Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 156 of 156 FirstFirst ... 56106146154155156
Results 2,326 to 2,337 of 2337
  1. #2326
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    23,473
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    he should have known people would criticize kneeling for the countries national anthem. the anthem is something many Americans have pride in and it's very offensive to some to use that as a tool for a protest.
    Maybe he chose not to stand diring the national anthem because he respects the anthem, but believes his country is not fulfilling what the anthem and flag stand for and what service men and women fought for.

    Even though his actions annoy me a bit, I think it is a perfectly valid means of protest.

  2. #2327
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    18,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Maybe he chose not to stand diring the national anthem because he respects the anthem, but believes his country is not fulfilling what the anthem and flag stand for and what service men and women fought for.

    Even though his actions annoy me a bit, I think it is a perfectly valid means of protest.

    I understand why people are angry at him doing it. It's a sport and he is only in that position because he is paid by the fans and if he offends those who are paying his check? Not a good look. It's also supposed to be escape for people and that just shoves reality down their throat.

    With that said, it didn't bother me. At a point I thought he got caught up in himself and it got silly but I fully support his right to do it. A protest isn't supposed to make everyone feel warm and supportive. It's meant to get attention.

    I am more confused by how NFL teams give wife beaters, shooters, rapists and assaulters, jobs before him. I know he has baggage but his baggage is legal. He did absolutely nothing wrong. Guys who have done horrendous shite get second and third chances. So what the NFL is saying is, Greg Hardy who mercilessly beat his girl is a "rehab" project but Kap, who quietly took a knee is too much risk.

    That is ****ed to the 10th degree. You are essentially saying that wife beating, gun shooting, raping... are more forgivable offenses than taking a knee during the anthem, which is his constitutional right.

    Now if the NFL changes their laws and prohibits that kind of thing as an employer, ok. But they haven't.




    You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

  3. #2328
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    15,896
    I think there could have been other methods of protest that would not have been as criticized.
    he could have stood for the anthem, but raised a first like what happened at the 1969 Olympics.
    The 1968 Olympics Black Power salute was a political demonstration conducted by African-American athletes Tommie Smith and John Carlos during their medal ceremony at the 1968 Summer Olympics


    just because I post a lot, does not mean it is disruptive

  4. #2329
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    23,473
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    I think there could have been other methods of protest that would not have been as criticized. he could have stood for the anthem, but raised a first like what happened at the 1969 Olympics.
    Hmmm...can't agree for this reason: there is a threat implied in a raised fist. I don't see a threat implied in taking a knee.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets

  5. #2330
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    18,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Hmmm...can't agree for this reason: there is a threat implied in a raised fist. I don't see a threat implied in taking a knee.

    I wrote an entire post explaining that if he did the fist, people would have speculated on a Black Panthers relationship. And if there wasn't one, he'd be a copycat without substance and therefore a fake.
    Also exactly what you said. A raised fist would be twisted to mean violence whereas taking a knee is passive.

    I deleted it because I didn't feel like continuing the story. lol But since you commented, i wanted to agree.




    You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

  6. #2331
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    15,896
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Hmmm...can't agree for this reason: there is a threat implied in a raised fist. I don't see a threat implied in taking a knee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post

    I wrote an entire post explaining that if he did the fist, people would have speculated on a Black Panthers relationship. And if there wasn't one, he'd be a copycat without substance and therefore a fake.
    Also exactly what you said. A raised fist would be twisted to mean violence whereas taking a knee is passive.

    I deleted it because I didn't feel like continuing the story. lol But since you commented, i wanted to agree.

    a "raised" fist is violent and threatening? news to me.

    one is supposed to stand for the national anthem. people take pride in that. a raised first in solidarity could still be seen as controversial, but it's at least standing and not being offensive by kneeling/not standing.


    just because I post a lot, does not mean it is disruptive

  7. #2332
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    32,330
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    a "raised" fist is violent and threatening? news to me.

    one is supposed to stand for the national anthem. people take pride in that. a raised first in solidarity could still be seen as controversial, but it's at least standing and not being offensive by kneeling/not standing.
    I'm sure you'd have found some reason to be offended by it however.

    "there's no shines in my shinebox"

  8. #2333
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    23,473
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    a "raised" fist is violent and threatening? news to me.
    If I raised and held a fist to your face, what would you think might happen next? A fist is certainly much more aggressive than kneeling - don't you think?
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets

  9. #2334
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    18,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    If I raised and held a fist to your face, what would you think might happen next? A fist is certainly much more aggressive than kneeling - don't you think?
    His response is why i didn't post initially. Anything stated in this thread, becomes a disagreement when he's involved.




    You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

  10. #2335
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    15,896
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    If I raised and held a fist to your face, what would you think might happen next? A fist is certainly much more aggressive than kneeling - don't you think?
    are you aware of the raised fist I'm talking about from the 1968 Olympics? do I really need to post a picture so you can see the difference?
    http://i.imgur.com/FDWlP7H.jpg
    does that really look threatening? it's not a fist raised in a threatening manner, or anywhere near the face.


    just because I post a lot, does not mean it is disruptive

  11. #2336
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    32,330
    Again, you can't pretend that standing with a raised fist doesn't appear more aggressive than taking a knee.

    "there's no shines in my shinebox"

  12. #2337
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    18,784
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Again, you can't pretend that standing with a raised fist doesn't appear more aggressive than taking a knee.
    I wonder if we all started suggesting that racism doesn't really exist and is a media creation, he would start telling us how bad the problem of racism is and that we need to fight to make things better?

    If we said the sky was blue and the sun yellow, he would say the sky was yellow and the sun blue.




    You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •