Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    To start off the refreshed thread - Ben Simmons. Now discuss...

I really want to see a good pg on this team. look at enes kanter before and after he started to play with westbrook http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/...47/enes-kanter

from 49% to 57%. having a point guard who can create for others is such a huge advantage. Hayward and hood are decent passing wings, but neither of them are close to elite at it. problem is I can't imagine that exum is every that guy either. Mike Conley does hit free agency and would be a huge addition for this team, but would he really leave Memphis and if he did would he really come here.

Passing is one of the number one reasons why I want to play Lyles more and target Ben Simmons. Simmons will be a Draymond Green or LBJ type SF/PF in terms of passing. Everybody gets better looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lo Porto View Post
    Passing is one of the number one reasons why I want to play Lyles more and target Ben Simmons. Simmons will be a Draymond Green or LBJ type SF/PF in terms of passing. Everybody gets better looks.
    I know you want simmons, but even if the Jazz wanted him(which is very likely, but very unlikely they would be willing to give up what you would), the chances that team would be willing to give up a top 2 pick for hayward or favors is so unlikely. I know you pointed out teams that might, but its just a might. Don't be upset when there is a 99.9% chance it doesn't happen.

Anyone seeing the injury updates on Curry? Can't help but wonder what would happen if it was us playing them and not the Rockets. ......

2011 Denver Bronco PSD Forum Fantasy Football Champion!
    2013 Denver Bronco PSD Forum Fantasy Football 2nd Place

The problem is we have Exum. No great PG would want to come to Jazz knowing that Exum is our guy until he proves that he is not. We don't know if Exum is the answer... but we don't know that he isn't. So as much as we want to just be able to sign a great PG and fix the problem, as long as we have Exum, we have to wait for him to prove himself one way or another.

Ideally next year Exum comes back as a capable starter and Mack backs him up. Remember Mack didn't have much time to mesh with his teammates. So Mack I hope is improved and Exum had a year to learn. So I know we want to just fix things by bringing someone else new in, but it just isn't that easy...

Quote Originally Posted by Raupie View Post
    The problem is we have Exum. No great PG would want to come to Jazz knowing that Exum is our guy until he proves that he is not. We don't know if Exum is the answer... but we don't know that he isn't. So as much as we want to just be able to sign a great PG and fix the problem, as long as we have Exum, we have to wait for him to prove himself one way or another.

Ideally next year Exum comes back as a capable starter and Mack backs him up. Remember Mack didn't have much time to mesh with his teammates. So Mack I hope is improved and Exum had a year to learn. So I know we want to just fix things by bringing someone else new in, but it just isn't that easy...
    Excellent post. So true.

Another reason why I want to trade for Ben Simmons even if it means using Hayward and Favors. Our contention depends on Exum, Lyles, Hood and Gobert as much as Hayward. Since he can opt out next year, trade him to build a super team for the moment when they are developed (which is 2 years down the road) except for being maybe the Griz because we can't contend even with this team for 2 more seasons if we even keep it together.

And I know getting Simmons is as hard as luring Durant (1%), but we gotta have goals with a vision.

A year ago we were all excited about our future after going 19-10 in the final stretch. Due to injuries we have not seen that same team play together since. What if when healthy we really are that good? Perhaps that end of season run was no fluke. With Exum we may just be an elite defense. From a pure talent perspective we added two solid players in Lyles and Mack. We cap money to add a solid free agent and our GM has a impressive track record of solid draft picks. Realistically we will add two more solid players this offseason. Starters Exum, Hood, Hayward, Favors, and Gobert. Reserves Mack, Burks, Lyles, lottery draft pick, and a solid veteran free agent. That could give us 10 solid players to go to battle with. That looks like a 50 win team to me if healthy. If we replace Burke/Neto's minutes with Exum, replace Chris Johnson's minutes with Alec Burks, replace Booker's minutes with a blossoming Lyles, and replace Ingles minutes with a solid free agent, we should be 10 wins better. Not to mention another year of player development. There is plenty to be positive about.

Quote Originally Posted by Raupie View Post

depending on your definition of reasonable starter, it might be a bit much to expect exum to do that. guys who come off of acl injuries usually take 2 years to get over that injury, and exum was pretty terrible his first in terms of offense. I mean I am with lo, that if we are really just going to wait around for exum we should blow this team up.

Quote Originally Posted by dhopisthename View Post
    depending on your definition of reasonable starter, it might be a bit much to expect exum to do that. guys who come off of acl injuries usually take 2 years to get over that injury, and exum was pretty terrible his first in terms of offense. I mean I am with lo, that if we are really just going to wait around for exum we should blow this team up.
    Agreed, Expecting Exum to be an even average NBA starting PG is probably too ambitious. It'll be two years before he'll be back on track. I feel like signing a solid point like Conley would be great. If Exum is going to become a star he's is gonna do that regardless of who we sign. I personally don't like the idea of blowing up the team. I mean if we have to trade Favors and Hayward to get a damn draft pick where exactly does that leave us? I just look at what we got for DWill and that was a joke. We should have done much better than we did and it worries me that if we sell the farm again we are just setting ourselves back for years. Hayward and Gobert need to be kept at almost all costs.

I want to keep the team intact and continue to DRAFT WELL!!!! We can get our stud in the middle of the first round we just have to quit ****ing it up. We could have had Kawhi and Paul George and Draymond Green and McCollum. Say that out loud.

If we went pretty conservative this summer and do not blow up the team... it could look something like this...

PG - Exum, Mack, Neto
    SG - Hood, Burks
    SF - Heyward, Ingles, Valentine (rookie mocked to us in many mock drafts)
    PF - Favors, Lyles, Mirza Teletovic (a possible and realistic free agent)
    C - Gobert, Withy, Pleiss

That is 14 players. We have 2 second round picks. We probably draft one European person to keep oversees and develop. Maybe we use our other 2nd rounder on a project player that takes our 15th roster spot and spends the year in the d-league

You will notice I do not have Burke on the team. I don't think there is any way he is on the team next season. They either trade him for a draft pick, or package him with a draft pick to move up in the draft. IMO, this would be a realistic view of what the team may look like with a conservative summer. The success of this roster is dependent on health and team development. I would be ok with this roster.

I know I'm the main one pushing for a trade. But I want to be clear, I'm not going to be unhappy should we stay put. We do have a bright future with what we have, but I think the realistic ceiling is Memphis or Clippers or Bulls of recent memory. Great but not elite. If we draft a guy like Valentine, I'm on board with that. He reminds me of a wing version of Draymond Green - a comprehensive talent who played a ton of college ball under a good coach.

The reason I push trade is simple to me at least. The following core roster is as good or maybe even better than we had this year:

PG Exum, Mack
    SG Burks
    SF Hood
    PF Lyles
    C Gobert

That is a very good roster and might be our core roster starting 2017 anyway should Hayward leave (minus Favors of course or if Lyles replaces Favors as our best option with Gobert).

If we had a chance to add a future superstar to that roster, why would we hesitate? If you look at all x's and o's and contracts, do you see the reasoning?

It wouldn't be blowing it up, it would be refocusing using assets. We lost AK, Okur, Boozer, Millsap and others when we could have traded them for actual assets. At least Deron got us Favors and great draft picks (which we whiffed on but oh well). Deron could have just left for nothing....
    Last edited by Lo Porto; 04-27-2016 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    A year ago we were all excited about our future after going 19-10 in the final stretch. Due to injuries we have not seen that same team play together since. What if when healthy we really are that good? Perhaps that end of season run was no fluke. With Exum we may just be an elite defense. From a pure talent perspective we added two solid players in Lyles and Mack. We cap money to add a solid free agent and our GM has a impressive track record of solid draft picks. Realistically we will add two more solid players this offseason. Starters Exum, Hood, Hayward, Favors, and Gobert. Reserves Mack, Burks, Lyles, lottery draft pick, and a solid veteran free agent. That could give us 10 solid players to go to battle with. That looks like a 50 win team to me if healthy. If we replace Burke/Neto's minutes with Exum, replace Chris Johnson's minutes with Alec Burks, replace Booker's minutes with a blossoming Lyles, and replace Ingles minutes with a solid free agent, we should be 10 wins better. Not to mention another year of player development. There is plenty to be positive about.
    This is what I've been thinking about lately actually, and in my opinion, the issue is that we WERE injured. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Favors hasn't had a season where he didn't miss a game due to back problems. Now I LOVE Favors, and think he's going to be an All-Star in a few years, as he continues to improve every year, but his health is the issue here. When he's hurt we lose. Hayward is a great player and very healthy, someone who you'd love to have as your second option on a team. Maybe he can turn into a main guy, and in a couple years he might be all over that role, but I would rather have someone who is a born leader on the floor come crunch time. If we have to trade Hayward and Favors to do that, then so be it.

We have assets, we need to use them to continue to get better, we have a great system in place with Snyder and the players know it at this point, we shouldn't completely eradicate everyone, but the roster needs to change this summer if we're to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZNC View Post
    Agreed, Expecting Exum to be an even average NBA starting PG is probably too ambitious. It'll be two years before he'll be back on track. I feel like signing a solid point like Conley would be great. If Exum is going to become a star he's is gonna do that regardless of who we sign. I personally don't like the idea of blowing up the team. I mean if we have to trade Favors and Hayward to get a damn draft pick where exactly does that leave us? I just look at what we got for DWill and that was a joke. We should have done much better than we did and it worries me that if we sell the farm again we are just setting ourselves back for years. Hayward and Gobert need to be kept at almost all costs.

I want to keep the team intact and continue to DRAFT WELL!!!! We can get our stud in the middle of the first round we just have to quit ****ing it up. We could have had Kawhi and Paul George and Draymond Green and McCollum. Say that out loud.
    I don't see how dwelling on our past mistakes helps anyone. Let it go man. An NBA GM is a very difficult job. Hindsight is 20 /20. KOC was an average GM. Most of these mistakes were his. You also are pointing out mistakes that most NBA GM's made on the same players. All teams would have traded up had they known Draymond Green was going to be such a stud. On a positive note our current GM has a elite track record in the draft. We now have a very thorough draft process that is working. Just a few weeks ago Barkley called this roster "the best young talent in the NBA". Go ahead and dwell on the negative. Have a miserable offseason.

I don't think that's what JazzNC was saying, I could be wrong, but I thought JazzNC was saying that we need to continue the trend of drafting well. Every season there are surprise players. Look at Goberts draft, he's easily the best player in that draft class, and was drafted at like 23. Think about this though, the better we draft down in the lottery zone the better our assets for trading later on.

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast