Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Orioles sign Yovani Gallardo to three year deal

Orioles signed Gallardo over the weekend to a three year, $35 million deal with a fourth year option. Definitely lower than what I thought it would be when interest was first rumored months ago. Gallardo slots in at the top of the rotation to start the year, and provides some consistency at a spot where we struggled last season and only a couple spots are really guaranteed right now. Lets see if we can get Fowler and finally call it an off-season.

The Orioles have agreed to sign Yovani Gallardo to a three-year, $35MM deal with a $13MM club option for 2019. He will be paid $9MM in 2016, $11MM in 2017, and $13MM in 2018. The 2019 option comes with a $2MM buyout, pushing the total guarantee to $35MM. The deal is pending a physical and does not include a no trade clause. The only incentives are small bonuses for awards (tweet).

GallardoInstaGallardo owns a career 3.66 ERA, 8.23 K/9, and 3.31 BB/9 across parts of nine major league seasons. After spending the bulk of his career with the Brewers, Gallardo was traded to the Rangers prior to 2015. He posted another solid campaign with a 3.42 ERA, although ERA estimators were less enthused by his work (4.00 FIP, 4.31 xFIP, 4.59 SIERA). It was his most contact oriented season – he had a career low 5.91 K/9 and 6.5 percent swinging strike rate.

The Orioles rotation was among the worst in the league last season, making Gallardo an important addition. While he’s not a traditional ace, he does have plenty of experience pitching in other bandbox ball parks. Milwaukee’s Miller Park and Texas’s Globe Life Park are two of the most home run friendly stadiums. So too is Camden Yards.

Interestingly, Baltimore inked Gallardo for substantially less than the Royals paid for Ian Kennedy. Both pitchers were expected to have similar difficulties on the free agent market. The former Padres starter is a year older than Gallardo. The two starters are comparably talented but Kennedy has the more inconsistent track record. Of course, Kennedy’s complicated deal is backloaded and includes an opt out after just two seasons, making an apples-to-apples comparison difficult. Kennedy also has a history of high strikeout rates while Gallardo is more of pitch-to-contact guy.

When the Rangers tagged Gallardo with the qualifying offer, some believed he should have accepted it. While the soon-to-be 30-year-old had a long wait to find a new home – pitchers and catchers have already reported to Orioles camp – Gallardo ultimately secured nearly three times the qualifying offer which was valued at $15.8MM this offseason. He’ll now be under contract through at least his age 32 season with a chance to return to the market in either 2019 or 2020.

Gallardo effectively replaces Wei-Yin Chen in the Orioles rotation. Chris Tillman, Ubaldo Jimenez, Kevin Gausman, and Miguel Gonzalez will undoubtedly form the rest of the rotation, although all four pitchers were disappointing in 2015. Jimenez’s 4.11 ERA was the best of the bunch while Tillman and Gonzalez finished with just under a 5.00 ERA. The club does have decent rotation depth including Odrisamer Despaigne, Tyler Wilson, Mike Wright, and out-of-options Dylan Bundy, but none of them offer a high ceiling. Gallardo is the de facto ace of this group.

The Orioles will lose the 14th overall pick in the 2016 draft as a result of the signing. The slot value of the pick is $2.97MM. The Orioles also have the 28th overall pick which they received as compensation for losing Chen. However, they would also lose that pick if they sign Dexter Fowler.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/baltimore-orioles

I hate losing the pick, but we want to compete and Gallardo should be a very solid mid rotation arm that we can count on. Just bummed with the Fowler situation, he made it much more easier for us to drop the 14th pick for Gallardo, without him it definitely made this signing less exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by WolvesJagsOs View Post
    I hate losing the pick, but we want to compete and Gallardo should be a very solid mid rotation arm that we can count on. Just bummed with the Fowler situation, he made it much more easier for us to drop the 14th pick for Gallardo, without him it definitely made this signing less exciting.
    I definitely wanted Fowler more than I wanted Gallardo. At this point, if we are doing well close to the deadline, I am sure we move whatever assets are left to get some sort of SP improvement. This is pure speculation and hope on my part, but I really believe Bundy sneaks into the rotation and moves Gonzalez to the bullpen or off the team permanently.

As for OF help, if we can't sign Austin Jackson, I'd rather just let Rickard platoon with someone. People get saying Pedro Alvarez, and we will hit a ton of homers, but no one will be on base for them and we will strike out a ton.

Missing out on Fower was a blow, and I agree I'd rather have had him over Gallardo. The Gallardo deal was a good one. He's a productive pitcher for sure, even if he's declining perhaps, but that's not much of a contract. Losing the pick hurts, but now that we didn't get Fowler the pick doesn't hurt as much.

I didn't want Alvarez. I understand that he can be very productive at the plate. He's going to at least be somewhat productive offensively, and if he can put up a random career year he can be a huge addition to the lineup. But we need people to get on base. We have to pray that Kim can do that. I'll take Alvarez because he's an upgrade, but I wish we could have Trumbo DH and just find someone who can play the outfield and get on base.

I don't see Gonzalez falling out of the rotation. I think he'll have a nice year. Jimenez is my one worry in the rotation. Even with his contract I could see him falling out.
    Last edited by Driven; 03-13-2016 at 10:30 AM.

It looks like Kim is finally coming around after really struggling to start spring training. We have to hope for him to get on base, because it's him, Machado and Davis. I am somewhat hopeful that Schoop finds the brake every once in a while, but he may be another boom or bust bat.

I think Alvarez and Trumbo end up in a platoon situation somehow. I think Rickard sticks and gets some at-bats in that kind of rotation as well.

I also agree on Jimenez. He had a great first half last year, but was dreadful in the second. He has not been as good as I thought, but then again, I did think he would struggle coming over to us.