Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Pirates Draft Discussion

8th round pick is Dylan Prohoroff

He looks like a late inning reliever. The Pirates took Seth McGarry in the 8th round last year and he too profiles as a late inning reliever. Maybe it's a type.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

I haven't got much of a chance to review the day 3 picks but this draft at first glance seems heavily dependent on the prep pitchers. The Pirates took 4 of them. Lodolo, MacGregor, Ogle and Kranick.

The Pirates have already signed 7 of their 11 picks within the first 10 rounds. Of the remaining 4 players, 3 are high school pitchers who always figured to be the tough signs and the other is Stephen Alemais who I'm surprised hasn't signed yet but I imagine it won't be long. So far the Pirates have saved $295,200 in bonus pool money. Almost half of that came from 10th round pick Matt Anderson who signed for just 10K (slot of 156,600) due to being a senior draftee with no leverage.

The Pirates also have $350,395 in money they can go over their pool without losing draft picks. So in all they now have $645,595 available for over slot deals (the four unsigned picks have slot values totaling 3,519,000)

11th round pick Max Kranick has signed. No word on the amount but its a safe bet its 300+K. Competitive balance pick Nick Lodolo is the last notable pick that remains unsigned.

It appears as if Nick Lodolo will not sign. The Pirates assuming they have an offer out of at least 40% slot value will get a replacement pick in next year's draft.

Assuming Lodolo doesn't sign the Pirates have a little more than 100K they can spend without losing a draft pick. Add that to the max of 100K which doesn't count against the cap and they could still offer an unsigned player around 200K. Not sure that gets anyone but we'll find out by Friday which is the signing deadline.

Lodolo reportedly turned down 1.75 million dollars from the Pirates. I mean good for the guy for wanting to go to college and all but the chances of him besting that in three years certainly isn't great. Good luck to him though.

With the remainder of their funds the Pirates have signed Austin Shields for $205K which is basically every penny they could spend without forfeiting a draft pick. He is another prep arm and honestly I think I'd rather have him and next year's 42nd pick than Lodolo so this series of events is perfectly fine by me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12