Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Does Alec Burks have the mentality that will allow him to be ok with backing up Hood & Heyward? If he did ask out, what do Jazz fans think would be an ideal package for him?

Quote Originally Posted by S.L.ugger View Post
    Does Alec Burks have the mentality that will allow him to be ok with backing up Hood & Heyward? If he did ask out, what do Jazz fans think would be an ideal package for him?
    Roll Tide.

As for Burks, I think we would take a first rounder for him if I'm honest. Our front office has some tough financial decisions coming in the next couple of years. So far, Burks has not lived up to his big contract at all. IF we worry at all about his willingness to come off the bench, a 1st would be great. Think about what we took for Kanter. Burks has a longer contract, but it's not a value contract due to his injury history.

So a mid-first without taking back contracts would probably be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by S.L.ugger View Post
    I think Alec's future with the Jazz is definitely off the bench. I also don't think a team would have to wait for him to become disgruntled and ask out if they wanted to trade for him, I think the front office would listen to that right now.

With the cap about to go up, Burks' contract doesn't look so bad, but I wasn't a big fan of it in the first place, and I would be ok moving on. His health problems the past two years have to be a red flag, so I don't know what his trade value would be, I have a hard time seeing a team trying to trade for him straight up. I always thought his value in a trade would be as part of a package for someone else. $9 million dollars to help match salaries, who could be productive if he stays healthy. But, hell, this team moved on from a disgruntled #3 overall pick for what could be a second round pick, or late first round at best, and let the top two leading scorers on a playoff team walk without any compensation, so they seem to have a different idea of value than I do.
    Last edited by ThaBoomer; 04-28-2016 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    I don't see how dwelling on our past mistakes helps anyone. Let it go man. An NBA GM is a very difficult job. Hindsight is 20 /20. KOC was an average GM. Most of these mistakes were his. You also are pointing out mistakes that most NBA GM's made on the same players. All teams would have traded up had they known Draymond Green was going to be such a stud. On a positive note our current GM has a elite track record in the draft. We now have a very thorough draft process that is working. Just a few weeks ago Barkley called this roster "the best young talent in the NBA". Go ahead and dwell on the negative. Have a miserable offseason.
    Did chip hack your account or something?

There is a reason they teach history in school. You LEARN from the past or you make the same mistakes. Yes the DWill trade makes me weary of trading our best player away for a draft pick. Seriously all we have to show for that is Favors. That makes me cautious to make that kinda trade again. A gutted roster with a potential star is still a terrible team. I'd rather try and get a proven guy through free agency like I've stated before and draft well. And yes, I still feel like DL could have done a LOT better a few times. I've said it before, the Burke pick is just as terrible as the Gobert pick is good. Yes Hindsight is 20/20 but you have to use hindsight to try and make better decisions in the future. And I dont subscribe to the "other teams were morons too so its ok that we were idiots" mentality.

We need to try and move forward with what we have for at least another year unless the FO knows Hayward is gone, then we HAVE to get value for him. We just can't keep letting our best players walk for nothing and if we do move them for assets we have got to make better decisions with those assets. We are still trying to recover from the Deron fiasco, like it or not that's a fact.

If healthy (HUGE if at this point) this is an easy playoff team next year. We need to give it at least one more go before we blow this thing up. But if we miss the playoffs again next year then it will be obvious the current roster isn't talented enough or healthy enough to continue forward with the same group.
    Last edited by JAZZNC; 04-29-2016 at 12:05 PM.

David Locke has some pretty good podcasts. I recommend if anyone wants to talk Jazz in the off season but wants all the stats and stuff to go with it.

The last podcast, he compared the Jazz team to the Trailblazers. He said there are to major factors that made them better than us this year... 1st in the injuries. The Blazers did not experience many injuries at all this year while the Jazz obviously did. Secondly, it is the experience coming off the bench. They had players like Ed Davis off the bench while we had a rookie in Lyles. Same thing at point guard. Having a solid bench is key for any playoff team and I don't think anyone would argue ours was not good (though some of that is because of injuries).

We should not trade Burks. You should never sell low and buy high, which is what many fans tend to like to do. I am not saying we should keep Burks, but trading him before he can get on the court and show people want he can do would not be good. Everyone wants Bazemore now as a free agent. I like the guy, but he is coming off his best performance. For us to be successful year in and year out, we need to find these talents before they bust out.

I think our team is ready for the playoffs this coming year, we need to stay healthy and we need our bench to be improved.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZNC View Post
    Did chip hack your account or something?

There is a reason they teach history in school. You LEARN from the past or you make the same mistakes. Yes the DWill trade makes me weary of trading our best player away for a draft pick. Seriously all we have to show for that is Favors. That makes me cautious to make that kinda trade again. A gutted roster with a potential star is still a terrible team. I'd rather try and get a proven guy through free agency like I've stated before and draft well. And yes, I still feel like DL could have done a LOT better a few times. I've said it before, the Burke pick is just as terrible as the Gobert pick is good. Yes Hindsight is 20/20 but you have to use hindsight to try and make better decisions in the future. And I dont subscribe to the "other teams were morons too so its ok that we were idiots" mentality.

We need to try and move forward with what we have for at least another year unless the FO knows Hayward is gone, then we HAVE to get value for him. We just can't keep letting our best players walk for nothing and if we do move them for assets we have got to make better decisions with those assets. We are still trying to recover from the Deron fiasco, like it or not that's a fact.

If healthy (HUGE if at this point) this is an easy playoff team next year. We need to give it at least one more go before we blow this thing up. But if we miss the playoffs again next year then it will be obvious the current roster isn't talented enough or healthy enough to continue forward with the same group.
    I admit the Chip comment made me laugh. You make some good points. I think DL is a much better GM than KOC. I like the direction Dennis is going. I think the Warriors and Spurs just do a better job of getting the most out of each player. Look at Ian Clark. He struggled for the Jazz and he is playing with a ton of confidence for the Warriors. Yeah he still is a poor defender, but he is shooting with confidence and his teammates trust him.

Our expectations are to someday compete with the league's elite but we are too young and inexperienced to even be close. Maybe after 3 years of good health, player development, roster moves, and team chemistry we could even consider a real comparison. It is too early to know for certain. Jazz fans need to stop constantly comparing our roster to the Warriors. It took them years of development to get here. It's not like Curry and Green were dominating 4 years ago. I'll even bet some Warrior fans were posting trade ideas for them 4 years ago in hope for a superstar. Just because Hayward and Favors are near their ceiling doesn't mean Exum, Lyles, Hood and Rudy can't progress into stars. Each guy has shown flashes of potential that could get them there.

I just want to see the front office take a chance somewhere. this is a bad example because I think at this point he is too far gone, but someone like demarcus cousins. a malcontent on a different team, but one with unquestionable talent. Cousins is probably beyond what I would want, but if all it took was say favors and a small piece you would have to at least research it out and see if he fixable or not. We aren't ever going to be able to sign a super free agent, its unlikely we can get a top pick though trade or winning the lottery, and our pieces are good, but not good enough to get someone though a trade.

One thing I have noticed watching the playoffs is how well every team's big men can pass. That's really something holding our team back is the complete lack of offensive ability in our two starting bigs. Favors is good in pick and roll but he can't pass and neither can Gobert. Hell, Plumlee from the Blazers racked up double digit assists in two straight games. Even a guy like Bogut who never scores is an excellent passer. Hopefully Lyles can bring some of that to the table.

Rippin' lips son!!

Jazz lost 17 games last season by 5 points or less. That's 40% of our team's losses. Obviously this is a major problem. We keep talking about the need for a star player to take over offensively in the last 5 minutes. After looking at the advanced stats I'm not convinced that is the real problem. Offensively we shot the 11th best FG% in the last 5 minutes of a game at 41.9%. Not bad, but when you consider the age and experience of our roster it is decent. This FG% will increase with experience. Our system is designed to get a good look, not iso your best player. This is what the Spurs do and it works. It works best when all 5 guys can pass and score. Due to injuries there were many games we had to play Ingles, Booker, and Johnson at the end of the game. Opposing defenses left them open and were all over Hayward and Hood causing them to take a difficult shot. With good health and better veteran depth this FG% will improve.

http://stats.nba.com/league/team/#!/...t=FG_PCT&dir=1

Statistically we were the second worst defensive team in the last 5 minutes of a game. Giving up 48% opponent FG percentage. We are just not getting stops. What happened? I thought we were supposed to be a defensive juggernaut. This is were injuries hurt us. Rudy and Derrick both missed over 20 games, and we could have really used Exum to slow the PG dribble penetration. Besides better health we need Rudy to hit his free throws so he can be on the floor when it matters most. I believe this is a problem that can be fixed with the current roster.

http://stats.nba.com/league/team/#!/...P_FG_PCT&dir=1

According to these stats defense in the last 5 minutes is a bigger problem than offense. I'm not sure trading Favors for a scorer is a solution. Especially when other teams start hack-a-Rudy and we are forced to sit him. That is when Favors is most valuable.

After seeing these numbers what do you think?

What about Larry Sanders? He had some problems being a deer, could possibly work for Utah if he's not a complete nut job. But his D was very solid, and he would be a super cheap pickup. Utah is one of the top places for drug rehab to lol.

As for a serious name, think the Nets would trade Lopez for a first rounder to dump salary? That might be a great pickup for us.

I also really like Cody Zeller, always did, and he's always been on the trading block for Charlotte. I would love to pick him up.

As far as guards go, DeRozan would be great, but I doubt he'll leave the Raptors. I really like Lou Williams LA might trade for him and give us a discount with all the crap going on there.

That's about it for the SG's though, Hood and Burks are actually pretty high on the PER chart compared to the rest of the nba.

As far as SF's go that can play multiple positions, I'd LOVE to see us shoot for someone like Galinari. Or Rudy Gay. I think that would be the perfect fit for our backup roster with that veteran peice we need.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefistus View Post
    What about Larry Sanders? He had some problems being a deer, could possibly work for Utah if he's not a complete nut job. But his D was very solid, and he would be a super cheap pickup. Utah is one of the top places for drug rehab to lol.

As for a serious name, think the Nets would trade Lopez for a first rounder to dump salary? That might be a great pickup for us.

I also really like Cody Zeller, always did, and he's always been on the trading block for Charlotte. I would love to pick him up.

As far as guards go, DeRozan would be great, but I doubt he'll leave the Raptors. I really like Lou Williams LA might trade for him and give us a discount with all the crap going on there.

That's about it for the SG's though, Hood and Burks are actually pretty high on the PER chart compared to the rest of the nba.

As far as SF's go that can play multiple positions, I'd LOVE to see us shoot for someone like Galinari. Or Rudy Gay. I think that would be the perfect fit for our backup roster with that veteran peice we need.
    Nice list. I can tell it is well thought our because these are all very realistic possibilities.

Lopez would want too many minutes. Zeller yes. DeRozan would be awesome. Lou Williams yes if we traded Alec. Getting Galinari or Gay would be great if the price wasn't too high. Both can pass and spread the floor. That would move Hood to the bench. Galinari has 3 years left, Gay 2 years (PO).

Let me add a few. Lots of nice wing players available this offseason. Warriors can't afford to match Harrison Barnes long term. Batum is a nice all around player. Both Barnes and Batum we would have to overpay and commit to long term. Translation we would be giving up on signing Hood and Hayward long term. Great options if a trade is made.

Take this with a grain of salt, it's Colin Cowherd, who is not exactly Adrian Wojnarowski when it comes to breaking news, but he has been reporting that the Lakers would indeed be looking to trade their top pick. Throwing this down since the idea has been discussed frequently over the last several pages.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...2016-nba-draft

like even if they are trading it and though hayward was enough I don't think the jazz FO would trade hayward for the #1 pick.

Good stuff recently guys.

I'll put this here for now. Boston sounds committed more to trying to win now than groom a young player. http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1020201

As for the last 5 minutes, we aren't good at o or d if you simply watch the games. Close games are won by stars because they make plays and get calls. Its that easy. Stars influence the game in every aspect. We don't have a star. Just not there. If LA or Boston is willing to trade the rights to Ingram or Simmons, we gotta try.

So here is my latest plan:

Our 2015-16 roster was:
    PG Terrible then Mack
    SG Hood then terrible
    SF Hayward then terrible
    PF Favors then Lyles
    C Gobert then terrible

I suggest we do the following:

#1 We gotta realize that we aren't getting Durant or LBJ because we're Utah and we haven't been good for a while. We won't get guys like Batum, Harrison Barnes or DeRozan either. Due to Burks, Hayward and Hood, we can't guarantee a starting spots. We can't take a guy the same level as Hayward or Hood and give him Burks money. What's the point of Burks? We need realistic targets who we might overpay to know they'll come off the bench for us.

#1 Trade Hayward and Favors and any other middling picks (2017 GS, 2018 OKC and maybe even our pick this year maybe) to get either Ingram or Simmons.

#2 Sign either Courtney Lee or Gerald Henderson as wing depth. These type guys are realistic targets for us financially in roles they might agree to.

#3 Sign somebody like Luis Scola or Zaza Pachulia. We need the veteran presence and knowledgeable big man depth. Withey and Tibor are okay as a 3rd center but we can't rely on him too much.

End result:
    PG Exum, Mack
    SG Burks, Henderson/Lee
    SF Hood, Henderson/Lee
    PF Lyles
    C Gobert, Scola/Zaza
    Simmons or Ingram probably come off the bench initially until he earns his starting spot.

If you compare this roster to last year's, Burks takes the place of Hayward in the starting lineup. Statistically, he's not that far off from Hayward. If you consider that Hayward has had the benefit of the ball in his hands a majority of the time due to PG issues, his numbers are where they should be more than "wow, what a player.". We improve at PG but we know we still have a year or two before we have more positives than negatives at that position. We hopefully get a future star that allows us to bring a really good player in Burks (who becomes better as a starter for a year until replaced by the rookie) off the bench with more confidence than he has now. Lyles gets better over the next year.

In 2017, our roster looks like:
    PG Grown up Exum
    SG Established rising star Hood
    SF Established rising star Ingram or Simmons
    PF Established rising star Lyles or Simmons
    C Established defensive/rebounding star Gobert
    6th Man - one of the best 6th men in the league after a year of play Burks
    Wing Depth - Courtney Lee or Gerald Henderson.
    That's incredible. That's a title contending roster in 2017 and beyond. There is not a thing that team lacks. We have a number of shooters, passers, defenders, rebounders and slashers.

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast