Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 117 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119 LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,755 of 1782
  1. #1741
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    8,785
    Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    DOB made a series of tweets that sumarize the mediocrity of the team since June 1st.







    I think this show us that we have a hole in every facet of the gane (except defense). What you guys think we should do this deadline? asuming we can only get better in two of the three areas, which one should we address this season?

    Offense: I think we have hole in one of the infield spots and one of the outfield spots. We have some options in the infield, Swanson sucks at offense but he's been a revelation on defense, Camargo has been fine at third base but he's far from a great offensive player. We can get a SS to replace Swanson or move Ozzie back to SS and Camargo to 2B an acquire a 3B. Machado is the obvious candidate but Eduardo Escobar, Moustakas, Beltre et al will be an upgrade.

    Inciarte has been terrible this season, we can move Acuña to CF and acquire a LF, like Nicholas Castellanos.

    Starters: Our rotation now consist of Folty-Newcomb-Sanchez-Teheran, acquiring a top of the rotation pitchers is bassically impossible so we need to aim a bit lower and try to trade for a mid rotation arm with upside like Archer, Fulmer. This is obviously a strenght in our farm but filling our rotation with more unproven guys won't be smart if we want to win the east.

    Bullpen: this is probably the biggest need, trade for a controllable reliever or a rental is the question, we also need multiple players for the pen.

    If I was in charge of making decisions a starter and bullpen pieces are the easiest to acquire this deadline. I will try to get Archer, if he's out of the AL East I think he'll thrive. I will also acquire rental pieces for the pen, guys like Tyler Yates will do the trick. I would expect until the offseason to fix the offense, of the three needs that's the one I have more faith.

    Joey Wentz, Juan Carlos Encarnacion and Huascar Ynoa for Archer.
    Some lesser prospects for two months of two relievers.

    That's it.
    You're ready to move on from Inciarte already? Not me. He hasn't been great with the bat this year but not horrible. He has been great with steals and obviously his defense is great. I see no reason to replace him.

  2. #1742
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,048
    Inciarte is a gold glove CF that has been a consistently strong hitter for multiple yrs. Tge sample size is high enough to believe the he will move more towards his mean and be a better hitter in the 2nd half, that might not be the case, but you have to buy Inciarte for the 2nd half and expect some regression from Markakis in avg and power.

    I am not moving on from Swanson either as my gold glove SS. He is an 8 hitter that is gold glove at one of the 2 most important defe nsive positions on the field (non pitcher) in SS and CF. Camrgo and he can split time at SS and we can get a bat at 3B, or Ramis at C could be great and rid ourselves of Flowers.

    I would say SP and RP are the most important things. Degrom or Syndergaard would be amazing in my opinion.

  3. #1743
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Steubenville, Ohio
    Posts
    13,980
    I might be alone here but I'm hoping we don't make any splash moves. By splash moves I mean going for somebody like Machado or Archer. I'd rather we hold onto our prospects and acquire a veteran reliever or two. Tyler Clippard, Jared Hughes, or Joakim Soria to name a few.
    2018 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Mike Hughes CB UCF
    Round 2: Brian O'Neill OT Pittsburgh
    Round 4: Jalyn Holmes DE Ohio State
    Round 5: Tyler Conklin TE Central Michigan
    Round 5: Daniel Carlson K Auburn
    Round 6: Colby Gossett G Appalachian State
    Round 6: Ade Aruna DE Tulane
    Round 7: Devante Downs LB California


  4. #1744
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    You're ready to move on from Inciarte already? Not me. He hasn't been great with the bat this year but not horrible. He has been great with steals and obviously his defense is great. I see no reason to replace him.
    It's not that if I'm ready to move on from him, I have faith in him getting back to being an average offensive player I just pointed out that he's a hole in the lineup right now, and he's been horrible. The only two qualified CF in the NL that has been worse than him (offensively) are Lewis Brinson and Billy Hamilton. That's it, he's been the third worst. He's still being a productive player though, could be a 2 fWAR by the end of the season, which isn't bad.

  5. #1745
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,443
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    I might be alone here but I'm hoping we don't make any splash moves. By splash moves I mean going for somebody like Machado or Archer. I'd rather we hold onto our prospects and acquire a veteran reliever or two. Tyler Clippard, Jared Hughes, or Joakim Soria to name a few.
    I agree that it wouldn't be smart to empty the farm this deadline but I want this team to improve at every facet of the game, we weren't supposed to be this good, but we have. The future is now for the team, you can't take anything for granted in sports, we should be better next season but what if Freeman goes down with an injury? Or Folty needs TJ? Everytime you have a chance to make the playoffs you need to try it. AA said that he thinks the team needs a starter, at least one reliever and one hitter. He gets it, and he probably get what he want, it might not be Machado or Degrom but I expect him to acquire some good players, even if it cost us a good prospect or two.

  6. #1746
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Steubenville, Ohio
    Posts
    13,980
    Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    I agree that it wouldn't be smart to empty the farm this deadline but I want this team to improve at every facet of the game, we weren't supposed to be this good, but we have. The future is now for the team, you can't take anything for granted in sports, we should be better next season but what if Freeman goes down with an injury? Or Folty needs TJ? Everytime you have a chance to make the playoffs you need to try it. AA said that he thinks the team needs a starter, at least one reliever and one hitter. He gets it, and he probably get what he want, it might not be Machado or Degrom but I expect him to acquire some good players, even if it cost us a good prospect or two.
    I absolutely agree you can't take anything for granted but I also think it's fairly safe to say that this team is only going to be getting better. If we can acquire some controllable assets then I'm all for it but I have little interesting giving up a good prospect for a rental. IMO the only way we can become legit World Series contenders is by giving up the farm. We're still another year away from truly knocking on the door. It's a tough decision to make but patience is the best path here. Eventually we will be making some deals but we have a bunch of money available in the off season and I'd rather see how we can fill holes with FAs first.
    2018 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Mike Hughes CB UCF
    Round 2: Brian O'Neill OT Pittsburgh
    Round 4: Jalyn Holmes DE Ohio State
    Round 5: Tyler Conklin TE Central Michigan
    Round 5: Daniel Carlson K Auburn
    Round 6: Colby Gossett G Appalachian State
    Round 6: Ade Aruna DE Tulane
    Round 7: Devante Downs LB California


  7. #1747
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Steubenville, Ohio
    Posts
    13,980
    Per Ken Rosenthal:

    Though the Braves have a number of wants on the trade market — specifically upgrades to the pitching staff — they’re reluctant to trade any prospects of note for a rental piece, reports Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic within his latest notes column (subscription required). Rosenthal also notes that a right-handed-hitting center field option to pair with Ender Inciarte would be appealing, though Inciarte’s glovework is so good that it lessens the blow of his 2018 struggles against lefties.
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...re-braves.html
    2018 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Mike Hughes CB UCF
    Round 2: Brian O'Neill OT Pittsburgh
    Round 4: Jalyn Holmes DE Ohio State
    Round 5: Tyler Conklin TE Central Michigan
    Round 5: Daniel Carlson K Auburn
    Round 6: Colby Gossett G Appalachian State
    Round 6: Ade Aruna DE Tulane
    Round 7: Devante Downs LB California


  8. #1748
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    5,123
    Castallanos needs to be a Brave. Big boost to the lineup. Can play third vs righties and choose between Johan and Dansby at short, then play left with acuna in center against lefties. Go get him, please.

  9. #1749
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,443
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    I absolutely agree you can't take anything for granted but I also think it's fairly safe to say that this team is only going to be getting better. If we can acquire some controllable assets then I'm all for it but I have little interesting giving up a good prospect for a rental. IMO the only way we can become legit World Series contenders is by giving up the farm. We're still another year away from truly knocking on the door. It's a tough decision to make but patience is the best path here. Eventually we will be making some deals but we have a bunch of money available in the off season and I'd rather see how we can fill holes with FAs first.
    I think we're on the same page, I go a different route though. I wouldn't go after controllable players because I don't think an elite one is on the market (I don't buy that the Mets are serious about trading Degrom or Thor) and the cost in terms of prospects is going to be high. I would rather go after players that are just rentals and use lesser prospects to acquire them. Look at the Nats, they traded for Kelvin Herrera who is a great reliever and didn't gave up anyone of note. If we can get 2 months of an average starter, 2 relievers and a good bench piece without using any of our top 11 prospects, that'll be great. I think that's doable.

  10. #1750
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Steubenville, Ohio
    Posts
    13,980
    Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    I think we're on the same page, I go a different route though. I wouldn't go after controllable players because I don't think an elite one is on the market (I don't buy that the Mets are serious about trading Degrom or Thor) and the cost in terms of prospects is going to be high. I would rather go after players that are just rentals and use lesser prospects to acquire them. Look at the Nats, they traded for Kelvin Herrera who is a great reliever and didn't gave up anyone of note. If we can get 2 months of an average starter, 2 relievers and a good bench piece without using any of our top 11 prospects, that'll be great. I think that's doable.
    If we can pull off a trade like that then absolutely. If we could get somebody like Brad Brach cheap I'm all for it. My guess is we won't be able to and will have to settle for someone like Clippard. I don't know much about AA as a GM besides he isn't afraid to make a move.
    2018 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Mike Hughes CB UCF
    Round 2: Brian O'Neill OT Pittsburgh
    Round 4: Jalyn Holmes DE Ohio State
    Round 5: Tyler Conklin TE Central Michigan
    Round 5: Daniel Carlson K Auburn
    Round 6: Colby Gossett G Appalachian State
    Round 6: Ade Aruna DE Tulane
    Round 7: Devante Downs LB California


  11. #1751
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Steubenville, Ohio
    Posts
    13,980
    Jim Duquette took 5 trade Proposals from fans. HE discussed the below. THoughts? I wouldn’t do it.

    Proposal No. 3 (via mandana808)
    Braves get: Right-hander Michael Fulmer and outfielder Nicholas Castellanos
    Tigers get: Righty Kyle Wright (Braves' No. 2 prospect), left-hander Kolby Allard (No. 5), outfielder Cristian Pache (No. 8) and catcher/third baseman Drew Lugbauer (No. 28)
    2018 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Mike Hughes CB UCF
    Round 2: Brian O'Neill OT Pittsburgh
    Round 4: Jalyn Holmes DE Ohio State
    Round 5: Tyler Conklin TE Central Michigan
    Round 5: Daniel Carlson K Auburn
    Round 6: Colby Gossett G Appalachian State
    Round 6: Ade Aruna DE Tulane
    Round 7: Devante Downs LB California


  12. #1752
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    5,123
    If we knew Fulmer was fully healthy I would. But I really want Castallanos. I think a change of scenery would be good for Fulmer and getting him with Newc and Folty would help. I would hate giving up Wright pache and Allard but with the way Touki has advanced as well as guys like Wilson and then you’ve got Waters and Jenista who aren’t far behind Pache in the outfield rankings.

  13. #1753
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    441
    Nick C is the perfect fit. I believe there are questions about Fulmers health and his era is over 4. Nick could platoon with Ender and Camargo. Trade Travis D, Rio Ruiz, Lucas Sims, and 1 pitcher that is not in our top 10 prospects.

  14. #1754
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    8,785
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Jim Duquette took 5 trade Proposals from fans. HE discussed the below. THoughts? I wouldn’t do it.

    Proposal No. 3 (via mandana808)
    Braves get: Right-hander Michael Fulmer and outfielder Nicholas Castellanos
    Tigers get: Righty Kyle Wright (Braves' No. 2 prospect), left-hander Kolby Allard (No. 5), outfielder Cristian Pache (No. 8) and catcher/third baseman Drew Lugbauer (No. 28)
    For that price? Not a chance I do that. That's like a deal for Machado with a guarantee he'd re-sign IMO.

  15. #1755
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Punta Gorda, FL
    Posts
    27,661
    I really like all four of those guys so I wouldn't even think about doing that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •