a PS4 game. The son wanted GTA but the dad said no because of the content. Understandable, right? But then the dad asks me if we have any video games where they get to shoot and kill terrorists? He repeated this about three times over our interaction, almost every time his son picked out a game. Then, to top it off, when his son defiantly wants GTA he tells him he can have it, if he takes it to church and tells everyone how he loves playing this game and what its about. The son was embarrassed by the thought of this and put the game back.

I understand the terrorists thing to a certain point but when you use such a broad label around a kid like that, don't you think it limits the kids understanding of the world? Plus, the religion shaming thing he did to his son was pitiful. It made me sick.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    isn't that what black people complain about, unarmed, unarmed, unarmed.

black man is shot, major news, outrage, protests.
    white man is shot..

I don't even need to search this to know there are black people and white people shot by the police, but 99% of the time only the black victims make the news.
    I remember the one search I did before, that in 2015 there were more white people shot and killed by police than black people shot and killed by police. shocking to some because only one of those really makes the news.

my point is that some people want to act like this ONLY effects black people. I'm saying no that is not true when white people also get shot by the police. if people want to be angry over the police shootings then don't act like it's only a problem for certain people.
    Nobody is saying it ONLY affects black people, but it disproportionately affects them and every statistic about our criminal justice system, from stops, searches, arrests, charges, convictions, sentences and police shootings show it disproportionately affects black people.

Why is that so hard to understand?

All Race Related Articles And Discussions volume II

White america.

http://www.10news.com/news/san-diego-police-respond-to-possibly-armed-man-in-mission-bay

This is endemic of the larger problem. White guy waves a gun around and police shoot him once and wait an hour for him to drop the weapon, he survives his encounter.

Zero doubt in my mind if that man was black he's lit up like a christmas tree and killed.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    http://www.10news.com/news/san-diego-police-respond-to-possibly-armed-man-in-mission-bay

This is endemic of the larger problem. White guy waves a gun around and police shoot him once and wait an hour for him to drop the weapon, he survives his encounter.

Zero doubt in my mind if that man was black he's lit up like a christmas tree and killed.
    No doubt about that...

Quote Originally Posted by browski234 View Post
    Yeah, um, your whole "guys please don't focus on the black people look at this white one I found that isn't being covered" shitpost kinda flops when you post a story by abcnews...covering it lmao. Not sure why cnn is like your barometer for social narratives or whatever. Probably explains why you think white people are so unfortunate.

Also wow, it's like you didn't even read the story you posted or any details of it outside of finding out he was white and got shot--try re-reading that.

I'm sure you love this one:
    http://www.citypages.com/news/graphi...-video-8415016
    [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Nobody is saying it ONLY affects black people, but it disproportionately affects them and every statistic about our criminal justice system, from stops, searches, arrests, charges, convictions, sentences and police shootings show it disproportionately affects black people.

Why is that so hard to understand?
    for this I'm not talking about anything other than police related shootings. there are a lot of people talking about only black people being shot. just look at what makes the news and what doesn't. very very rarely does a story of someone white being shot by police make the news, and therefor a lot less people are aware of this. the reason for this is because the media will put on what grabs people's attention, and someone white being shot by the police doesn't grab people's attention the same as someone black being shot by police where they can attempt to tie it into racism.
    just using who is shot by police alone doesn't even tell the entire story without factoring in what caused "X" to be shot. we've seen numerous examples of someone black shot where people were outraged only to have it turn out it was justified. people still want to use Michael Brown as an example despite evidence to prove he attacked the police officer.
    "disproportionately " is a way to spin it to make it look like they are effected more because if one was to use the actual numbers it wouldn't look so one sided.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ut-minority-d/

Police kill more whites than blacks, but minority deaths generate more outrage
    April 21, 2015.
    Nobel Prize-winning novelist Toni Morrison says she wants to see an officer shoot an unarmed white teenager in the back before agreeing that the “conversation about race” is over, but she almost certainly already has received her wish.

An analysis released last week shows that more white people died at the hands of law enforcement than those of any other race in the last two years, even as the Justice Department, social-justice groups and media coverage focus on black victims of police force.

“People keep saying, ‘We need to have a conversation about race,’” Ms. Morrison told the (U.K.) Telegraph in an April 19 interview.

“This is the conversation. I want to see a cop shoot a white unarmed teenager in the back,” said Ms. Morrison, who also has won the Pulitzer Prize for her work, which includes the bestsellers “Beloved” and “Song of Solomon.” “And I want to see a white man convicted for raping a black woman. Then when you ask me, ‘Is it over?’, I will say yes.”

Her comments reflect a widespread view that blacks are routinely targeted by law enforcement while whites shot by police are a rarity
    . Outrage has surged in recent weeks over the high-profile deaths of black men at the hands of police, notably 50-year-old Walter Scott of South Carolina, who was shot in the back and killed April 4 as he tried to run away from an officer after a traffic stop.

The officer who shot him, Michael Slager, has been charged with murder, and the Justice Department is investigating the case for civil rights violations. Department officials announced Tuesday that they have opened a federal probe into the death of Freddie Gray, 25, who died Sunday from injuries sustained while in Baltimore police custody.

Meanwhile, the deaths of whites at the hands of law enforcement typically receive less attention, even when the case is shrouded in controversy. For example, Gilbert Collar, an 18-year-old white student at the University of South Alabama, was shot and killed while naked, unarmed and under the influence of drugs by a black police officer.

The officer, Trevis Austin, was cleared of wrongdoing in 2013 by a Mobile County grand jury in a case that received little media coverage outside Alabama. Mr. Collar’s parents filed a federal lawsuit last year against the officer.

As researchers are quick to point out, FBI data on police shootings by race is notoriously incomplete, which may explain why Peter Moskos, assistant professor at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice at the City University of New York, decided to use figures from the website Killed by Police.

Based on that data, Mr. Moskos reported that roughly 49 percent of those killed by officers from May 2013 to April 2015 were white, while 30 percent were black. He also found that 19 percent were Hispanic and 2 percent were Asian and other races.

His results, posted last week on his blog Cop in the Hood, arrived with several caveats, notably that 25 percent of the website’s data, which is drawn largely from news reports, failed to show the race of the person killed.

Killed by Police lists every death, justified or not, including those in which the officer had been wounded or acted in self-defense.

“The data doesn’t indicate which shootings are justified (the vast majority) and which are cold-blooded murder (not many, but some). And maybe that would vary by race. I don’t know, but I doubt it,” Mr. Moskos said on his blog.

Adjusted to take into account the racial breakdown of the U.S. population, he said black men are 3.5 times more likely to be killed by police than white men. But also adjusted to take into account the racial breakdown in violent crime, the data actually show that police are less likely to kill black suspects than white ones.

If one adjusts for the racial disparity in the homicide rate or the rate at which police are feloniously killed, whites are actually more likely to be killed by police than blacks,” said Mr. Moskos, a former Baltimore cop and author of the book “Cop in the Hood.”

Adjusted for the homicide rate, whites are 1.7 times more likely than blacks die at the hands of police,” he said. “Adjusted for the racial disparity at which police are feloniously killed, whites are 1.3 times more likely than blacks to die at the hands of police.”

Mr. Moskos listed two possible reasons for the racial disparity. The first is that police assigned to largely black neighborhoods face “more political fallout when they shoot, and thus receive better training and are less inclined to shoot.”

The second is that police assigned to black communities with high crime rates are more accustomed to dangerous situations and thus are more likely to be able to resolve them without resort to lethal force.

Figures on police shootings by race are thin on the ground, but Mr. Moskos’s results have some support: The investigative journalism website ProPublica came up with a similar percentage in an Oct. 10 article, reporting that 44 percent of all those killed by police were white, using FBI data from 1980 to 2012.

The fact-checking website PolitiFact concluded in August 2014 that police kill more whites than blacks after the claim was made by conservative commentator Michael Medved. PolitiFact cited data from the Centers for Disease Control on fatal injuries by “legal intervention” from 1999 to 2011.

“Over the span of more than a decade, 2,151 whites died by being shot by police compared to 1,130 blacks. In that respect, Medved is correct,” said PolitiFact.

But PolitiFact gave his assertion a “half true” rating because whites make up 63 percent of the population, while blacks make up just 12 percent.

“Yes, more whites than blacks die as a result of an encounter with police, but whites also represent a much bigger chunk of the total population,” PolitiFact said in its Aug. 21 post.

But PolitiFact did not take into account the percentage of those by race involved in violent crime or shootings of police, as Mr. Moskos did.

Despite the recent flood of media coverage involving police shootings, Mr. Moskos advised his readers to “keep all this morbidity in perspective,” reminding them that very few people, white or black, will ever be shot or killed by police.

“The odds that any given black man will shoot and kill a police officer in any given year is slim to none, about one in a million. The odds for any given white man? One in four million,” he said. “The odds that a black man will be shot and killed by a police officer is about 1 in 60,000. For a white man those odds are 1 in 200,000.”

shot by police in 2016..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...hootings-2016/

509 people shot by police in 2016. white= 238. black=123.

the anti-Trump movement seems to be getting dumber

Like previously mentioned,

Dylan Roof shoots up an entire church and he's brought out in a bullet proof vest.

Philando Castillo reaches for his ID and is shot.

Alston Sterling was brutally murdered for selling CDs and wasn't even close to resisting arrest.

Eric Garner was murdered for selling loose cigarettes.

Michael Brown was murdered for robbing a convenience store.

Trayvon Martin was murdered for being black.

Sandra Bland was arrested for being black and suddenly she kills herself? Ok.

Freddie Gray just happened to die in the back of a police van?

Let's not forget that Castillo's wife is being illegally detained and nobody knows where she is.

Please, tell me how it's not a race thing? This isn't even accounting all of the other names that are ignored by the media to focus on Hillary Clinton's ****ing emails.

I'm really getting sick of this ****. Existing as a Muslim in this country is terrifying, I can't even imagine what it's like to exist while black.

I saw a video (I'll link when I'm on a computer or if somebody knows what I'm talking about) where these two white guys in Oregon were walking around open carrying assault rifles and a sheriff comes up to them asking them why they were carrying the weapons, not even drawing his. A black man did the same exact thing and once he walked past a cop, they immediately drew their weapon and told him to get on the ground. They even threatened to detain his girlfriend if she didn't comply (or whoever the woman filming was) even after she said she was pregnant.

Police are supposed to protect and serve but instead, all they do is harass and bully.
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

for this I'm not talking about anything other than police related shootings. there are a lot of people talking about only black people being shot. just look at what makes the news and what doesn't. very very rarely does a story of someone white being shot by police make the news, and therefor a lot less people are aware of this. the reason for this is because the media will put on what grabs people's attention, and someone white being shot by the police doesn't grab people's attention the same as someone black being shot by police where they can attempt to tie it into racism.
    just using who is shot by police alone doesn't even tell the entire story without factoring in what caused "X" to be shot. we've seen numerous examples of someone black shot where people were outraged only to have it turn out it was justified. people still want to use Michael Brown as an example despite evidence to prove he attacked the police officer.
    "disproportionately " is a way to spin it to make it look like they are effected more because if one was to use the actual numbers it wouldn't look so one sided.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ut-minority-d/

shot by police in 2016..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...hootings-2016/

509 people shot by police in 2016. white= 238. black=123.
    Bolded: It is not "spinning it" to make it look like they are shot more. They are shot more. Do you not understand how averages work? This is elementary school stuff. Take your bottom numbers:

White 238
    Black 123

34% of those shootings are against black people, yet they make up 13% of the population. This means that police shootings are affecting them more than white people.

Even you own article recognizes this fact:

But PolitiFact gave his assertion a “half true” rating because whites make up 63 percent of the population, while blacks make up just 12 percent.

“The odds that any given black man will shoot and kill a police officer in any given year is slim to none, about one in a million. The odds for any given white man? One in four million,” he said. “The odds that a black man will be shot and killed by a police officer is about 1 in 60,000. For a white man those odds are 1 in 200,000.”

Your own proof that it doesn't disproportionately affect black people says absolutely that it disproportionately affects black people.

But I don't know why I'm even responding to you. We've already said this 1,000 times to you, at this point your so entrenched in your view nothing is going to change it. You are the guy after all who posted an article defending the KKK

White people make up 63% of the population

Blacks make up roughly 14%

If you put those numbers into perspective, 238 whites shot and 123 black, if blacks were the majority that would mean roughly 650 black people would be killed by the police (assuming they were at the 63%)

If white people only made up 14% of the population? That's only roughly 50 people.

Sorry if my math is off but you get the jist.
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

Ah. Sorry Valade, you beat me to it.

Bolded: It is not "spinning it" to make it look like they are shot more. They are shot more. Do you not understand how averages work? This is elementary school stuff. Take your bottom numbers:

White 238
    Black 123

I'm pretty sure 238 is more than 123.

as I also mentioned none of these numbers tell the story of WHY "X" was shot. maybe people (black and white) wouldn't be shot so often if they didn't resist arrested and cooperated, or were not doing something illegal to have the police involved in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Like previously mentioned,

Dylan Roof shoots up an entire church and he's brought out in a bullet proof vest.

Philando Castillo reaches for his ID and is shot.

Alston Sterling was brutally murdered for selling CDs and wasn't even close to resisting arrest.

Eric Garner was murdered for selling loose cigarettes.

Michael Brown was murdered for robbing a convenience store.

Trayvon Martin was murdered for being black.

Sandra Bland was arrested for being black and suddenly she kills herself? Ok.

Freddie Gray just happened to die in the back of a police van?

so much wrong here.

Dyllan Roof willing gave himself up. he didn't resist arrest, he didn't fight back, there was no reason for him to be shot.

Eric Garner was resisting arrest while attempting to be arrested for yet again selling illegal cigarettes.

Michel Brown attacked a police officer, with forensic evidence to prove this.

Trayvon Martin was shot in self defense.

Sandra Bland was pulled over for an illegal lane change. illegal is right in the name. she wouldn't cooperate with the officer.

if you're going to throw out examples you could at least use examples where the police were actually in the wrong, like Walter Scott or LaQuan McDonald.

the anti-Trump movement seems to be getting dumber

White 238
    Black 123

34% of those shootings are against black people, yet they make up 13% of the population. This means that police shootings are affecting them more than white people.

Even you own article recognizes this fact:

Your own proof that it doesn't disproportionately affect black people says absolutely that it disproportionately affects black people.

But I don't know why I'm even responding to you. We've already said this 1,000 times to you, at this point your so entrenched in your view nothing is going to change it. You are the guy after all who posted an article defending the KKK
    I would really love to hear an explanation to this post from SpecialFNK, specifically the bolded parts. But as Valade already said, there is prob no point. Youll find some way to excuse the behavior. People like you are disgusting.

I'm pretty sure 238 is more than 123.

as I also mentioned none of these numbers tell the story of WHY "X" was shot. maybe people (black and white) wouldn't be shot so often if they didn't resist arrested and cooperated, or were not doing something illegal to have the police involved in the first place.
    and 196,817,552 is more than 37,685,848. That is the number of white people in America vs. black people.

So no, 238 of 196,817,552 is not more than 123 of 37,685,848.

We are no longer talking about race or police brutality, we are talking about elementary school level mathematics, specifically averages.

We've also been over that second part before as well. Can you prove that more black people were resisting arrest than white people so that is why they were shot? If not, I can simply say "you're wrong" and have exactly the same amount of proof you have of your claims.

You're wrong.
    Last edited by valade16; 07-07-2016 at 01:44 PM.

Page 4 of 275 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast