Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

The Official 2016 Off-season (Free Agents/Trade Ideas) Thread

We are pretty much using the trade thread for this, but I thought I would make an offseason thread to hopefully attract more attention about all post season moves we wish the Jazz would make, or complain about them not making.

The Jazz have improved each of the past few years, mostly from "chemistry, continuity and continued development." I think that some players have not reached their ceilings yet, and will continue to improve, and the team as a whole should improve from individual player development and continued continuity as they play together (devastating injuries not withstanding...looking at you Alec.)

I think Favors and Hayward may have a little left to develop, but after 6 years in the league, while not necessarily finished products, they are what they are going to be for the most part.

From a continued development standpoint, I am most excited about Rodney Hood, Dante Exum and Trey Lyles. I think Hood has the offensive tools to be a 17-20 ppg scorer, and could be our best option for a crunch time shooter. Lyles has a very diverse offensive skill set that got better as the year went on. Offensively, he could fit what we need better than Favors, but Derrick's defensive ability to both protect the rim, and switch everything on the perimeter cannot be statistically quantified, and Trey doesn't project to defend at that level imo. Dante is all potential, and I hope he comes back strong, and was able to learn the offense. He needs to be able to be some sort of a threat on offense if he is to start since two of the other starters can't stretch the floor.

Listening to the locker room cleanup/end of season interviews, I got the sense that the Jazz appreciate Trevor Booker, but weren't likely to bring him back. Trey Burke is not likely to be back. Chris Johnson is on a non guaranteed contract, and I hope we can upgrade his position.

So, as as for the point of this thread: By trade, free agency or any other means lets throw out the ideas to turn the Jazz into a championship contender, because we know this is probably the first place Dennis Lindsey turns to when he starts brainstorming for ideas

Need to upgrade the bench. Its a glaring weakness. I say we go after Rudy Gay. Gives a 3rd wing that can score and defend.

2011 Denver Bronco PSD Forum Fantasy Football Champion!
    2013 Denver Bronco PSD Forum Fantasy Football 2nd Place

Last edited by Lo Porto; 04-18-2016 at 11:17 AM.

Millsap finished #5 in DPOY voting (Gobert #7). For all those haters out there, we need to acknowledge we screwed up letting him go. I'm very comfortable saying we would be at least the #5 seed this year if we had Millsap instead of Favors. That's not a knock against Favors as much as praise for Millsap. His range, determination, leadership and intangibles fit our current needs more than what Favors provides. Just salivate thinking about Millsap's steals partnered with Gobert's blocks.....

One thing about Millsap was the ability to come through down the stretch. We seriously need one of those guys on the team. But who can we pick up to do this? I've given my list, I really like the idea of shooting for derozan or gay. I think the Kings are going to do what they normally do and firesale the whole team. (just my speculation)

Quote Originally Posted by Lo Porto View Post
    Millsap finished #5 in DPOY voting (Gobert #7). For all those haters out there, we need to acknowledge we screwed up letting him go. I'm very comfortable saying we would be at least the #5 seed this year if we had Millsap instead of Favors. That's not a knock against Favors as much as praise for Millsap. His range, determination, leadership and intangibles fit our current needs more than what Favors provides. Just salivate thinking about Millsap's steals partnered with Gobert's blocks.....
    I agree we should have kept Millsap. Actually we shouldn't have traded D-will for a player that plays Millsap's position. However ranking Millsap ahead of Gobert is one of the most idiotic things I have read for a while. I don't care how many steals he has, he gets beat in the paint constantly. Apparently it doesn't matter if you give up easy layups all game long.

PG - Exum, Mack, Neto
    SG - Hood, Burks
    SF - Heyward, Ingles
    PF - Favors, Lyles
    C - Gobert, Withey

Right now, barring any trades, this is how our roster and depth breaks down next year. That is 11 players I think will be on our 12 man weekly roster.

Tibor I think stays on our 15 man squad but will not be on our 12 man game roster. Burke I think gets traded to help us move up in the draft. Chris Johnson I do not think gets resigned.

If we move up in the draft and we have a mid lottery pick (instead of our current late lottery pick)... you have to think that player makes the 12 man game day roster as well. Which leaves 0 open slots for a free agent.

I am not saying we will not make any moves, but there will be some tough decisions... they could keep Jingles on the 15 man roster for his leadership but not have him dress to play. They could assign Neto to the D-League to develop since we have 2 PGs and Burks often plays PG as well. Thoughts?

Are Ingles and Withey fully guaranteed?

They are team options, so we'll know this summer if we're keeping them or not. I'm guessing we keep Ingles and let Withey walk, Exum and Ingles are good pals, so I would be surprised if Ingles leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Lo Porto:30853280
    I'll agree with this one, I miss Millsap and his toughness

2011 Denver Bronco PSD Forum Fantasy Football Champion!
    2013 Denver Bronco PSD Forum Fantasy Football 2nd Place

Quote Originally Posted by Firefistus View Post
    They are team options, so we'll know this summer if we're keeping them or not. I'm guessing we keep Ingles and let Withey walk, Exum and Ingles are good pals, so I would be surprised if Ingles leaves.
    Good call. They are not guaranteed. I would be surprised though if they let either walk. Withey was a serviceable center and with the increase of cap, someone of Withey's caliber will cost twice as much. Ingles is a glue guy who can run the offense and hit the three. He has hit his ceiling though. That is why I would be surprised if they keep him on the roster and just not dress him unless there are injuries.

I would keep them both. As was said, low level contracts are getting so much bigger. Million dollar to 2 million a year type contracts for solid depth guys like Neto, Withey and Ingles are not bad. We used to pay Raja to waste away for more than their 3 contracts combined.

Since this is the off season thread...

I still want Simmons to be the goal. Just watch the great teams play. They all have some super smooth guy who can take over the game in stretches. Simmons would be that guy for us. And I'm sure we can get him unless LAL gets the #1 pick. We have the assets. Hayward could leave in a year and Boston has already said they made an offer for him within the last year. We aren't getting Durant, Harden, Butler or other stars. We have to trade for a chance to draft a star like we did with Deron.

Maybe we will have a miracle and win the lottery. I hope everyone is praying lol.

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast